PDA

View Full Version : pc correct orgers,

silverfox57
20-Sep-08, 19:17
hi all orgers,as am in late 50 Th's and computer is only fews years old in our house,have had no training at all, have self taught,with lots of mistakes a long the way,question are most of you keyboard experts or is there some like me ,where children and grandchild laugh at my one finger on keyboard,as they can all work keyboard like piano,:lol:now by posts that most of you are experts,was interested to know if they are more new to the age of the internet.

TRUCKER
20-Sep-08, 19:26
I am a one finger orger silverfox. Just let them laugh.

Julia
20-Sep-08, 19:29
I touch type, never look at the keyboard, if I do it slows me right down and I get confused. :confused

pat
20-Sep-08, 19:35
typing skills, not too bad - computer skills, try it and find out, if problems phone a pal, desperation straits call in Murdo the computer repair man and he will fix whatever I have done wrong.
Cannot seem to get a computer course I can attend where I live due to the hours I am available.
Would like to have someone to help me find out about the computer and fix my mistakes whilst trying how to do all the things you should be able to do on computer.
Now I can send email and go on the org and a few other forums, must find out how to send more than 1 scanned picture per email (having trouble with this one but will get there)

Perserverance is the answer - we will overcome the machine!
It will only spout out what we put in - so do not blame the machine for our errors in input.

Loafer
20-Sep-08, 19:43
SF57

I work in Dounreay and when I was first thrust in front of a computer I absolutely keeched masel!!! But I am basically self-taught with people helping me along the way, and I learn something new EVERY day.

I have a 9-year-old niece who knows everything that there is to know about computers and games and everything there is about what I would call the "silicon chip".

There is no doubt that youngsters are are more up to date with computers, but if you look back to the days of your Grandad, he would have been been shocked at your 45 speed record player, wouldn't he? He wouldn't have even have a clue how to use it!

It's just simple technology advancement!!!!

The Loafer

dook
20-Sep-08, 20:10
I touch type, never look at the keyboard, if I do it slows me right down and I get confused. :confused

Mer too. Iye findf I tipe a lottt bettur thaat wag

bobandag16
20-Sep-08, 20:16
hi all orgers,as am in late 50 Th's and computer is only fews years old in our house,have had no training at all, have self taught,with lots of mistakes a long the way,question are most of you keyboard experts or is there some like me ,where children and grandchild laugh at my one finger on keyboard,as they can all work keyboard like piano,:lol:now by posts that most of you are experts,was interested to know if they are more new to the age of the internet.
i am 88 years old. did not want a computor but told that it would keep my mind active.sometimes use two fingers. caithness org. local news and gossip. play games .use online billing and buying .can make real mess sometimes. can call in the experts if needed. other hobbies are dropping at the moment. never to old to learn.:)

nellie
20-Sep-08, 20:46
i GOT MY COMPUTER AT THE AGE OF 66 WITH THE HELP OF MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW i MANAGE TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THIS NEW AGE
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

balto
20-Sep-08, 20:47
Normally i would be fast on the old keys, but the keyboard i am using at the moment is just a loan, unto i get round to buying a new one, but certain keys wont work unless you really press them hard, and if you go to fast then you dont notice a few letters missing and you have to go back over it. real pain in the neck.

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-08, 21:34
Good question silver fox.
I type with one hand and scratch a hole in the top of my head with the other whilst trying to spell.:D
I have found that since I have been on the org that my spelling and typing speed has got better. I even bought a dictionary from Lidl this week for 99p.
Regardless of what you say or how you spell it silver fox I always feel that your input to the org is interesting and valid.

domino
20-Sep-08, 23:09
It is all about trying. keep up the good work. they say there is always someone worse. it may be me

wifie
20-Sep-08, 23:32
Good question silver fox.
I type with one hand and scratch a hole in the top of my head with the other whilst trying to spell.:D
I have found that since I have been on the org that my spelling and typing speed has got better. I even bought a dictionary from Lidl this week for 99p.
Regardless of what you say or how you spell it silver fox I always feel that your input to the org is interesting and valid.

Lookin forward to you typin in german Kev! [lol]
I can touch type a skill I learnt at THS many moons ago on a machine from the dark ages - it is a skill I love havin! My pc skills now they are a very different matter - but hey I am learnin and am definitely not scared of the darned thing any more! :D

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-08, 23:47
Lookin forward to you typin in german Kev!
I can touch type a skill I learnt at THS many moons ago on a machine from the dark ages - it is a skill I love havin! My pc skills now they are a very different matter - but hey I am learnin and am definitely not scared of the darned thing any more! :D

Dis das dis goood ya, zerra goood.:lol:

Anne x
20-Sep-08, 23:47
Lookin forward to you typin in german Kev! [lol]

I learnt my typing at GTC by a lecturer I was terrified off but computers at work was 12 yrs ago not a scooby had to learn from scratch and still not literate on subject but get by
Shopping on Internet fairly got me up to pace a bit better

wifie
20-Sep-08, 23:50
Dis das dis goood ya, zerra goood.:lol:

Ye were done - I dunno what lingo that is! [lol]

Lolabelle
21-Sep-08, 11:08
I learnt to type at school and I touch type and if I look at the keys I get totally muddled. But I must say that the back space key is nearly worn away!

Computers was a trial and error experience! And still is :eek:

joxville
21-Sep-08, 12:18
I had business studies as a subject when I was at school, which included typing lessons. The teacher said it was a skill that would come in handy. Sod that-typing is for girls, was my response. Thirty years later how I've come to regret not learning, although I must be the fastest two-fingered typist in the country lol .

cuddlepop
21-Sep-08, 12:21
one finger typer to start with and now i can use two hands and a few fingers but touch type? i think I'll leave that to the experts.

i've tried professional computer classes and found them boring so gave up.
Dont think i'll ever get my PC passport but who needs it when the computer for me is for fun......something the Org use to be :roll:

Oddquine
21-Sep-08, 12:32
One finger on each hand typist....fast enough for me..and too fast for the org limits to the timing of consecutive posts.

Learned all I know, such as it is, by trial and error........plus books and internet friends.

Tighsonas4
21-Sep-08, 12:51
i am 88 years old. did not want a computor but told that it would keep my mind active.sometimes use two fingers. caithness org. local news and gossip. play games .use online billing and buying .can make real mess sometimes. can call in the experts if needed. other hobbies are dropping at the moment. never to old to learn.:)
thanks for that bonandag at 82 it encouraging me to plod on tony [lol]