PDA

View Full Version : Lost at Sea Campbell

lindadorren
19-Sep-08, 23:14
I would appreciate some help in trying to trace more information on one of my ancestors David Campbell who was lost at sea according to family legend.

The info I have is limited and amounts to the following:-

married in 1871 to Williamina Harper
age given as 27 which would mean born about 1843/44
parents on marriage cert. listed as David Campbell, fisherman and Janet(Charlotte?) Baillie
occupation shown as Fisherman
this couple had 2 children - Davidina Campbell Harper, born 1868 and George Campbell Harper born 1873
Williamina is shown as a widow in 1881 census and living in Scalesburn with other family members
Williamina went on to own and run the Crown Hotel in Wick along with her son George. Davidina married a James Bremner.
Family legend says that David and Williamina had a major row about him going back to sea and that when he left the home she told him not to return - and he didn't - but I don't know if he drowned or disappeared. By all accounts Williamina was not the most pleasant of people and perhaps he simply wanted to find a way out.

Any more info would help greatly as I am stuck with this bit of my Mum's family and have been for some considerable time.

Many thanks

Linda

Names in my tree: Sutherland, Campbell, Henderson, Durran, Laurie, Harper, Houston, Steven and Clark(e)( and more)

domino
20-Sep-08, 19:03
Have a Johanna and John Steven plus loads of Sutherlands

cuthill
21-Sep-08, 23:30
I found David Campbell and Charlotte Baillie had 2 children
Alexander Campbell b 12/05/1839
c 19/05/1839 latheron

David Campbell b 01/02/1841
c 14/03/1841 latheron

Then David Cambell and Williamina Harper had 3 children
Davidina campbell Harper b 08/06/1868 Wick
Alexander Campbell b 29/05/1872 Wick
George harper Campbell b 29/06/1873 Wick

but sorry could not find anything about Davids drowning

Tricia
22-Sep-08, 14:38
[QUOTE=lindadorren;434563]I would appreciate some help in trying to trace more information on one of my ancestors David Campbell who was lost at sea according to family legend.

The info I have is limited and amounts to the following:-

married in 1871 to Williamina Harper
this couple had 2 children - Davidina Campbell Harper, born 1868 and George Campbell Harper born 1873
Williamina is shown as a widow in 1881 census and living in Scalesburn with other family members
Williamina went on to own and run the Crown Hotel in Wick along with her son George. Davidina married a James Bremner.
Linda =
QUOTE]

Son George Harper Campbell married Henrietta Sutherland and a daughter Henrietta married my Robert Phin MORE (my 3C2R)(skipper of The Alert) son of James Groat MORE & Mary Ann SINCLAIR.
Tricia
born a MORE in Wick

lindadorren
22-Sep-08, 19:58
Cuthill,

Thanks for that - where did you find this info? I must have been looking in the wrong place. You also found anothe child for the couple - I knew nothing about Alexander, now I'll have to try and track him down!

Tricia,

I knew Etta married Rabbie More and had sons. The one I remember best is George who sailed on the trawler (The Bluebell I think). George was my mum's cousin and visited us in Edinburgh in about 1976.

Thanks both for your interest and help.

Linda

cuthill
22-Sep-08, 21:12
I got the info from the IGI site