PDA

View Full Version : Golly crime

northener
19-Sep-08, 19:52
OK, forget about which website this was on (calm down MM!).

A legitimate reason for a police investigation or simply more ridiculous PC (pun intended) correctness?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/2008/09/manchester-%e2%80%93-proud-police-make-%e2%80%9cgolly-crime%e2%80%9d-arrest/

TBH
19-Sep-08, 20:18
At least they got her on the Dna and fingerprint database, that's the main thing.

percy toboggan
19-Sep-08, 20:29
I listened to this woman on the radio this morning.
What a ridiculous state of affairs.
She clearly has a neighbour with a chip on her boyfriends shoulder.

I may well go and look for one on e.bay just for the hell of it.
As a lad I had most of those enamel Robertsons Jam/Marmaalde badges and now wished I'd kept 'em.
I think they were swapped for football programmes c. 1963.
A few were from Newcastle United & Notts County....oooeer.

balto
19-Sep-08, 21:04
read this in the paper yesterday, my god it is getting stupid now, if a child cant set a doll on the window, without her mum getting arrested for it, seems the police should be out doing something important, like catching real criminals.

George Brims
19-Sep-08, 22:04
This is getting daft (except that anything that bothers the BNP is a good thing in that respect). Here in the US the equivalent thing is "Mammy" china and other kitchenware depicting cartoonish African-American people (think Hattie McDaniel in "Gone with the Wind"). The odd thing is, a lot of African-American people collect it, though I have to say some other A-A people think they're nuts!

I would like to hear from someone of Afro-Caribbean descent on this issue, but I doubt we have any on the org. Anyone got a friend/neighbour they can ask for an opinion?

Melancholy Man
19-Sep-08, 22:04
I agree, Balto. Starting with the thugs and criminals who riddle the BNP.

I'll be lying if I said I wasn't displeased by this, but this story is discussed more rationally on third party resources, and not the website of a bunch of knuckle-scraping racists. Anyone who speaks of returning to ethnic make-up of the early 1960s which could be achieved only by mass deportations, and is so monumentally self-centred that he thinks his whims should dictate the policies of an entire country really, not to mention not having been personally dispossessed in any way, really should take a vow of silence.

<sets the Regulares onto Northerner>

northener
20-Sep-08, 08:27
Personally I'm 50/50 on this one.

The doll could have been part of an ongoing feud and deliberately placed there or it could be an innocent mistake...certainly the coverage implies this is not the first complaint against the woman...but that could be a vendetta on someone elses' part as opposed to hers.

I've got to say, MM that the coverage on the BNP site differs very little from the cover in the Manchester Evening News:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1067036_woman_arrested_over_golly_doll

That is providing you ignore the criticism of Manchester Plod in general and the crude link to the 'Race murder' in the article. So I think we can say that the bare bones of the case are correct.

The Swedish Chef
20-Sep-08, 09:00
In fairness to the Poice they probably thought it was ridiculous to arrest the woman but their hands are tied when it comes to legislation and complaints concerning race or complaints from ethnic minorities.

I regularly read this blog .. http://inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/ .. its by a serving Inspector and highlights the ridiculous circumstances that the Police have to operate under. Just check out the lead story, the one below about the Police dogs is hilarious too.

Kevin Milkins
20-Sep-08, 09:25
OK, forget about which website this was on (calm down MM!).

A legitimate reason for a police investigation or simply more ridiculous PC (pun intended) correctness?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/2008/09/manchester-%e2%80%93-proud-police-make-%e2%80%9cgolly-crime%e2%80%9d-arrest/

It all seems very daft but this is not the first time this has happend.
A few years back a shopkeeper ( from Bromyard or Tenbury Wells, can't remember ) was called to his shop in the town after midnight by the police.
When he got to his shop he thought he had been the victim of a burgary,/blue lights flashing ,etc.
He could not believe what he was hearing when the police informed him that they had recieved a complaint from a member of the public that he had a toy golly wog for sale in his window and he was to remove it immiedeatly.

tigger2u
20-Sep-08, 11:36
I seen these on sale in the shops of Edinburgh a few months ago. so they havent gone completely.

I have to say as a kid growing up in the 60's/70's when this image was around us daily. I never seen this image as a reflection of black people around the world, even though it wasnt till i went to High School till I met anyone that wasnt of a different race.
I guess my point is that a simple doll on its own doesnt make a racist it is a parents teachings that have the biggest influences on children and what we see or feel when we see this image is based on our own experiences, upbringing and beliefs. so i guess I think an arrest just for owning the doll is too much but i bet theres more to the story.

The image of this doll brings me lots of happy and innocent memories of my childhood, espcially of the jam pieces we used to make with huge doorstops lol. But even at that I wouldnt buy anything with it on it now as I can see why it can offend and what it represents to the black community.

teenybash
20-Sep-08, 12:00
It is so ridiculous that an arrest has taken place because of a childs doll.
Okay, so it is a characature and happens to be black....but take a look at some of the Cabbage patch dolls and others with their exaggerated features.....suely this is taking the race card too far and things are going beyond the point of sanity and reason.

Melancholy Man
20-Sep-08, 14:06
It's a bit rich of the BNP to claim the law is slanted against 'whites' {1}when their party's leader can be acquitted (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6137722.stm) of incitement, and the killing of local organizers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7588105.stm) whilst they had their hands around the throats of the accused's son can *still* resulting in a manslaughter conviction.

The bare bones - praise God! - is that this is a symptom of Macpherson's précis that allegations of racism must be disproved, and the wretched Human Rights Act - and its demon spawn, the human rights lawyer - which panders to narcissism and senses of entitlement. Such as those who think that because they didn't vote for a certain policy, or that they wish for another, the rest of the world should stand to attention.

At one end you have this, or the reactionaries in the MCB and its ilk; at t'other you have British Empire leaguists and their inheritors who haven't got to grips with the waning of European political supremacy. I was wrong, this case ain't discussed on that many third party resources. Thus, picking from just two risks bias.

If the BNP said the sea were blue, I'd retort that it was merely reflections from the sky.

{1} Such as the activist, yes in a rural area, on one of those family history proggies who discovered a grandparent was Gypsy. Although, she'd have as much support from the grassroots as Simone Clarke: "Presumably the growth in numbers of Gypsies, and thus the need for additional sites, is due to the influx of Gypsies from the old Ottoman lands of Eastern Europe. I propose that when the BNP has formed a government, a distinction should be made between “our” Gypsies, those who have been here for more than 3 generations, and newcomers. As Britain will no longer then be part of the EU, we shall be in a position to expell the newcomers" (do a google).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

percy toboggan
20-Sep-08, 15:33
..... I propose that when the BNP has formed a government, a distinction should be made between “our” Gypsies, those who have been here for more than 3 generations, and newcomers. As Britain will no longer then be part of the EU, we shall be in a position to expell the newcomers" (do a google).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Very funny.

Yet again you conjure confusion with your peculiar style of making a point.
If you really think the BNP has a cat in hells of chance of ever 'forming a government' in this country then you answer all of my questions about you.

Actually though there's only one. Are you a crackpot?

Melancholy Man
20-Sep-08, 15:36
Very funny.
If you really think the BNP has a cat in hells of chance of ever 'forming a government' in this country then you answer all of my questions about you.

And if you had basic literacy skills, you'd have seen I was quoting one of the muppet-babies on the BNP website.

dook
20-Sep-08, 17:35
Doh. I thought this log was about a window being broken in Glengolly.

percy toboggan
20-Sep-08, 22:59
And if you had basic literacy skills, you'd have seen I was quoting one of the muppet-babies on the BNP website.

What I actually lack is a willingness to study your posts in any detail.
I just pick up on certain statements.

Tiresome and tenuous at best, rambling and vague.
It's not literacy skills I'd need, more an appetite for the tedious.

Melancholy Man
21-Sep-08, 00:25
What I actually lack is a willingness to study your posts in any detail.
I just pick up on certain statements.

Once again, an admission that you're simply trolling.

percy toboggan
21-Sep-08, 16:58
Once again, an admission that you're simply trolling.

I'm not sure what this means.
If it's an admission that you've stumbled upon a Billy Goat Gruff then
you're right. A bridge too far for your rambling nature perhaps.

joxville
21-Sep-08, 17:06
On the basis that a golliwog doll is deemed offensive to coloured people, does that mean hundreds of shopkeeper's in Scotland should be fined for displaying kilted dolls which are not representative of the Scots as a whole?

The modern Scottish doll would be wearing football colours, have a couple of scars, smoking a spliff and carrying a bottle or three of Buckfast.

Rheghead
21-Sep-08, 18:00
I saw a golly for sale in a shop window just a month ago, mind you it wasn't on the GMP's patch.