PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Caithness - October?

Bruce_H
19-Sep-08, 15:18
Hello all

It looks like fortune has smiled on me and I get to return to Scotland, possibly in late October. While I am going to spend the bulk of my time visiting relatives in East Kilbride (by Glasgow), I would love to come visit Caithness, even for a couple of days.

Anyone care to share some tips for a Yank who has never been? I am particularly keen to see the Dunbeath area, as that is where my family was originally from (and some distant relatives still live there I think).

Thanks for any and all tips!

Bruce H
San Diego, California

The Swedish Chef
19-Sep-08, 17:01
31 views and no advice, tut tut.

I would take the train up from Inverness, ok it takes around four hours to do about 130 miles but the scenery is stunning. Everything there, hills, rivers towns, harbours and even Oil Rigs off the coast. This time of year I would take the 11am one as it gets dark early in Caithness. Not sure about Dunbeath as I am not a Caithness resident (I just married one) but I will speak to the other half and see what she can suggest.

hotrod4
19-Sep-08, 17:28
Hope you enjoy your stay up here.
To be honest theres not much to see at Dunbeath but they do have an excellent clan centre. You will probably find the scenery stunning. If you are driving you will have to look out for "the ord" of Caithness. It is a rather large steep hill but once your round the tight bend at the top there is a parking space where you will get an amazing view.
The best thing about Caithness is the people you wont find friendlier people anywhere. Just ask a local anything when you arrive and they are guaranteed to help you.
If its a relaxing beautiful trip your after then you wont be disappointed. :)

northener
19-Sep-08, 19:16
Bruce, if you plan to go to Dunbeath, before you go, read Neil M Gunns' excellent 'Highland River', the novel is inspired by the Strath of Dunbeath.

It's a wonderful walk as well as a good book.

His most famous book 'Silver Darlings' would give you a feel for life in all the little fishing harbours along our coastline when they were in their heyday.

As for other places, things to do and see - what are your main interests?

Sightseeing, history, wildlife?

Give us an idea and I'm sure we can give you some good pointers.

ywindythesecond
19-Sep-08, 19:27
To be honest theres not much to see at Dunbeath but they do have an excellent clan centre. You will probably find the scenery stunning. If you are driving you will have to look out for "the ord" of Caithness. It is a rather large steep hill but once your round the tight bend at the top there is a parking space where you will get an amazing view.
The best thing about Caithness is the people you wont find friendlier people anywhere. Just ask a local anything when you arrive and they are guaranteed to help you.

Bruce H, I can't believe hotrod wrote this!
Walk up the Strath. Drive up to Braemore. Go down to the harbour. Check out the Heritage Centre (do this first for best advice).
Apart from that, I agree with hotrod.
ywy2

Bruce_H
19-Sep-08, 19:55
Thanks all of the kind responses. My interests will be history and having a good walk about. I know by late October the days are getting much shorter that far north, but I am guessing there are some great hikes to be had anyhow.

I am sure it is going to be magical, as I have a great ongoing love of Scotland anyhow, and Caithness is such a rich and wonderful place to walk and see. I have looked at pictures here and other places, but like most areas of the world it cannot do justice to the place itself.

I think the suggestion about the train north is a great one, thanks!

As for the Heritage Centre, are they still open in the fall, or is that just a spring / summer visit?

Bruce H

northener
19-Sep-08, 20:09
Thanks all of the kind responses. My interests will be history and having a good walk about. I know by late October the days are getting much shorter that far north, but I am guessing there are some great hikes to be had anyhow.

I am sure it is going to be magical, as I have a great ongoing love of Scotland anyhow, and Caithness is such a rich and wonderful place to walk and see. I have looked at pictures here and other places, but like most areas of the world it cannot do justice to the place itself.

I think the suggestion about the train north is a great one, thanks!

As for the Heritage Centre, are they still open in the fall, or is that just a spring / summer visit?

Bruce H

http://www.wickheritage.org/index.asp

Says "Open Easter until end of October" at the bottom of the homepage...it's a must see destination, Bruce.

George Brims
19-Sep-08, 21:54
Bruce, speaking as someone who lives just a couple of hours north of you in CA, your first move should be a trip to your local Bass outlet, REI, or similar to buy some nice warm outdoor clothes! Something that keeps out the wind and rain is essential. However be prepared to cast it all off and just wear jeans and a sweater if you hit lucky. Of course you can find yourself in all sorts of weather within a short time on the same day.

Other recommendations: Dunnet head, Duncansby head, John o'Groats if you like coastal scenery. Pulteney Distillery tour (everybody likes whisky, right?).

Enjoy yourself.

DeHaviLand
19-Sep-08, 22:13

Do you not drive Hotrod? Thats Berriedale Braes you described. The Ord is further south, and certainly not steep.

Bruce_H
19-Sep-08, 22:30
Ah yes, the weather - I was going to outfit like a trip to visit the cousins in Glasgow - or should I get more prepared than that?

The good lord and the Caithness DNA have made me more impervious to cold than most, but I have never been there....

If the Dunbeath Heritage Centre is going to be open, it is the primary goal of my journey, as I am sure it has a wealth of information about all things Dunbeath, maybe even a few facts about Hendersons I have yet to discover.

Bruce