PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help ?

angela5
07-Jan-06, 19:15
hi, i had problems with my computer today the whole thing crashed i had to put it back to factory settings then re-install windows xp. Everything is now ok but the scroll down and up is very slow does anyone know how i can make it faster, any help much appreciated.

Saveman
07-Jan-06, 19:17
hi, i had problems with my computer today the whole thing crashed i had to put it back to factory settings then re-install windows xp. Everything is now ok but the scroll down and up is very slow does anyone know how i can make it faster, any help much appreciated.

Goto Control Panel then Mouse then click on the Wheel section

Speed can be adjusted there.

EDDIE
07-Jan-06, 19:22
If you have just reinstalled windows buy what you saying it sounds as if its the graphic card driver is the problem you probably have a default driver installed to get you going you will have to either install the graphics card driver from the cd rom or go to the website of the graphics card and download the latest version

angela5
07-Jan-06, 19:29
If you have just reinstalled windows buy what you saying it sounds as if its the graphic card driver is the problem you probably have a default driver installed to get you going you will have to either install the graphics card driver from the cd rom or go to the website of the graphics card and download the latest version

Thanks eddie for your speedy reply i'll give it a try.

EDDIE
07-Jan-06, 19:33
you will easy no if its the graphics driver if you try resizing a window smaller and dragg it with your mouse and if its slow moving and jittering if u like its the driver i get that every time i install windows xp and it goes way once the graphics driver is installed

jjc
07-Jan-06, 23:09
...the scroll down and up is very slow does anyone know how i can make it faster...
Which 'scroll' are you talking about: holding down the 'down' (or 'up') arrow to scroll to the bottom of a document/web page; clicking on the scroll bar on the right of a document/web page; holding down the 'page down' or 'page up' key?

Before you start worrying about incorrect graphics-drivers etc. (Windows XP is pretty good at installing the right graphics driver for the most well-known graphics cards anyway) it is worth checking the basics.

If the problem is that holding down the arrow keys seems to scroll too slowly (or the page up/page down keys) then it might be that your repeat rate for your keyboard is set too low. To verify that, open a blank document or notepad, hold down any letter key and see if it seems a little sluggish repeating the letter. To fix this, go to Control Panel | Printer & Other Hardware | Keyboard and play with your repeat rate and repeat delay until you are happy with the speed.

If it's the wheel-scroll on your mouse then as Savey suggests, check the wheel speed in Control Panel.

I can't stress enough that it is always worth checking the basics before you go looking for the more complicated causes... mostly because the more complex the 'fix' the more likely it is that getting it wrong will cause more problems.

Cheers,

JJC

angela5
08-Jan-06, 01:29
Thanks jjc, i am working from a laptop using the arrows to scroll up and down and the curser and i have tried keyboard settings that you have suggested, its still very ,very slow. I've also checked the graphic driver and everything is okay according to windows fix it.

jjc
08-Jan-06, 01:33
Thanks jjc, i am working from a laptop using the arrows to scroll up and down and the curser and i have tried keyboard settings that you have suggested, its still very ,very slow. I've also checked the graphic driver and everything is okay according to windows fix it.
Is it only slow to scroll on websites, or do long documents (if you have one to test this) also scroll slowly?

angela5
08-Jan-06, 01:46
I'ts just websites only, i telephoned aol and spoke to them made me do various things, latterly they could'nt find a problem with settings i was told to un-install aol and re-install it, done that still the same.

EDDIE
08-Jan-06, 10:34
Well the only thing i can think of if its on the internet is have you got java enabled on your computer thats in your internet properties in advanced.
The reason i said graphics card driver was wehn i install xp after i have formated my computer the screen is slow whe u drag or scroll or move anything once i put the graphics driver back in its ok.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 11:31
Well the only thing i can think of if its on the internet is have you got java enabled on your computer thats in your internet properties in advanced.
The reason i said graphics card driver was wehn i install xp after i have formated my computer the screen is slow whe u drag or scroll or move anything once i put the graphics driver back in its ok.

I will try that, many thanks.