PDA

View Full Version : Venues or lack of them

Gleber2
07-Jan-06, 18:52
The biggest problem facing young bands in the North is the lack of venues.In the cities these days young unknown groups have to pay for the privilige of entertaining an audience. Not on!!!!
If a move were to to be made to start organising events in the various public halls in Caithness,would the audience support it by attending or would they just continue to support the vendors of alcohol and the CD players?

Uppiebalad
07-Jan-06, 20:42
Now before anyone blows off thinking, what's Uppie coming with now, note that I have before me a copy of "Revealing The Vision Of Caithness", an arts development study of Caithness and I'm going to work from this document to deliver my viewpoint. So bare in mind this document was the result of wide ranging consultaion amongst artists of ALL interests in Caithness. Your area was voiced locally by Cinema For Thurso Group along with issues facing amateur film makers. Well done CFT!
Now there is a unbelievably wide range of venue provision in Caithness however it is the case that venues are remote with poor or no transport connections and very much under-fasilitated. These aspects makes the difficult situation that the community faces for arts provision generally.
Across the county there is a large auditoria capacity but it's a bit here, a bit there and a little more on the top of a hill somewhere. For both audience and performers this is just useless. Even if you can get to the venue you may be faced with failure at basic levels such as inadiquate number of power sockets. Plug in your amp and watch the lights go out- you can't have it all!
Then theres the audience capacity. You obviously have a magic number that is the break even point for the costs but many venues can't meet the cost needs of a band.
The Scottish Executive has a specific directive regarding venue provision in Thurso which states quite catagorically the need for a performance space of 250 to 300 seated with full stage fasilities, backstage and front of house.
In the glorious technicolor past Thurso Picture House and Wick Pivilion cinemas both put on bands and concerts regularly. Thurso Picture House was built as a cinema/theatre so it was fully provisioned for both film and live performance. Those days are gone and along with the 465 house capacity.
It's between Thurso High School and Skinandis for seated audience but Skinandis seats are spread throughout a building in an irratic way which is far from ideal compared to it's former life as a cinema. Remarkably however, Skins still seats around 350. Up side for Skinandis is that it is very well equiped in many respects and is fully A/V capable in proportion to it's size.
Thurso High School, well clearly a school hall not a public venue so that automaticall creates limitations even though the stage there is better equiped than the Assemble Rooms in both light and sound. The hall there is popular with orchestras due to it's acoustic values.
The Redwood is a cozy size with potential whilst the Viewfirth is large with a very poor stage best used for bingo (at a push). It is a place of legend none the less.
Drink is alas another issue, whether we like it or not a bar is an important part of the whole thing because a gig is in many respects a social occasion where all you guys and girls meet up with the same interest in music and musicians. A venue without license or bar is not good for a gig.
That doesn't help local bands though but now listen up. Have any of you spoken to Caithness Arts about venues, Boss, Estrella, Crimson Tide, I know you guys are on their arts directory pages, have you asked them about venues. Part of what they were set up to do is to persue venue provision in Thurso in accordance with the Scottish Executives words. There are things afoot that may be of worth for you guys to get your voices in about. If you don't speak up to Caithness Arts venues may always be an issue to you. Blue Mondays has one person in it's midst who has had to work with Caithness Arts and he could be your avenue of approach on the venue subject. (A bandstand in Sir John's Square would be a venue too!)
I suggest you have a look at the report, it's in your local libraries and might still be online here in Caithness.orgs archive pages- email Bill to find out. It's worth a read even though it has some huge gaps and it will help all of you to get a grip of a situation that you are not alone in.

MagicalTrevor
07-Jan-06, 20:46
What about the Yard (lol) theres been a band on for the past 2 or 3 Friday and saturdays. Although cannot confirm as my memory is strangely fuzzy (wonder why)

Uppiebalad
07-Jan-06, 21:00
It'l be all that "magic" Trevor

MagicalTrevor
07-Jan-06, 21:25
In defence of Edinburgh, its as easy as pie getting a gig. No money need change hands because every second pub has an Open Mike Night, and many others like Whistle Binkies, Henry's are desperate for bands to play. Dunno about other cities though.

(Back to Wick) Theres often bands in Hagars is there not? And the Dounreay club are often keen for live bands? Weatherspoons in Edinburgh have started getting live acts could that happen in Wick?? (no :P) The black stairs often has bands?

This whole thing about music and drink not going together - I think in the city this is less of an issue because there is the market there to attract. However in caithness music is seen more of a side-kick to drinking. Bands strike in pubs because thats where the natural congregation of regular people are. Also often in cities bigger bands play so the smaller bands get a supporting slot or an opening slot. In caithness bands have to stand on their own 2 feet. Maybe you hardcore caithness scene music enthusiasts would pay £5 to get into a drink-free charity-free concert in Wick, but I bet Joe Public wouldn'. - especially if the acts on offer are unproven.

Uppiebalad
08-Jan-06, 14:51
Wholey agree with you there Trev. Drink does seem to be the first concern in Caithness whilst the entertainment is secondary. There is a notion that one can't have a good time unless legless. It perhaps has a lot to do with long dark winter nights. There's a lot of dark hours after work to try to fill and people when bored often resort to comfort eating and drinking. Unfortunately there has been no serious attempt made to tackle these issues unlike other areas in the far north like Orkney and Shetland. Caithness does like to bury it's head when there is a real problem.
I don't know what the gig scene is currently like in Caithness so I'll take your word for it but so far there is nothing to suggest that gigs are as regular on the Thurso side of the county. That may be where some of the problem lies. There are signs of imbalance between the two areas from what I've read in here. One would have thought Thurso being that bit wealthier (?) would have had more going on but from what has been said so far it is not the case.
The easy access to venues and gigs in Edinburgh and other cities is what attracts bands from the north. Somewhere I said that Caithness is not good to it's own and this what I was talking about. In Caithness there are clearly bands looking for gigs but getting no support from venues so they look further afield. When they take there talent out of the county the big-wigs sit there wondering why the 'young folk' are leaving. In the ideal world people shouldn't have to leave there home town to achieve their goals in life but without support from within the community there will always be the exodus. 'Support' isn't just the music loving public, it has to come from local business and authorities. Unfortunately you are blessed in the Highlands with a culture department of the council (something that surfaced during the Arts study)that has sweet little interest in any kind of art. That aside some of your local councilors do support the arts but they may need more feedback to persuade them to do something.(also came up in the Arts study)
"Unproven" work is a very valid point. There is that unwritten thing that you can't charge a high ticket price for what might be classed as 'amateur' so some other insentive has to be added to pull the punters. Drink is the easy option. A Caithness bar that is not making money would be doing something terribly wrong in order to fail. When it comes to unproven I think you just have to be brave and get out there and do it regardless.

zebedy
08-Jan-06, 19:09
Hey guys Zeb here... Didnt really take in the rest of the convo you had But I feel there are venues in Thurso Wick we need to play more.. We just need to push owners into having a good music scene with inn them!

Skins - Top place to play in caithness
Waterfront - Bad acoustics in there but a good atmosphere
Britania Hall - Played there once was really good!
Redwood - Another top proper place
Central/Top Joes - Indeed another place to play
Pentland Hotel - Played there with myjazz band went dwon a treat alothough its not for a rock band in there mellower bands Jazz.. Wind yeah go 4 it!

Weigh Inn Hotel - Playing there in march... Brill place to play.. the likes of Jump teh Q play there! nice atmosphere!
Thurso High - History of music in there
Wick High - Also good
Thurso View Firth - Beinging in sum good bands.. Make use of it people it shall not be much longer!
Dounry club wick - also looking to have music

People conplain about not gettin gigs ... You need to find them your selfs. Get out there make a wee demo if you can. Sitting prakin with your band non Stop isnt going to get you a gig.. Gettin ure self out there and looking is the only way!

angela5
08-Jan-06, 23:47
I think the Barrigol Hall should have a revamp, thats where the Auction place was in Huddart Street Wick, many years ago that's where the bands played.

tierce-de-picardie
08-Jan-06, 23:48
ye really were not too badly equiped for venues. thers also the ross institute in halkirk not a bad size stage nd stuff. i dont know what the council says about duing performances in back gardens lol.i think people will come but advertisment should be seriously in advance because that seems to be the problem often l8 or ill advertisement

K dragon
09-Jan-06, 20:18
yeah about what zebedy said.

its true there are loads of venues. i totally agree but the fact that bands that dont have a lot of money have to pay to showcase their talent, its a major problem.

red wood is great but stage is too small. high school great venue and like you said major musicalk history but in some ways the high school is strangely territorial. seems to be that young bands and only young bands are allowd to play there at the most of times.

venues need to give THE BANDS a chance.

open mic nights would be great up here.

and i wish that the join between drink and music could be broken.

thats why at the mo my band are staying underground.

we would very much like to showcase some material but we feel that it qouldnt get the attention it deserved (not being big headed)

and most the venues up here only let bands in for the green paper that THEY recieve.

man it sucks that money controls everything lol

Uppiebalad
09-Jan-06, 20:48
Excellent information there Zebedy. I also note that Castletowns Drill Hall is a good venue along with the remarkable spacious hall at Wattin. Unfortunately I understand the Barrogill Hall project will not be going ahead as the North Highland College have pulled back from the idea.
You have also emphisised a point I made earlier that if the venue doesn't book you, you go to the venue. Promoting your bands is very important just to get a gig.
And as tierce says, promoting the event well in advance is also important. In my experience of promotion for live events an optimum of 21 days and minimum of 14 days are required to ensure the message reaches the audience. Striking the balance is difficult no matter how much experience you have at it. Key to remember is not to promote so far ahead that people have forgotten by the time the show goes on but also not too late so that people can plan their diary. It's not a prescise science unfortunately.
To promote in Thurso you need at least 80 posters to cover locations including cafes, chippies, sports locations bars, shops, tourist information centre, train station, ferry terminal, petrol stations, garages, bus station (add 30 posters if you put them on the actual buses) and harbours. Flyers also work well and at least 300 at key locations that sell music and video.
With garage and garden gigs you have to be careful that you don't fall foul of the public order act. Local press works to some degree for the 23 plus age group but for 12-23 you should aim at 'people' locations and media outlets such as radio and television. Skinandis has full A/V systems and you could make an advert using your own video camera or local film makers to screen at the venue or connected locations. Sounds extreme but pushing is all part of promoting because the ultimate aim is to convince the public that they need to see your gig because it's the best show in town.

wicker
12-Jan-06, 17:39
If you's play a wide variation of tunes then try the waterfront its not always a dj thats on, if they think a band is good will have a band on also sometimes

zebedy
12-Jan-06, 17:53
Ive played the waterfront before... Not bad.. Acoustics are crap... But the equip of the night and PA wasnt great!

Do you have a contact number for me?

PM if you do please!

Zeb

Reev
12-Jan-06, 20:37
we played the waterfront once, it was a disaster, they had no P.A etc

so we had to use mine

which in itself isnt very loud

and half way through our first song, it blew up

ugh, that gig sucked

:o

Uppiebalad
12-Jan-06, 22:11
The Waterfront has potensial but unfortunately it is very un-equiped. It capacity built as a big venue was aimed at maximising what could happen there but not having included in-house PA and A/V systems has nipped it's own expectation. It also has a lot of hard walls and surfaces, not enough to clean up the accoustics. A full house goes some way to dampening echo and reverb but not all the way. It would suit and orchestra or precution performance or a big band. It's also ideal Vitaphone Hi-Fidelity playback.:o That aside if you do happen to have your own resources suitable for a space that big then use it.
Viewfirth is a nice large space not to big but big enough. It also has some accuostic aspects all it's own but easyier to fill with a less powerful sound system.
The Assemble Rooms, mmm, ah, ....hmm! Dare I use the word 'cave' here?
My own experience of Skinandis is it's a bit clutered but well equipped for all kinds of performance. The house sound system serves extremly well with a good even spread of speakers through out and they serve food too, WEY HEY!
Anyone tried Liquid?

Reev
13-Jan-06, 09:48
i have mates who work in liquid, and unlike the way it used to be,

they state the place isnt equipped for bands and bands werent and havent been thought about

which kinda sucks

Uppiebalad
13-Jan-06, 19:30
A singularly bazaar position for a bar not to consider bands! I am shocked and surprised.

Deemac
14-Jan-06, 01:15
I did a gig in the Viewfirth just before Xmas last year. Not one single punter bothered to turn up . . . . (what are they trying to say?)!

Was one of the best gig's the band played the whole year!! This bodes great ill for the Viewfirth as a place where ONCE great events were to be had (Most of the time - think of it as the equivalent of Skinandis now!!!, the Weigh Inn 15 years ago).

What a great shame to see the old place reduced to this state. I suggest they demolish it as soon as possible and build some nice cute OAP flats. THE PEOPLE HAVE VOTED (with their apathy) - Yes, it had occurred to me the band WERE REALLY bad. But, a band that did about 30 or so gigs in 2005 (with 28 bookings for this year so far) must be doing something right (all locally - no big FANCY cites for US!!)

Anyway, just had to ramble for a bit. . . . .

Gleber2
14-Jan-06, 01:56
Your back must be sore with the number of pats you're giving yourself.

Jeid
14-Jan-06, 02:34
I did a gig in the Viewfirth just before Xmas last year. Not one single punter bothered to turn up . . . . (what are they trying to say?)!

Was one of the best gig's the band played the whole year!! This bodes great ill for the Viewfirth as a place where ONCE great events were to be had (Most of the time - think of it as the equivalent of Skinandis now!!!, the Weigh Inn 15 years ago).

What a great shame to see the old place reduced to this state. I suggest they demolish it as soon as possible and build some nice cute OAP flats. THE PEOPLE HAVE VOTED (with their apathy) - Yes, it had occurred to me the band WERE REALLY bad. But, a band that did about 30 or so gigs in 2005 (with 28 bookings for this year so far) must be doing something right (all locally - no big FANCY cites for US!!)

Anyway, just had to ramble for a bit. . . . .

You put on a gig? Did you advertise it? When was it? Who was playing?

As Gleber says, your back must be sore.

Deemac
14-Jan-06, 02:45
Sore - The osteopathy's making a fortune!

We were warned the public response to booking up front the previous evening was to say the least - SPARSE!! As I said we 'pulled the stops' - 'kicked the butt' - just let loose and got on with it (as a musical unit). MOST enjoyable. (Why is it like this with musicians? - No ego to pamper in public - just the SOUND, the music!!)

(The muso's out there will relate to this one, I hope . . . .)

Again - NICE . . . . .

PS - F**!! the sore Back (Think of England and all who sail in her!)

Reev
14-Jan-06, 02:57
hahahahaha

Classic

:evil

Jeid
14-Jan-06, 03:12
you should edit that man, you'll get a banning

We're all musos here

Reev
14-Jan-06, 04:38
yeah man, you gotta be careful, even if your covering it up man

:cry:

Uppiebalad
14-Jan-06, 22:35
and i wish that the join between drink and music could be broken.

thats why at the mo my band are staying underground.

we would very much like to showcase some material but we feel that it qouldnt get the attention it deserved (not being big headed)

Sir John's Square doesn't have a bar and has shown it doesn't need one for gigs to be successful like the one the college did some years back.

"Underground" is a problem which leave select few getting a chance to hear bands instead of bringing it to the world. Mind though, many of you have websites- upload your work to the world. It ain't just Caithness folk that visit caithness.org and such like.

I spoke to a couple of members of Caithness Arts about this last year and they said that they did an Arts Showcase in Skinandis in 2004 to which a local rock music legend was asked to perform. Alas he never turned up!
They also said another member had motioned for a bands showcase but this was given the thumbs down. It says something of the situation you all face.

Reev
14-Jan-06, 22:39
In 2004 they had one of the Ard Rocks in skinandi's it went down really well, duress has also played in skinandi's after that aswell, skins isnt bad for the bands, skinds is game for it, but not all the time

As we live in a "teeny bopper" society i can understand that, still it sucks though

Jeid
14-Jan-06, 23:19
I spoke to the boss about that today, I'll let you in on it at the next Blue Monday meet

Uppiebalad
15-Jan-06, 14:03
Woa there! What's this secret about? Perhaps it should be out in the open. Is it something that is holding back local bands? Why should it only be mentioned between two people at the next Blue Monday meeting. You've said very little but all of which may be too much. Let's have the rest, I'm sure Caithness musicians would be very interested. Clearly something is being held back here and it's not just the sad world of teeni-bopperism that is the problem.
You've started a sentence so please put in the missing words and stamp a full stop on the remark.[disgust]

Jeid
15-Jan-06, 14:08
Well, just like you Mr Uppiebalad, I like to play my cards close to my chest. I'll reveal all at our next meet.

Uppiebalad
15-Jan-06, 14:28
So it will have nothing to do with the rumour I heard last week about Skinandi's being up for sale/sold or anything else I know about the place which I'm keeping close to my chest?

Jeid
15-Jan-06, 14:41
I love the Caithness rumour mill. He's not selling the place. This is something I hear him being asked every single week. Its a bit boring now. Some people have nothing better to talk about.

Uppiebalad
15-Jan-06, 14:58
That much I guessed as a nightclub with no competition it's like a water wheel that knows no drout. I too find rumour and suspicion extremly boring.:eyes

Jeid
15-Jan-06, 15:08
It'd be pretty silly. He's making a fortune so why give up that much money.

Gleber2
15-Jan-06, 18:35
Woa there! What's this secret about? Perhaps it should be out in the open. Is it something that is holding back local bands? Why should it only be mentioned between two people at the next Blue Monday meeting. You've said very little but all of which may be too much. Let's have the rest, I'm sure Caithness musicians would be very interested. Clearly something is being held back here and it's not just the sad world of teeni-bopperism that is the problem.
You've started a sentence so please put in the missing words and stamp a full stop on the remark.[disgust]

We still don't know who uppieballad is?? after countless attempts to get it from the horse's mouth, he still hasn't "put in the missing words & stamped a full stop on things."Answered some points but does a good job of ignoring the rest.

Surely something that is going to be revealed at the next meeting (even between two people) is no longer a secret............you should go to the next meeting Uppie & give everyone the pleasure of your seemingly endless advice & knowledge on the best way for caithness to progress[smirk]

We would have been there but work came in:cry: there'll be another meeting soon???

Uppiebalad
15-Jan-06, 22:52
Some pointers about identity and user names.

User names are used on the internet to protect the private interests of user and further to protect user from unsolicited attentions of less scrupuless persons. The purpose of a user name is to conceal identity for the afore mentioned.

When you use the internet at any time it can be viewed at any time anywhere in the world and out there in the real world there are some very nasty people/monsters who would wish you no good intent.

Whilst in here it seems the Caithness user forgets that the rest of the world does visit caithness.org forums from time to time. Caithness in the physical world is a very safe place to live with violent crime levels so small it's not worth mentioning. One could think it unlikely that there would be anyone who might want to harm another there in Caithness. But the rest of the world isn't as safe and cozy as Caithness so every time you put your real names and locations in here it becomes very easy for nasty people (and there are some who would go to such lengths) to track you down.
Revealing a real identity on the internet whether you know each other or not, is a very stupid thing to do.

Meanwhile, I don't have all the answers for Caithness, I have only ideas. Just because they aren't your ideas is no reason to attack. Where would the world be if we had executed every forward thinking person in history. Stop biting, give things a try and keep trying until you find a way that works. Take a bit of my idea or a bit of someone elses, mix them about and see what comes out the other end. Some are far too ready to dismiss just because it didn't come from the local shop. Grow up guys.
Gleeber have you any comment to make regarding my details of the Scottish Executives position on venues in Thurso and Caithness or the Revealing A Vision Of Caithness report or the Arts Stragey For Caithness. Where were you lot at the public meetings for the arts in Caithness? It takes a lot of streams to make a river.

Jeid
16-Jan-06, 00:13
Thats bull. Usernames give people alter egos and it helps them become someone that they are not. People say things in their "alter-ego" that they would not be willing to say in real life. In your case, I think this describes you perfectly. I doubt your such an outgoing person in reality and have trouble expressing the opinions you have. The internet gives you a place to vent off this and makes you feel like "a real person"

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I somehow doubt it. I ain't expecting you to reveal yourself now, I'm fully aware you are stuck behind this alter-ego Uppie. But lets be serious, for somebody who supposedly lives in London, you seem to be fully aware of everything that goes on in Caithness. I find that somewhat suspicious

zebedy
16-Jan-06, 00:23
Uppie I seriously do not agree with anything you blab on about on caithness.org.. You say you live in london ( which in the users online is not fact my friend! ) ... Yes everyone has questioned who you are at one point you have changed the motion quickly and do not reply to who you are. Your cover is blown and ure advise is no longer taken into consideration by Caithness.org users. I feel you shud now take not a stand but sit bk down into the slum of ure home and give ure poor keyboard on ure PC a wee rest. For i feel that the poor thing has to type out alot of storys that seem to be coming from Never Ever Land.

Give it a rest

Zeb :roll:

Jeid
16-Jan-06, 00:27
Uppie I seriously do not agree with anything you blab on about on caithness.org.. You say you live in london ( which in the users online is not fact my friend! ) ... Yes everyone has questioned who you are at one point you have changed the motion quickly and do not reply to who you are. Your cover is blown and ure advise is no longer taken into consideration by Caithness.org users. I feel you shud now take not a stand but sit bk down into the slum of ure home and give ure poor keyboard on ure PC a wee rest. For i feel that the poor thing has to type out alot of storys that seem to be coming from Never Ever Land.

Give it a rest

Zeb :roll:

Bravo young chap

Gleber2
16-Jan-06, 00:52
Firstly,you can't have really read my comments about you or you would remember that I told you once already that GLEEBER and GLEBER2 are two diametrically opposed people and NOT to be confused.OK.
For some reason I have read your often bombastic and very badly spelled ramblings quite thoroughly and do not reply on these points because I have heard it all before from wiser and more erudite men than yourself.Your comments on music are,on the whole,patronising rubbish.You have absolutely no understanding of the drive that makes us play and your ideas on what music and any local scene is really about are,to say the least,juvenile.
On the subject of secret identities,in a previous post on another thread I accused you of lying about dead Mansons.You really should answer[evil]

Jeid
16-Jan-06, 13:09
On the subject of secret identities,in a previous post on another thread I accused you of lying about dead Mansons.You really should answer[evil]

I too am curious about your knowledge of Mansons Uppie, perhaps it is because you are indeed a Manson yourself. The following quote would back this up. Unless you studied some sort of local family history, which I doubt. You are far to into "local cinema" for that.

The Manson name is common in Caithness but I don't know how much so in Shetland or Orkney. However as a Norse name being an abreviated form of Magnuson it's origins are Viking so it's a regular name the north of Scotland.
In Caithness their are only two fully local viking bloodlines. They are the Cannisbay Manson's and the Murkle Mansons the latter having lived in the Murkle area for well over 800 years.
All other Mansons in Caithness are either the result of family spread or incommers through the herring fishing era.

I do also believe you hold a grudge against a former partner, possibly from a messy divorce you went through a few years ago Darren? See below...

I don't think I want to marry an animal, I already divorced one. It's funny how people turn out once the ring is on their finger.

And finally, don't go trying this? Is this because the Police might give us in trouble? You would know about that huh? Did you not once have a fascination with our local graveyard?

Just a thought- don't go trying this but you know how Thurso cemetary has those terraces in the oldest bit. If the band were on the bottom terrace you could put the audience on all the other platforms and have an arena gig. Don't worry about the neigbours, they're dead to the world! (sick yes, but you know it's funny):eek:

I'm afraid its game up Darren, Its been quite interesting being THEONE to figure you out.

Shame this little game is over...

zebedy
16-Jan-06, 17:24
Great respect to Jeid on that account thred reply! *pats in the back* :)

phil_moonbeam
17-Jan-06, 13:51
why not try some of the local pubs like the mountain dew in wick the owner is a musician himself he is Callum Reid better known as Mad C and is quite keen to give local bands a go and can even provide a decent pa system for them to use just call him on wick 01955 602002 thats the pub tel no

Tel
21-Jan-06, 22:02
Many years ago in the 70s & very early 80s, the local bands played the local community halls on Friday /Saturday nights, sponsored either by hall committee's or a promoter, or even renting hall themselves....venues such as John o Groats, Canisbay, Dunbeath, Lybster, Thrumster , Thuso Town hall & Assembly Rooms in Wick were nomal "week-end bashes" & would usually see the local buses or even laid on "dance bus" full on the way out & a roaring taxi trade after 1:30am to get punters home....if the solitary phone / phonebox was not vandalised by that time so you could call taxi!!!....no mobiles then lol!!!
As the halls were not usually licensed, you had to bring your own carry out & getting it into the hall past the "bouncers" was always an experience!!.....if you couldnt get the beer-bag in the hall, then it was usually hidden outside in nearby neighbours garden & you had to go in/out the hall for a "liquid refreshment"....rain, sleet or snow!!!
From memory, most Bands were usually paid for the night, & cant remember any nights where the band paid the proprietor for the pleasure of playing his venue!!....the odd occasion bands did freebies for charity or raising hall funds, but usually at least got expenses for petrol. If there was a headline Band, they usually gave a chance for newer bands to play as support & get them some experience, but usually got some form of fee.
When the Rosebank Hotel was in full swing, I think most locals of that era would agree that it was a great venue for live bands, as it was 250-300? capacity & usually once it was 3/4 full, it had an electric atmosphere, especially for the rock bands to play in.
Wick notably went through a lul in live music for a while, when venues were extremely difficult for bands to get into & Mobile Discos were the "cheap n cheerful" option for the pubs/halls etc.... the bottom line was they could please any taste & if someone requested ole country king Don Williams' "Gypsy Woman"...it was possibly followed by a mind-numbing AC/DCs "Let there be Rock"......but everyone was happy for 5 mins at least!!.......the surprising thing is that people still paid the same price or more to get in to a disco as to see a live band.....no matter where it was located!!
Times change........but the song remains the same!
Keep Music Live!

zebedy
21-Jan-06, 23:31
" Tel ", Thats was amzazing information to get the buzz of music in the mind going! If i would not take charge but be a main aspect to a group that we should get together. The wick Asembly rooms! Man.. All it needed was a wee post from a member to get it going! and TEL you did just that!!!

" SUMMAR FESTIVAL 2006 "

Wick Asembly Rooms, Cum on! I know there will be doubters every were but if the music scene up here teamed together it would be unstopable! With a little effort, Anything can be done! I know some may think he's only a kid with dreams! But big gigs are pulled of before lets make one to be rememberd!!!

Who would be up for it. I think we should go for it. But i say we have a Group of mains but NO LEADER in the whole aspect of the concert! Make this a concert to be rememberd get as many bands as possible, this remind me of a gig trying to be pulled of by one kid a while back in the asembly rooms. Cant recal his name. But anyways! I think it would be a great idea!

What do you think???

Jeid
22-Jan-06, 01:40
I think you should wait and see what happens.... Plans are a foot.... sort of...

zebedy
22-Jan-06, 13:07
No.. I dont wanna be the Dude organizing it.. I was just wondering what people thought if something like that could come off jeid.

Zeb

nutty da drummer
23-Jan-06, 17:26
people by the sounds of it are starting having things on in there garage when they have a big enough garage. and some of us are going to hire out the view firth and get people there

Jeid
23-Jan-06, 19:21
The Viewfirth? What age groups do you plan on having in attendance?

nutty da drummer
24-Jan-06, 17:33
i dunno thats the problem. i need to find out how to and what the rules are. but i remember seeing all stitched up there, and they just said pay like 2 pound to get in or somehting and just sit in.

Tel
29-Jan-06, 16:01
After Live Aid in 85.....
There was a gig done for "Local Aid" at the Airport, Wick, in a Hanger in 1986....if memory serves me right! Was licensed too..and this must have seriously added to the revenue taken...
Started in Afternoon & went on till 1am....ish
Was a big turnout over the whole day....not sure what tally was but i think it was guestimated at around a 1000 over the day & you could come & go as you please....
Lots of bands reformed to play approx 40 minute slot each....
I think there was a PA rented for the day as well....
Was a good day out...
I think someone recorded most of the bands....not sure if there was a video or not though??
All moneys went to local charities / organizations etc...

Something like this, once in a blue moon, in summer, would be good fundraiser as well as showcase for local talents....but as we all know, it needs a good organiser, planning & local advertising.
We dont need an excuse to raise money for charity, as everybody gives to something, even if its via the lottery....But at least its an effort to help local or a major "African Famine Aid" charity & if you plug it well enough there may be some local media interest from as far as Inverness, maybe beyond, which can encourage assistance or donations from local companies.

Jeid
29-Jan-06, 20:36
You remind me of Uppieballad.

Anyway, as I previously mentioned, something is being planned

Gleber2
29-Jan-06, 21:05
Uppie's vanished from the forum. Will somebody tel us where he's gone.

Jeid
29-Jan-06, 21:14
I'd love it if someone could tel us, but I doubt they would

Tel
30-Jan-06, 00:36
Dont know who uppieballad is guys??
I havent read too much of threads from past but looked at more recent ones so decided to register as member.....maybe was around at same musical era.......late 70s -80s
I used to check out the Wick bands site from time to time & sent in a few pics & stories of bands that I had played in. This was about a month or two before site was shut down so I dont think it ever got added to site.
It was a good site....

Jeid
30-Jan-06, 12:55
Such a coincidence that Uppie disappears and at the same time you appear talking the same way he did about the exact same things.

Gleber2
30-Jan-06, 15:19
Jeid, either Uppie has taken a crash course in English,grammar and spelling or Tel is telling the truth. Let's give the poor lad a chance. Maybe he will tel us which Wick bands he played in as a sign of good faith.
Tel,Uppie annoyed and offended a lot of musos on this forum and he did vanish as you appeared.

Tel
30-Jan-06, 16:54
Hey guys:
Im just a working guy who enjoyed the crack at the time....
As i played myself, I did & still support live music & would not come on here and "slate" local muso's....good or bad!!.
Dont have too much time these days though for playing..... but have spoke about possibility of getting cobwebs off the gear and rattling out Motorheads -Ace of Spades, Overkill, Stone Dead Forever... Scorpions - Another Piece of Meat, possibly a few Ramones three chorders thrown in for fun....
A charity bash or "band gathering"....would be ideal for that!!

K dragon
31-Jan-06, 05:32
yeah well these "gatherings" and "get togethers" have been spoken of for months.

i hear about this revolution and that musical revolution, i hear about this idea and that idea, apart from these blue monday meetings i cant see much else goin on up here. its dead.