PDA

View Full Version : Joys of City Motoring

brokencross
19-Sep-08, 07:57
Aren't you glad you don't get these problems up in Caithness.

From BBC:- Part of M8 shuts after fuel spill
A suspected diesel spill has forced the closure of the M8 westbound in the east end of Glasgow.

The carriageway has been shut between junction 10 Barlanark and 19 Anderston to allow for the fuel to be cleared from the roadway.

The slip from the southbound M80 to the westbound M8 has also been closed off, leaving traffic backed-up.

Strathclyde Police said the road could be closed for several hours and advise drivers to avoid the M8 altogether.

The A73 from Newhouse roundabout to Nnewmains has also been closed off due to a related spillage.

northener
19-Sep-08, 08:25
BBC Caithness Traffic Report:

" Traffic is flowing freely on the A9 at 15mph behind an old wifey. The A99 is partially closed after a head on collision between two Cheviot sheep.

Meanwhile on the B876 at Bower a set of temporary traffic lights have been installed around two blokes who have stopped their cars to have a conversation.
And in Wick town centre there is still widespread disruption around Huddart Street following the whisky spillage from the Pulteney distillery. Members of the Temperance Society and non-drinkers are advised to avoid the area for the next few days."

brokencross
19-Sep-08, 09:23
two blokes who have stopped their cars to have a conversation.

And the annoying thing is they know you are there waiting, they give you a nod, a casual wave of acknowledgment, then proceed to carry on talking. Truly amazing.

wifie
19-Sep-08, 09:33
And the annoying thing is they know you are there waiting, they give you a nod, a casual wave of acknowledgment, then proceed to carry on talking. Truly amazing.
I have to say I love living down here and yep the driving can be frustrating but it can be great too! I have to admit tho that I love to drive north - I feel freer and freer and by the time I have crossed the Dornoch bridge I am startin to feel so at home and in my zone - it is a different world driving up in Caithness - be glad! Take note David B - there will be no such thing as a "commute" - stay wherever takes yer fancy in Caithness! :)

brokencross
19-Sep-08, 10:38
Quite a serious outcome really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7624629.stm

joxville
19-Sep-08, 10:48
Down here in Hampshire and Berkshire I use the M3 & M4 which sadly brings out the worst in some drivers, whose journey's are more important than yours and they have to get in front of you no matter what. I sometimes think a 5 yearly re-test would be no bad thing. I agree with Wifie about driving in the north, it really is a different attitude-a more relaxed driving style.