PDA

View Full Version : Possible Storm Warning

Tugmistress
07-Jan-06, 17:40
I have picked up we have a dirty great deep depression heading sort of towards us for around midnight ish on tuesday jan 11th and early hours wednesday morning.
It looks to be similar to last year on the 12th January but this time tides are not going to be quite as high (5.1m last year and only 4m at high tide this).
At the moment it is tracking North of us by quite a way, but Orkney and Shetland will feel it more, though it is something I will be keeping an eye on and will let you know if it is going to track further south which will give us a bit of blow ;)
If you want a look at the chart forecast at the moment for it then it is here (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=49&func=view&id=23&catid=2)

kas
07-Jan-06, 17:55
Would that not be spooky to be hit by a bad storm exactly a year to the day of last years one.

Tugmistress
08-Jan-06, 03:08
was thinking that myself Kas, but looking at the moment we will only get half of what we got last year unless it tracks further south, and only time will tell on that :)

JAWS
08-Jan-06, 04:09
I can't say that I can understand it, but I do recognise "Horrible" when I see it, and that looks "HORRIBLE".
Do you think if we all stand on the North Shore and blow we can make it go away?

Tugmistress
08-Jan-06, 18:01
:) Hi Jaws,
I like your idea but unfortunately not, I don't thinks all of the UK put together could do that ;)

anyway it looks like it has tracked further souther south on the latest run which i think could give us sustained winds of approx 40mph as it stands at the moment.

Whitewater
09-Jan-06, 15:23
Hi tugmistress, thanks for the information that is good to know

unicorn
09-Jan-06, 15:40
is anyone elses power flickering on an off or do I have an electrical problem??

Tugmistress
09-Jan-06, 15:54
had it flick on and off here twice, so not it not just you :)

unicorn
09-Jan-06, 15:55
thanks for that was gettin worried lol

krieve
09-Jan-06, 16:29
My power was flickering opn and off as well

Tugmistress
09-Jan-06, 17:07
We are certainly going to miss the really entertaining winds but it will get a little breezy. :p
Shame, i was looking forward to a good blow, though it may surprise us yet.

Saveman
10-Jan-06, 13:56
Is this likely to hit us?
I think the winter has so far been fairly mild....few cold, wet, windy days....but nothing to write home about.

Tugmistress
10-Jan-06, 16:02
From what i can tell and also have been told by people more experienced than me, we will maybe gets some 60mph ish gusts here though likely less than that.
the centre of the low is basically going to travel over the faroe islands in a North Easterly direction so Orkney and Shetland are liable to get a pasting.

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 22:47
Im in Wick and the lights have been flickering quite a lot tonight and it's sounding pretty windy outside!!

Saveman
10-Jan-06, 22:49
Is this likely to hit us?
I think the winter has so far been fairly mild....few cold, wet, windy days....but nothing to write home about.

Perhaps I spoke too soon......... ;)

pikey_0
10-Jan-06, 22:51
theres been power cuts in thurso, my lights are flickering 2

angela5
10-Jan-06, 22:52
Perhaps I spoke too soon......... ;)

That usually happens when we think we've been lucky..glad im indoors.

JAWS
10-Jan-06, 22:53
35 MPH and counting at Wick Airport.

Whitewater
10-Jan-06, 22:58
Breezy in Wick and lights are fluttering of and on, not enough as yet to trip the safety fuse, hope it doesn't get as bad as last year.

Tugmistress reckons we are going to miss the wost, I have confidence in her forcasting.

Saveman
10-Jan-06, 23:02
35 MPH and counting at Wick Airport.

Gusting at 54mph....

angela5
10-Jan-06, 23:10
The flood lights went out in the middle of the Arsenal v Wigan match..1 - 0 to wigan. So its fairly gusty all over.

Tugmistress
10-Jan-06, 23:12
LOL, keep losing power here so apologies in lack of data when you get power and look at my windy stuff lol
xcweather.com is a great place to see wind speeds etc all over the country. :)

Stargazer
10-Jan-06, 23:20
Latest BBC weather has an average of 52mph slap over Thurso. Faster than any recent storms. Presumably to gust much higher. Any predections Tugmistress? Are they on something. Storm warning for west coast but no mention of Caithness. Computer keeps crashing because of power dips.

Tugmistress
10-Jan-06, 23:24
youand me both stargazer been back for about 10 minutes now lol and i am at the end of the power line :(

possible gusts to 70mph ish (that's give or take 5mph) worst will be over by 4am in the morning :)
just had a gust at 61mph !!!

next low due thursday = more wind but maybe not as bad, not been looking at that oe as been concentrating on how bad this one was going to be, i promise i will look in the morning if i have power :):eek:

Tugmistress
10-Jan-06, 23:40
just this minute made the max average speed so far of 51.3mph, guess the beeb were right ;)

Wizzbang
11-Jan-06, 00:15
I love storms.!

Well I hope you are all safe up there.

I'm missing it all being out here offshore in Nigeria

We have the "Harmattan" this month, A wind from the Sahara and it is bringing sand with it that is glogging up our engine filters.

Well it keeps you in a job.

See you all soon
S.

amanda
11-Jan-06, 00:57
windy here in orkney but hey more unusual if its no windy

JAWS
11-Jan-06, 02:07
HEBRIDES BAILEY FAIR ISLE FAEROES SOUTH VEERING SOUTHWEST SEVERE GALE 9 TO VIOLENT STORM 11, INCREASING HURRICANE FORCE 12 FOR A TIME, THEN VEERING WEST 7 TO SEVERE GALE 9. SQUALLY SHOWERS. MODERATE OR POOR

Sorry for the Caps but I couldn't be bothered to re-type it.
I know its a little to the north and west of us but ouch!
I'm glad I'm not out there!