PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Diesel

BAND1T
18-Sep-08, 14:35
Hi

Does anyone know anything about bio-diesel through the Thurso & Wick recycling centres?

I caught something about it on MFR this morning, but didnt hear it all.

Thanks in advance

Gav

Bill Fernie
18-Sep-08, 15:31
Here is the full blurb re the cooking oil story -

Caithness Councillor Goes Green With Cooking Oil

Householders in Caithness now have a more environmentally friendly way to dispose of their waste cooking oils thanks to the introduction of new specific banks at Wick, Thurso and Seater Recycling Centres.

The oils collected will be uplifted from the Recycling Centres by J K Manson Waste Disposal, Hempriggs, Wick who will then filter it and convert it into bio-diesel which will then be sold locally as an alternative to diesel.

Caithness Landward Councillor Willie Mackay from Oldhall, Watten is already a convert to running his vehicle on cooking oil. He said: “What a great opportunity we have here to do that little bit more for our environment. This is a quality product being produced right on our doorsteps by Mr. J. Manson and Louise Mackay of Caithness Bio-diesels. Their Bio-diesel made from used cooking oil is of exceptional quality with percentage readings in the mid to high 90’s. I am a high mileage driver myself and have been for the past 38 years travelling all over Caithness and North Sutherland offering a daily A.I. Cattle Breeding Service to farmers and crofters throughout the area. Since becoming a Caithness Landward Councillor in May of last year has added at least another 8,000 miles annually to my vehicles travelling to Council meetings all over Caithness and down to Helmsdale, Lairg, Tain and Council Headquarters in Inverness. I have been driving Peugeot diesels since 1985; my current workhorse which is now using Caithness Bio-diesel is a 1996 Peugeot 306 with a staggering 288,000 miles on the clock. The fuel supplied by Caithness Bio-diesels has been giving me a fantastic 58 miles per gallon with no loss of power or performance to the car.’’

Councillor Mackay went on to say: ‘’This latest initiative is absolutely brilliant, offering to recycle used household cooking oil into Bio-diesel as there must be litres upon litres used daily in households all over Caithness in chip pans or deep fat fryers.

‘’We now have a wonderful opportunity to dispose of the used cooking oil at the Highland Council Recycling Centres of Wick, Seater and Thurso’’.and turn it into a valuable commodity.”

Anyone wishing to use the new facilities should ensure that their waste cooking oils are in their original containers and these should be placed in the banks provided. No other oils should be placed into these banks. Other banks are provided at the Recycling Centre for the disposal of engine oils. If any assistance is required while at one of the Centres, site operatives are on hand to answer any queries.

Oils should never be disposed of down sinks or into drains as this can easily block sewers and cause flooding. Scottish Water, who are responsible for clearing public sewers, recommend oils be drained into containers and safely disposed of as residents or owners will have to pay for blockages to be removed.

Chairman of The Highland Council’s TEC Services Committee, Councillor John Laing welcomed the new initiative. “In working towards reaching a recycling target of 40% by 2010 we are actively working to increase the amount of waste recycled in the Highlands. This new scheme in Caithness to recycle used cooking oil is great progress, especially as the oil can be processed locally and then used to fuel vehicles.”

Opening times for the Recycling Centres at Thurso and Wick are; SUMMER (1st April – 31st October): Sunday – Thursday 11.00am - 5.00pm, Friday – Saturday 11.00am - 8.00pm.

WINTER (1st November – 31st March): Monday – Sunday 11.00am – 4.00pm. Both sites are closed for lunch daily from 2.00pm – 2.30pm.

Opening times for the Recycling Centre at Seater are; Monday – Friday 8.00am – 4.00pm, Saturday 8.00am – 12.00pm.

router
18-Sep-08, 15:46
is it available to buy yet?if so,where and how much?

MadPict
18-Sep-08, 16:02
Get a Fuel Pod and do it yourself - if you don't use anymore than 2500 ltrs a year you don't pay tax...

http://www.greenfuels.co.uk/Category/domestic-production.aspx

BAND1T
18-Sep-08, 16:57
Has anyone got a number for Caithness Bio-diesels?

Thanks

TRUCKER
18-Sep-08, 17:10
Have p.m you.

Kathy@watten
18-Sep-08, 20:10
I too would be interested in this bio diesel if available to buy for a domestic car!

northener
18-Sep-08, 20:35
Unfortunately, Caithness BioDiesel are at full stretch at the moment and cannot take on any more customers...demand certainly exceeds supply.

MadPict has provided a good link...take on board the associated links/pages that describe what you can (and can't) do with Biodeisel.

Dynamic Sounds
19-Sep-08, 00:50
I was looking at making my own bio diesle a while ago, but found that the cost of the Sodium/potassium Hydroxide and the methanol was very dear. Does anyone know where I can get the chemicals in realistic amounts for home use at a reasonable price?

Geo
19-Sep-08, 17:05
Anyone got a number for Caithness Biodiesel? I would like to get on their books for when they have more capacity.