PDA

View Full Version : Sontronics

buddyrich
18-Sep-08, 12:26
Has anyone any experience of these retro-looking mics? Think they're a fairly new company.

buddyrich
18-Sep-08, 12:30
Lets broaden it a bit. What mics do people on here rate for live or recording?

loganbiffy
18-Sep-08, 12:36
Lets broaden it a bit. What mics do people on here rate for live or recording?

Can't really fault Shure SM58 for live vocals, and the SM57's are pretty good for micing amps and also live micing amps.

Sennheiser e845S is also very good for live vocals.

AKG for drum mics :)

Jeid
18-Sep-08, 13:35
I use a Sennheiser e845 for vocals, it's a really good mic. They're becoming more commonly used now. Great mics.

The SM58 and SM57 can't be ignored either tbh.

I've used a Sennheiser e609, SM57, a Beta 57 and a Studio Projects B1 on my amp for recording... great sounds with all. I liked the Beta and the B1 combo the best, a nice warm sound.

I like Sennheiser e604's on toms, an AKG D112 on the kick and a 57 on the snare.

I wouldn't mind getting myself a Sennheiser MD421.

Chobbersjnr
18-Sep-08, 16:28
we upgraded from SM58s to sennheiser MD431 mkIIs & then to a neumann KMS105. Handheld condensor mic which is AWESOME

senny 421s though. The holy grail of instrument mics in particular toms.

Electrovoice mics can't be sniffed at either. RE20 springs to mind

My personal choice of mic is a beyer dynamic m201

depending on what recorded vocal sound you want to hear a good ribbon works well.

there's soooooooo many mics of quality to look at AKG 414s are off the scale.

Jeid
18-Sep-08, 17:24
When we recorded earlier this year... the U89 was worth more than pretty much all of our backline put together... one mic pwnd us!

Chobbersjnr
20-Sep-08, 15:38
When we recorded earlier this year... the U89 was worth more than pretty much all of our backline put together... one mic pwnd us!

U89.............a new one on me, just googled it & I'm not as devastated by the price as I thought I would be.

Microtech Geffel do a condensor that sells for just short of the 5 grand mark, 10 grand for a stereo pair!!!!!!

Jeid
21-Sep-08, 00:14
I think he bought it a few years ago... it was a lot more expensive when he did.