PDA

View Full Version : New Rector for WHS

DW
07-Jan-06, 02:21
So, the high school will soon be getting a new rector. What are the qualities that the local community feel a rector should have?
Remember, this person will have a large effect on many children's lives and will also influence the whole community.
So, what do YOU think?
DW

Doolally
07-Jan-06, 13:15
Well I certainly wouldn't want to be him (or her) when you hear the goings on in the High School these days. It's an uphill struggle and the stress levels must be huge.

Teachers just don't have the power to disipline like they used to and the kids know this. They know what rights they have and use it to their advantage.

Of course, it's probably only 5% of the kids that cause 95% of the trouble but without being able to disipline these 5% and bring them into line, the rest get their education disturbed. A thankless task nowadays although the holidays are good.

Good luck to whoever gets the job!

DW
07-Jan-06, 14:45
Surely it is up to the parents to support the teachers as untimately it is their children who will benefit.
I agree that it is probably a very small minority of pupils who cause the trouble. The school obviously has a large majority of pupils who generally behave and get on with their work;however their parents need to make far more noise about the disruptive kids who are spoiling it for the rest.
I heard that the new head in Thurso is going to have a big push for school uniform and that is the kind of thing that really needs the parents' support.
DW

LENSMAN
07-Jan-06, 15:49
Hope the school uniform comes in in Wick.They have been pussy-footing around too long hinting that they might take it in, impose it and thats it.

DW
07-Jan-06, 15:55
So how do they go about 'imposing it' then.
I believe that they can't even get kids to take pens or pencils.

LENSMAN
07-Jan-06, 16:04
As you said its up to the parents to support the teachers.

landmarker
07-Jan-06, 16:05
I think school uniform is essential.
I had, and my kids had it. For a start it stops the usual fashion victims making the less affluent kids feel hard done by.
It also helps instill a team ethic.

Whenever I see a non-uniformed school emptying out the kids just look like a rag-rag hotch potch going nowhere in particular.

Uniform is a kind of cohesive factor and a badge of identity/belonging.
I'm all for it.

paris
07-Jan-06, 16:09
where we are in lincs theres not one school without a uniform. I think its alot better for the kids and parents. if some one say comes from a poorer family and goes to school in everyday clothes, the other kids know whos well of and whos not ie designer lables and very expensive trainers, which in turn causes kids to pick on the less fortunate, its life. All dressed the same, theres one less problem to deal with in school as no one is different.

DW
07-Jan-06, 16:15
I agree with the concept of uniform; I know all the reasons about why it's a good thing.
However, in Scotland the school (I believe) has no power in law to insist upon school uniform. Wick High School has made a number of attempts over the last 25 years to introduce school uniform and has yet to gain real support beyond the first year pupils.
In fact, they currently have a push on with affordable school clothing ( including even, a hoodie).

So, how do we make it stick?:confused:

LENSMAN
07-Jan-06, 17:25
Its not much of a push. When we were at the parents evening the stuff was set out and there was a mention in a newsletter.
Kids aren't going to wear the clothes if it makes them stand out.
They are used to wearing school uniform when they arrive from primary school, it should be continued.

DW
07-Jan-06, 17:36
It's all very well to say it should be continued but HOW?
The parents have to want it!!
The parents have to insist that their little darlings wear it!!
The parents nned to use their authority!!

Maybe we could build changing rooms and the teachers could make sure every kid changed before they were allowed in to school eh?

philupmaboug
07-Jan-06, 17:49
When I was in Japan, all the kids wore there uniforms with pride, you would be odd if you did'nt have one. I think that uniforms should be introduced and pupils should be excluded if they do not wear them or if they do not have pencils or pens with them and that parents should be held responcable, if the kids don't play ball then they need ASBO orders and classes to explain to them that it is dificult to buy nice things in later life if you cant get a good job as you have convictions... we need to instill disipline and respect back into our society from a young age. And bring back the belt.

DW
07-Jan-06, 17:56
You see, this is the problem.

We suspect that school uniform is a good idea ( although many countries with excellent educational systems have never had school uniform).

Apart from the flog 'em and hang 'em brigade there is no way to get the uniforms on the kids backs without the parents' support.

So, how is the new rector of WHS going to do it. He/she will be unable to send them home for breaching a rule that has no standing in law.

AR
07-Jan-06, 18:05
Without changes in attitude (probably mainly the parents) and changes in the way unrulely pupils are handled not a lot will change. As usual a few spoil things for the majority.
Am i right in saying that if a child get excluded that the local authority still have a duty to educate them,at great expence to the tax payer as it could be on a 1 to 1 basis?

LENSMAN
07-Jan-06, 18:11
DW what is your point?
As a parent I have never been asked about my veiws on uniforms.
As I said before the school has hinted that they would like to bring it in but they haven't asked anyone.
You seem to be implying that they have asked and haven't got any backing.

DW
07-Jan-06, 18:13
I think that a pupil can be excluded on a temporary basis but otherwise the Authority does have a mandatory duty to provide an education. This generally means employing a teacher on a 1 to 1 basis although the pupils could be sent to another school - tricky when there are only 2 secondary schools in Caithness.
Unfortunately, most people have a concept of school that hasn't changed since they left, whereas schools are undergoing rapid change especially in their reflection of society and society's values ( or lack of them).
The only way things can change is for the school and the parents to work together - loud and proud!

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 20:57
I would love school uniform to be reintroduced I dont have a problem my kids they will still wear anything that I buy them its simple they either wear it or go without clothes(a dragon of a mother I am) .The new rector would have my full support if he/she decided to go ahead with it.

DW
07-Jan-06, 21:32
The school conducted a survey by sending questionnaires to parents within the last 2-3 years.
The school received little to no support from parents.

LENSMAN
07-Jan-06, 21:59
Before my kids time. Why run a survey if they want uniforms tell everyone before the school term starts and they have bought clothes.
The education authority doesn't ask our opinions on everything that happens at the school.

DW
08-Jan-06, 00:39
Every pupil who is coming to Wick High is given a prospectus; in there are details of the school uniform for every parent to read.

I don't think we can expect the school to make it any clearer.

ice box
08-Jan-06, 00:52
When i started high school way back in 1992 we got a letter from the school for our parents saying we could purchase a school. Uniform so they have allways been there to wear so i say get them on and support your school . (The best days of your life)

DW
08-Jan-06, 01:28
Anyway, what do we want to see in a new rector?

Or even, what do we want from our local high school?

LENSMAN
08-Jan-06, 12:40
Does it say your child will wear school uniform when they start at high school or it would be nice if you could think about your child wearing a uniform.
No child should be made to stand out to be ridiculed.
All or none.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 12:55
I remember a few years ago they tried to make school uniform compulsary in primary schools. My friend had three kids in primary school at the time and she kitted them all out with uniforms, it cost her a fortune between trousers, shirts,belts and shoes but she didn't mind because she thought it would save her money in the long run. Anaway, after a couple of days back at school hardly any kids were wearing it, so her kids didn't want to wear it either. She called the school because the letter said it was compulsary but then she was told it was okay as long as they just wore the school jumpers...What a waste of money..she was not happy!!

angela5
08-Jan-06, 12:58
I remember a few years ago they tried to make school uniform compulsary in primary schools. My friend had three kids in primary school at the time and she kitted them all out with uniforms, it cost her a fortune between trousers, shirts,belts and shoes but she didn't mind because she thought it would save her money in the long run. Anaway, after a couple of days back at school hardly any kids were wearing it, so her kids didn't want to wear it either. She called the school because the letter said it was compulsary but then she was told it was okay as long as they just wore the school jumpers...What a waste of money..she was not happy!!

I bet she was'nt, i'd be spitting mad, no matter if half the school was in uniforms there is always some that will say "you can't make me" and spoil it.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 13:05
I bet she was'nt, i'd be spitting mad, no matter if half the school was in uniforms there is always some that will say "you can't make me" and spoil it.But it wasn't the kids, it was the parents seemingly that refused to put their kids in uniform!!

skydivvy
08-Jan-06, 14:59
Hope the school uniform comes in in Wick.They have been pussy-footing around too long hinting that they might take it in, impose it and thats it.

Most of them do seem to wear a uniform. It's called jeans and hoodies!
Seriously though, is clothes that important? Most of the kids that cause the trouble have parents who are not interested in supporting the teachers. A good strong hand at the helm is what's needed.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 15:44
The school my kids go to have a school sweatshirt to encourage the children to wear them they are given awards at assembly bronze award for so many wears and silver for more (I cant remember how many) and a gold award if you wear it all year, again if the parents dont back it it wont work.

rainbow
08-Jan-06, 23:07
The original question was - what does the community want from the new rector at Wick. This seems to have caused a seperate topic on uniform! Personnally what I think is needed from the new rector is someone from outwith the area who can bring in sweeping changes. Discipline for a start is needed and respect for the school (unfortunatly the law seems to be on the side of the pupil instead of the teacher).
Too many kids are causing huge distractions in class, at the expense of the kids who wish to get an education. All to often they are sent to the rector and nothing is done - maybe they will get suspended for a few days - great idea for a child who does not wish to be at school. Give them detention in a room on their own, with no-one to communicate with or show off too. Respect for the school is a must, and must be enforced at home. Alot of parents side with their children and tell the school - 'my child wouldn't do that!' Support your children and let them get some education, they are lucky some children in some countries are forced into the fields to work instead of being in a classroom. Education should not be taken for granted.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 23:09
The original question was - what does the community want from the new rector at Wick. This seems to have caused a seperate topic on uniform! Personnally what I think is needed from the new rector is someone from outwith the area who can bring in sweeping changes. Discipline for a start is needed and respect for the school (unfortunatly the law seems to be on the side of the pupil instead of the teacher).
Too many kids are causing huge distractions in class, at the expense of the kids who wish to get an education. All to often they are sent to the rector and nothing is done - maybe they will get suspended for a few days - great idea for a child who does not wish to be at school. Give them detention in a room on their own, with no-one to communicate with or show off too. Respect for the school is a must, and must be enforced at home. Alot of parents side with their children and tell the school - 'my child wouldn't do that!' Support your children and let them get some education, they are lucky some children in some countries are forced into the fields to work instead of being in a classroom. Education should not be taken for granted.

I Agree Rainbow, well said.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 23:12
Too many kids are causing huge distractions in class, at the expense of the kids who wish to get an education. All to often they are sent to the rector and nothing is done - maybe they will get suspended for a few days - great idea for a child who does not wish to be at school. Give them detention in a room on their own, with no-one to communicate with or show off too. Respect for the school is a must, and must be enforced at home. Alot of parents side with their children and tell the school - 'my child wouldn't do that!' Support your children and let them get some education, they are lucky some children in some countries are forced into the fields to work instead of being in a classroom. Education should not be taken for granted.I doubt a new rector, no matter how good he is, can change the law...

angela5
08-Jan-06, 23:18
I doubt a new rector, no matter how good he is, can change the law...

He can only try and get some of these kids in order.

DW
09-Jan-06, 21:04
Reading this thread it is clear that many people feel the need for raised standards at our local (Wick) high school; however in a community like ours, the school undoubtedly reflects the community and vice-versa.

I feel that the staff in the school should take the lead and that the authority and the community should support them. That means all of us, all the time.

No more bunking the kids off school for a cheap holiday, what signal does that give to the kids? :mad:

Oh!! schools important but if I need to save a bit of cash then it's not that important.

And why should teachers spend time sorting extra work out for these numpties? I feel that parents who do this sort of thing lose all rights to make any kind of complaint about the education their kids get. [mad]

katarina
09-Jan-06, 21:28
I'm reminded of a girl who set fire to the school a few years ago. the parents blamed the school for not supplying a place for kids to smoke - thus focing her to use the toilets and the toilet roll dispenser as an ashtray!

skydivvy
09-Jan-06, 21:32
We need a good strong rector, one who commands respect. Not easy in this day and age when the law is on the side of the offenders. And yes, the parents need to get more involved - the GOOD parents I mean.

DW
09-Jan-06, 21:36
We need a good strong rector, one who commands respect. Not easy in this day and age when the law is on the side of the offenders. And yes, the parents need to get more involved - the GOOD parents I mean.

Sorry, can't agree! We must find a way to make every parent feel that the school is part of their life and their child's life.

DW
24-Jan-06, 12:36
Anyone else notice that the Rector's job has been readvertised this weekend?
Why would that be?