PDA

View Full Version : driving licences

Tom Cornwall
17-Sep-08, 14:14
Can someone tell me if the paper driving licence we got, before photo ones came out, are still legal?
I had a terrible thought the other day..... but that's another story.:):)

justine
17-Sep-08, 14:16
as far as i know you have to be able to produce your photo id,I dont think that they accept just your paper licence but it is still legal to hold one.
maybe this link will help.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/travel/driving_licences.htm

How about the other story, let us in on that.:lol:

quoted from the link above.

Paper licences issued before the introduction of photocard licences remain valid until they run out or the details on them need to be changed.

jimag
17-Sep-08, 14:40
The old paper licences are still legal. I had to produce my one to the Police a couple of weeks back. Although all the necessary information was clearly visible through the clear wallet the old cop removed the licence from the wallet to have a good look at the endorsements which were on the inside before handing it all back. I understood this was illegal (on good authority from an ex cop who taught me to drive) but I held my tongue because the endorsement were well past their sell by date.
Incidently modern photographic licences have a 10 year life and an article on Radio Scotland last week highlighted many motorists are now driving with with expired licences because they have not been reminded by DVLA for one reason or another.

Solus
17-Sep-08, 14:42
Think some hire companys and such like require to see the paper part as well as the photo card licence.

Heard / read a bit few days ago about the photo card licence are apparently only valid for 10 years and after that we may have to cough up £17.50 again to have it renewed with an updated photo. Cant say I am happy about that, plus think of the revenue generated when all those licence's run out after ten years.

jay
17-Sep-08, 16:01
paper only licences are still legal - you have no requirement to change to the new style as long as your licence details have not changed ie address still the same etc if you have to change anything you need to get the new style one

wifie
17-Sep-08, 16:27
Hmmm was interested to read about this so I looked up the DVLA site - I think from reading it that your old paper only licence is still valid here but not outside this country. It also sadly looks like we will have to pay for £17.50 for a new licence when the photo expires - apparently the DVLA should contact you 2 months before your photo expires! [disgust]

northener
17-Sep-08, 17:09
Yup, still valid.

floyed
17-Sep-08, 19:10
Still valid:D

Faithers Appprentice
17-Sep-08, 22:58
The old paper licences are still legal. I had to produce my one to the Police a couple of weeks back. Although all the necessary information was clearly visible through the clear wallet the old cop removed the licence from the wallet to have a good look at the endorsements which were on the inside before handing it all back. I understood this was illegal (on good authority from an ex cop who taught me to drive) but I held my tongue because the endorsement were well past their sell by date.
Incidently modern photographic licences have a 10 year life and an article on Radio Scotland last week highlighted many motorists are now driving with with expired licences because they have not been reminded by DVLA for one reason or another.

I don't see how it could be illegal for a cop to remove your licence to see any endosements. I would have thought this was required to see if you had too many points for a fixed penalty etc or even recently disqaulified

Lolabelle
17-Sep-08, 23:06
We've had photo licences for years here, and everything is computerised, including the police cars, so they just type you in, and have all your stats! Even the Driver Fatigue Camera's for trucks can scan car rego numbers and get you!
No escape for us Aussies :eek:

Fran
17-Sep-08, 23:53
You had me worried there tom as I have a paper one, but i have to show it for my job and they didnt say anything except to remark its not often you see a clean licence!!

TBH
18-Sep-08, 00:38
They now say, "Ausweispapiere gefallen", when they ask for your licence.

dook
18-Sep-08, 19:30

What was illegal? I think I've an idea why the person who taught you to drive was an ex cop............