PDA

View Full Version : Would you lie to start a thread.

justine
17-Sep-08, 14:11
Implications are made about peoples reasons for starting certain threads that will and do cause bad vibes between people, but implying someone is lying just to be nasty is just down right stupid.Would you make up somehting just to get a thread going.I have made mistakes as we all have in our lives, no matter how long we have been here, but lying is not something i do. I believe in the truth no matter how strange it may seem, but lies get you knowhere in life.
Would you, have you ever lied about something just to start a thread or conversation or even a bit of gossip.

teenybash
17-Sep-08, 14:22
I couldn't see myself deliberately telling a lie to start gossip or be hurtful towards another person. If I were starting a thread about a topic I thought would be interesting to discuss, I wouldn't have a problem about using a hypothetical example or siutuation......I would state it was hypothetical though.......blatant lying I've got to say, no.
An old saying that comes to mind is 'You can watch a thief but, you can't watch a liar.'

Angela
17-Sep-08, 14:24
No I haven't and no I wouldn't!

....but then if I was a liar, I would say that, wouldn't I?:confused :roll:

justine
17-Sep-08, 14:36
No I haven't and no I wouldn't!

....but then if I was a liar, I would say that, wouldn't I?:confused :roll:

No you wouldn't;)

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 14:39
How many facts do you need to take out of the truth so that it becomes a lie?

justine
17-Sep-08, 14:44
How many facts do you need to take out of the truth so that it becomes a lie?

all of them..

balto
17-Sep-08, 14:59
nah, i wouldnt do this as it would only cause upset and hurt, wheather it be here on the org, as you never know who will read it and work out it is about them, or if it is in the real world by real world i mean not cyber. no amount of gossip is worth it.

Valerie Campbell
17-Sep-08, 15:08
No, I would never start a thread this way. I don't really see the point. If someone can't think up a genuine thread, then they should wait for inspiration to hit!

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-08, 15:10
I always taught my kids that porkys will always come back and bite them on the bum.
I often wonder about people that tell lies.
Do they do it to convince themselves or other people?

balto
17-Sep-08, 15:13
think some people lives such sad boring lives tht they need to tell the most daftest lies, ones that everyone knows are obvious whooping porkies, all it does is make them out to be idiots.

justine
17-Sep-08, 16:07
I always taught my kids that porkys will always come back and bite them on the bum.
I often wonder about people that tell lies.
Do they do it to convince themselves or other people?

I think they do it to convince themselves, not others. thats an excellent thought you had there:D

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 16:14
nah, i wouldnt do this as it would only cause upset and hurt, wheather it be here on the org, as you never know who will read it and work out it is about them, or if it is in the real world by real world i mean not cyber. no amount of gossip is worth it.

That is very true it is so easy to start a thread or conversation but blatantly know who its about, and by the time it gets back to them its got arms and legs on and becomes lies.
When a story is basically about what someone might have done but hasnt actually been proven as done then that is very harmful to the individual as it can leave a mark on their character for life. There has been threads like that on here, the boat one springs to mind to name but one of a few!!(and that got pulled due to inconsistencies)

coastown
17-Sep-08, 16:58
To be a good liar you would need to have an excellent memory.

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 17:39
To be a good liar you would need to have an excellent memory.

Ive got Kingston 2gb will that do!!! ;)

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 18:04
I suffer from the anti-Cassandra complex, I tell fibs about the future and nobody takes the slightest bit of notice of me.:(

floyed
17-Sep-08, 18:12
Nope!!! :D

starry
17-Sep-08, 18:19
To be fair I don't think anyone is going to come along and say yes are they ;)

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 18:35
To be fair I don't think anyone is going to come along and say yes are they ;)

Now are you lying or telling the truth? ;)

starry
17-Sep-08, 19:12
Now are you lying or telling the truth? ;)

Well my nose has not grown so I must be telling the truth

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 19:14
Well my nose has not grown so I must be telling the truth

But I cant see you nose so you could be lying ;)

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 19:19
There are two identical twins, one who always tells the truth, the other always tells a lie. One of them carries a black box with a cheque for £10 million inside, the other has an identical box which has been booby trapped with a bomb.

What can you do to retrieve the cheque safely?:confused

First correct answer gets a good rep blast!

starry
17-Sep-08, 19:22
Ah good point, well then you will just have to trust me :cool:

starry
17-Sep-08, 19:24
There are two identical twins, one who always tells the truth, the other always tells a lie. One of them carries a black box with a cheque for £10 million inside, the other has an identical box which has been booby trapped with a bomb.

Oh that is going to drive me mad :~(

honey
17-Sep-08, 19:26

ask brother A if brother B will say is box has the cheque - the answer given will be false as one of them will lie..

(watched Labrynth one to many times haha)

Sapphire2803
17-Sep-08, 19:30

Ask one of them "If I were to ask your brother if you always tell the truth, what would he say?"

If the answer is no... You are talking to the truthful brother
If the answer is yes.... You are talking to the liar

Is that it?

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 19:34
Ask one of them "If I were to ask your brother if you always tell the truth, what would he say?"

If the answer is no... You are talking to the truthful brother
If the answer is yes.... You are talking to the liar

Is that it?

No nice try though, they would both answer No.:)

honey
17-Sep-08, 19:36
was my answer right??

Sapphire2803
17-Sep-08, 20:16
No nice try though, they would both answer No.:)

Ok, this is going to confuse the hell out of me.

The question was "If I ask your brother if you always tell the truth what will he say?"

The lying brother does not always tell the truth, so the answer his brother would give would be no (the truth) so as he always lies, the answer he would give would be yes.

The truthful brother always tells the truth so the answer should be yes, but he knows his brother would lie and say no, so that is what he tells you.

Therefore, the lying brother would answer yes and the truthful brother would answer no.

And yes Honey, this is rapidly turning into the scene from Labyrinth :lol:

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 20:27
I'm so sorry Sapphire, you are quite correct, you had the logic right enough.

Sapphire2803
17-Sep-08, 20:29
With your permission I may just frame that statement. Logic and I are rarely even in the same postcode :lol:

golach
17-Sep-08, 21:40
Would you, have you ever lied about something just to start a thread or conversation or even a bit of gossip.
Why would any one even consider such a thing? Caithnessian's are nosey, its a well known fact, but deliberate liars? And to post the lies on the Org, the mind boggles, what ever next?

Lolabelle
17-Sep-08, 22:11
Implications are made about peoples reasons for starting certain threads that will and do cause bad vibes between people, but implying someone is lying just to be nasty is just down right stupid.Would you make up somehting just to get a thread going.I have made mistakes as we all have in our lives, no matter how long we have been here, but lying is not something i do. I believe in the truth no matter how strange it may seem, but lies get you knowhere in life.

I don't lie, and so I never even think someone else would be lying.
I sometimes wonder if people who constantly accuse others of lying, may think this way because they themselves are liars?

Now before I get shot down in flames, I am not accusing anyone, just a long time observation of people in general, no one here or anyone in particular.
But if the cap fits...... ;)

Amendment, I did accidently lie about my age once> see would you lie about your age thread.

joxville
17-Sep-08, 22:13
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon5.gif Would you lie to start a thread.

How absurd.