PDA

View Full Version : What to you pay your babysitter?

Sandra_B
17-Sep-08, 10:07
We have to go to a meet the teacher evening at school tonight and will need a babysitter. This is the first time we are paying a babysitter and I have no idea what a fair amount is. What is the average in your area?

Dadie
17-Sep-08, 10:15
It depends on who it is....family and friends are cheap mostly free (but you pay for it somehow with fixing things or babysitting for them)

Childminders usually have an hourly rate which is agreed on beforehand

Teenage friends of the family may seem a cheap option but you usually have to provide snacks, film to watch and clear instructions...

best thing to do is agree a set amount that both parties are happy about and stick to it!

andyd
17-Sep-08, 10:36
im around £3 to £4 an hour with a registered childminder

tigger2u
17-Sep-08, 10:46
im around £3 to £4 an hour with a registered childminder

Seems like she undervalues her service, qualification and experience at that rate :confused

KCI
17-Sep-08, 11:04
Most registered childminders in Wick charge the same rate - usually £3 per hour, although that is usually more during evenings and weekends.
That's not because they undervalue their service, qualifications or service, it's because they find they don't have much choice.
If 20 childminders all charge £3 per hour, and one decides to charge more than that, because they don't feel they are charging enough, I doubt if they would get a lot of calls.
Unfortunately, you will find that most of the time, people will go with the cheaper childcare, as that is all they can afford. So, they would go with one of the other 20 childminders, rather than the one who charges more.

balto
17-Sep-08, 15:07
thankfully we have my partners nephew, who looks fter the kids whenever we need him to, dont know what we would do without him, he is a god send.

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 16:19
The wife watches mine for free!!!! And she even gives me a pound for a pint ;)

unicorn
17-Sep-08, 16:21
you wont get a whole pint for a pound :eek: maybe a half :lol:
I think it all depends on whether you are getting in a professional or just a friend.

nicnic74
17-Sep-08, 18:35
I usually give my babysitter who is a young girl at college £10 if it's just for a cple o hours but if im having a nite out on a sat nite normaly give £20 & she can help herself to anything thats in crisps, juice sweets etc & she norm just stays the nite give her a lift home in the morning then.

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 18:38
We have to go to a meet the teacher evening at school tonight and will need a babysitter. This is the first time we are paying a babysitter and I have no idea what a fair amount is. What is the average in your area?

Would've volunteered and done it for a pint and a pack of bacon fries for you but cant refuel the jet in time to make it to Germany, maybe next time! ;)

Kevin Milkins
17-Sep-08, 18:46
Would've volunteered and done it for a pint and a pack of bacon fries for you but cant refuel the jet in time to make it to Germany, maybe next time!

I was wondering why you post count was so high, and now you have given the answear.;)
Have seen the number of E numbers there are in bacon fries, and nothing that even resemble pig.:eek::lol:

floyed
17-Sep-08, 18:52
I would pay about £20 for a babysitter if its family. Dont know about registered chilminders:D

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 18:58
I was wondering why you post count was so high, and now you have given the answear.
Have seen the number of E numbers there are in bacon fries, and nothing that even resemble pig.:eek::lol:

Its taken me 6 years to reach 1K and it took you 6 months!!!!!!! Now who's the chatterbox my furry welsh friend!!! ;)
E numbers whar are they, hope thats not droogs!!!!

Faithers Appprentice
17-Sep-08, 23:05
We usually pay between £15-£20 which in my opinoin is far too much. In my day I'd get a fiver, and that was barely enough for a bottle of Buckie and 10 Regal King Size.

Nowadays £20 would get me most of the weeks shopping and a few bottles sof cider......

whitewitch
19-Sep-08, 09:37
i dont think pesonally that it is money that you should be your first thing, i know it is getting harder as prices increase on everything, we have cut back also, but i pay my childminder £4 an hour and it is worth every minute, my child loves going there, does lots of arts and crafts, outings, baking etc, as long as they are happy and you are paying for a good service that is the main thing.

newpark
19-Sep-08, 10:21
I would never use a babysitter. I am lucky enough to have family that I can leave kids with. Wouldn't trust anyone else with my kids.

Dali
19-Sep-08, 10:48
If the child minder is over 18 then i do not see why they should not get the £5.52 like the law requires .

balto
19-Sep-08, 11:29
I would never use a babysitter. I am lucky enough to have family that I can leave kids with. Wouldn't trust anyone else with my kids.
with you there, wouldnt trust anyone else with my kids either, just glad we have my oh's nephew living near us.

Sandra_B
19-Sep-08, 12:19
Would've volunteered and done it for a pint and a pack of bacon fries for you but cant refuel the jet in time to make it to Germany, maybe next time! ;)

I'll be sure to give more notice next time!

Sandra_B
19-Sep-08, 12:21

My family in in Caithness, hubbys family are in America, we live in Germany so that is not an option for us.

The daughter of one my husbands workmates baby sat for us (we've known them for 6 years) we paid her $10 an hour, the kids had a great time and can't wait for Mum and Dad to go out again!

balto
19-Sep-08, 15:28
hi sandra glad it worked out for you and that the kids had a great time, it will be a relief to know that you have someone you can trust to look after your kids.