PDA

View Full Version : Gurkhas how did they do..

ciderally
16-Sep-08, 23:44
anyone know how they got on at court today? hope they won this battle

Venture
16-Sep-08, 23:50
Sorry to say they lost today in Court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7485050.stm

ciderally
16-Sep-08, 23:59
thanks for tha link venture...really sad sad day...here is a quote from a man that fought for this country...

The 54-year-old is now living with his wife in one room in Tonbridge and surviving on hand-outs from the Royal British Legion and friends.
"I took an oath on the Union Jack and said in the oath I would fight and give up my life. So I left my wife and family in Nepal and fought wherever they decided to send me.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif It is the saddest day of my life, because I am so devoted to the Gurkhas http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Madan Gurung

"After giving all of my life to the army and the crown service, now they're telling me I don't have the right to stay."

TBH
17-Sep-08, 00:04
Absolute disgrace, enough said.[disgust]

Welcomefamily
17-Sep-08, 05:01
Words cannot put it into context, its a sad day, perhaps if they had fought against us we would have let them in?

hotrod4
17-Sep-08, 06:01
This is an absolute disgrace. This really makes my blood boil. The Gurkhas were part of my Division and they were the most dedicated soldiers you could ever hope to meet. They were so focused on supporting our country and I for one am proud to have served beside these loyal soldiers(In modern times) who cannot get what they deserve.
Do nothing for Britain get everything...... Do your best for Britain get Nothing...... Is there a logic there? if there is I cant see it :(
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s337/jinxd_2008/gurkha.jpg

Donnie
17-Sep-08, 07:39
Sorry to say they lost today in Court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7485050.stm

The link you posted is from a different story from back in July. As far as I can see on the BBC website there is nothing about the current case having ended yet.

justine
17-Sep-08, 11:08
I am hoping that they will allow them to stay, they have shown their worth for this country and should be entitled to stay.You never here of gurkhas being done for drugs, assualt or drunken bouts, like most squaddies, being ex services and someone who lived in nepal for 2 years and met a lot of these men then they should be allowed.its a disgrace what is happening.

MadPict
17-Sep-08, 11:15
Think their case is still being heard in the High Court - the government "defends" it's policy today.

This government is an utter disgrace - they bend over backwards to ensure that terrorists 'rights' are complied with and even pay them state benefits rather than kicking them out of the UK and yet men who have fought and died for this nation are treated with contempt....

Solus
17-Sep-08, 12:02
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/842667

Still on going by the looks of it with the government trying to defend themselves.

All other foreign soldiers in the British Army have a right to settle in Britain after four years of service anywhere in the world.
Part of the government’s explanation for refusing settlement rights is that some Gurkhas “lack strong ties with the country”.
The Gurkhas have also struggled for years for equal pension rights for those who retired before 1997.

speaks volumes really,:confused

Melancholy Man
17-Sep-08, 12:04
The link you posted is from a different story from back in July. As far as I can see on the BBC website there is nothing about the current case having ended yet.

Here's hoping. The only good thing to say is that British-born soldiers are treated little better.

MadPict
17-Sep-08, 12:12
Here's hoping. The only good thing to say is that British-born soldiers are treated little better.

True. Very true.
Service personnel should not have to rely on the likes of TroopAid to ensure that they have a bag with essentials for when they are returned to the UK
http://troopaid.info/index.php

But it is good to see that some have a heart...

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 12:19
Isn't it true that the notion of the ghurkhas being a fiercely proud and loyal fighting group is just another example of racial stereogrouping which should be discouraged?:confused

TBH
17-Sep-08, 12:35
Isn't it true that the notion of the ghurkhas being a fiercely proud and loyal fighting group is just another example of racial stereogrouping which should be discouraged?:confusedNo Rheghead, they are a fiercely proud and loyal fighting group the same as the Scots, it's in the blood.

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 12:36
No Rheghead, they are a fiercely proud and loyal fighting group the same as the Scots, it's in the blood.

So there isn't any Scottish or Ghurka cowards? Another example of racial stereogrouping.:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_Race

Angela
17-Sep-08, 12:38
Isn't it true that the notion of the ghurkhas being a fiercely proud and loyal fighting group is just another example of racial stereogrouping which should be discouraged?:confused

I think it's much more likely to be true that they are a fiercely loyal and proud fighting group....and I think our treatment of them is shameful. :(

TBH
17-Sep-08, 12:41
So there isn't any Scottish or Ghurka cowards? Another example of racial stereogrouping.:roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_RaceYou get cowards in most walks of life Rheghead but Not many that have Joined and fought for the British army I wouldn't think.

Bad Manners
17-Sep-08, 12:58
I have served alonside these valiant fighters. To a man they are loyal to this Country to there allies and themself they have endured no end of hardship whilst serving our country. My Country who I am ashamed of the way they are treating them Gave me three medals, pat on the back and bit of a pension. These men with who I am proud to have served alongside didn't even get the pat on the back. After all they have done for this country All they want is to live here in peace. Imigration allows people to come and stay in this contry on far less tenuious links.
If Gordon Brown only does one thing for these men it should be to recognise that these people have Earned the right to stay here

Melancholy Man
17-Sep-08, 13:04
You get cowards in most walks of life Rheghead but Not many that have Joined and fought for the British army I wouldn't think.

So, the relevance of the Scots was...?

TBH
17-Sep-08, 13:16
So, the relevance of the Scots was...?They are another example of a fiercely loyal fighting group.

Melancholy Man
17-Sep-08, 13:22
They are another example of a fiercely loyal fighting group.

No they're not. Are you sure you're not getting Scots mixed up with Scots soldiers, who have trained to be fighters just as Gurkha men do?

TBH
17-Sep-08, 13:27
No they're not. Are you sure you're not getting Scots mixed up with Scots soldiers, who have trained to be fighters just as Gurkha men do?

You get cowards in most walks of life Rheghead but Not many that have Joined and fought for the British army I wouldn't think.Isn't that what I was implying?

Melancholy Man
17-Sep-08, 13:35
Isn't that what I was implying?

No. In popular imagination, Gurkhas refer specifically to the soldiers in, but by no means limited to, the British Army. Sikhs, for instance, had the same designation under the Raj, and are now thought of as consisting of women and children and non-fighting men in addition to (if at all) fighting men.

A very tiny proportion of Scots men elected to fight in the military, and are no more a fighting nation as the English or Welsh or Irish.

buggyracer
17-Sep-08, 13:58
So, the relevance of the Scots was...?

historically scottish soldiers were favoured in the old brittish army as opposed to others from the UK, they were simply deemed better :lol::cool:

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 14:07
historically scottish soldiers were favoured in the old brittish army as opposed to others from the UK, they were simply deemed better :lol::cool:

This is a quote from wikipedia:-

Martial Race or Martial Races Theory is an ideology based on the assumption that certain ethnic groups are inherently more martially inclined than others. It was a term originally used by the British, who observed that the Scottish Highlanders were more fierce in battle than others in the British Isles, and extended this concept to India, where they classified each ethnic group into one of two categories: 'Martial' and 'Non-Martial'. A 'martial race' was typically considered brave and well-built for fighting but was also described as 'unintelligent'

This is a page from Armyjobs on education, stressing the need for education, training and people of all abilities.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/education/pages/default.aspx

[lol]

buggyracer
17-Sep-08, 14:15
This is a quote from wikipedia:-

This is a page from Armyjobs on education, stressing the need for education, training and people of all abilities.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/education/pages/default.aspx

We all know wikipedia is not what it used to be :roll:

besides you only have to look at the significant list of inventions by scotsmen to see the last point to be untrue :lol:[lol]

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 14:25
We all know wikipedia is not what it used to be

Register and change it if it makes you feel better, but it is factually correct about the subject of 'martial races', there is nothing untrue there.

besides you only have to look at the significant list of inventions by scotsmen to see the last point to be untrue

So if racial stereotyping is unfair then what does that say about the stereotypical statment of the sort that was prevalent that tries to support the notion that Scots or Ghurkas are anymore braver than any other type of people?:D

buggyracer
17-Sep-08, 14:25
just for you rheggers :)

Wha’s Like Us? Damn few and they’re a’deid

The average Englishman in the home he calls his castle, slips into his national costume – a shabby raincoat – patented by chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow.

En route to his office, he strides along an English lane that has a firm solid surface, invented by John Macadam of Ayr.

He drives his English car with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop of Dreghorn. To make matters worse, the gas and oil in his car was produced from Scottish oil fields in the North Sea, from rigs manned by Scots oilmen.

At his office he receives mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers, bookseller and printer of Dundee.

During the day, he uses a telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh.

At home in the evening, his children pedal bicycles invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillian, a blacksmith from Thornhill, Dumfreisshire.

He watches news on his TV, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh and hears an item about the US Navy, which was founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean.

By now he has been reminded too much of Scotland. He tries flipping the channel and finds a “movie marathon” only to find they are featuring Sean Connery films.

He tries to console himself by reading a history book to relive the “glory days” of the British Empire, only to find that Scottish regiments made practically every “British” victory in the world possible.

He picks up a book about Native American Indians, expecting some respite from the presence of Scots. Instead he finds that Scots form the backbone of exploration and trade with Indians in North America and worse, intermarried with them to the point that leaders in many Indian tribes have Scottish surnames.

He picks up the Bible in desperation only to find that the opening pages commemorate King James, who authorized the first translation of scriptures into English.

He is ready to take to drink, but all he finds in the liquor cabinet is Scotch.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but finds the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours.

If he escapes death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming of Dravel, and given chloroform , an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Simpson, obstetrician and gynecologist of Bathgate.

Out of the anesthetic, he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England, which was founded by William Paterson of Tinwald, Dumfries.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of ‘guid’ Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask – Wah’s like us? http://209.85.12.234/11375/163/emo/drink.gif

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 14:29
A Scotsman has his whisky, an Englishman has his pride.;):lol:

buggyracer
17-Sep-08, 14:30
A Scotsman has his whisky, an Englishman has his pride.;)

:lol: im glad you took it in the humor intended :lol:

Melancholy Man
17-Sep-08, 17:36
Register and change it if it makes you feel better, but it is factually correct about the subject of 'martial races', there is nothing untrue there.

Come on, Rheg! There were two Indian MPs in London of the 1890s! This was when 40% of men didn't have the vote - including the bulk of the footsoldiers, and firemen going to extinguish fires set by middle-class women demanding the vote for themselves - so clearly different groups of English were thought less intelligent than members of the 'brown races'.

Rheghead
17-Sep-08, 18:01
Come on, Rheg! There were two Indian MPs in London of the 1890s! This was when 40% of men didn't have the vote - including the bulk of the footsoldiers, and firemen going to extinguish fires set by middle-class women demanding the vote for themselves - so clearly different groups of English were thought less intelligent than members of the 'brown races'.

I never said there was anything factually correct about 'Martial races', just wiki's entry was factually correct as far as I read it.

As for your MPs, at least they were English!:lol:

It was in the mid 19th century that the idea of creating "Brown Englishmen" emerged. Thomas Macaulay (Minister of Education in India and creator of the British/Indian law system) and others (the Anglicists) set up a system of education and rewards to create a class of Indians. Thomas Macaulay 1837

golach
18-Sep-08, 10:09
There is still time to enter this petition, to help the Gurkha's, they need all the help they can get according to today's headlines, the Home Office lawyers are not very sympathetic.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Gurkha-soldiers/