PDA

View Full Version : Billy Connolly....

landmarker
06-Jan-06, 22:22
For along time I thought BC was the funniest man on this planet. I've never seen him live but have lots of his concert tapes and dvd's. I must dig out the 'world tour of Scotland' one, where he does the gig in Wick. Was anyone here in the audience?

He has a new dvd in the shops - 'live in New York' I think. I'm wondering whether to get it. I just feel that of late he's gone a bit strange/less funny.

I think the Ken Bigley remarks were a mistake, though I didn't condemn him for them, he didn't do himself many favours there did he?

I've read his wifes book 'Billy' and he is certainly an interesting character.
I'm not 100% about her though, she seems to take her pschology a bit too far though he is certainly a good subject.

I jut wonder what his fellow Scots now think of the 'big yin' ?
He still makes me laugh - a lot. More than nayone else in fact.
Do you rate him?

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:39
I mind seeing him in the town when he did that gig it was out side the old whatsit shop and then i seen the video he's funny still makes me giggly

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 22:42
I mind seeing him in the town when he did that gig it was out side the old whatsit shop and then i seen the video he's funny still makes me gigglyI don't know whether he's not as funny as he used to be, or if it's just me dosn't find him so funny this days.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:50
I don't know whether he's not as funny as he used to be, or if it's just me dosn't find him so funny this days.
Must be just you lol haha .

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 22:51
I was there and I remember him telling the storie of Bonnie Prince Charlie.If history lessons in class were told like that I am sure a lot more kids would listen up though I dont think there would be many high grades in exams.I remembering laughing till my sides were sore

Fesman
06-Jan-06, 23:20
Billy Connolly is a regular visitor to NZ.. he's married to a Kiwi, after all.

I've seen his live gigs a few times now. The first was about 30 years ago and we could hardly understand him. He has a strange accent :)

Connolly's style of humour has changed little over the years, but his longevity may be attributed to his ever changing patter. His stories are always topical and pertinent to the particular audience.

He makes the audience laugh at themselves... and gets away with it.

Currently his World Tour of New Zealand is being shown on television here. I don't think that I've seen his Tour of Scotland, but it will be re-run and I'll not miss an episode :)

Tickety Boo

sjr014
07-Jan-06, 01:41
I got the new dvd for xmas and think its ace it cetrainly appeals to me and makes me laugh out loud!!! He is a very funny guy i think he has loads of really funny stories to tell and i feel he is genuine, he certainly laughs on recollection of lots of his stories. I also likes the way he flits from one story to the next, yup a gr8 dvd go on treat ursel and buy it!

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 01:46
I got the new dvd for xmas and think its ace it cetrainly appeals to me and makes me laugh out loud!!! He is a very funny guy i think he has loads of really funny stories to tell and i feel he is genuine, he certainly laughs on recollection of lots of his stories. I also likes the way he flits from one story to the next, yup a gr8 dvd go on treat ursel and buy it!I thought he wasn't all that funny any more. I obviously havn't seen him recently. I think I will buy the cd just to refresh my mind of what im missing because I used to love watching him!!

landmarker
07-Jan-06, 16:49
I got the new dvd for xmas and think its ace it cetrainly appeals to me and makes me laugh out loud!!! He is a very funny guy i think he has loads of really funny stories to tell and i feel he is genuine, he certainly laughs on recollection of lots of his stories. I also likes the way he flits from one story to the next, yup a gr8 dvd go on treat ursel and buy it!

You know, I think I will.
I could do with a laugh.
cheers.

AR
07-Jan-06, 16:56
As has been said he has always been very funny, new and old stuff alike. my mum wouldnt let me go when he was last here(92/93). She might let me go if he were to come to caithness again!haha!
Surely the Ken Bigley thing is political correctness gone mad? It certanly doesnt put me up or down.

landmarker
07-Jan-06, 17:11
Surely the Ken Bigley thing is political correctness gone mad? It certanly doesnt put me up or down.

I dislike political correctness probably as much as you do, if not more. It's strangling conversation and honesty.

However I dont think p.c. applies here.
After all BC is a pc free zone -long may it continue to be so.

No, Billy slightly offended people senses of humanity I think.

The unfortunate Bigley was a hostage with an uncertain fate. Connolly's comments were uncalled for and ill advised. I can forgive the man (Billy) for making light of the situation but just think he'd been better off leaving the subject alone.He has loads of other less sensitive subjects than a guy's life hanging in the balance.
Just my view, yours of course is equally valid. I respect it.

AR
07-Jan-06, 17:33
The unfortunate Bigley was a hostage with an uncertain fate. Connolly's comments were uncalled for and ill advised. I can forgive the man (Billy) for making light of the situation but just think he'd been better off leaving the subject alone.He has loads of other less sensitive subjects than a guy's life hanging in the balance.

Ive made jokes of things like that in the past as im sure a lot of people have, whether they admit it or not. He should never have made then with the media watching i suppose, as a lot of people were obviously offended.

landmarker
07-Jan-06, 18:56
A substantial number of people in his audience booed and jeered at the time I understand.

Water under the bridge. I've made sick jokes in the past, especially when I was a teenager. Don't we all?

As you say media scrutiny,which is everywhere these days made it worse than it need have been.

Rhubarb
07-Jan-06, 22:26
I have most of Billy’s performances on DVD now and have thoroughly enjoyed them all; the new "Live in New York" which I got at Christmas is pretty beige to say the least. New material required I'm afraid.

carasmam
08-Jan-06, 01:58
The wire brush and dettol joke is one of the best !!

janette
08-Jan-06, 02:08
We went to see Billy Connelly a few days after be made the unfortunate remark. He said that the remark had been taken out of context by the media (again) and he couldn't believe that Richard and Judy had devoted a whole afternoon programme to him. We enjoyed over 2 hours of comedy. I laughed until I was sore.

I am no youngster, but I did so enjoy his show, as did the rest of the group who were with us.

girnigoe
08-Jan-06, 21:50
You know, I think I will.
I could do with a laugh.
cheers.

I wouldnt bother!!!

Now I am a HUGE fan of Billy Connolly but this DVD was rubbish compared to his usual stuff! The first ten minutes were the best and im afraid it was all downhill from there!!

girnigoe
08-Jan-06, 21:52
The wire brush and dettol joke is one of the best !!

HA HA HA HA HA HA. Definetly!! I would share it but I think I would be suspended for it!!!!

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 21:53
HA HA HA HA HA HA. Definetly!! I would share it but I think I would be suspended for it!!!!Aw thats a pity..could do with a laugh!!:)

landmarker
08-Jan-06, 22:04
er....maybe I won't then. I've just ordered 'the Debt Collector' instead !

pedromcgrory
09-Jan-06, 00:26
download evil scotsman by billy its makes me laugh

Niall Fernie
09-Jan-06, 13:48
I was at the show in Wick, was lucky to get a ticket from a friend who couldn't go.

He was pretty slow at the start of the show, seemed like he was probing the audience for what we found funny. Once he found the sweet spot he did not stop, it was like being a wee kid and having a relative tickle you until you are sick. After about 40 minutes most of the people I could see from my seat were holding themselves and crying with laughter. From that point I was half wishing he would stop talking so I could catch my breath. Relentless jibing about Wick and the folks he'd met while here, brilliant observations on the day to day stuff and the odd history lesson thrown in for good measure.

I'd go again, but only to a local show as I think that the topics of his larger shows are more general and not quite as funny.

janette
10-Jan-06, 16:01
At the show in London Hammersmith, the first 'story' he told that when he was on a visit to Wick he was asked if he would like to go and visit a Lighthouse. When he got there the lighthouse keeper was as drunk as a lord.
I don't think this was true, but he did mention Wick.