PDA

View Full Version : Freesat

ashaw1
16-Sep-08, 20:24
I am one of those people who seems to be having problems with freeview. After buying my latest freeview box just a couple of months ago i've come to the conclusion that i need to replace it as it just isn't strong enough to read the signal at the moment. Just wondered if i should think about Freesat as i already have a satellite dish. Is it any good?

TBH
16-Sep-08, 20:26
If you think the tech isn't up to scratch then ditch it.

dessie
16-Sep-08, 20:30
if you get your signal from rumster then there are a few problems as they have removed all systems..and are now replacing with didital and dab and hope to be up and running in 2 months time...i live in lybster and the day they took the old system down i have lost alot of channels.on freeview..

ashaw1
16-Sep-08, 20:44
I realise they are working on Freeview at the moment but just a bit frustrating that some people seem to be experiencing no problems at all. I replaced my first Freeview box because whenever the signal quality dropped the box used to switch itself off, the new one doesn't do this. I thought if i got a slightly better model this might resolve my current problems. If i'm going to buy a new box i may as well check out other options. My 2 year old just doesn't understand why he can't watch his favourite programmes.

TBH
16-Sep-08, 20:46
I realise they are working on Freeview at the moment but just a bit frustrating that some people seem to be experiencing no problems at all. I replaced my first Freeview box because whenever the signal quality dropped the box used to switch itself off, the new one doesn't do this. I thought if i got a slightly better model this might resolve my current problems. If i'm going to buy a new box i may as well check out other options. My 2 year old just doesn't understand why he can't watch his favourite programmes. The thing is with these things, nver go for a cheap option. You really have no choice at all when choosing these boxes. It's either inferior or superior.

scorrie
16-Sep-08, 21:12
I have never been able to get any sort of picture on Freeview, so have been stuck with Sky. Had been looking for a better way to record programs and enquired about a Sky HD box. The wifie I spoke to wanted £150 and £60 installation for said box. She informed me that I would have received free installation had I been a new customer.

Not a happy chap, I called the cancellations department and told the guy I was fed up with the New Customers only offers. After some negotiation I managed to secure the HD box for £99, with FREE installation. The lad even said he would have given me a year's free line rental to Sky Talk as well, but I am tied to BT at the moment.

The engineer has been and even fired up a brand new dish into the bargain. Picture quality is fantastic and the recording facility is so easy to use compared to my DVD recorder. It is an extra tenner a month on the subscription but well worth it in my view. I just wish Sky would offer better value on their Sports, as some events have leaked over to Setanta and the Box Office for fights is a rip-off.

silversurfer
16-Sep-08, 21:32
I have enjoyed reading all the replies regarding Freeview - I can not get it as I take my signal from the transmitter at Oldfield Farm in Thurso. So, the question I would like to ask is what are the pro's and con's of Freesat?
Anybody got any experience to share?

peedie man
16-Sep-08, 21:38
i got a booster off e-bay for about £10,it helped greatly

Macwull
17-Sep-08, 00:32
I have enjoyed reading all the replies regarding Freeview - I can not get it as I take my signal from the transmitter at Oldfield Farm in Thurso. So, the question I would like to ask is what are the pro's and con's of Freesat?
Anybody got any experience to share?

Can you not get a signal from the orkney mast, heard of quite a few people in springpark area that has done this?

Neil Howie
17-Sep-08, 01:39
Hi I have a HD freesat box. Was watching the Marseille vs Liverpool game on ITV hd tonight, it looked fantastic.

Pros of freesat:

One off payment for box (and dish if needed)
No subscription charges
With a HD ready tv, and HD freesat box you have free BBC HD and sometimes ITV HD
Better quality signal as far as I can tell, than freeview.
More interactive channels due to arrive

Cons

No channel 5 until end of year
Still working on PVR/ recording to hard disk
BBC HD only on from 7pm tho it will increase
ITV HD only on interactive, no schedule
Satellite dish required (old Sky one will do)

dessie
17-Sep-08, 09:38
What people must remember when bying a freeview box is that you must by a wide band antenna not the normal antenna unless like me you live that close to the mast....so please remember (A WIDE BAND ANTENNA )is recomended.......but just as i remarked yesterday they are renewing the system in ( RUMSTER )...some freeview boxes are still working ok..but like mine its giving me problems..... also the digital setup will be switched on around the end of november..including dab radio.....:Razz

( WIDE BAND AERIAL )

Liz
17-Sep-08, 12:59
What people must remember when bying a freeview box is that you must by a wide band antenna not the normal antenna unless like me you live that close to the mast....so please remember (A WIDE BAND ANTENNA )is recomended.......but just as i remarked yesterday they are renewing the system in ( RUMSTER )...some freeview boxes are still working ok..but like mine its giving me problems..... also the digital setup will be switched on around the end of november..including dab radio.....:Razz

( WIDE BAND AERIAL )

Should the work being carried out at Rumster improve things or could there still be problems with some Freeview boxes?

Freesat does sound good but I couldn't be without a PVR now. It is like Sky+ for Freeview.

I am just going to wait until HD comes to Freeview I think (I know it will be a long wait!)and by then there should be an HD Humax PVR.