PDA

View Full Version : Films with a Scottish flavour....

landmarker
06-Jan-06, 20:36
You might have gathered I'm something of an albaphile. I have recently (since Christmas) been gathering as many films/dvd's with a Scottish connection as I can. Either filmed in the country or about the country.

I had a few already - the usual suspects (no, not that one) but Braveheart/Local Hero and such like. 'Rob Roy' dropped thru' our door today. I've also just bought 'Morvern Callar' 'Whisky Galore' and 'Breaking the Waves'

As interests go you might think this a bit duff but I like it !

Have I missed any? The 39 steps ( thirties Donat version) is on order.

Any I should know of which were shot in Caithness?

lassieinfife
06-Jan-06, 21:10
what about that awful one with david niven.... brigadoon?????????

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 21:11
How about Trainspotting?:)

unicorn
06-Jan-06, 21:14
Greyfriars bobby??????

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 21:16
The lassie film where she escapes from Edinburgh castle?

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 21:19
I remember a film about a highlander who gets spotted at a highland games and goes onto represent GB at the Olympic games. Of course he gets a gold medal at the end. I don't know the name but someone might?:D

unicorn
06-Jan-06, 21:22
http://www.iofilm.co.uk/eiff/feats/top20films.htm
try this link.

Saveman
06-Jan-06, 21:22
I remember a film about a highlander who gets spotted at a highland games and goes onto represent GB at the Olympic games. Of course he gets a gold medal at the end. I don't know the name but someone might?:D

Its called "Geordie"

I read the book. Haven't seen the film though.

Saveman
06-Jan-06, 21:26
Landmarker: you'd love "Weir's Way"
Its a 1970s program that is currently enjoying a revival on late night Grampian TV.

It's a must see! Pure quality.
:)

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 21:27
cheers Savey

I suppose 'Mrs Brown' has a Scottish flavour as well? That was a good film.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 21:28
What about "the Gift" about two footballers from Wick?

Geo
06-Jan-06, 21:33
Its called "Geordie"

It's good.

Saveman
06-Jan-06, 21:38
cheers Savey

Nah probs....I was just thinking about it before I read your post spookily enough....it brought it all back! :)

Anyone seen the short film with Ewen McGregor where he finds a big cream bun on an empty beach?

Geo
06-Jan-06, 21:40
Highlander
Gregory's Girl

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 21:41
Landmarker: you'd love "Weir's Way"
Its a 1970s program that is currently enjoying a revival on late night Grampian TV.

It's a must see! Pure quality.
:)

I hope it is on DVD as I always forget to watch it:D

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 21:42
Loch ness?

Geo
06-Jan-06, 21:53
Brian Pendreigh's Top 20 Scottish films:
http://www.iofilm.co.uk/scots/top20a.shtml

Saveman
06-Jan-06, 22:00
I hope it is on DVD as I always forget to watch it:D

It is available on DVD. I hear a rumour that 90-something Tom Weir gets no money from the repeats or dvd sales.:(

It really is a great show IMHO.....really captures the atmosphere and beauty of this bonny land. And it was made when I was 1 year old which is scary... ;)

landmarker
06-Jan-06, 22:15
...some good replies and ideas there - thank you. I forgot Shallow Grave ! Already have that on VHS. Gregory's Girl yes, that might be an idea - Cumbernauld I believe. I will look on the imdb for 'the gift' about the Wick footballers.

Weirs Way eh? Haven't heard of that one. Monarch of the Glen springs to mind -I only saw the last two series which were quite enjoyable. I wonder how Scots enjoy the way their country is depicted.

Trainspotting? Yes I have that one, it's another one I'd forgotten.

thanks for all the input. This is a busy site.

~~Tides~~
06-Jan-06, 23:30
Small Faces
The Wicker Man??

landmarker
06-Jan-06, 23:34
Oh aye - the 'Wicker Man' how could I forget that one.
I have it already but what a good film. We visited the 'Isle of Whithorn'
for a biking holiday (motor) in '98 and the locals were talking about the shooting (cave scene & the ending) as though it had happened yesterday. It was twenty five years earlier in fact. A memorable movie and something of a cult film now.

scorrie
07-Jan-06, 00:16
Its called "Geordie"

I have seen Geordie many times, it starred Bill Travers as the older Geordie and Paul Young played Geordie as a child. Paul Young went on to be presenter of Hooked On Scotland and recorded an episode about the River Thurso. He also recently starred in Still Game as the guy with big ears and extraordinary hearing. He was also in City Lights some time back.

Bill Travers also starred in The Bridal Path about a guy looking for a wife in the Western Isles and Ring Of Bright Water, also set in Scotland.

Another film set in Scotland was The Maggie which starred Fiona Clyne who was from Wick (early fifties), I think she may well have been in The Bridal Path as well.

Fran
07-Jan-06, 01:57
the film made in the village of Penan, aberdeenshire was good, but i can't rmember the name of it!

Sporran
07-Jan-06, 07:38
That was 'Local Hero', was it not, Fran? Pennan was one of the places they used to portray the Scottish fishing village in the film. Click on this link to see all the locations used: http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/flocalhero.html

I loved that movie! It still remains on my list of favourite films set in Scotland! :)

Chillie
07-Jan-06, 07:39
...some good replies and ideas there - thank you. I forgot Shallow Grave ! Already have that on VHS. Gregory's Girl yes, that might be an idea - Cumbernauld I believe. I will look on the imdb for 'the gift' about the Wick footballers.

Weirs Way eh? Haven't heard of that one. Monarch of the Glen springs to mind -I only saw the last two series which were quite enjoyable. I wonder how Scots enjoy the way their country is depicted.

Trainspotting? Yes I have that one, it's another one I'd forgotten.

thanks for all the input. This is a busy site.

I thought by your thread it was films you were wanting not tv series , there was a film on Sky movies film four the other night called Culloden made in 67/68 never heard of it before , could not watch it as i do not subscribe to that channel, i'am sure someone has seen it ?

Sporran
07-Jan-06, 07:57
Landmarker, another movie I'd recommend is 'Chariots of Fire'. I really enjoyed that one too, as well as the lovely theme tune by Vangelis. This is where it was filmed:
http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fchariots.html

robbain
07-Jan-06, 09:11
Tunes of Glory - Alec Guinness - based at Edinburgh Castle. Whisky Galore! - off the West Coast.

Sandra_B
07-Jan-06, 13:23
My favourites are Local Hero and Restless Natives. Also there is one called The Match.

landmarker
07-Jan-06, 16:32
Tunes of Glory...of course, how could I forget that one.

Yes, it was primarily films I was interested in.I will research 'Restless Natives'

As for 'Local Hero' have you seen how much the dvd's are on amazon?
(seventy quid) they must have stopped pressing it for some reason.

They regulrely bring thirty pounds on e.bay.
I bought the one remaining copy at our local virgin megastore for a tenner last week. I'd intended to sell it on but cannot bring meself to do so. The only other copy I have has Dutch subtitles! This is a brilliant film and first introduced us to the glories of Scotland north of the central belt back in the early eighties. We holidayed soon after at Arisaig and have not been settled since!!

The temperatures climbed into the eighties. Killer whales surfaced alongside our boat in the sound of sleat and those sunsets were just unbelievable.
The sky seemed on fire for hour after hour.

Those views of Eigg & Rhum have some hypnotic hold over my wife & I - we have about six large photos or paintings scattered around our house. In fact I can see one as I type, above my monitor underneath the stairs 'Audi.Eigg & Rhum' you'll have guessed the third constituent.

I soon found out the village scenes were shot in Pennan, on the other side of the country. A dramatic little village which seems to nestle at the foot of high cliffs. We shall visit one day.

Gus
07-Jan-06, 21:15
I have a copy of Local Hero on DVD if anyone wants it.

golach
07-Jan-06, 21:26
How about "Trainspotting & Rockets Galore"

willowbankbear
07-Jan-06, 21:26
A Shot at Glory Starring Robert Duvall Hollywood legend and Ally Mccoist about a fading footballers last throw at winning the scottish cup with Kinlochy? i think thats what they were called.
they did well getting to the final only to lose to the mighty Rangers on penalties, well it turned out ok in the end

Kenn
07-Jan-06, 23:06
How about "The Steamie" made originally for TV but now all episodes available on DVD.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 18:12
Irvine welsh's "The Acid House"

landmarker
08-Jan-06, 18:13
Blimey! I'd better start saving up. I didn't realise there were so many.
Off to scour e.bay

Rheghead
08-Jan-06, 19:23
Another good scottish film was 'Just a Boy's Game'. It was a short film about gangs in Greenock in the 1970s.

katarina
08-Jan-06, 19:45
The Silver darlings?

landmarker
15-Jan-06, 16:59
Bought the 'Debt Collector' - - A mesmerising movie. Watched it last night under a slightly alcohol induced haze but I have to say what gem it was !

I have 'Ratcatcher' & 'Small Faces' and 'The Match' on order.
I'll investigate all the other suggestions (like 'shot at glory/.silver darlings & 'just a boys game' )when 'me spendz' have recovered
to something like solvency - cheers everyone.

landmarker
15-Jan-06, 21:04
Today I managed to get hold of a VHS copy of 'Loch Ness' for seventy five pence at a car boot sale. How I enjoyed this feel good family movie. I can't wait until my grandaughter is old enough to enjoy it with me, she's only three!

Moist eyed and moved at the end I was also reminded how much I miss the Highlands. Of course it was Hollywood inspired hokum for the most part but I was unashamedly enthralled!

After the blood, guts and nastiness of the 'Debt Collector' last night I needed this shot of saccharin tinged celluloid.

I forget who reminded me of this film but a sincere thanks all the same.

Rheghead
15-Jan-06, 22:50
It is available on DVD. I hear a rumour that 90-something Tom Weir gets no money from the repeats or dvd sales.:(

It really is a great show IMHO.....really captures the atmosphere and beauty of this bonny land. And it was made when I was 1 year old which is scary... ;)

I have bought he whole series of Weirs way on DVD for a prezzie to my missus. We are having a weir of a time at the moment!
I think Tom Weir is getting royalties from the DVDs because he gives an interview as part of the DVD release. He is now aged 91 and still getting about , what a hero eh?

teddybear1873
15-Jan-06, 23:41
Bonnie Scotland with laurel and Hardy, that was a classic, liked that 1 when i was a bairn.
The Big Man with Liam Neeson and Billy Connoly was a good 1 as well

gleeber
16-Jan-06, 00:56
[QUOTE=SAVEY]I have seen Geordie many times, it starred Bill Travers as the older Geordie and Paul Young played Geordie as a child. Paul Young went on to be presenter of Hooked On Scotland and recorded an episode about the River Thurso. He also recently starred in Still Game as the guy with big ears and extraordinary hearing. He was also in City Lights some time back.[QUOTE]

I didnt know Paul Young was the wee Geordie MacTaggart. I saw it once when it first came out. I still remember some of the scenes. That was a classic.

Saveman
16-Jan-06, 01:01
QUOTE=SAVEY I have seen Geordie many times, it starred Bill Travers as the older Geordie and Paul Young played Geordie as a child. Paul Young went on to be presenter of Hooked On Scotland and recorded an episode about the River Thurso. He also recently starred in Still Game as the guy with big ears and extraordinary hearing. He was also in City Lights some time back.

I never said that. I've read the book, but I've not seen the film. :)
Scorrie is the person yer looking for!

Bill Fernie
16-Jan-06, 16:07
As an aside on this one I used to live not far from where Paul Young did. A few years older he moved away to begin his career as I was reaching my teens. I did see him in Edinburgh festival probably when he was still at Royal Academy of Music And Drama in Glasgow. He took part in reviews and church plays etc and of course his name would crop up from time to time as someone from the area getting well known - Brunstane just along from Portobello.

On another one mentioned above - I too have been rewatching the Weirs Way series - although it is on very late. I think I appreciate it more now than the few I can remember when it was first shown. I have still not seen them all but no doubt it may appear again in another 20 years. Apparently it has been huge hit with lots of age groups if they are up late enough to see it.

landmarker
22-Jan-06, 15:56
Fell asleep watching this one last night (seven quid from Amazon) it was un-remittingly grim, though I'll give it another chance.

Small Faces (six quid from e.bay) is here, and as yet unwatched. Saving it for late afternoon methinks.

Had a three mile walk today so I feel justified in breaking out a four pack of bitter and putting me feet up.

The sun is out, & it's chilly but life is sweet. Especially when you've just salvaged a tenner undamaged from yer kecks after a spin/wash!!

Tymey
04-Feb-06, 17:49
There was a Scottish one about an Oracle which lived in the sea and possibly the same film something about islanders off the west coast who painted sea gulls pink for some reason....