PDA

View Full Version : Argos!!!!!

porshiepoo
15-Sep-08, 17:42
Went into Argos today and have to say what a bunch of miserable, lazy so and so's there were serving in there - if serving is what you could call it.
I've always found the Argos staff to be rather a uninspired, quiet, miserable looking bunch, with a few exceptions, but today was the worst by far.
I know it's just a job to them and perhaps they shouldn't have to make any effort but just being served would be nice, it wasn't like the girls had anything better to do - other than chat to someone who was clearly a friend! They see you waiting but just ignore you and saunter on over in their own slooooooooooooow time. I don't expect speed necessarily but movement or an acknowledgment would be nice.
Then the monitor tells you your stuff is ready - is it eckers like - if it's made its way down the conveyor belt it'll still be waiting at the bottom for someone to finally bother to get round to picking it up.

Apologies if you work in Argos and are one of the minority that are actually pleasant and want to do your job, but those of you who just can't be bothered - give it up and let someone take the job that actually appreciates it!!!!!

I've had a fair few opportunities to mystery shop that place - wish I'd taken them up on it now!

Rant over!

badger
15-Sep-08, 17:48
If it's any consolation I've been trying for over a month now to get some simple information on a DVD advertised on the BBC Shop website. I have emailed twice, phoned heaven knows how many times - despite endless promises no-one ever phones back. One person left the company, one went on leave, supervisor has gone home, deputy is doing something else (having a cuppa?). Can we start a competition for the shop that cares least about its customers? [disgust]

porshiepoo
15-Sep-08, 18:03
They're probably too busy chatting to their mates [disgust] or having a laugh ignoring you!

balto
15-Sep-08, 18:17
The way i see it, as i work in a local shop, you treat the customer the way you expect to be treated, anything else is just ignorance. At the end of the day you dont get paid to stand around yapping to your mates, you get paid to do a job and thats to give 100% customer care.

Angela
15-Sep-08, 18:35
I took the train from Perth back to Edinburgh today. Train on time and plenty of seats. So far so good!

After a while the trolley was wheeled along and I asked for a cup of tea. While the trolley wifie was dispensing my cuppa, I managed to drag a nutrigrain bar out from the side of the trolley, which was squashed right up against me, and held the bar in my open hand, along with a five pound note.

Serious glare from trolley wifie. "Did you take that from the trolley?" she snarled. I agreed that I had.

"You're not to do that!" she roared. "Don't do that again!"

Well, I was a bit bemused and felt as if I was aged about 6. "Was I supposed to ask you for it?" I asked, "only it was right beside me..."

Another glare from trolley wifie, followed by blustering self justification.... "I'm not saying.....only.....folk cannae just go and help themselves......"

Not saying what exactly? not saying I was a nutrigrain bar thief with no intention of paying for it? :confused

Good customer service? I don't think so! [evil]

Anne x
15-Sep-08, 19:19
I took the train from Perth back to Edinburgh today. Train on time and plenty of seats. So far so good!

After a while the trolley was wheeled along and I asked for a cup of tea. While the trolley wifie was dispensing my cuppa, I managed to drag a nutrigrain bar out from the side of the trolley, which was squashed right up against me, and held the bar in my open hand, along with a five pound note.

Serious glare from trolley wifie. "Did you take that from the trolley?" she snarled. I agreed that I had.

"You're not to do that!" she roared. "Don't do that again!"

Well, I was a bit bemused and felt as if I was aged about 6. "Was I supposed to ask you for it?" I asked, "only it was right beside me..."

Another glare from trolley wifie, followed by blustering self justification.... "I'm not saying.....only.....folk cannae just go and help themselves......"

Not saying what exactly? not saying I was a nutrigrain bar thief with no intention of paying for it? :confused

Good customer service? I don't think so! [evil]

Sorry angela I laughed out loud at your saga maybe she thought you were squirreling it away sorry for the pun

Welcomefamily
15-Sep-08, 19:29
I agree in general with the Argos issue however I did have a pleasant chat with the lady on the jewellery store once she put her invoice pad down after I cleared my voice.

4 very good examples of customer care this week: Dee's shoes in Thurso, I took my son in to get a pair and they were brillant.
Reids chip shop in Thurso, a young lady black hair served me who smiled, asked how I was, what would I like, said thank you and Goodbye while still smiling.
Waitress at Wey Inn in Thurso was very good both chatty and smiling, young blonde girl.
Young chap serving Dunnet Garage at Wick, cheerful, chatty.

Just having someone who look like they are enjoying serving you and are smiling makes such a difference.

northener
15-Sep-08, 19:42
Don't worry porshiepoo, it's nothing personal against you..it's company policy.
With one or two individual exceptions the service in Daventry and Northampton was exactly the same.....

Bill Baileys' "Laminated book of dreams" sketch gives the right take on Argos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNAaz2PN-k

:D

quirbal
15-Sep-08, 19:58
I agree in general with the Argos issue however I did have a pleasant chat with the lady on the jewellery store once she put her invoice pad down after I cleared my voice.

I agree whenever I go into Argos the lady at the jewellery counter is always plaeasant and nice to chat to.

cat
15-Sep-08, 20:20
i always have problems in argos! last time i stood in queue at the only open till and as i neared the front of it the girl said to go over to the other tills.there was noone there but i thought someone would come and open a till,wrong!!two people that had been behind me got served and then she said to go back to original till lek i was a fool for standing at the other till!! all of this was done with me holding a squirming toddler!!
DE's, got a row for lifting a shoe out the window.i now know they have a sign saying not to,but she was the manager and should have spotted that i couldnt see what i was looking for,or at least worded her rant a bit better!i felt lek a five year old!
J Gunn, went there after de's and one girl was eating a roll and the other wouldnt have noticed if id walked out the door with the whole shop!!

Lolabelle
15-Sep-08, 20:45
Customer service seems to be an almost forgotten dream these days, at both ends of the world. I am so sick of being ignored, never looked at or even acknowlegded. [evil][evil]

Venture
15-Sep-08, 21:08
I have to say that Boots the chemist pharmacy counter in Wick gets my award. The past few weeks have gone from bad to worse. Previously when the young Irish guy called Sean worked there, the service was great, He knew what he was doing. Lately there is a different pharmacist every time you go in there.

You put a prescription in the week before and would expect it to be ready for collection a week later. Not the case. First they can't find it.. Then they ask you if you did put it in and when. Then they find it in the wrong place. Then it has to be made up. Then checked by the pharmacist. On checking someone has put the wrong tablets in the box or some of the tablets have run out and wont be available till the next day. Then one of the assistants has a query they go off to deal with it in the middle of making up your prescription or they go off to answer the phone.

If you are lucky and it has been made up they go through about 5 drawers to look for it before discovering that its through the back still to be checked. Forty-five minutes later you get your prescription. Three times Ive been in and the wrong medication has been given. Twice Ive had to come back because they dont have it in stock. You go in and there are loads of folk who have been waiting ages and still have to be served before you. There is a big difference in their service. I shall definitely be changing to another chemist from now on.

Bad Manners
15-Sep-08, 21:08
Unfortunately shops dont appear to train staff any more it is the exception when you find someone helpful or happy.
If retailers invested time and training on their staff instead of the silly gimicks they try to promate their business they would be far better off.
I have always treated people as I would like to be treated I just wonder if these inept shop staff treat their friends in a better manner than they do at work.
Smile at someone they smile back,be polite and they will be polite with you.

balto
15-Sep-08, 21:11
Unfortunately shops dont appear to train staff any more it is the exception when you find someone helpful or happy.
If retailers invested time and training on their staff instead of the silly gimicks they try to promate their business they would be far better off.
I have always treated people as I would like to be treated I just wonder if these inept shop staff treat their friends in a better manner than they do at work.
Smile at someone they smile back,be polite and they will be polite with you.
you shouldnt need trained in any special skill to be nice and polite to customers, as you say smile and be polite and they will be polite and smile bck to you afte all it doesnt cost nothing

twinkletoes
15-Sep-08, 21:26
Its not just the staff in Argos who have no customer care skills in both Wick and Thurso I have found this, good manners cost nothing and to be polite whether you are an shop assistant or a customer works wonders after all one smile can make someones day and a cheery word can work whether its a customer or a shop assistant who says it.

neepnipper
15-Sep-08, 21:28
I work in a shop and I'm always happy, smiling and helpful, you have to be, it's the job, I would feel I had let myself down if I was miserable or unhelpful.

balto
15-Sep-08, 21:31
Its not just the staff in Argos who have no customer care skills in both Wick and Thurso I have found this, good manners cost nothing and to be polite whether you are an shop assistant or a customer works wonders after all one smile can make someones day and a cheery word can work whether its a customer or a shop assistant who says it.
you get this everywhere not just wick or thurso, i can only imagine the problem is all over.

purplelady
15-Sep-08, 23:01
I too work in a shop in wick and can say am always firendly and chatty to my customers to the extent that i get in trouble for talking to much lol but have to say works both ways if the customers is happy and smiling makes me want to smile and be nice and chatty too .

Gizmo
16-Sep-08, 00:15
Unfortunately shops dont appear to train staff any more

No, that's not the case, most shops do train their staff, as do Argos, the problem is that most of the staff just couldn't really care, and young girls in particular are just bone idle.

Last week i thought i was never going to get away from the front counter in Blunderfield, the sullen faced young girl shuffled around like she had glue on her soles.

Bad Manners
16-Sep-08, 08:29
No, that's not the case, most shops do train their staff, as do Argos, the problem is that most of the staff just couldn't really care, and young girls in particular are just bone idle.

Last week i thought i was never going to get away from the front counter in Blunderfield, the sullen faced young girl shuffled around like she had glue on her soles.
If indeed you are correct and they have had training and been told to be polite to customer,serve them with a smile and serve them efficently then they should be reported to their manager or area manager and be repremanded if they fail to provide the level of service the retailer wants.
If however you do report this matter and nothing is done it will tell you the level of service the retailer thinks it's customers deserve.
Sad but true some retailers still dont rate customer service as their number one priority. Just the money in the till.

Fluff
16-Sep-08, 08:29
Now Gizmo I take exception to that statement about young girls being bone idle, that is a very generalized comment. I started working when I was 16 or 17, and in customer service since then, I am 24 now and I have always taken pride in giving a smile and trying my best. I know not everyone is like that but not all young girls are bone idle either

Torvaig
16-Sep-08, 08:58
Now Gizmo I take exception to that statement about young girls being bone idle, that is a very generalized comment. I started working when I was 16 or 17, and in customer service since then, I am 24 now and I have always taken pride in giving a smile and trying my best. I know not everyone is like that but not all young girls are bone idle either

Fluff, you are right; there is many a long-faced older adult working in the service industries as well. As someone said on a previous post, a smile and acknowledgement no matter how busy they are, works wonders for both customer and staff.

Having said that, there are bound to be days when someone has nothing to smile about, illlness, trouble at home etc., but I don't think it affects as many souls as are going around our businesses! I must admit to shopping when in a very low mood and it takes a special person to lift me from that mood and I am happy to say there are quite a few special persons around who can do that and have me smiling again.

Businesses are too lack-a-daisical in making sure that their customers get a decent welcome and some of the culprits are the business owners themselves. There are a few places that have the attitude that "I'm the expert here, you need me and I'm not going to make it easy for you". then come the smart-alec remarks and beligerant attitude.

Anyway, it is certainly a large problem and the only positive side that comes out of it is that I appreciate when someone greets me with a smile, a "be with you as soon as possible" and a genuine effort to do all they can for me. I feel sorry for those who have to says things such as "can I help you with anything more today" and "would you be interested in any perfumes today" everytime you go in the store. Many staff have the intelligence and personality to offer extras without it being like toeing the party line! Paying them a bit more and treating them as humans helps!

If staff and customers put a bit more thought and effort into their dealings with each other, there would be a little more sunshine in everyone's life....then again, that could be said of us all.....the driver who is always in a hurry, the people who walk two or three abreast on the pavement, people who talk loudly on their mobiles whilst at the checkout....those who get drunk and think everyone should be accepting of it.....oh dear, my brain is hurting......:lol:

Angela
16-Sep-08, 09:13
I agree with you wholeheartedly, Torvaig!:)

And Fuff, of course it's a ridiculous and unfair generalisation to suggest that all girls are bone idle!

I'd say your posts have always shown that you take a real pride in your work and go out of your way to give your customers a good service. :)

gaby2003
16-Sep-08, 09:49
Has anyone else found that the guy that works in argos is always outside having a fag every15-30mins i was shoppin in wick the other day and went into argos and he was standing at the front door having a fag then i went a walk down to new look&superdrug must hav been bout 20mins if that and here he was again sparking up another fag!i really dont think they care bout their customer service at all!

dunbrake
16-Sep-08, 10:26
I think Argo's staff need to go in and get a few lessons in customer service from the staff in New Look. They are always very pleasant and attentive.

Thumper
16-Sep-08, 10:41
I must admit that I have seen the staff in Argos acting exactly as described but theres one woman there who is always happy and helpful.Its not just Argos though its everywhere nowadays!Even some of the bars are like that,I was in one a few weeks ago,stood at the bar,staff walked straight past me,then the owner past and my OH asked if anyone was serving,the owner just looked at him like he was mad and walked off....so we did the same thing and wont be going back there again!x

SunsetSong
16-Sep-08, 11:05
I've a completely different story regarding Agros.

Went in recently to get a new phone and had one of those swipe voucher cards from envirophone for trading in old mobile phones. Was using it to pay for my purchase....I hadn't noticed that the back of the card was still stuck with a blob of glue from it being on the letter and would not swipe. I offered to pay in cash instead but the woman at the counter was very, very helpful and went and got cloth etc to clean it, 15mins we were before she could get enough of the unremovable glue off the back of the card so it would swipe!!

And all along she was chatting away to both myself and my 10 year old daughter...she couldn't have been more helpful if she had tried!!

Kevin Milkins
16-Sep-08, 12:07
I needed a plank of wood to do a job at home and got the materials I needed from Sutherlands timber yard in Union Street Wick.
As always they give you a good and polite service and make it a pleasant shopping experience.
Many years ago before the multiples took over the world I remember going shopping with mam and that was what shopping day was about. It was a day of interaction with people and engage in pleasant banter (and of course gossip).
Nowadays all we want to do is get done and get home.
Since many independent shops have now give up it may be a time for us to realise that the phrase value for money has more than one meaning.

Gizmo
16-Sep-08, 13:52

Would you be happy if i said 'most young girls are bone idle' instead?, having worked alongside many 16/17/18yr old girls i would say that at least 70% of them are bone idle and afraid of work, as are a lot of young lads, but nowhere near as bad as girls seem to be, my comment wasn't a sweeping generalisation of all young girls and shouldn't have been taken as such.

Nvidi4
16-Sep-08, 22:17
Weve never had a problem of any kind in argos ever as I dont expect them to "dance to attention" just because I enter their store.......I wait my turn I dont go mental if theyre caught up in something else which theyre not usually and even if they are it doesnt bother me. Ive only ever had friendly courteous service with a bit of humour thrown in....... you get back what you give out. And I dont expect it to be run with military precision......lighten up and maybe youll find they {the staff} will also!

percy toboggan
16-Sep-08, 22:25
I think the original, instigative post reminds us all that British people do not enjoy serving others, and this is summed uyp by the trolley wielding snarler encountered by Angela.

I would never willingly put myself into a position where I was dealing with the public at large, because they contain a sizeable proportion of folk who are horrible, ill mannered, ugly, smell or all of the above.

I'd not work for Argos money (unless I was driving one of their artics on nights) but if I had a bad experience with inattentive staff I'd say summat and take my business elsewhere. Having seen the Argos in Wick, and assuming this is the one in question I appreciate this might not be an option unless you have four gallons of petrol to spare. Dash a letter off to head office instead.

It looked new enough for the staff to be still grateful they are in work. If the shine has already rubbed off their customer service skills they need a prod.

porshiepoo
17-Sep-08, 08:28
Weve never had a problem of any kind in argos ever as I dont expect them to "dance to attention" just because I enter their store.......I wait my turn I dont go mental if theyre caught up in something else which theyre not usually and even if they are it doesnt bother me. Ive only ever had friendly courteous service with a bit of humour thrown in....... you get back what you give out. And I dont expect it to be run with military precision......lighten up and maybe youll find they {the staff} will also!

"Dance to attention"????? Whoever said I expect that? Certainly not me!
But actually I do expect them to be helpful and courteous and serve me when they've nothing else to do but stand about chatting.
I waited at the till to be served and the 2 girls saw me (I looked straight at them) and they never asked me to go to a different till or even ask me to hang on. After waiting a while another customer came in and got served at the other till, then took up a conversation with her mate, the cashier.
Eventually I just went over to the machine and paid for it all electronically.
Sat down and waited and waited and waited, till eventually my number was called. Even when my number was called there was no product ready and no person attending to get it anyways.
The place is diabolical!
I get that everyone has a bad day, can get bored etc etc but as you so rightly say "you get back what you give out" and their day would go much quicker and happier if they at least made some effort.
If they don't care about customer service and can't be bothered to serve people then they should ship out and let someone in that would really appreciate the job.

That letter to head office is winging its way there, but not just because of this one incident, I've actually found the same thing happens alot of the time I go in there. The amount of helpful, friendly staff is in the minority and I think next time I'm going to take names. :p

Sapphire2803
17-Sep-08, 09:23
I have a method for shopping in Argos which keeps me sane. I reserve what I want online, then I go in to the store and pay for my reserved items on the machiney thing (techy term there) and then I take a seat and read my book. I ignore my number on screen and any automated voices which tell me my item is ready for collection and I only move when a member of staff calls me.

When you've seen the large Argos stores running at full tilt in cities with staff scurrying everywhere and keeping things moving properly, then the Wick branch does seem somewhat lacking.

Nvidi4
17-Sep-08, 10:34
"Dance to attention"????? Whoever said I expect that? Certainly not me!
But actually I do expect them to be helpful and courteous and serve me when they've nothing else to do but stand about chatting.
I waited at the till to be served and the 2 girls saw me (I looked straight at them) and they never asked me to go to a different till or even ask me to hang on. After waiting a while another customer came in and got served at the other till, then took up a conversation with her mate, the cashier.
Eventually I just went over to the machine and paid for it all electronically.
Sat down and waited and waited and waited, till eventually my number was called. Even when my number was called there was no product ready and no person attending to get it anyways.
The place is diabolical!
I get that everyone has a bad day, can get bored etc etc but as you so rightly say "you get back what you give out" and their day would go much quicker and happier if they at least made some effort.
If they don't care about customer service and can't be bothered to serve people then they should ship out and let someone in that would really appreciate the job.

That letter to head office is winging its way there, but not just because of this one incident, I've actually found the same thing happens alot of the time I go in there. The amount of helpful, friendly staff is in the minority and I think next time I'm going to take names. :p

Sorry but weve always had good service at Argos, the staff are friendly helpful and usually we have a good banter with them, then again we dont go there expecting to be treated like royalty, theyre human beings the same as you and me, they have off days or maybe have things going wrong in their lives and would appreciate a smile from a customer now and again, its not all one-sided...shop assistants are not a different breed from customers neither are they robots .........infact last time we were there we chose the product and were in and out the door faster than you could say Jack Robinson and I have never seen "cant be bothered" staff, then again if thats what you go looking for youll most likely find it! Instead of "looking straight at them" which to me sounds rather intimidating and scary... you could try saying to them you look awful fed up whats wrong.......they might tell you that their cat died that morning, or my hubby ran off with another woman or maybe someone is giving them a hard time at home..........its not always easy to smile when things are going wrong in your life but you could try giving them a smile instead of looking for the negative all the time and they just may respond to you! Then their day may go quicker and happier! Theres nothing worse than having to put up with "miserable" customers all day long to make your day at work a misery!

Mik.M.
18-Sep-08, 22:34
Following on from Northerner`s comment about Argos,I prefer Jasper Carrott`s take on the staff. They all failed thier Woolworths exam.:lol:

loobyloo
18-Sep-08, 22:48
Following on from Northerner`s comment about Argos,I prefer Jasper Carrott`s take on the staff. They all failed thier Woolworths exam.:lol:

LOL! I was about to say that Woolies staff are brilliant. And the coop. It's always good to smile at people in shops, pubs, restaurants. It usually makes a difference. I've worked in all three and sometimes it is hard to be cheery. Sometimes it's hard to turn up at all. And yes, I know they are getting paid to do a job blah blah blah but none of us are perfect. We all have off days. Must say, I've never had a problem in Argos. I've never actually seen anyone with a smile on their face or any enthusiasm but, I dinnae blame them! If you had to choose a shop to work in, would you choose Argos? They have always been polite to me, served me reasonably promptly and that's enough for me.

2little2late
18-Sep-08, 22:56
Do Argos actually have a manager now? The one and only time I have seen the manager is when I went for a job interview about 18 months ago. So glad I didn't get the job as I have too much of a personality.

Yoda the flump
19-Sep-08, 20:18
Yes they do now have a manager.

2little2late
19-Sep-08, 23:21
Yes they do now have a manager.

Who is he/she?

blowfish
19-Sep-08, 23:30
Who is he/she?

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/353-3875191MSA70UC498132T.jpg here he is catalogue no -387/5191

customer care gauranteed:lol:

nicnak
20-Sep-08, 14:43
Well I went into Argos today and as usual was treated with polite, friendly staff, I would particularly like to compliment Mary and the young lady behind the jewellery counter who's name I didnt get, both were very smiley happy people who went beyond the call of duty in altering my watch and helping me choose a wedding ring! Many thanks again a very happy shopping experience!

porshiepoo
20-Sep-08, 15:58
Sorry but weve always had good service at Argos, the staff are friendly helpful and usually we have a good banter with them, then again we dont go there expecting to be treated like royalty, theyre human beings the same as you and me, they have off days or maybe have things going wrong in their lives and would appreciate a smile from a customer now and again, its not all one-sided...shop assistants are not a different breed from customers neither are they robots .........infact last time we were there we chose the product and were in and out the door faster than you could say Jack Robinson and I have never seen "cant be bothered" staff, then again if thats what you go looking for youll most likely find it! Instead of "looking straight at them" which to me sounds rather intimidating and scary... you could try saying to them you look awful fed up whats wrong.......they might tell you that their cat died that morning, or my hubby ran off with another woman or maybe someone is giving them a hard time at home..........its not always easy to smile when things are going wrong in your life but you could try giving them a smile instead of looking for the negative all the time and they just may respond to you! Then their day may go quicker and happier! Theres nothing worse than having to put up with "miserable" customers all day long to make your day at work a misery!

You're having a laugh!!! I'm sorry but I don't go in to a shop to cure the ills of every grumpy looking member of staff and I certainly wouldn't expect them to want to tell me if in fact their hubby had ran off with someone and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to know!
Let's put this into context: Their job (which they applied for and accepted) is to serve customers. i.e stand at the till, take their slips, take their money and then give them the item when it arrives - yes, amongst other things which I'm sure doesn't include chatting.
I expect nothing more than that. I certainly don't want to stand and have a conversation with them about their problems and hold up other people that are waiting. Nor do I expect to have to wait while they finish nattering to their friends and I shouldn't have to ask if they mind serving me. If they do mind serving then I think they're in the wrong job and if they're problems are affecting the job that they are in (especially customer services) then maybe they should be on sick leave or doing something that means they aren't put in a position whereby they ignore the very customers that mean their wages get paid every week.
These girls weren't looking like they were having a bad day anyway, or looking sad, depleted etc etc. One was having a chat with her friend (a customer that came in after me) and the other one was hiding behind any shelf possible making it look like she was actually doing something.
As for staring right at them, what the heck am I supposed to do? Stare at their feet? Or my feet?? And ask them if they could serve me when they fancy it?
I hadn't just walked into the shop either, I'd been waiting at the till a fair while.

Basically, I understand everyone has a bad day. I wasn't in a rush and expecting immediate sole attention, I simply wanted someone to take my order!

NikNak - I want that person to serve me next time! :)

lady penelope
20-Sep-08, 19:39
At least there was staff in the shop. My oh and I went into DE Shoes in Wick the other day and it was void of anyone serving. Noises coming from upstairs so we hung around for a minute, still no staff. Very strange :eek:

porshiepoo
21-Sep-08, 09:16
Oh well......whatever! Ive never had a problem anyway, I dont stare either I just sort of hang around and bide my time till I get served. Then again us locals are like that, laid back with all the time in the world never in a rush to get anywhere, infact we quite enjoy just having the time to hang about and have a natter! I never see any point in getting into a rage or a bad mood just because someones not jumped up and served me immediately.......lifes too short to get into moods for things like that and it serves no purpose only gives you a coronary and I cant imagine for one minute why one of the staff was hiding :eek: I am having a laugh!!! :lol:

Since moving up here we have actually become very laid back and as I said I wasn't in a rush. But to be ignored completely was just plain rude and bad customer service.

You may not be bothered about having to hang around Argos until someone can be bothered to serve you but would you feel the same if you walked into a restaraunt or a bank and no one bothered to serve you? Nope, my guess is that you'd walk out or kick up a stink in the place.

I personally think I dealt with it quite well. Yes I looked at them (sorry I was always taught that eye contact is the polite way to go), I waited and waited and waited and eventually decided to take myself off to the electronic machine and do it all myself. If the staff were too busy to serve, fair enough, but they weren't they were too busy chatting.
No matter, I have contacted head office and lodged my complaint about the customer services, as is my right to do so.

The Swedish Chef
21-Sep-08, 09:32
Seems to me that if you are unhappy with the service then speak to the most senior person present, if you get no staisfaction there right to the very top man in the company with a polite letter. Why not ask the Manager for feedback forms to be available and visible in the store ??, works both ways as you can also compliment as well as complain.

I work in Communications, I set up Sat phone equipment on ships and on completion of a job the client fills in a feedback form with such things as Competence, Worksite tidiness, Timekeeping, Attitude and even Temperament. I would be happy to choke some clients but this keeps those feelings in check. We are all human and if the staff knew that Customer feedback forms were available freely for peope to fill in it might sharpen up their attitudes a bit.

My local Argos is pretty good though, no complaints at all. The one place that the staff do annoy me though is my local Subway where they act like you are bothering them. I just stand there and change my mind constantly to annoy them. If they display a crap attiude its Jalepaenos on/off/on .. lettuce/no lettuce etc .. [evil]

hotrod4
21-Sep-08, 11:02
Slightly off topic but I used to love the old "Shoppies" where you were served by an old mannie or wifie and they would go out of their way to get "the crack". Half the time they were fishing for gossip but you didnt mind as they were just being polite and friendly.Something that seems to be misiing from some shops.

purplelady
21-Sep-08, 19:33
so ok we are all busy saying about bad service we have recevied how about good service lets hear all your stories about good service i work in a shop and reallt think i give good service when i am allowed by my boss am always getting told of for being to chatty and trying to hard to help but would love to hear the postive side of things

balto
21-Sep-08, 19:53
so ok we are all busy saying about bad service we have recevied how about good service lets hear all your stories about good service i work in a shop and reallt think i give good service when i am allowed by my boss am always getting told of for being to chatty and trying to hard to help but would love to hear the postive side of things
aye it would be nice wouldnt it, i am currently on maternity leave but miss the banter i used to get with the customers, love serving the customers, to me they are friends that i havent met yet as i treat them like they were my friends, sad i know but hey thats me, treat the customers how you would expect to be treated.

purplelady
24-Sep-08, 22:47
aye it would be nice wouldnt it, i am currently on maternity leave but miss the banter i used to get with the customers, love serving the customers, to me they are friends that i havent met yet as i treat them like they were my friends, sad i know but hey thats me, treat the customers how you would expect to be treated.
totally agree i treat my customers the same as i like to be treated i work in woollies and think we give good service to our customers all the time well i do anyway hehehehe

Gizmo
24-Sep-08, 23:54
totally agree i treat my customers the same as i like to be treated i work in woollies and think we give good service to our customers all the time well i do anyway hehehehe

Woolies is probably the best place in town for friendly helpful staff, can't say i have ever had cause to grumble about the service there....and i do like a good grumble now and again :)

porshiepoo
25-Sep-08, 08:25

Start a new thread then! This thread was in reference to bad service in Argos, don't hijack it with something else!

rockchick
25-Sep-08, 16:37
Instead of "looking straight at them" which to me sounds rather intimidating and scary... you could try saying to them you look awful fed up whats wrong.......they might tell you that their cat died that morning, or my hubby ran off with another woman or maybe someone is giving them a hard time at home...

Sorry Nvidi4, but shop staff are not there to burden you with their problems...they are there to provide a service, and if they can't do that due to their personal life then they better get their act together. I have awful days where I still have to go to work and function with pleasantness; so does everyone else.

Nvidi4
25-Sep-08, 19:34
I was a shop assistant for quite a number of years rockchick.......the one thing we were taught was the customer is always right! We had to be polite nad pleasant at all times regardless of how grouchy the customer was {and there was a lot of them} or how bad we were feeling we also "chatted" to them, there was none of this military precision stuff that you get nowadays.........and we did not burden anyone with our problems but we did share our troubles if we had any or if the customer had any! Getting to "know" your customers is a good thing then theyll always come back especially in a small community......there are bad customers but not many bad assistants.......at least I havent seen any! But then again maybe im in the priveleged position of knowing what its like to be the assistant therefore I personally never have any problems with so-called "bad" staff......as I see them on the same level as myself ....a human being not a robot!;)

trix
25-Sep-08, 20:50
Would you be happy if i said 'most young girls are bone idle' instead?, having worked alongside many 16/17/18yr old girls i would say that at least 70% of them are bone idle and afraid of work, as are a lot of young lads, but nowhere near as bad as girls seem to be, my comment wasn't a sweeping generalisation of all young girls and shouldn't have been taken as such.

i think 'at is a ridiculous statement til make. 70% o' 'e young lassies ye hev workt way are borne lazy an afraid o' work??

are ye in employment yersel ifanow? :Razz

balto
25-Sep-08, 20:54
I was a shop assistant for quite a number of years rockchick.......the one thing we were taught was the customer is always right! We had to be polite nad pleasant at all times regardless of how grouchy the customer was {and there was a lot of them} or how bad we were feeling we also "chatted" to them, there was none of this military precision stuff that you get nowadays.........and we did not burden anyone with our problems but we did share our troubles if we had any or if the customer had any! Getting to "know" your customers is a good thing then theyll always come back especially in a small community......there are bad customers but not many bad assistants.......at least I havent seen any! But then again maybe im in the priveleged position of knowing what its like to be the assistant therefore I personally never have any problems with so-called "bad" staff......as I see them on the same level as myself ....a human being not a robot!;)
this must be the most annoying part, is the fact as you say every customer is right, what a load of rubbish but hey if we must pretend they are then hey we must. nothing worse than having someone come in and you know they are speaking rubbish and you are supposed to stand there and smile, oh so annoying. but i still try to be as nice as i can even if they are getting on my goat.

purplelady
25-Sep-08, 23:26
this must be the most annoying part, is the fact as you say every customer is right, what a load of rubbish but hey if we must pretend they are then hey we must. nothing worse than having someone come in and you know they are speaking rubbish and you are supposed to stand there and smile, oh so annoying. but i still try to be as nice as i can even if they are getting on my goat.
hey is,nt it just lol must say 99.9% of my customers are brill

balto
26-Sep-08, 12:23
hey is,nt it just lol must say 99.9% of my customers are brill
oh in thurso you get some right characters, and some of them arent very nice if they dont get their own way.

bekisman
29-Oct-08, 13:22
Better check your receipts!

Argos charged twice on 24th Oct (Argos double charges 190,000 customers leaving many in the red)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/10/29/argos-double-charges-190-000-customers-leaving-many-in-the-red-115875-20848928/ (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/10/29/argos-double-charges-190-000-customers-leaving-many-in-the-red-115875-20848928/)

weegie
29-Oct-08, 14:44
dont get me started on Argos,,,,
When i was pregnant and living in Glasgow my OH and I ordered a new Sofa and a Cot from Argos, My sofa turned up 3 months later after loads of phone calls,letters and visits to the shop, but my cot... well it turned up when my daughter was 3months old. I waited nearly 7 months for it. with so many excuses, by that time we had another one anyway.

Now 4 years on i bought my Oh a birthday prezzie in there, the excuses started almost as sonn as i had bought it, first it was going to be 4-5 days then at the end on the weekk, then the end of the month... in the end i had had enough got money back and have sworn down ill never grace them with another penny.

the service has always been shody in there

binbob
29-Oct-08, 16:37
never ever had any problems with any aspect of argos ..from shop girls to delivery men.great place to shop.i think we are only treated by others by the way in which we respond to them.
congrats to the 2 girls who gave me my new replacement hoover last week.pleasant as pie.
[lol]

rockchick
30-Oct-08, 03:06
I've worked as a shop assistant for both clothing and fish shops thank you very much; I've also worked in customer service for years in a more professional field. Getting to know your customers does not mean burdening them with your problems - there's a time and a place for that, and it's over a cuppa AFTER you've left your work for the day, or on your break. NEVER on the floor and certainly never when someone is waiting to be served...that's just wrong!

Aaldtimer
30-Oct-08, 04:22
Has anyone experienced the choeographed wrapping of a purchase (as shown on their latest ads one tele) in Wick?:confused

Nvidi4
30-Oct-08, 10:03
I've worked as a shop assistant for both clothing and fish shops thank you very much; I've also worked in customer service for years in a more professional field. Getting to know your customers does not mean burdening them with your problems - there's a time and a place for that, and it's over a cuppa AFTER you've left your work for the day, or on your break. NEVER on the floor and certainly never when someone is waiting to be served...that's just wrong!

I never said anything about burdening anyone with MY problems............we knew our customers and they knew us! :cool: A bit of "banter" or a "blether" was all part of the service and there was none of the "animated robotic talk" taught by the "big" shops/stores that you get nowadays! [disgust] Complaints by customers were unheard of as we were all Jock Thamsons bairns.......Wick is a very small community and theres nothing worse than being treated like a number rather than a person ......hence the personal touch if you get my drift! :D