PDA

View Full Version : name needed

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-06, 12:46
who can help? In the 50/60's (in Wick) there was a man called Alex Matheson who had a horse and cart business. What I am looking for is the name of the horse??!!
Any help would be great.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 12:56
who can help? In the 50/60's (in Wick) there was a man called Alex Matheson who had a horse and cart business. What I am looking for is the name of the horse??!!
Any help would be great.as far as I can remember her name is Polly.

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-06, 13:24
thanks.........do you remember Alex and his horse and cart?

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 13:33
thanks.........do you remember Alex and his horse and cart?I dont remember much..just that he did deliverys from the mart and maybe coal, any small flittings. He had a store at the top of barrogill street,where he kept Polly, who was a black and white clydesdale. I hope that helps a bit.:) In fact I believe there is a picture of them in the latest Caithness book, sorry I dont know the name of the book.

Chillie
06-Jan-06, 18:22
I racked a few old brains to find out about Alex'ie Matt as he was known he lived at the top of Albert Street and done various moving jobs with the horse and cart as well as rag and bone , now the last horse he had was a clydesdale horse, black with a white maine and his name was Dick.

Why are you asking anyway dirdyweeker?

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 20:45
I racked a few old brains to find out about Alex'ie Matt as he was known he lived at the top of Albert Street and done various moving jobs with the horse and cart as well as rag and bone , now the last horse he had was a clydesdale horse, black with a white maine and his name was Dick.

Why are you asking anyway dirdyweeker?Sorry Chillie it seems I dont really remember much at all. Perhaps you are slightly older than I am..lol;)

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:08
I was telling my mither and father about this post and my dad told me that alex used to say to the horse ever night . ( if you live to morning you get your corn but if you dont you none ) He thinks the horse name was dumty and it was all black and the stable were in ruthered street at the top miller yard at the bottom and he lived in house at the top of albert street were dosser bain live now .

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:12
I don't know much about this...guess i'm not that old then there is a yard in rutherford street, i remember in the early 80's a woman kept her horse in there amoung many other animals.

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-06, 22:14
yes my sister once rode on his horse and cart. He definately kept the horse in Rutherford Street and I have seen plenty photos of them both but just wondered for a quiz answer what the horses name was. Somehow from the old grey matter still deep within my brain cells 'Polly' sounds the most familiar. Mind you he probably replaced Polly eventually. I certainly remember them both well but not the horses name!

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:26
I don't know much about this...guess i'm not that old then there is a yard in rutherford street, i remember in the early 80's a woman kept her horse in there amoung many other animals.
Was that the same women that had her horses up beside the south school and she lived in the house a cross the road next to the garage ?

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:32
Was that the same women that had her horses up beside the south school and she lived in the house a cross the road next to the garage ?

yes..................lol

ice box
06-Jan-06, 22:34
yes..................lol
Now she had some pets lol

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:35
Now she had some pets lol

aye, about 100 of early living animal...:eek:

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:52
as far as I can remember her name is Polly.

You could be right connie i have heard about alex and polly sounds familiar.
I think he had 3 horses not all at once mind you.

Fran
07-Jan-06, 01:54
yes that was her, and she used to ride her horse down the street, does anyone remember that!!!

angela5
07-Jan-06, 01:58

I remember her riding around town on her horse, the horse was borrowed one evening by a man who was later arrested for being drunk whilst riding the horse along bridge street.lol does anyone remember this being in the local paper?:eek:

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:00
I remember her riding around town on her horse, the horse was borrowed one evening by a man who was later arrested for being drunk whilst riding the horse along bridge street.lol does anyone remember this being in the local paper?:eek:How long ago you talking about?

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:01
How long ago you talking about?

late 1980's i think

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:05
late 1980's i thinkI don't remember that. I'm trying to think of this women. I think i might know her, is she still on the go?

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:05
She also had a donkey and loads of hamster. and that in my old house in old wick road we had rats in the back garden and we found out that rats came because she had the horses tied in the garage at the side of her house and the horse dung miding beside them all neighbour were complaining i think she is in lyth now .

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:06
I don't remember that. I'm trying to think of this women. I think i might know her, is she still on the go?

She sure is no longer in wick now thurso has been blessed with her.lol

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:08
She sure is no longer in wick now thurso has been blessed with her.lolOh no, I dont know her then..Is the horse in Thurso too. LOL:) Ah, this is not the one with the horse in the house is it?

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 02:08
horse in the house???????? in Thurso?????? I dont get out enough lol

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:09
Oh no, I dont know her then..Is the horse in Thurso too. LOL:) Ah, this is not the one with the horse in the house is it?

no the one that kept the horse in the upstairs bedroom was in the 70's

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:10
She also had a donkey and loads of hamster. and that in my old house in old wick road we had rats in the back garden and we found out that rats came because she had the horses tied in the garage at the side of her house and the horse dung miding beside them all neighbour were complaining i think she is in lyth now .Yuk..I hope thats the place you move out of!!:(

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 02:10
Ok this is a story I have never ever heard..... I am intrigued

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:11
horse in the house???????? in Thurso?????? I dont get out enough lol

no it was in wick in the 70's the funniest thing was the council asked "what about the smell" she replied, " the horse will get used to it".:eek:

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:14
She also had a donkey and loads of hamster. and that in my old house in old wick road we had rats in the back garden and we found out that rats came because she had the horses tied in the garage at the side of her house and the horse dung miding beside them all neighbour were complaining i think she is in lyth now .

haha, and it went eee aww all night long.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 02:14
See there's another thread starter all the funny stories over the years in Caithness. So far we have sheriff giving ludicrous sentence, horse with no sense of smell and crazy owner and drunk in charge of a horse in an hour lol.

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:16
haha, and it went eee aww all night long.
Was that not in glamis road.

star
07-Jan-06, 02:16
no it was in wick in the 70's the funniest thing was the council asked "what about the smell" she replied, " the horse will get used to it".:eek:

a friend of mine's father worked for the trading standards years ago and had a complaint from the afore mentioned house holder who said that their living room carpet was ruined because their was sparks coming off the coal, a long investigation ensued where tests were done on the coal only to transpire that they had been welding in the sitting room and were trying to get compensation for their carpet from the coal yard

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:17
See there's another thread starter all the funny stories over the years in Caithness. So far we have sheriff giving ludicrous sentence, horse with no sense of smell and crazy owner and drunk in charge of a horse in an hour lol.

haha it would be good, im in stitches.

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:17
See there's another thread starter all the funny stories over the years in Caithness. So far we have sheriff giving ludicrous sentence, horse with no sense of smell and crazy owner and drunk in charge of a horse in an hour lol.Thats such a good idea,but i bet if there was a thread started specially for the stories we wouldnt think of any. Its funny how the posts just lead to something really funny...:D :D

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:18
Was that not in glamis road.

no, back of the whisky distillery, was there a little sarcasim im missing in that post?

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:18
a friend of mine's father worked for the trading standards years ago and had a complaint from the afore mentioned house holder who said that their living room carpet was ruined because their was sparks coming off the coal, a long investigation ensued where tests were done on the coal only to transpire that they had been welding in the sitting room and were trying to get compensation for their carpet from the coal yardOh that is so funny, im like to kill myself laughing here.:D :D

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:20
a friend of mine's father worked for the trading standards years ago and had a complaint from the afore mentioned house holder who said that their living room carpet was ruined because their was sparks coming off the coal, a long investigation ensued where tests were done on the coal only to transpire that they had been welding in the sitting room and were trying to get compensation for their carpet from the coal yard

you know about the horse to then.

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:21
She used to keep the hamsters in the bath did'nt she, think they stopped her from keeping animals.

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:21
Poor Dirdyweeker, he only asked the name of the horse, i hope he has a laugh reading through this though:)

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:22
no, back of the whisky distillery, was there a little sarcasim im missing in that post?
No the lady with the horse in the house.

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:22
the mentioned ones about the horse in the house they were great for "my cooker blew up" always claiming something.

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:23
No the lady with the horse in the house.

Ackergill street

star
07-Jan-06, 02:23
you know about the horse to then.

yes, never heard what became of the poor creature tho

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:25
yes, never heard what became of the poor creature tho

I would'nt like to think, ive a few suggestions but better no mention them.

unicorn
07-Jan-06, 02:26
how on earth did they get it in the house and up the stairs??????

angela5
07-Jan-06, 02:27
how on earth did they get it in the house and up the stairs??????

i'll say the same as above unicorn.

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:29
Probably the same way we get throught the front door with a big push

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:43
She used to keep the hamsters in the bath did'nt she, think they stopped her from keeping animals.Hamsters in the bath, honestly i'm rolling about in tears here. Didnt they use the bath themselves then?:D :)

ice box
07-Jan-06, 02:46
Hamsters in the bath, honestly i'm rolling about in tears here. Didnt they use the bath themselves then?:D :)
No you should of smelt them..... lol

connieb19
07-Jan-06, 02:49
No you should of smelt them..... lolDidn't everyone keep something in the bath? We kept frogs...LOL

philupmaboug
07-Jan-06, 15:59
You are right pooh pooh, it was Ackergill Street, at the top beside the drome road and they kept the coal in the bath so that no one could steel it, was it MM or was that his niebour?

dirdyweeker
07-Jan-06, 20:15
Yes , the question has obviously triggered a few more animal/horse stories. What a laugh!I too remember well the horse in the upstairs room! It was in the house on the road to the airport. And, the story about the smell from the horse was just as I heard it long ago. SO....are we sticking with Polly for Alex Mathieson's horse?

peedie man
07-Jan-06, 20:35
im sure it was polly there is a photo of them in the book ..once upon a time in caithness.......taken in 1991

Bill Fernie
07-Jan-06, 20:56
Here is photo of Alex Matheson and his horse just sent in
Compliments of Erring Queen
http://www.caithness.org/earlypictures/photogallery/photos.htm?0?11

sids
07-Jan-06, 23:12
Here is photo of Alex Matheson and his horse just sent in
Compliments of Erring Queen
http://www.caithness.org/earlypictures/photogallery/photos.htm?0?11

That's them all right. I got a sail on the horse lorry long ago.

peter macdonald
08-Jan-06, 00:26
The horse Alec had about the early 60s was called Polly Alec was a perfect gentleman he flitted us out of the backside to dunbar street in 1960 and the cost was 7/6d That was for the whole household furniture
At the time Martins were delivering milk with a white horse and cart but cant remember what the horse was called?

dirdyweeker
08-Jan-06, 00:30
what a great response AND a picture even! You can always rely on caithness.org forum to find out info for you . What a team. Thank you all....think I'll go for Polly.

Fran
08-Jan-06, 03:22
Talking of funny stories, do you remember the Lybster family about 20 years who demanded another house claiming there was a horse running down their stairs with fire coming out of his nostrils etc etc.

ice box
08-Jan-06, 03:36
Talking of funny stories, do you remember the Lybster family about 20 years who demanded another house claiming there was a horse running down their stairs with fire coming out of his nostrils etc etc.
No but you have to tell us that one .

philupmaboug
08-Jan-06, 03:44
They still have that in Lybster but they are burning a different kind of peat in thier fires to get the result!

angela5
08-Jan-06, 15:32

Don't they still live there fran, i'm sure they had an exorcize done on the house.:eek:

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 15:57
Don't they still live there fran, i'm sure they had an exorcize done on the house.:eek:Have you heard about this too pooh pooh? Tell us more!!

Chillie
08-Jan-06, 17:48
I thought this post was about finding a name about the poor horse, but never mind all the stories were a laugh so keep em going, any way back to the the poor old horse's name after all my pull outs we a dram here there and every where i can tell you the story of the horse called dick.

Dick was the last horse owned by alex'ie matt (fact) black clydesdale horse with a white maine, stabled in Rutherford Street and alex'ie lived in Albert Street.
His father William Matheson haulage contractor and undertaker had 2 grey mares, which pulled a dray 1 of the grey horses was known to be called Polly,Other horses name is still to be found out.His stable was originally in Ducksie.
Alex'ie had 3 horses that we know of after his father passed on. Mary, Ruby and finally dick.
Why would anyone want to call a male horse Polly?

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 17:54
I thought this post was about finding a name about the poor horse, but never mind all the stories were a laugh so keep em going, any way back to the the poor old horse's name after all my pull outs we a dram here there and every where i can tell you the story of the horse called dick.

Dick was the last horse owned by alex'ie matt (fact) black clydesdale horse with a white maine, stabled in Rutherford Street and alex'ie lived in Albert Street.
His father William Matheson haulage contractor and undertaker had 2 grey mares, which pulled a dray 1 of the grey horses was known to be called Polly,Other horses name is still to be found out.His stable was originally in Ducksie.
Alex'ie had 3 horses that we know of after his father Mary,Ruby and finally dick.
Why would anyone want to call a male horse Polly?With a father called mary anythings possible..LOL:)

Chillie
08-Jan-06, 18:03
With a father called mary anythings possible..LOL:)
Connie, i could of sworn William was his fathers name if you are sure he was called Mary then maybe alex decided to name his horse after him.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 20:24
Connie, i could of sworn William was his fathers name if you are sure he was called Mary then maybe alex decided to name his horse after him.

Seems we've switched from the horses name to the fathers lol.:confused:

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 20:25
Seems we've switched from the horses name to the fathers lol.:confused:Read it and you'll see what I mean!!LOL:D

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:11
Read it and you'll see what I mean!!LOL:D

Doh!! i see what you mean now.

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 21:14

Alex'ie had 3 horses that we know of after his father passed on. Mary, Ruby and finally dick.
Why would anyone want to call a male horse Polly?why not call a male horse polly? iv got a male parrot called polly

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 21:15
why not call a male horse polly? iv got a male parrot called pollyand a pet mouse called dobbin

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:16
why not call a male horse polly? iv got a male parrot called polly

When my son was a baby i called him dolly..:p

TopCatsPurr
12-Jan-06, 23:47
He had a horse called Donald and there was a Donald 2 aswell wasnt there???

Fran
13-Jan-06, 01:25
you can read about her in the groat and P&J tomorrow!!!

angela5
13-Jan-06, 01:26
you can read about her in the groat and P&J tomorrow!!!

have you got the groat early fran????????and now posting that you expect me to go to sleep! lol

dirdyweeker
13-Jan-06, 22:35
Seemingly.....the horse from 1947 was called Jock! The names keep growing.

willowbankbear
16-Jan-06, 17:03
you can read about her in the groat and P&J tomorrow!!!I went to sea with her estranged husband, im not saying he was minging but he had a trip off & the guy who replaced him went into his bunk at night, the other deckie who was aboard said to him" ye`ll go in ere alone ma boy, but ye`ll come oot wi ithers".The spare seemed to take it to heart because when he climbed oot the bunk he`d scratched himself raw.
When the said person first started with us, he wanted to be cook!
A unanimous Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
way jose.