PDA

View Full Version : Twelfth Night

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 21:49
When is Twelfth Night? Is it tonight or tomorrow night?

moose and Lindsay
05-Jan-06, 21:51
I think it is tonight as it is the 5th, 12 days after christmas!!

ice box
05-Jan-06, 21:52
If you are on about when the decorations come down its the 6th i think if that what you mean.

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 22:02
You are right, decorations are the reason. I'm never certain if they should come down after tonight or after tomorrow night.

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 22:06
You are right, decorations are the reason. I'm never certain if they should come down after tonight or after tomorrow night.And here I was, in a panic to get them down last night!!

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 22:21
Hope you didn't, connieb, it,s supposed to be bad luck to take them down at the wrong time. :eek:

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 22:23
Hope you didn't, connieb, it,s supposed to be bad luck to take them down at the wrong time. :eek:Oh no...dont tell me that. I thought I was late in taking them down too..EEk! what will i do?

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 22:44
I'd risk the bad luck, connieb. I certainly wouldn't put them back up just to take them down at the right time.
The original superstition was that you should take the decorations down down and burn them as well.
Each Christmas you should get new ones to put up, but I don't know anybody who goes that far nowadays. I certainly don't.

lassieinfife
05-Jan-06, 23:32
its all superstition . i have always taken my decorations down early . no harm has ever befallen me

moose and Lindsay
06-Jan-06, 00:13
I just heard on the telly tonight is the 12th night and u take your decorations down tomorrow morning!!

angela5
06-Jan-06, 01:00
I just heard on the telly tonight is the 12th night and u take your decorations down tomorrow morning!!

On moray firth radio today they said ' we have until midnight friday to take our decorations down or we will face bad luck'.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 01:03
On moray firth radio today they said ' we have until midnight friday to take our decorations down or we will face bad luck'.Aw, im vexed I took mine down last night now. I was late in putting them up because I didn't feel in the Christmas mood, then, when I did, it was no sooner and they were down again!! I thought they had to be down yesterday!!:confused:

phoenix
06-Jan-06, 20:44
I took mines down on the 3rd ooohhhhaaarrrgghhhh but I cleansed them all as I did it so as not to put up the xmas past mood next year {biting my nails wondering what fates going to befall me in the year 2006} Oh well if something bad happens Ill know what to blame it on..........come to think of it weve had two lots of bad news since the 3rd............surely it cant be because I took the decorations down early {biting my nails yet again}............. load of codswallop. Bad things happen all the year round......thats life:}

Moira
07-Jan-06, 03:40
I understood you had to take the decorations down before midnight on the 12th day of Christmas (counting Christmas Day as the first day) - to miss the bad luck. By my calculation this would be the 5th Jan - at the latest. I've never heard of bad luck ensuing if you take the decos down early. No matter now - mine were down on the 4th - & the tree put out for the bin-men to collect on the 5th. Everyone else in our street had the same idea - so I'll not be the only one around here to be having bad luck this year then ;)

JAWS
07-Jan-06, 04:27
But if you belong to the Orthodox Church then it's Christmas Day today.
Shh! Don't tell the kids! :eek:

Gleber2
07-Jan-06, 05:05
Also known as the old NewYear I believe, and still celebrated in some places if you need an excuse to get legless.