PDA

View Full Version : Bang out of order

ice box
05-Jan-06, 21:08
I've just had a pm from a trusted member saying iam bang out of order . For my coment on local traders .
Why dont you enlighten me ?
And why am i bang out of order ?

willowbankbear
05-Jan-06, 21:32
I dont think yer out of order,just giving yer opinion. After all this is what this board is for!
I quite agree with ye there ice box, some folk eh?:p

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 21:33
the staff don't just stand there and chat if they do they are helping their customers

unicorn
05-Jan-06, 21:34
We could definately start a poll on this subject :)

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 21:35
I've just had a pm from a trusted member saying iam bang out of order . For my coment on local traders .
And why am i bang out of order ?I don't think you said anything out of order icebox. Theres a lot worse than what you said and why didn't they just reply to your post, giving their opinion?

ice box
05-Jan-06, 21:42
the staff don't just stand there and chat if they do they are helping their customers
So when do the staff get to take customer to the store room ?

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 21:52
am not sure

Chillie
05-Jan-06, 22:41
I live in Wick but when in Thurso I often stop at that shop in spring park and also think the staff are unfriendly and never smile, they think they are doing you a favour for being in there. Well said ice box and unicorn , i think you are out of order Mr p Cannop.

Mr P Cannop
06-Jan-06, 00:14
I live in Wick but when in Thurso I often stop at that shop in spring park and also think the staff are unfriendly and never smile, they think they are doing you a favour for being in there. Well said ice box and unicorn , i think you are out of order Mr p Cannop.

i work in the co-op in spring park

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 00:21
Hold on a minute..The post where Mr P Cannop said icebox was out of order seems to have dissapeared. How can that be?:confused:

unicorn
06-Jan-06, 00:24
It was in the other topic about lunch times connie..

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 00:25
It was in the other topic about lunch times connie..OOPS, sorry....

Loafer
06-Jan-06, 00:29
In my opinion, the Co-op in Springpark rates as one of the worst shops I have EVER been in, and I can tell you I have been in some crackers in Glasgow over the years.

What makes it sadder for me is that I used to work there as a yowng loon 20 years ago (pre-Co-op days) and I prided myself on being friendly with customers. To this day people say they remember me "from Equal's shoppie in Springpark"

Now all you get are snarls and grunts!!!

The Loafer

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 00:42
In my opinion, the Co-op in Springpark rates as one of the worst shops I have EVER been in, and I can tell you I have been in some crackers in Glasgow over the years.

What makes it sadder for me is that I used to work there as a yowng loon 20 years ago (pre-Co-op days) and I prided myself on being friendly with customers. To this day people say they remember me "from Equal's shoppie in Springpark"

Now all you get are snarls and grunts!!!

The LoaferMay be the staff should be better trained to start with. But then you shouldn't need training to be polite and give a friendly smile.
I always find that even if you smile at someone in the passing and say hello, sometimes they look at you as if you are mad but if they smile back it brightens up the day and usually makes you smile at the next person you see.
Maybe thee shop assistants should try it one day and see.

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 02:53
May be the staff should be better trained to start with. But then you shouldn't need training to be polite and give a friendly smile.
I always find that even if you smile at someone in the passing and say hello, sometimes they look at you as if you are mad but if they smile back it brightens up the day and usually makes you smile at the next person you see.
Maybe thee shop assistants should try it one day and see.

How very true Connie!!!

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 02:59
How very true Connie!!!I always remember the saying" if you see someone without a smile give them one of yours". I wish more people would remember it!!:D

ice box
06-Jan-06, 03:06
It dosent cost to be polite thats what i say if they dont speak the first then dont speak at all .

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 08:58
Having worked in reatail a number of years ago it was amazing to me how even the most awkward of situations could be handled with a smile.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 09:02
I've also worked in retail and it does'nt cost to be polite and smile, treat others how you would expect to be treated yourself.

stevie080
06-Jan-06, 11:30
I used to live near there and shopped in there quite alot it was never that good a place to go for friendly custom. When the co op took over I thought things would change but its just as bad as ever. Yes I have been there when ques are forming and one worker just stood there gazing off into space, or gossiping to others and at lunchtimes it was awfull. I know other shops are bad but that one was always just bad service.
Maybe a poll on what people think of it would be a good idea!

golach
06-Jan-06, 11:45
I have just finished a casual Xmas job with Asda and whilst being trained a big emphasis was put on making eye contact with all customers and even just saying hello, to me this is good manners, but in todays age how many practice "Good Manners".
I also earlier in the year was employed by Sainsburys, and their training instructions were exactly the same as Asda's.
If I ever shopped in the afore mentioned shop I would be complaining to the Co-op management, not at the local shop but to the Co-op headquarters

whooshjohnny
06-Jan-06, 12:39
I was in the COOP Welcome shop in spring park a couple of months ago where a gut was in front of me in the queue with a basket full of shopping, after ringing through all the shopping he went to pay using his card, the machine took ages (around 10 mins) doing not much, the guy then said to the assistant "is there a problem with my card" then the assistant said "no the machine is just slow tonight" then another 5 or so mins passed when the guy said "look just forget it I am in a bit of a rush and need to go" the assistant then told him that he would have to return the items to the shelf.
To which he replied F OFF and he then left.

The staff in the COOP shop are awful and should all be fired right away the go lightly's that were in the shop before were bad but these guys are much worse...

jjc
06-Jan-06, 14:32
...a gut was in front of me in the queue with a basket full of shopping.
Now come on, the guy may have been a little overweight, but there's really no need for that ;)

whooshjohnny
06-Jan-06, 15:24
Yes well done the old typo curse has struck me again

stevie080
06-Jan-06, 15:46
I may just be petty but what used to really annoy me in there was there were certain people that when you are paying for your goods they put their hand out to take your money which they then rang up, then when you put your hand out to get your change they just put it down on the counter that just really used to wind me up as i see it as really bad service if they want the money in their hand they should at least be expected to do the same and return it to your own hand.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 15:53
I may just be petty but what used to really annoy me in there was there were certain people that when you are paying for your goods they put their hand out to take your money which they then rang up, then when you put your hand out to get your change they just put it down on the counter that just really used to wind me up as i see it as really bad service if they want the money in their hand they should at least be expected to do the same and return it to your own hand.Yes, that really annoys me too. Whats morse than that though,Is I was in the 99p shop one day and the staf were arguing over who was going to serve me and cursing and tutting over it. Then when someone did serve they just carried on arguing at the same time as serving me. Needless to say, I've never been back since.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 15:57
I have'nt had a smile off the staff :( i got fed up going in there i find them arrogant, i've stood there waiting to be served and had to listen to their gossip. And its true the change does'nt get put into your hand it gets dumped on the counter.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 16:12
Well I've been trying to think of somewhere where the service is good. I can only come up with two at the moment. One is in Graham Beggs, I always find them very helpful. I went to the Hydro Electric one day to buy a cooker, I picked up a brochure and as there was no prices in it I asked if she could check them and write them down for me. She told me I would have to pick which one I was wanting because she couldn't be bothered to check them all. I said I wanted a look at the prices first and she told me I'd be better going to argos, so I went to Graham Beggs instead.
The other place where you get good service is in the cafe above the harbour chip shop. The ladies are always friendly and would go out their way to get you what you want!!
The shop owners should realise that people hardly ever speak about the good service they get but always talk about it if it's bad service!!

crashbandicoot1979
06-Jan-06, 16:19
In Thurso, most of the staff in semi-chem are really nice - they always smile and they're really polite. And I agree that the staff in Graham Beggs are very helpful. When it comes to shops closing at lunch time, Souters has got to be one of the worst. Come 1.00, you're practically thown out the door. And theres one woman who glares at you until you leave. Needless to say I never shop there now.

Also, I live in Thurso but I much prefer the shops in Wick. The staff are far friendlier and the crack with them is always much better.

carasmam
06-Jan-06, 16:33
:( I find it quite intimidating going into the 99p shop in Wick. The staff all seem very bolshie and in your face, always shouting the odds to each other and quite grim when they do get round to serving you.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 16:37
:( I find it quite intimidating going into the 99p shop in Wick. The staff all seem very bolshie and in your face, always shouting the odds to each other and quite grim when they do get round to serving you.Tell me about it..I was glad to get out the door in one piece!!

MsMe
06-Jan-06, 16:50
I have found the people in the coop in wick to have very bad manners. one lady sat and argued with me saying i had to double my bag when it didn't need it. She started shouting at me saying i wouldn't get refunded if the bags were to brake when they were hardly heavy at all!!!
Then another time i went to buy a dvd player and another checkout person in wick told me to fill out a bit of paper to do with a tv lience and i questioned why as i was buying a dvd and not a tv and she said "well you wouldn't have to worry if you had a tv lience" - making out i never had one and i only asked her why i had to fill out a form with all my details when buying a DVD!!!

Then the coop in springpark a couple of days later asked me for proof of id to buy fags when i am clearly over 16 and whats more the person serving me looked just 16!!!!!

the main coop in thurso are not much better for manners either i have found

Chillie
06-Jan-06, 16:56
99p in wick shop staff throw you out to close the shop at 11.00am for tea break for 20 mins then at lunch time for 45mins then bang on 5.00 the tell you they are shutting so as if to say get out.
Another shop in wick is shearers DIY shop what a waste of space cant get any wood, glass when needed ,you have to wait till next day price's well need a bank loan, need i go on people of wick have been let down by some shops badly, so now we will be glad for the new brooms that will sweep clean, and get rid of all the old cob webs.:rolleyes:

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 17:02
99p in wick shop staff throw you out to close the shop at 11.00am for tea break for 20 mins then at lunch time for 45mins then bang on 5.00 the tell you they are shutting so as if to say get out.
Another shop in wick is shearers DIY shop what a waste of space cant get any wood, glass when needed ,you have to wait till next day price's well need a bank loan, need i go on people of wick have been let down by some shops badly, so now we will be glad for the new brooms that will sweep clean, and get rid of all the old cob webs.:rolleyes:Yor not serious are you..They shut the shop for a tea break, and lunch. Thats terrible!! There's something wrong there. Have you seen the amount of staff lingering about?

angela5
06-Jan-06, 17:15
:( I find it quite intimidating going into the 99p shop in Wick. The staff all seem very bolshie and in your face, always shouting the odds to each other and quite grim when they do get round to serving you.

I went in there once, never again...shocked at the amount of staff walking around swearing..talking about their sex life...who's putting the kettle on..they are so loud, unfriendly and down right scruffy.
Semi-chem is a little better but i hate looking at the perfume the girl behind the checkout just stares at you...does she think you have extending arms,lol.
Boots is my favourite for buying perfume they are so friendly in there.

paris
06-Jan-06, 17:23
cant remember the name of the shop, but its up past wolworths in wick towards the little steep hill. anyway the man in there sells bedding/curtains ect. he was so helpful when i was after curtains, and a few weeks later even phoned me at home to say he had some cheap curtains that had just come in and if i was interested to go and see him. the service was 1st class.

krieve
06-Jan-06, 17:29
cant remember the name of the shop, but its up past wolworths in wick towards the little steep hill. anyway the man in there sells bedding/curtains ect. he was so helpful when i was after curtains, and a few weeks later even phoned me at home to say he had some cheap curtains that had just come in and if i was interested to go and see him. the service was 1st class.
That shop is called fairway and the man is very helpful and friendly.

katarina
06-Jan-06, 17:38
I always find the checkout girls in somerfield in wick friendly and cheerful.

Chillie
06-Jan-06, 17:38
That shop is called fairway and the man is very helpful and friendly.

Yes Fairways and he is called Ernie Adams a real gentlemen he was in Fred Shearers for years before starting on his own.

EDDIE
06-Jan-06, 17:50
And why am i bang out of order ?

That person was wrong to email you about your comments on this board if that person has a problem with your views they should address it on the same thread that your commenting on.
The whole idea of a message board is so we can all start of a topic and give opinions on the subject whether there good or bad.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 17:52
I have shopped in Fairways for many years and have often got a good bargain.This is the first time I have come to know he name of the gentleman I am ashamed to say as he is always friendly and polite and if he has not got it he will try and get it for you.I dont mind waiting for an order especialy after he has done his most to be helpfull to you.I used to work with a lady who also used to work in Fred Shearers and now that I think of it she was also friendly helpfull and polite to all customers maybe staff training was different then.

unicorn
06-Jan-06, 18:43
I love going to Mackays grocers in Thurso the shop is brilliant and the staff go out of their way to help you.

shrek_donkey
06-Jan-06, 20:07
Cant wait till home base ond tesco get going far cheaper and more selection to choose from and hopefuly better manners we can only pray.

Fluff
06-Jan-06, 20:25
I lived in springpark for quite a while, and i remember when the coop welcome was a mae, then a spar, then the one after (forgot its name)
it did not seem to matter who owned it, even as a little girl i rememberthe service being awful and rubbish customer service.
Guess the place has a bad vibe to it....

EDDIE
06-Jan-06, 20:28
I just hope that the local traders are reading this posts so they now how there customers feel

angela5
06-Jan-06, 22:19
Cant wait till home base ond tesco get going far cheaper and more selection to choose from and hopefuly better manners we can only pray.

Shopping in homebase on a sunday..can't wait, there is nothing more annoying if your doing DIY and you find you need something..it's tough you need to wait to Monday..Grrr.
Roll on....Roll on.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 23:42
I have found the people in the coop in wick to have very bad manners. one lady sat and argued with me saying i had to double my bag when it didn't need it. She started shouting at me saying i wouldn't get refunded if the bags were to brake when they were hardly heavy at all!!!
Then another time i went to buy a dvd player and another checkout person in wick told me to fill out a bit of paper to do with a tv lience and i questioned why as i was buying a dvd and not a tv and she said "well you wouldn't have to worry if you had a tv lience" - making out i never had one and i only asked her why i had to fill out a form with all my details when buying a DVD!!!

Then the coop in springpark a couple of days later asked me for proof of id to buy fags when i am clearly over 16 and whats more the person serving me looked just 16!!!!!

the main coop in thurso are not much better for manners either i have found

You were lucky you were asked for proof to purchase fags I was in meiklejohns in thusro rd when a 2 school kids came in and asked for 20 regal king size, no questions asked the assistant served them.
They were clearly not 16, some places is all about making a fast buck.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 23:50
You were lucky you were asked for proof to purchase fags I was in meiklejohns in thusro rd when a 2 school kids came in and asked for 20 regal king size, no questions asked the assistant served them.
They were clearly not 16, some places is all about making a fast buck.You can't get near that place in the morning for schoolkids buying their fags. I've never seen one yet asked for proof!!

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 23:58
I agree there ,I have been in that shop on loads of occassions and kids have been sold their fags without a single question being asked and they are so obviously not sixteen.

Mr P Cannop
08-Jan-06, 08:57
You can't get near that place in the morning for schoolkids buying their fags. I've never seen one yet asked for proof!!

does the assistant know that he/she can be fined ?? for serving fags to any one under 16

JAWS
08-Jan-06, 09:37
School kids buying cigarettes, I can't believe that. You mean they don't just steal them nowadays?

EDDIE
08-Jan-06, 10:24
does the assistant know that he/she can be fined ?? for serving fags to any one under 16
Well im a smoker and I know full well how addictive it is and that assistant should be ashamed of themselves.The assistant must think she or he is doing the kids a favour but all he or she is doing is ruing there lifes and giveing the kids addiction problem which is hard to overcome.
Fined? the assistant should be reported to the police and sacked

Karaoke Queen
08-Jan-06, 10:43
I agree but I doubt anything will ever get done about this. Its like dog mess, no one is getting caught and fined so its still going on.

Anyone want to pm me the name or names of the shop workers selling these young kids cigarettes. I'll certainly report it!

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 11:20
I reported a shopkeeper for selling fags to kids one day as it led on to another incident which directly affected my kids non smokers but the children who bought the fags went to the village park where my kids were and kicked of at them .The police took all the details and asked me if I wanted them to speak to the shopkeeper.I am sure if someone reported a drunk driver to the police they would ask if they wanted them to be spoken to about it.As it is I never heard any more from them ,thankfully the shop has closed so that is one place the kids wont be buying their fags.(average age of kids involved 10) obviously not sixteen.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 11:30
I agree but I doubt anything will ever get done about this. Its like dog mess, no one is getting caught and fined so its still going on.

Anyone want to pm me the name or names of the shop workers selling these young kids cigarettes. I'll certainly report it!

You only need to be passing that shop at 9am to see all the kids opening there just bought fags, lunchtime aswell.
Then you can see the assistant serving.

skydivvy
08-Jan-06, 11:30
I spoke to a shopkeeper about his practice of opening packets and selling cigarettes one or two at a time to school kids, one of whom was my son and he was only eleven. When it was evident that my complaints had been ignored, I went to the police, nothing was ever done about it.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 11:33
I spoke to a shopkeeper about his practice of opening packets and selling cigarettes one or two at a time to school kids, one of whom was my son and he was only eleven. When it was evident that my complaints had been ignored, I went to the police, nothing was ever done about it.

That's just typical not much is done about anything these days.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 11:37
I spoke to a shopkeeper about his practice of opening packets and selling cigarettes one or two at a time to school kids, one of whom was my son and he was only eleven. When it was evident that my complaints had been ignored, I went to the police, nothing was ever done about it.Obviously the police don't take this seriously, which is a disgrace as we are all aware of the effects of smoking. People shouldn't need to report it as it is done so openly for everyone to see!! Maybe is a couple of shop assistants were taken to court and fined it would have some effect!!

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 11:46
It looks like as long as the cash is going into the till no one is bothered and the police obviously treat this as trivial and a waste of time. Why have the rule if its not going to be enforced....it would only take a couple of prosecutions to get the message over its not acceptable.

Karaoke Queen
08-Jan-06, 11:54
Hmmmmm Do you think the owner is aware of whats going on?

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 11:56
Definately

shrek_donkey
08-Jan-06, 12:27
I was in a shop one day and 2 kids came in and asked for cider and fags and the lady was going to sell them it. Until i told her that they were 15 they were not happy hehe.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 12:31
Hmmmmm Do you think the owner is aware of whats going on?They,re bound to be aware of this. The shop is on route to the school and they know how many fags they sell. I would say that between the owners and the staff are as bad as each other. If I worked in a shop like this I wouldn't sell fags to kids whether the owners liked it or not!! They are all aware it is illegal and the effects it causes.:(

angela5
08-Jan-06, 12:33
Hmmmmm Do you think the owner is aware of whats going on?

You can be sure of that, is the assistant really bothered how much the till rings in as long as they get their pay packet.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 12:39
You can be sure of that, is the assistant really bothered how much the till rings in as long as they get their pay packet.But its not like the shop assistant sees the profits. they still get the same pay no matter how many fags are sold, so why do it? Maybe you can understand the owners might do it out of greed though!!

angela5
08-Jan-06, 12:51
But its not like the shop assistant sees the profits. they still get the same pay no matter how many fags are sold, so why do it? Maybe you can understand the owners might do it out of greed though!!

99% of the time the owners are aware:eek: most of the staff don't care.

most assistants dont care if shops have rules they are only interested in their pay packet so if the owner said "you can sell fags to the school kids as long as your carefull not to be seen" do they care, are they thinking about the consequence, no all they view in their eyes is wage packet.

It's the same in places that serve food you find the younger staff that is employed don't care how the food is presented they are thinking about their wage packet.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 13:02
99% of the time the owners are aware:eek: most of the staff don't care.

most assistants dont care if shops have rules they are only interested in their pay packet so if the owner said "you can sell fags to the school kids as long as your carefull not to be seen" do they care, are they thinking about the consequence, no all they view in their eyes is wage packet.

It's the same in places that serve food you find the younger staff that is employed don't care how the food is presented they are thinking about their wage packet.But why break the law to line your employers pockets? If caught its not the employer who gets done, its whoever sells the fags. You don't see this happening so often with alcohol bacause people know they will definately be prosecuted but it seems to be that its okay with fags!!

krieve
08-Jan-06, 13:32
But why break the law to line your employers pockets? If caught its not the employer who gets done, its whoever sells the fags. You don't see this happening so often with alcohol bacause people know they will definately be prosecuted but it seems to be that its okay with fags!!
Well said connie

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-06, 18:18
I worked part time in a local newsagents for a short time,one day kids came in asking for fags and knowing they were nowhere near 16 I refused to sell them.Off they went without a noise ten minutes later they were back....okay then ,said one, sell me a paket of matches on this he produced his fags obviously bought elsewhere...... 'if your so smart go back to where you bought the fags' said I and with loads of verbal they left.They were determined to get fags and there was others willing to sell them like you say connie I didnt want to be charged for selling fags to under age kids others obviously dont mind.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:21
Someone mentioned back a few posts about selling single fags.. my niece was telling me today you can buy single fags from john's ices outside the high school at lunch-time for 40p.

Saveman
08-Jan-06, 21:22
Someone mentioned back a few posts about selling single fags.. my niece was telling me today you can buy single fags from john's ices outside the high school at lunch-time for 40p.

Thats incredible. How do they get away with that?

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 21:24
Someone mentioned back a few posts about selling single fags.. my niece was telling me today you can buy single fags from john's ices outside the high school at lunch-time for 40p.No way, that is well out of order..he should be banned from trading..that is AWFUL:(

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:26
No way, that is well out of order..he should be banned from trading..that is AWFUL:(

Exactly connie i've never heard the like..an ice-cream van of all things.

ice box
08-Jan-06, 21:29
I mind when i young that we could buy single fag from that ice cream van caithness ices that was by charlie platt they were 10 p then i see they have gone up in price since then ..lol

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:32
I mind when i young that we could buy single fag from that ice cream van caithness ices that was by charlie platt they were 10 p then i see they have gone up in price since then ..lol

That was denny platt that worked on that van.. i don't care about the price that is an utter disgrace to sell fags to young kids.. another one looking to make a fast buck.

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 21:34
Someone mentioned back a few posts about selling single fags.. my niece was telling me today you can buy single fags from john's ices outside the high school at lunch-time for 40p.The thought of this is making me really angry.. I wonder how many parents know this is going on?:mad:

ice box
08-Jan-06, 21:41
Well connie probably a lot know whats going on but you know what kids are like in this day and age they just say ( I i what ever ).

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 21:42
maybe the shop assistants just sell them to kids to get them away from shop as quick as poss, otherwise they hang about outside pestering customers to buy them for them.not to mention the cheek they give and the amount of spit they leave behind.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:45
The thought of this is making me really angry.. I wonder how many parents know this is going on?:mad:

There is a few who dont seem to care what their kids are doing..makes my blood boil. i need to know everthing my kids are doing..thankfully they dont go out much.

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 21:47
There is a few who dont seem to care what their kids are doing..makes my blood boil. i need to know everthing my kids are doing..thankfully they dont go out much.well,not without the paper bags at least

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 21:49
There is a few who dont seem to care what their kids are doing..makes my blood boil. i need to know everthing my kids are doing..thankfully they dont go out much.I don't think you can blame anybody here except the bloke with the ice cream van. I dont really think many parents would expect this to be going on outside the school and especially from an ice cream van. The rector or some teachers are bound to have heard wind of this though!!

angela5
08-Jan-06, 21:50
I don't think you can blame anybody here except the bloke with the ice cream van. I dont really think many parents would expect this to be going on outside the school and especially from an ice cream van. The rector or some teachers are bound to have heard wind of this though!!

You would of thought so i hope their not turning a blind eye to this.

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 21:52
I don't think you can blame anybody here except the bloke with the ice cream van. I dont really think many parents would expect this to be going on outside the school and especially from an ice cream van. The rector or some teachers are bound to have heard wind of this though!!the rector does know about it and he is trying to get something done about it,he already has spoken to the ice cream man about reducing the price of his fags as most of the kids who smoke come from poor families

ice box
08-Jan-06, 22:02
the rector does know about it and he is trying to get something done about it,he already has spoken to the ice cream man about reducing the price of his fags as most of the kids who smoke come from poor families
Then they should bring back denny platt he sell them for 10p he will soon get rid of john ices lol

melted_wellie
08-Jan-06, 22:04
Then they should bring back denny platt he sell them for 10p he will soon get rid of john ices lolaye but are they tipped,for 10p it will be a rollie,i reckon 20p is a fair price to pay

ice box
08-Jan-06, 22:14
Hi just trying to mind who funded caithness ice as it wasn't the the platts doe's any one know ?

Thanks

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:15
They were clearly not 16, some places is all about making a fast buck.

It now seems this shop is for sale..well lets hope who ever buys it has a strict policy on selling fags to underagers.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:17
Hi just trying to mind who funded caithness ice as it wasn't the the platts doe's any one know ?

Thanks

I'm not sure ice-box, i wonder who owned the burger van they ran in the 80's how that van was allowed to sell food i'll never know.:eek:

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 22:17
It now seems this shop is for sale..well lets hope who ever buys it has a strict policy on selling fags to underagers.Thats funny because i heard a rumor that the Platts are buying it...and the tearooms!!:confused:

ice box
08-Jan-06, 22:18
I heard the platts were interested buy it .

ice box
08-Jan-06, 22:20
Did that van not get burnt down ?

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:21
Thats funny because i heard a rumor that the Platts are buying it...and the tearooms!!:confused:

Well that would continue this disgraceful sealing of fags to children..
I certainly wont be visiting the tearooms:eek:

connieb19
08-Jan-06, 22:23
Did that van not get burnt down ?was it that van..I can't remember?

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:23
Did that van not get burnt down ?

Did it?? are you not thinking about the one in north murchision street that was set alight a few years ago.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:25
no. i remember that van was for sale, i heard someone from Glasgow bought it, i just hope it did not start another ice-cream war.

ice box
08-Jan-06, 22:26
That was andy mcphee van .

scrapydoo
08-Jan-06, 22:57
Then they should bring back denny platt he sell them for 10p he will soon get rid of john ices lol
Dont take this the wrong way i my be wrong but was that the same platt that was blamed for burning down the dominos ?

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:58
That was andy mcphee van .

Which one?? the burnt out one or the sold one.

angela5
08-Jan-06, 22:59
Dont take this the wrong way i my be wrong but was that the same platt that was blamed for burning down the dominos ?

I don't think it was burnt down, was'nt it the bands equipment that caught fire?

scrapydoo
08-Jan-06, 23:04
Thats not what i heard but iam new to the area well i say new iv'e been here a few years iv'e heard a few stories but wouldn't want to repeat any ...

Loafer
08-Jan-06, 23:16

I remember when you could buy a single fag from Danny Craigs ice cream shop for 5p, can't remember what they were but were called the "cheap mans Benson & Hedges"!!

Then it was outside the school from Tam's Ices for 10p and 1p for a match!!

The Loafer

angela5
08-Jan-06, 23:20
I remember when you could buy a single fag from Danny Craigs ice cream shop for 5p, can't remember what they were but were called the "cheap mans Benson & Hedges"!!

Then it was outside the school from Tam's Ices for 10p and 1p for a match!!

The Loafer

seems there all at it, there used to be a shop called carter's around the corner from Wick High School they too were 10p a fag,, they've all been getting away with it too long.

Rheghead
08-Jan-06, 23:21
"cheap mans Benson & Hedges"!!

Them'll be Lambert and Butler?

Doolally
08-Jan-06, 23:25
seems there all at it, there used to be a shop called carter's around the corner from Wick High School they too were 10p a fag,, they've all been getting away with it too long.

They closed years ago though. Attitudes have changed since then.

scrapydoo
08-Jan-06, 23:25
I dont think carters did sell them cause we used to try them and kept getting thrown out the shop by bobbins lol

angela5
09-Jan-06, 13:52
They closed years ago though. Attitudes have changed since then.

is danny craigs shop still up and running then? 10p a fag.
is caithness ices still up and running then? 10p a fag.

Regardless or not that carters shop has been closed years ago the point is fags was still available for 10p each.
Now it seems 1 or 2 are selling them for 40p.

Who's attitude has changed since then, towards the danger of smoking YES.

Mindless shop keepers selling them, NO.

angela5
09-Jan-06, 13:53
I dont think carters did sell them cause we used to try them and kept getting thrown out the shop by bobbins lol

You are possibly a little younger than i am, but some kids i was at school with certainly purchased their fags from here.

katarina
09-Jan-06, 17:30
I don't think it was burnt down, was'nt it the bands equipment that caught fire?

Trust me - the whole place was burnt down, and the young band lost all their equipment

connieb19
09-Jan-06, 18:08
Trust me - the whole place was burnt down, and the young band lost all their equipmentWhat a shame..I hope it was covered by insurance!!

shrek_donkey
09-Jan-06, 18:17
What a shame..I hope it was covered by insurance!!
I am sure they would have been covered by insurance

Chillie
09-Jan-06, 19:07
Thats not what i heard but iam new to the area well i say new iv'e been here a few years iv'e heard a few stories but wouldn't want to repeat any ...

How new to the area ! by your saying you have only been here a few years well on a further post you can remembers carters then bobbins shop which has been closed for well over 6 years under bobbins and he took it over at
least 6 years before that, thats a lot of "few years" in my calculation.:confused:

As the old story goes a "story teller needs a good memory" not the exact words i know but polite'er.

scrapydoo
09-Jan-06, 19:27
How new to the area ! by your saying you have only been here a few years well on a further post you can remembers carters then bobbins shop which has been closed for well over 6 years under bobbins and he took it over at
least 6 years before that, thats a lot of "few years" in my calculation.:confused:

As the old story goes a "story teller needs a good memory" not the exact words i know but polite'er.
Well when i say a few i mean 25 nearly 26 lol it just feels like a few years .

Chillie
09-Jan-06, 19:38

:confused: new to the area? few years? you are the first person i have come accross to say "a few years well 25 or 26 years". BIG difference.

scrapydoo
09-Jan-06, 19:52
:confused: new to the area? few years? you are the first person i have come accross to say "a few years well 25 or 26 years". BIG difference.
Some one as there knickers in a knot . 25 or 26 is a few years in my case whats wrong with that ?

Saveman
09-Jan-06, 22:54

I'm afraid it wasn't.

john32
26-Jan-06, 11:26
I have'nt had a smile off the staff :( i got fed up going in there i find them arrogant, i've stood there waiting to be served and had to listen to their gossip. And its true the change does'nt get put into your hand it gets dumped on the counter.I have shopped in 99p shop, 2 me it is only certain members of staff that behave in this way, mostly they happy, friendly atmosphere, as for change was put in my hand with a smile and always have. I am a regular customer.[mad]

katarina
26-Jan-06, 11:38

No. It's extremely difficult and expensive for a band to have their instruments covered by insurance, and in this case they were just starting out and couldn't afford it.