PDA

View Full Version : Wind Power

muffin
13-Sep-08, 16:56
Can anyone recommend a wind turbine which actually works and lasts long enough to recoup the outlay,
I notice most of the ones at Tesco are broken, obviously couldn't cope with the wind speeds up here,
Muffin ;)

badger
13-Sep-08, 18:00
Are they broken or just not turning? They do get switched off sometimes. Will have to look tomorrow.

I would be very careful before embarking on this as I know one person up here had his fingers badly burned and finished up severely out of pocket with something that didn't live up to its promises. There is one in Dunnet which seems to work pretty well looking at it but I have no idea if it's a success financially. From what I've gathered it's not so much the generation as the link with the grid that can cause problems and this needs to be right if you're going to sell the surplus.

Good luck.

Rheghead
13-Sep-08, 19:23
If they were any good then everyone would have one and they'd be taxed by now.

badger
13-Sep-08, 20:10
Well they are pretty expensive - like solar panels, ground source and everything else sensible that we ought to be doing. Payback time for me is probably post mortem [disgust]

MadPict
13-Sep-08, 22:10
I'd get one of these - http://www.home-energy.com/engels/ebv100.htm

bazbiker
13-Sep-08, 23:01
Can anyone recommend a wind turbine which actually works and lasts long enough to recoup the outlay,
I notice most of the ones at Tesco are broken, obviously couldn't cope with the wind speeds up here,
Muffin ;)

The best small wind turbine manufacturer out there is a company called Proven Energy based down in Ayrshire. They have three different sizes of turbine available, just depends how much you want to spend, but obviously the bigger more expensive one will return more revenue!
The company I work for has one of there original smaller turbines at there office in Northern Ireland and it has been generating for over 12 years with no problems and little effort to service it!

The ones Tesco’s have on the roof are not a great design as with the ones B&Q are selling, very ruff built and produce nothing much as I have had a look at them in the past.

muffin
14-Sep-08, 16:19
I'd get one of these - http://www.home-energy.com/engels/ebv100.htm

I can't get this site to work for a UK distributor, do you know someone who has one of these please,
Muffin

muffin
14-Sep-08, 16:21
The best small wind turbine manufacturer out there is a company called Proven Energy based down in Ayrshire. They have three different sizes of turbine available, just depends how much you want to spend, but obviously the bigger more expensive one will return more revenue!
The company I work for has one of there original smaller turbines at there office in Northern Ireland and it has been generating for over 12 years with no problems and little effort to service it!
The ones Tesco’s have on the roof are not a great design as with the ones B&Q are selling, very ruff built and produce nothing much as I have had a look at them in the past.
Thanks for that, I will have a look at their products,
Muffin

bazbiker
15-Sep-08, 13:13
Thanks for that, I will have a look at their products,
Muffin

Here ya go
http://www.provenenergy.co.uk/

They are good turbines by all accounts, there are loads of farm's and small businesses based in industrial estates got them in the south of Scotland, Ireland and North of England.
They also won an award this year for innovation and business development in the renewable sector!
I work in the renewable industry and have researched loads of these small turbines and have found that these are about the best on the market, plus as they are a Scottish company it gives me a bit more confidence when it comes to speaking to someone here rather than in some far off country! I’m thinking about getting a couple of there small turbines or one of there bigger turbines for myself, ive just been a bit busy to sort out all the planning side of things lately!