PDA

View Full Version : Jehova Witnesses

Julia
13-Sep-08, 13:14
Just had them at the door, going ok for a few minutes making sure the woman knew I was an Athiest but being polite, slowly realising the woman was completely brainwashed as she spouted on that her god would save the earth, we were all sinners, everyone would live in paradise eventually when god fixed everything and at the moment earth was ruled by satan, he was to blame for babies and children dying!! :eek:

That's probably my only ever encounter with a real religious nut, I slowly closed the door saying I'm not meaning to be rude but goodbye! To be honest I feel a little freaked out.

Tilter
13-Sep-08, 13:24
I suppose you could round up a bunch of atheists to go knocking on people's doors, but somehow I think atheists would be too intelligent to go along with you.

Rheghead
13-Sep-08, 13:25
I'm not surprised that you feel a little freaked out this, it is shocking that people can be deluded by religious indoctrination in this day and age. Welcomefamily has some expertise in psychiatry etc, perhaps he/she can put some light on why this happens?:confused

balto
13-Sep-08, 13:29
i cant be doing with these people, how they can say all the bad that happens in the the world is gods punishment to mankind for the way we are, total rubbish, i know everyone has their own beliefs and religion, but dont force it down the throat of others.

telfordstar
13-Sep-08, 13:37
They were round my way yesterday but fortunatly i was heading out and saw them at my neighbours door. The has a pram with them with a baby just weeks old in it and a little girl maybe about 2ish.

justine
13-Sep-08, 13:40
Best thing to do with them is quote from the bible. Adam and eve, the serpent, to them they dont exist.especially the serpent.

balto
13-Sep-08, 13:46
They were round my way yesterday but fortunatly i was heading out and saw them at my neighbours door. The has a pram with them with a baby just weeks old in it and a little girl maybe about 2ish.
i think they do this in hope people wont slam the door in their faces.

Julia
13-Sep-08, 13:54
Best thing to do with them is quote from the bible. Adam and eve, the serpent, to them they dont exist.especially the serpent.

That's where you are wrong, I was categorically told that we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, they were tempted so were sinners, thus we are all sinners as all related to adam and steve, sorry eve[lol]

telfordstar
13-Sep-08, 13:59
i think they do this in hope people wont slam the door in their faces.

Thats pretty bad, what fun can that possibly be for a small child to be dragged around folks doors spouting the same stuff. Then again the poor wee kiddies get taught all the stuff at a very early age.

balto
13-Sep-08, 14:01
Thats pretty bad, what fun can that possibly be for a small child to be dragged around folks doors spouting the same stuff. Then again the poor wee kiddies get taught all the stuff at a very early age.
aye but who would really shut the door in such young childs face. think these poor little things have these daft ideas forced down their throats most likely from birth, these people should be ashamed of themselves.

Solus
13-Sep-08, 14:07
each to their own i say, could say the same about christians and such. Had a chap at the door this week, asking me to attend a gospel service, politely declined, he took a step closer to the door and said i had been ask to attend, again i declined thanking him for his time but no thanks, once more he tried almost in the door.

telfordstar
13-Sep-08, 14:10
Im quite open minded to alot of things i will listen to things folk have to say but wont if im getting it shoved down my throat.

teenybash
13-Sep-08, 14:28
I always give them time and when they get that little bit closer and are practically in the door, I open it wider and invite them in. Once inside...usually by that time they have asked me what I do...I simply lift my Tarot deck and say, 'This.' Sad to say they usually make excuses and leave.................;)

Melancholy Man
13-Sep-08, 14:33
Have we had a new Orger who claims to be a JW survivor? Oh, well, maybe if we spell it correctly he'll turn up... Jehovah's Witnesses, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jehovah's Witnesses... that bit of halibut was fit for a Jehovah's Witness...

bobandag16
13-Sep-08, 15:04
Just had them at the door, going ok for a few minutes making sure the woman knew I was an Athiest but being polite, slowly realising the woman was completely brainwashed as she spouted on that her god would save the earth, we were all sinners, everyone would live in paradise eventually when god fixed everything and at the moment earth was ruled by satan, he was to blame for babies and children dying!! :eek:

That's probably my only ever encounter with a real religious nut, I slowly closed the door saying I'm not meaning to be rude but goodbye! To be honest I feel a little freaked out.
take heart my late wife had encounter with them who said the day of judjement will sort her out .her reply was iwill be there before you and get my word in first.

Bad Manners
13-Sep-08, 15:13
My responce to these brain washed people is that I am a satinist and worship belzebob and the dark power will overcome them. for some strange reason they did not want to chat anymore. O well back to the fire.

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-08, 15:19
Yes, but what if they are right.;)
Besides football and religion , I thought was was a no go area on the org:eek:
As Dave Allen used to say," Let your god be with you ".:confused

Julia
13-Sep-08, 15:30
Yes, but what if they are right.
Besides football and religion , I thought was was a no go area on the org
As Dave Allen used to say," Let your god be with you ".

Well they did ask me what my opinion was of the who was to blame for the current state of the world, my immediate answer was religion, politics and football [lol]

Valerie Campbell
13-Sep-08, 15:30
I was always told that if you say you're a Catholic they would leave you in peace.

2little2late
13-Sep-08, 16:41
I really have no time for religion. The bible is just a myth. Someone wrote it thousands of years ago as a prank. My reasoning for believing the bible is a fake is this.
Jesus was supposed to have been born to the Virgin Mary.
If a virgin called Mary went to her doctor nowadays and told the doctor she was pregnant but has never had sex in her lifetime, the doctor would not believe her at all and would probably refer her to a psychiatrist.

I hate every aspect of religion. Religion is the cause of the majority of the world's troubles too. Although I do feel a bit of a hypocrite having to attend churches for weddings, funerals etc.
Thank god I'm an Atheist.
One time they were at my door and said they were calling on behalf of Jehovah's Witnesses and I said "I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the accident" [lol] [lol]

Sandra_B
13-Sep-08, 16:50
Years ago I opened the door to a man who asked me if I wanted to live forever. For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind was that he was selling vitamins (because that happens all the time, right?)

I immediately said no, the look on his face was priceless!

Anji
13-Sep-08, 18:08
One time they were at my door and said they were calling on behalf of Jehovah's Witnesses and I said "I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the accident" [lol] [lol][/quote]

Well done! I wish I could come up with witty retorts that quickly.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Sep-08, 18:19
Can someone tell me if discussing religion is, or isn't, banned from this messageboard, please? Thanks. Bit confused here.

_Ju_
13-Sep-08, 18:21
If a virgin called Mary went to her doctor nowadays and told the doctor she was pregnant but has never had sex in her lifetime, the doctor would not believe her at all and would probably refer her to a psychiatrist.

No he wouldn't. He would presume it was a test tube baby or the result of artificial insemination. doh! ;)

rockchick
13-Sep-08, 18:49
Thank god I'm an Atheist.

Thank who???:eek:

Julia
13-Sep-08, 18:54
Thank who???:eek:

For being a self confessed Atheist I certainly mention god a lot and practically on a daily basis; i.e. Oh god!, my god!, for god's sake!, cheese 'n' rice etc.. [lol]

Melancholy Man
13-Sep-08, 19:17
I really have no time for religion.

In Ian McEwan's Saturday - how did a middle-aged middle-class white bloke living in Belgravia manage to capture so well the mindset of a middle-aged middle-class white bloke living in the leafy suburbs? - the protagonist recounted a tale of an ardent atheist being reduced to spluttering invective when it was observed that his ingrained disbelief was a form of prayer.

The bible is just a myth.

Of course it is. Oh, you mean the mis-translation of it as a demonstrable lie, and not the articulation of a profound truth?

I hate every aspect of religion.

'Hating' "every aspect" of disparate and, more often than not, mutually-contradictory religious traditions is abject moral cowardice. Either that or a statement of blind irrational faith.

Religion is the cause of the majority of the world's troubles too.

Yet, humans are always needed to enact these. Surely you ain't afraid of a book? Bit superstitious, don't you think?

Ricco
13-Sep-08, 19:50
I'm not surprised that you feel a little freaked out this, it is shocking that people can be deluded by religious indoctrination in this day and age. Welcomefamily has some expertise in psychiatry etc, perhaps he/she can put some light on why this happens?:confused

Rheghead - now wash your mouth out with carbolic soap.... Canuck might be watching! :eek:

katarina
13-Sep-08, 20:21
That's where you are wrong, I was categorically told that we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, they were tempted so were sinners, thus we are all sinners as all related to adam and steve, sorry eve[lol]

hee hee! love your typo! don't think they have a very high opinion of homosexuality either!

wifie
13-Sep-08, 20:23
each to their own i say, could say the same about christians and such. Had a chap at the door this week, asking me to attend a gospel service, politely declined, he took a step closer to the door and said i had been ask to attend, again i declined thanking him for his time but no thanks, once more he tried almost in the door.
Indeed each to their own but keep it to themselves. Now I am asuming you are a young(ish) bloke well able to shut yer door on this person but how threatening/frightening for an old person on their own!

scorrie
13-Sep-08, 20:50
Can someone tell me if discussing religion is, or isn't, banned from this messageboard, please? Thanks. Bit confused here.

As I recall, Niall talked about banning religion as a topic a few years back. I know that I, for one, put in a strong message against the notion. It went to a vote and it was a landslide in favour of keeping it as a topic.

northener
13-Sep-08, 21:06
I find it rather odd that only the more radical sectors of the Christian faith feel compelled to use door to door selling.

I've never had a Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or Sikh banging on me door and asking me if I want to live for ever/burn in hell (although I've been approached by Buddhists in the street - nice guys to a man)...so why do certain Christians feel the need to do this?

Probably the same rabid extremists who preach Love and yet cannot tolerate different opinions or religions to their own...something the Christian faith seems to excel at.[disgust]

The only lot I've really got much respect for are the Quakers.

teenybash
13-Sep-08, 21:32

Would that be oats by any chance......:confused

Welcomefamily
13-Sep-08, 21:47

I just tell them that I am more than happy with my religion and if they wish to join me reading from my bible they are more than welcome.
As for the rest of you, I think its fine if you want to have your views and I only hope that one day you will experence GOD. One day I will tell you a story of what changed my mind.

I will have to think about the idea of obsession but got friends around.

Kevin Milkins
13-Sep-08, 21:52
I find it rather odd that only the more radical sectors of the Christian faith feel compelled to use door to door selling.

I've never had a Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or Sikh banging on me door and asking me if I want to live for ever/burn in hell (although I've been approached by Buddhists in the street - nice guys to a man)...so why do certain Christians feel the need to do this?

Probably the same rabid extremists who preach Love and yet cannot tolerate different opinions or religions to their own...something the Christian faith seems to excel at.[disgust]

I have to say that as someone that has been to many church services as a funeral director , the Buddhist do it for me. As I understand it the JW take the bible very literaly, and somewhere in there it says you must go out and spread the word. If they knock your door and you slam it on them ,they are happy with that and feel they have done whats been ask of them.
We have all different opinions and believes and myself I am open minded and would not rubbish any ones ideas of the meaning of life or life after.
After all for all the good ideas so far none of them have been proven right.

Riffman
13-Sep-08, 21:57
I have to say that I find an athiest saying, "Oh my god" absolutely hilarious :lol::lol::lol:

pink
13-Sep-08, 22:18
I very rarely get them at the door now since i proudly put up my blood donor sticker .

Melancholy Man
13-Sep-08, 22:22
I've never had a Buddhist,Pol Pot, and indeed Mao, are rumoured to have achieved the highest level of consciousness. Perfectly detached, perfectly calm.

We're all familiar with the image of the white mouse, General Nguyen Ngoc, shooting (http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m3/apr2008/3/2/143ADF5A-09AF-2752-04D07F648A255491.jpg) Nguyen Van Lem in the head. His comment was "Buddha will understand".

Muslim,"Hello, I'm Stacey, and I would like to tell you about Jesus."

"Hello, I'm Tanvir Hussain, and you have all been watching Eastenders, so I must kill you!!!"

Hindu or SikhThese are non-proselyting religions, so are less likely to do so. Until Lockerbie, the aeroplane bombings had been dominated by Sikh terrorists. This remained - for *religious/ethnic* reasons - until the WTC attacks.

Likewise, until Iraq, the greatest number of and toll from suicide-bombings had been dominated by the LTTE in Sri Lanka, albeit Marxist in ideology but drawn from Hindu Tamils. Conversely, the ruling-elite in Sri Lanka was backed by chauvinistic Buddhist clergy which believed in love and peace for all living creatures, as long as they weren't Tamil.

joxville
13-Sep-08, 22:27
Would that be oats by any chance......:confused

Maybe the only oats he gets now. [lol]

toodiemac
13-Sep-08, 23:28
I just tell them that I am more than happy with my religion and if they wish to join me reading from my bible they are more than welcome.
As for the rest of you, I think its fine if you want to have your views and I only hope that one day you will experence GOD. One day I will tell you a story of what changed my mind.

I will have to think about the idea of obsession but got friends around.

Would be really interested to hear the story which changed your mind. Can you put it on here?

Rheghead
14-Sep-08, 00:13
One day I will tell you a story of what changed my mind.

One day I will tell you of a recent experience of mine, which, if it was interpreted in a certain way could easily have been described as a religious experience. However, I would describe it as a consequence of one of the functions of the brain given the set of circumstances that I found myself in. It is too painful right now for me to talk about specifics given the latest fashion for wise guy one liners but perhaps in time...

horseman
14-Sep-08, 06:50
One day I will tell you of a recent experience of mine, which, if it was interpreted in a certain way could easily have been described as a religious experience. However, I would describe it as a consequence of one of the functions of the brain given the set of circumstances that I found myself in. It is too painful right now for me to talk about specifics given the latest fashion for wise guy one liners but perhaps in time...
We all have those moments,an we deal with them in our own ways,an some of us get the most uplifting enlightining an most life enrichining sensations, each to their own, an please allow us all that.

loobyloo
14-Sep-08, 13:12
I usually tell the door to door brigade that I'm Catholic and they disappear pretty sharpish.

As for religions causing all the troubles in the world, I don't agree with that. Most mainstream religious teachings are against violence and preach tolerance. I have lots of religious friends, although I am not so myself and have never found any of them to be brain-washed. Man's inhumanity to man would exist with, or without religion. People just use it as a means of justifying their actions. I have no problem with people of any faith, as long as they live and let live.

As an aside, did anyone see that programme, 'Who Killed Jesus?' It was really interesting. Couldn't believe that part of the city wall in Jerusalem is the original one that was standing when Jesus was crucified. Wild!

Julia
14-Sep-08, 13:16
As an aside, did anyone see that programme, 'Who Killed Jesus?' It was really interesting. Couldn't believe that part of the city wall in Jerusalem is the original one that was standing when Jesus was crucified. Wild!

Allegedly! ;)

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 14:31
they may be brain washed but they aint half as bad as this lot!!!.
www.godhatesf*gs.com(Just add an A at the *). They are some serious nutjobs. Watched a documentary about them and they are so focused and believe in what they say its Scary and DANGEROUS :( I would take JW's over them any day!!!

Melancholy Man
14-Sep-08, 14:32
As an aside, did anyone see that programme, 'Who Killed Jesus?'

Well?

<reaches for side-arm>

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 14:34
Well?

<reaches for side-arm>

Nobody killed him it was a big conspiracy so that he could lurk on the org and pretend to be gone!!!!

<reaches for MM's side-arm>

Melancholy Man
14-Sep-08, 14:40
Matthew 28:20.

It wasn't us, it was the Manchester Jews!

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 14:44
Matthew 28:20.

It wasnt the jews it was the salvation army that did it!! ;)

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 14:47
Dont you just love religous topics ;) If I attacked the JW's I would get scooted on from a great height!!!!!! ;)

Sapphire2803
14-Sep-08, 17:17
Telling them I'm catholic used to work a treat. The last guy just wanted to chat about the different views on things.
To be honest I always want to stand there and say "My best friend is gay" because the last JW I had a long conversation with told me that God flooded the world to rid us of homosexuality.
My answer? Well, he messed that up didn't he, cos they're back. :lol:

rambo1978
14-Sep-08, 17:25
Absolute horse****, these people are brainwashed.

joxville
14-Sep-08, 18:30
The Mormons, Jehovahs Witness's, Scientology etc., the list is endless of religions which also expect you to hand over 'x' amount of what you earn. Then there was that one led by Maharajah Shree Bagneesh, a man with a taste for the good life-he owned 90+ Rolls Royce's. Also that American tv evangelist, Baker or Bakker, who was ripping of the gullible that sent in millions in response to his tv appeals.

Religion...one way or the other people are being misled.

Saveman
14-Sep-08, 20:34
You're not asked to pay out anything if you're one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I think you'll find that is Mormons....

A message to thinking orgers:-

You're aware that not all members of a religion have the same personalities. Everyone is different in their own beautiful way!
If you want to know about Jehovah's Witnesses just ask them, if you don't then they'll leave you alone. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to make up their own minds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.........it's best to get the facts before slapping on a label.

Welcomefamily
14-Sep-08, 20:52

Im back, just had ones of lifes little contradictory moments, dropped son (child 3) off at Hall of Residence knowing its the start of a new and wonderful part of his life and hopefully it will keep him busy over the next 7 years but when I left I still had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

Back to the subject, its quite a question, in the same way that I disagree with the theory of evolution until such time as a number of the fundimental issues have been solved and at which time I will reconsider my position, I have chosen God in the same light that some might chose Darwin or Jehova. Hopefully all of us can be flexable enough to chose a position that we are happy with and we can be prepared to adapt that position in the light of new evidence. However like with any position, I have know Evolutionist to be just as obsessed and under my criteria that is no different.

Using the same line of thought, I will make my view very clear because many of my ideas will upset all the groups.
The Bible, do we believe it word for word? No I would not, it is a highly bias document and like any historical document, it has to be read in the social context of the day. At its time of writing the Jews were at war with the Romans, so this new christain document was written to separate its self from the Jews and makes them selves more acceptable to the Romans. There is some historical evidence for some of the events in the old testiment if dates are moved about 70 years. However if we look at the Bible as a guide for life and then look at the commandments, think what a nice place the world would be. (Another post soon)

brandy
14-Sep-08, 21:00
i have no trouble with the jehovas, mormons or any other denomination i have to admit.
i dont min dthem coming to the door, and unless im running to or from will always invite them in. i was raised a southern baptist but have no bias against any religion.
the only time that i tend to get upset is when im bashed for beliving in God. I personally find it very ironic that those who go on and on about being bible bashed are the first to turn on someone who has never once tried to change someones faith.. and proceed to shove down their throats how stupid they are for beliving in God, that Jesus did not die on the cross for our sins. that there is no heaven, that we only have this life to live so forget all the rules of that religion crap...ect.. ect.. ect...
however, im proud to say i just put my boys to bed and they finsihed their prayers..
its so heartening to hear them asking for grace and praying for others. my oldest every night will add someone.something new. all his school friends gets prayed for. the dog the car (just in case it gets sick and dosent work) and then totally random people i dindnt even think he knew!) *grins*
i also have a story about how i found my faith.. but will leave it for another night.. *dances off to play on the net*

Julia
14-Sep-08, 21:05
'Who Killed Jesus?'

Nobody killed him it was a big conspiracy so that he could lurk on the org and pretend to be gone!!!!

LMAO [lol]

Welcomefamily
14-Sep-08, 21:10
If I dont not believe in Evolution, then I think I believe in creation, however again I dont believe that we were made in six days but I do believe that we were either put here or arrived here in order to evolve.

They has never been any evidence of the missing link and even allowing for a resonable scale of error, our time on this earth has been very short. We can all be traced back to one source.
People will argue that we are closely related to monkey, using the same arguement we are closely related to fruit flies.

I have many unanswer questions and a point that was made by two of the scientist at CERN was they believe in God and felt their role was to progress human knowledge. This might be a strange concept but if you look at Neurological patterns of activity in people with special abilities such as "austistic type memories or seeing colours when remember certain sounds, these activities use different areas of the brain than what other people might use. In the evolutionary process this spare capacity would have never been created however we have it. Perhap as mankinds knowledge increases we will develop these further abilities as standard, so mankind is here to evolve his knowledge and understanding.

wifie
14-Sep-08, 23:38
An interesting point you make there Wf! Indeed why do we have all this brain capacity but only use some of it - and some more or differently to others! Thanks for that - back to the drawing board! :confused

Lolabelle
15-Sep-08, 06:24
Most of you know me and my stand on "religious" stuff, but for those of you who don't...

I am a "fundamentalist" Christian who believes in God, Jesus his son, the infilling of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, full emersion baptism, the Bible as an absolute truth and I love it!!! :Razz I say fundamentalist because I believe in getting back to the basic fundamental's of the Word of God (not sure if that is the right way to express what I mean, but I think you get my drift)

I am married to an ex Jehovah's Witness and although I don't follow their doctrine, I do love my family. My husband after 7 years of marriage converted to Christianity. And now we love it together.

I don't mind if people think I am a dope for my beliefs, they are mine, and I am happy with my life, I have a peace and contentment in any and all situations, and if that is all that I get out of my "religion", well, again, I am happy with that. I make mistakes and say and do the wrong thing, but I am not ashamed to ask for forgiveness and to admit my errors.
I have been a christian for almost 19 years, I had a life changing experience when I was 24, I have never looked back, and wouldn't change a thing.
If you are happy and doing what you want with your life, good on you! If you are not, do something to make yourself happy, I find it in God.

PS, I don't mind if JW's doorknock me, but they don't come here anymore, as Dave is considered an apostate....
But you can ask them to put you on the "Do not call" list.
Have a good day :Razz

Welcomefamily
15-Sep-08, 07:15
As my principle interest is human behaviour, I find it ironic that we are very quick to ask for moral values and will all agree that man kind is moving in a down ward manner, so perhaps it time to regenerate some of the bible's morals. I am sure you could correlate that aspect of behaviour.

I also would like to see creationism (non religious version but the concept of orginating from one point) taught as part of the biology syllabus to let kids see that a increasingly growing community of scientists who do disagree with Darwins theories in our schools.
This would also go along with my views on the ages of dinosaurs and the lack of dragon bones ever found, and yet every country has its tales of fighting these monsters or their appearence. Also I will also point out that I know a few creation scientists who do not see GOD as the first option to the concept of creation and there is little to disprove we did not arrive in a wheelie bin.

I certainly believe that people are chosen to do GODs work, some people chose to do it, some people are not interested or have no such desire. I feel this should be there choice and I will admit the concept of having someone on the door step selling it offensive.

The concept of spreading the word of GOD again has to be taken in the context of the period and the groups need for membership and I have always believed that GODs true works will spend them selves.

catran
15-Sep-08, 20:29
hee hee! love your typo! don't think they have a very high opinion of homosexuality either!

:confused[smirk]

Well I have worked along side them in various different occupations and they were all right but what about the mormons with all their wives??? I am not up to speed with any of their sexual activities however. What about the Budahs? I know one or two of them as well. An interesting subject indeed.Of course one could go on and on about religion but to what purpose at the end of the day. Each to their own.

It is a shame that both the Jehovahs' and Mormons' go round like insurance men in days of yore canvassing on the doorstep.