PDA

View Full Version : local traders and lunch-time

thickrodney
05-Jan-06, 17:56
what is it with most local traders in caithness?
They shut for lunch generally between 1 and 2.
Do they need 1 hour for lunch?
Can they not stagger lunchbreaks and stay open?

In defense some local traders in Thurso are now open at lunchtime.

I bet Homeba$e et al will be open at lunchtime and they wonder why they lose trade.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/nickydoc/image001.gif

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 17:59
I couldn't agree more..even in the lead up to Christmas, most places still closed for lunch. Roll on the superstores and their opening hours!!

Loafer
05-Jan-06, 18:39
Well said you two!! My good lady and I were discussing this in the run up to Christmas. The lunchtime closure is just a minor part of it.
We did a "virtual shop" round Thurso one night discussing how many shops were pleasant to the customer and how many did we enjoy actually shopping in. The results were disgracefull!! We could only come up with THREE shops that we liked and would like to shop in again!

Have you noticed if you go into a shop 5 minutes before lunch time or closing time that all they are interested in is getting you out of the shop? You never get "Can I help you there at all", just glares as if to say "Get out of her, I'm needing ma grub"

These comments should be a warning to local shopowners as Tesco pride themselves on good customer service and it is just waiting to happen. Had Homebase, Argos and Superdrug being up and running at Christmas, Thurso would have been a ghost town and will be next year, make no mistake about that. Unless radical changes are made on customer service, there will be NO future for these shops. And I, for one, wouldn't shed a tear. They have had it all too easy over the years with Dounreay pouring money into their coffers willy-nilly. Now that money is getting tighter, they will have to actually EARN their pound.

I DO NOT include the shops in Wick in this tirade. All the staff in the stores I have shopped at in Wick always have a smile and a bit of chat for you. They have had to battle through hard times, not like the molly coddled crew in Thurso.

The Loafer

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 19:05
Well said you two!! My good lady and I were discussing this in the run up to Christmas. The lunchtime closure is just a minor part of it.
We did a "virtual shop" round Thurso one night discussing how many shops were pleasant to the customer and how many did we enjoy actually shopping in. The results were disgracefull!! We could only come up with THREE shops that we liked and would like to shop in again!

Have you noticed if you go into a shop 5 minutes before lunch time or closing time that all they are interested in is getting you out of the shop? You never get "Can I help you there at all", just glares as if to say "Get out of her, I'm needing ma grub"

These comments should be a warning to local shopowners as Tesco pride themselves on good customer service and it is just waiting to happen. Had Homebase, Argos and Superdrug being up and running at Christmas, Thurso would have been a ghost town and will be next year, make no mistake about that. Unless radical changes are made on customer service, there will be NO future for these shops. And I, for one, wouldn't shed a tear. They have had it all too easy over the years with Dounreay pouring money into their coffers willy-nilly. Now that money is getting tighter, they will have to actually EARN their pound.

I DO NOT include the shops in Wick in this tirade. All the staff in the stores I have shopped at in Wick always have a smile and a bit of chat for you. They have had to battle through hard times, not like the molly coddled crew in Thurso.

The LoaferThe co-op in wick are one of the worst culprits for this. If you go in there for your shopping, the freezers are covered over and the fridge lights are off. All the newspapers have been gathered up and you cannot get elecric or gas tokens. This is all about an hour before closing time.
It used to be a lovely place to shop, when some of the older ladies, who had been there for years, were there!!
Of course there are some exceptions, a few of the staff do make the effort to mke up for the ones who just want you out the door as soon as possible!!:) But i'm afraid it will be Tescos for me!!

landmarker
05-Jan-06, 20:07
on a personal level I applaud such old fashioned opening hours.
Shop workers need a lunch break like everyone else. I can appreciate you might need to 'nip out' of your place of work at lunchtime to do some shopping but it's a case of hard cheese. Life should not always be about maximising profit. The longer such slavish devotion to consumerism is resisted the better in my opinion. I wished the shops here closed for lunch, and for a half day on wednesdays like they used to.

Appreciate that I'm stuck in 1967 -it was such a good year.

As for 'Homebase' no, no they wont close for dinner. They'll be open all hours.
Staff wil learn to eat their evening meals at nine pm. and work all day Sunday.It's progress, I'm told.

Alan

EDDIE
05-Jan-06, 20:16
well im 35 and its always been like that for as long as i can remember

boxer
05-Jan-06, 20:31
why should traders open over lunch just to keep a few people happy

ice box
05-Jan-06, 20:33
Well said loafer i work in thurso and live in wick and when i go for my lunch at the little coop up spring park way . I've noticed that they will hardle say hi than get the crack and on a couple of time they be through the back chatting like old tea wifeys and people will be queing up at the till and not as much as a sorry.

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 20:34
why should traders open over lunch just to keep a few people happyEactly, they can please themselves. Which is why the big stores will come and do it instead!!

ice box
05-Jan-06, 20:35
Coz thats when they make there money when everybody on there lunch.

boxer
05-Jan-06, 20:37
what makes you think that the big stores will have more staff at lunch time than the coop or eney other firm in caithness they dont make that much or they would be open for lunch

concerned resident
05-Jan-06, 20:54
Is it still the that some shops in Thurso, are shut on the first Monday in the month, for what reason I have no idea, I know it was the usual practice for years. i always suspected they did'nt need the money, it certainly was not very convenient.

EDDIE
05-Jan-06, 20:54
It wouldn't cost local traders extra to stay open over lunchtime all they have to do is stagger there lunch breaks like most companys do nowadays.And whether they make more or not over lunchtime is irelavant they should stay open to address customer needs after all its the local trader that are moaning about everyone going to inverness to do there shopping.
Whats needed up in caithness is a good Big superstore and argos that will sort out the local shops and there expensive prices
I just think that the local shops dont meet the needs of local customers thats why inverness is so popular

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 21:18
Well said loafer i work in thurso and live in wick and when i go for my lunch at the little coop up spring park way . I've noticed that they will hardle say hi than get the crack and on a couple of time they be through the back chatting like old tea wifeys and people will be queing up at the till and not as much as a sorry.

ice box

your bang out of order

ice box
05-Jan-06, 21:24
ice box

your bang out of order
Why............ ?

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 21:29
as i work there and will be letting my boss know of this

unicorn
05-Jan-06, 21:31
I am glad you will bring it to his attention because the service is that shop is diabolical at times!!!

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 21:37
as i work there and will be letting my boss know of thisThe customer is always right. Maybe if you make your boss aware of what his customers think he will do something about it!!

Loafer
05-Jan-06, 21:40
why should traders open over lunch just to keep a few people happy

In my humble opinion, and indeed if I was a shopkeeper, if ONE single customer, no make it NO customers came when I was open at lunchtime, at least they would have had the OPORTUNITY to shop in my store.

The Loafer

ice box
05-Jan-06, 21:57
ice box

your bang out of order
You still have not answered why am i bang out of order

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 22:01
for what u said

ice box
05-Jan-06, 22:04
This is what i said what is bang out of order about it.

Mr P Cannop
05-Jan-06, 22:09
not at all

ice box
05-Jan-06, 23:03
If it,s not at all what are you shouting about then ?

angela5
05-Jan-06, 23:04
The co-op in wick are one of the worst culprits for this. If you go in there for your shopping, the freezers are covered over and the fridge lights are off. All the newspapers have been gathered up and you cannot get elecric or gas tokens. This is all about an hour before closing time.
It used to be a lovely place to shop, when some of the older ladies, who had been there for years, were there!!
Of course there are some exceptions, a few of the staff do make the effort to mke up for the ones who just want you out the door as soon as possible!!:) But i'm afraid it will be Tescos for me!!

Everything you have said is spot on connie, i went into the coop one evening at 7.30pm half an hour before closing to purchase gas i was told 'the machine is closed for tonight' i asked 'why you don't close for half an hour', she replied 'it was quiet so i just closed the machine', thats fantastic customer service for you.
Also on another occasion i was being served at the checkout at 7.45pm when a gentleman came in looking for the press and journal, he was told ' sorry we are all sold out' to my amazement i was offered a free paper on the way out, plenty left the girl said.
I am fed up shopping in the coop and can not wait for Tescos.

teritoots
05-Jan-06, 23:33
I do try supporting local traders but it's virtually impossible..... if I work 8-5 and my lunch break is 1-2 then half the shops are shut and i cannot buy anything most of culprits that close between 1 & 2 also close at 5? Therefore I get so angry and shop online! I do not understand why they all tend to do this as most people who have money to spend work therefore surely they'd try and attract the working person instead they close their shops when people can shop???? Of course there is saturday....... but if i order online on a mon it can be here by wed why wait I say!!

scorrie
05-Jan-06, 23:46
I posted about the poor local shopping hours some time back. It is all very well harking back to the "good old days" when shops were hardly ever open but the reality is that the modern consumer seeks convenience in all forms, which includes opening hours. People can argue the ifs, buts and maybes on this, however when Tesco, Homebase et al open their doors there will be a good few local traders getting an extended closing period that will give them all the time they need to tend to the Dinner, Garden, own shopping etc

That's if they are not busy chapping Tesco's door for a job!! At least Tesco will be open!!

EDDIE
05-Jan-06, 23:51
I do try supporting local traders but it's virtually impossible..... if I work 8-5 and my lunch break is 1-2 then half the shops are shut and i cannot buy anything most of culprits that close between 1 & 2 also close at 5? Therefore I get so angry and shop online! I do not understand why they all tend to do this as most people who have money to spend work therefore surely they'd try and attract the working person instead they close their shops when people can shop???? Of course there is saturday....... but if i order online on a mon it can be here by wed why wait I say!!
I agree with everthing you say except supporting the local trader The local traders are out to make as much profit as they can at the expense of the locals i support new business comming into the area to generate more competition which is good for the locals and will make things cheaper to buy.

Alice in Blunderland
05-Jan-06, 23:57
Its a true fact that times have changed and todays customers needs have also changed opening at lunch time would be of an advantage for both customer and shop. Staggered lunch hours would be the answer and it would also give those workers the opportunity to shop themselves whilst on their lunch hour if neded.Local shops will have to step up a pace with their opening hours and services to keep up with the shops about to move into the area instead of moaning about the arrival of these shops local stores should be saying how can we make sure that we are equaly attractive to the customer so as not to lose out.

Fesman
06-Jan-06, 05:29
How quaint.

It is only tradition that enables shopkeepers to close their doors at lunch-time.

It is that same tradition that dictates local shopping habits.

If enough people started banging on closed doors, I'm sure that tradition would go out the window.

When Sunday trading was introduced in NZ, retailers were worried that their increased costs (by staying open) wouldn't be met by what was seen as a fixed (therefore, finite) economy. There was some concern that spending would remain static, but spread more thinly.

In actual fact, spending increased dramatically. The retail sector was forced to employ greater numbers of staff and those extra staff became consumers, themselves. Retail customers soon learned to enjoy the benefits of Sunday shopping and it wasn't long before the discretionary dollar found it's way into the Nation's tills, rather than stagnating in Bank Accounts.

The flow on effect of the increased spending resulted in all sectors of the economy benefitting and spawned new and innovative enterprise.

Once a few of the Chainstores open in your area, you will see other retailers change their viewpoint, to their eternal benefit.

In NZ, it is now possible to shop 24 hours a day, seven days a week (except Christmas Day and Good Friday) and the retail sector has never been in better shape.

thickrodney
06-Jan-06, 15:48
How quaint.

It is only tradition that enables shopkeepers to close their doors at lunch-time.

Does any1 know what the tradition is? or where it comes from?
I know in Thurso that they have/had 1/2 day closing o n Thursday, but why?
Did they all go to the pub?

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 18:03
Some shops in Wick still hold to the half day Wednesday closing I dont know why either.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 18:07
An idea maybe the people of Wick shop in Thurso on a Wednesday afternoon and the people of Thurso shop in Wick on a Thursday afternoon supporting each other (lol)

badger
06-Jan-06, 19:50
Can anyone explain Holiday Mondays to me? Some shops close, most don't, some don't even know when they happen and they always catch me out.

AR
07-Jan-06, 18:35
Ive found the worst offenders to be banks, and i prefer speaking to people face to face. I constantly get asked to try banking online but i cannot see where to put the £20 notes in the computer, anyone know where the hole is?

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 18:50
I remember the holiday Monday Thurso was one week and Wick was the other I have no idea why.Lots more shops used to close than now it seems to be dying out, not before time.Inverness also used to have a holiday Monday as well if I can remember right.

Saveman
07-Jan-06, 18:52
Ive found the worst offenders to be banks, and i prefer speaking to people face to face. I constantly get asked to try banking online but i cannot see where to put the £20 notes in the computer, anyone know where the hole is?

LOL You silly sausage! You don't put it in a hole!
You scan it in, then upload it.

AR
07-Jan-06, 19:30
They never told me that i needed a scanner!

EDDIE
07-Jan-06, 19:38
Im not into banking online your more at risk of identity fraud.Im the same to i prefer face to face contact another thing that annoys me to is there trying to do away with the bank pass books and sending people yearly bank statements of there savings which is wrong i like the good old passbook so you know exactly were you stand i guess im getting old and not will to change with the tmes.

Drutt
07-Jan-06, 19:43
Im not into banking online your more at risk of identity fraud.
I don't think you are. Identity fraud is more likely if there are more bits of paper relating to your finances floating around, I believe. Think of all those people who put credit card statements and receipts in their bin without shredding them first... they're putting themselves at risk of identity fraud. Of course, it can still happen to people who don't do this, but it's less likely.

I've banked with online-only banks for years and I don't even get paper statements anymore. I like banking when it suits me, not when it suits the opening times of brick-and-mortar banks. Face-to-face banking is overrated and expensive.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 20:42
My husband has banked online for years with no problems we have had our card cloned that wasnt a nice experience in no time at all the money was out our account and gone the police think it was cloned by a staff member in a store down south got our details in seconds and our cash just as quick.