PDA

View Full Version : Rare as hens teeth??

moonshadow
05-Jan-06, 01:37
I've been trying to find somewhere fairly local that either rents or sells kilts without trying to bankrupt you!
Need a MacDonald of the Isles tartan kilt fairly soon if possible...any help would be appreciated!

tartan example:
http://www.borderart.co.uk/tartan_images/big/MWS2202.jpg

ice box
05-Jan-06, 09:28
Try macallan wick or thurso they sell and hire kilts my mate hired one for a wedding i will try and find out how much it cost him .

suzy
05-Jan-06, 13:11
Hi There, we hired a kilt outfit from macallans of wick for the prom it cost £75.

AR
05-Jan-06, 14:57
How about boarstone tartans in Inverness, I got my "rare" tartan from there when Mcallans couldnt get me the one i wanted. A friend told me to try there and a bit of searching was worthwhile when he came up with 3 tartans for my family. It was more expencive than a "standard" tartan, but from what i remember only abut £50 dearer for the kilt bit. It did get expencive for the full dress!Not much change from £1k!!! uuugggghh!

spiggie
05-Jan-06, 17:24
What about Buttresses up in Thurso? i'm sure they hire out kilts, not too sure about the price though.

stekar
05-Jan-06, 20:31
Have you tried Ebay? Not sure if you'd be able to find your tartan, but there's some Ebay Shops which have lots of different tartans, not just the more popular ones.

moonshadow
06-Jan-06, 13:27
Thanks for all the suggestions!! will try them all!

The Angel Of Death
07-Jan-06, 01:23
I got my "rare" tartan from there when Mcallans couldnt get me the one i wanted.
Mcallans selection is rubbish they cant get bigger sizes of kilts they told us that they couldnt get bigger than a 46 inch waste for rangers tartan when most football supporters tend to be "chunky" and could only offer extentions to make the kilt look bigger

The funny thing is when we looked at ben wivis kilt hire (first one out the yellow pages) beside the train station in inverness (Website Here (http://www.benwyviskilts.co.uk/) ) they couldnt have been more helpfull and actually made a NEW kilt up just for hire to get the size we needed and then for them to hire out afterwards and they were also £10 cheaper for the kilt as well

The funny thing was when we picked the kilt up they told me that they had supplied mcallans with kilts before as well just seems strange to me that mcallans cant supply a kilt larger than a 48 inch waste when the scots are exactly know for being stick thin !!!