PDA

View Full Version : Ufo's

angela5
04-Jan-06, 23:15
More than 40 million people have claimed to have seen a ufo.

what views do you have on aliens are we really all alone?

i an unsure to be honest i've never experienced or claimed to have seen an ufo, i am really intrigued by programmes and documentary's on the subject of this, is any else intrigued?

moose and Lindsay
04-Jan-06, 23:18
My daughter saw 1 about 7years ago, she was out playing with her pal

there was a write up in the groat about it!!

I think its all rubbish really

angela5
04-Jan-06, 23:21
Thats why i am unsure sometimes i do think rubbish, but so many claim to have had some kind of experience or sighting it makes you then think maybe.

angela5
04-Jan-06, 23:38
There is a programme on sky one that started at 10 'o'clock about ufo's, if anyone is interested.

Rheghead
04-Jan-06, 23:39
UFOs don't necessarily mean that aliens have landed. I have seen one though.

Kenn
04-Jan-06, 23:41
I have seen some strange phenomena in the sky but nothing that could not be explained as either an optical illusion or a trick of nature, usually refracted light either through a frosty sky or through a cloud formation.
I am now convinced that we have ever been visited by aliens but do believe in the power of auto suggestion and that might account why so many people seem to have the experience of alien visitations. The sub conscious mind plays many tricks on the conscious whuch accounts for the disjointed and some times weird dreams we have.
Would be good to think that we are not alone in The Universe and so many it's a frightening thought.

P.S Just which planer did you say was your home world DrSzin?

jjc
04-Jan-06, 23:46
what views do you have on aliens are we really all alone?
Well, I think I’ve said before that I find it difficult to get my imagination around the enormity of space. I have a similar problem coming to terms with the number of planets within it. Okay, so the odds were stacked against the emergence of life on Earth in the first place, let alone evolution leading to sentient beings like us, but with there being so many other planets moving along out there, I don’t think it’s beyond reason to suggest that the same hasn’t happened elsewhere.

Whether that means that we are being visited is another matter. Are other beings able to cross the vastness of space where we are not… and even if they could, would they find us on our little planet? Would they even be interested in us?

I half suspect that the truth is more that people don’t like to feel alone and don’t like to feel that they have no purpose. For some, religion fills the gap. For others I think that E.T. does the job. And just as people all over the world claim to have spoken to their God, there will always be those who claim to have spoken to aliens.

EDDIE
04-Jan-06, 23:57
I dont believe that we are the only living planet i think there are if u like aliens out there somewere we just dont have the technology to go and find out.I think its scarey when you see the governments of the world sending out satelites to deep space transmitting signals in the hope of finding aliens especially if its an alien thats technolgy is more advanced then us and what if they are evil aliens scarey.

Rheghead
05-Jan-06, 00:02
Sometimes I think the universe is filled with life, there is enough stars to suggest that is possible. Sometimes I think we are alone:(. Either way, it really is quite remarkable!!

Alice in Blunderland
05-Jan-06, 00:14
think its scarey when you see the governments of the world sending out satelites to deep space transmitting signals in the hope of finding aliens especially if its an alien thats technolgy is more advanced then us and what if they are evil aliens scarey.[/QUOTE]
That is indeed food for thought.

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 00:25
Originally the Earth was unique and was the centre of the whole Universe.
Then it was found that the Earth went round the Sun so the Sun became unique and was the centre of the Universe.
Then it was found that the Sun was a part of the Milky Way and the Milky Way became unique in it's position in the Universe.
Now, to our horror, it has been found that the Milky Way is nothing special and neither are the Sun or Planets.
So far we have peered through our living room window into the garden and decided that because we cannot see a garden full of people that we have proved that we are alone.
No I don't believe that beings who look like us everywhere in the Universe but to still believe that there cannot be life-forms of some sort elsewhere is just a refusal to give up our position at the centre of the Universe.
In the last 30 years or so we have found life-forms here on earth that prior to that we knew full-well could never exist.
If we are ignorant of life that exists in our own living room how can we be certain that there is no life elsewhere?
(If there are any Klingons listening off the Starboard Bow, I mean no offence!) Just to be safe!

angela5
05-Jan-06, 00:27
I watched parts of a programme on sky one tonight about ufo's, the guy talking you through the series said ' do aliens prefer americans'
they claim to have seen more sightings, ailen encounters, abduction than anywhere else in the world.

many from the United Kingdom have claimed to of seen sightings, even being abducted. was'nt there once a story of a sighting of a ufo in perthshire?

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 00:34
I understand Bonnybridge is known as the UFO centre of Great Britain.

gleeber
05-Jan-06, 00:51
I reckon theres as good a chance there isnt other life out there, as there is. Ive seen a few real UFOs in my time too.

angela5
05-Jan-06, 00:56
I reckon theres as good a chance there isnt other life out there, as there is. Ive seen a few real UFOs in my time too.

Have you, where was your sightings?

Rheghead
05-Jan-06, 01:00
Well, I have a confession to make. Back in 1997, I read a DIY UFO website and followed the instructions,

Get

one gas cylinder of Helium
A packet of party balloons
'Snap and glow' lighting sticks
sellotape and string
A dark clear night with a wind going over a connurbation

and you are in business!!

Alas, I didna make e headlines but if I got one head scratched in awe then it was worth it!!:p

Lianachan
05-Jan-06, 01:57

A lot of people seem to automatically think a UFO must require some sort of alien involvement - forgetting that it's just an Unidentified Flying Object, in otherwords as broad a term as something in the sky they can't identify. It has nothing to do with any questions as to whether aliens exist at all, let alone whether they're visiting the Earth - such questions would require the assumption that the UFO is an alien spacecraft (and has therefore been identified!).

:D

It's also important to remember that one person's UFO is another's distant Boeing 737 in a holding pattern - in other words, it's a highly subjective thing and classification is highly variable, depending largely on the knowledge and experience of the witness.

Saveman
05-Jan-06, 12:45
While out on the hill one starry evening, my party and I spotted what looked initially like a satellite going overhead. However it then started jerking sideways, one way then the other...while still making a ponderous path across the heavens.

It looked very strange, but we came to the conclusion that it was probably the massive solar panel recently ejected from Hubble, with the sun reflecting off different parts of its length as it spun in orbit....

If it wasn't then yes I've seen a UFO. :)

ice box
05-Jan-06, 14:22
What you have seen an alien or you have seen an UFO ?

Rheghead
05-Jan-06, 15:15
What you have seen an alien or you have seen an UFO ?

A UFO, it flew just above the horizon, a distance of about 5 miles, stopped dead in mid flight, hovered for what seemed 10 seconds then dropped vertically behind the hill. No aliens but I would like to be the first person to make first contact if they were coming though :eek:

Gleber2
05-Jan-06, 16:31
Don't you think that,if aliens were coming into our solar system,that they would make some sort of contact?Or is it we are being watched to make sure that we never leave this solar system as our brand of insanity is not wanted in the Galactic Confederation.
To quote Monty Python"Lets hope there is intelligent life out there because ther's certainly none down here" Correct quote? Near enough for Jjc to get my meaning.

RandomHero
05-Jan-06, 17:17
why would they want to contact us? they just have to look at the damage we have caused to our own planet, imagine what we could do to theirs. I don't imagine we are alone. i think more money should go into learning about our own planet rather than another one.

spiggie
05-Jan-06, 17:34
But what about the people who claim that they have been abducted by aliens, never mind having seen a flying saucer...?

RandomHero
05-Jan-06, 18:14
it's a possibilty. who knows if they are telling the truth? i like to think ther is more out there. it's quite an arrogant approach to it if u think that if ther are aliens then they must contact us. again a bit arrogant to think we are all alone. the universe is huge, bigger than we can imagine. what is the chance of it being just us that populate this huge space?

marion
05-Jan-06, 18:22
I have seen a lot during my 80-plus years, but never a UFO. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just because I have not seen one. However, I have always wondered why they don't show themselves to prove that they do exist. Perhaps, if there are such things with occupants they might just believe that we are not ready for their contact.

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 18:23
I know some-one who says she was abducted by aliens. It was about forty years ago. There's a lot of people I wouldn't believe but I know that this lady wouldn't have made it up. She can remember them coming into the bedroom and she could'nt waken her husband. then she remembers nothing but has had a bad pain in her arm ever since. She rekons they took her away and did some operation or something on her...
At the time she knew nothing about aliens, but after reading up on them, other peoples stories are very similar...:confused:

George Brims
05-Jan-06, 18:27
A few random points:

Most of the sightings in the US are in the desert states like Arizona and Nevada. If I lived in those areas I would soon start seeing things myself. I'm not a fan of the desert as you might gather - never lived more than ten miles from the sea in my life.

Same said states contain a lot of military installations, particularly Area 51 (very secret) and China Lake (where the US Navy test new airborne weapons). Things might be unidentifiable because you're not supposed to know about them yet.

For a very funny take on the alien abductions issue, read "Little Green Men" by Christopher Buckley.

There are a LOT of bits of space hardware fluttering about up there. Some of them are functional (TV satellites etc), and some useless (International Space Station is no.1 on that list).

ice box
05-Jan-06, 20:10
A UFO, it flew just above the horizon, a distance of about 5 miles, stopped dead in mid flight, hovered for what seemed 10 seconds then dropped vertically behind the hill. No aliens but I would like to be the first person to make first contact if they were coming though :eek:
Where about did you see that ?

ice box
05-Jan-06, 20:14
Was it local ?

Rheghead
05-Jan-06, 20:16
Was it local ?

No it wasn't local, it was in the Morecambe Bay area of Cumbria, another UFO hotspot apparently but without a US military presence.;)

RandomHero
05-Jan-06, 21:03
I have seen a lot during my 80-plus years, but never a UFO. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just because I have not seen one. However, I have always wondered why they don't show themselves to prove that they do exist. Perhaps, if there are such things with occupants they might just believe that we are not ready for their contact.

Why should they show themselves to us? Why do we, as a race, think we should be so privaledged as for them to make contact with us? To be honest, if they can create ships like the ones that have been 'sighted', i imagine they are far enough ahead of us with regards to technology to ever need anything from our little planet.

spiggie
05-Jan-06, 21:34
Why should they show themselves to us? Why do we, as a race, think we should be so privaledged as for them to make contact with us? To be honest, if they can create ships like the ones that have been 'sighted', i imagine they are far enough ahead of us with regards to technology to ever need anything from our little planet.

so why do they...?

RandomHero
05-Jan-06, 21:44
but isn't that the question? DO they? or do they not? I was merley getting at the fact that some people value themselves so high that aliens must want to make contact with them.

gleeber
06-Jan-06, 02:05
Have you, where was your sightings?

I saw three UFOs from a distance of about 10 miles. They were flying fast and straight over the island of Skye. I was on the coast in Wester Ross. Next day in the P&J the front page story carried reports from locals in Skye about UFOs. I thought they may have been meteorites.
I saw something similar to Rheghead at Barrock about 10 years ago. Some others saw it too. I thought it may have been some kind of lightening.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 02:28
Was it a bird was it a plane no it was a alien what do you lot really think if there was a alien type preson some were in the galaxy dont you think we would seen it by now .Come on people this is the 21 first century you lot are losing it

JAWS
06-Jan-06, 04:19
ice box, I suppose the Australian Aborigines thought exactly the same thing.
Then Captain Cook came sailing out of the wide blue yonder and proved them horribly wrong.

paris
06-Jan-06, 04:57
about 20 years ago my hubby said he saw something in the sky, he still to this day says it was some kind of UFO, and no he hadnt been on the drink!

Gleber2
06-Jan-06, 16:49
It is quite possible,if not likely,that there is life out there and it is quite possible that aliens have visited our Solar system. The only real reason that I feel prevents a meeting is that advanced civilisations are banned by Cosmic Law to interfere in the development of a backward race until they have survived beyond beyond the point where there is no danger of them destroying themselves and they have reached the intellectual level where they know,beyond arguement, that it is wrong to take any life. Of course,the insanity of religion alone and it's effects on society would be enough to keep us out of any theoretical Cosmic Confederation.
The native Australians may have welcomed Cook but how many of them are left in a country that is no longer theirs? I've never seen a UFO and I've never met a native of Iceland. My ignorance does not allow me to deny the existance of either.

Gleber2
06-Jan-06, 16:49
Whoops I seem to have posted this twice.Oh Dear

katarina
06-Jan-06, 17:45
Of course we're not the only planet supporting life in the universe - it defies reason to believe we are. It is therefore perfectly feasable that there are other worlds that are much more advanced and can fly by to take a look now and then. Or even abduct a few of us to do experiments.
Or maybe...... god was a space man.......and we are all just an experiment. If so, we are an experiment that has failed!

Stargazer
06-Jan-06, 17:57
If we are to believe that the universe is as big and as old as the scientists tell us it must be buzzing with life out there. So where is it?

Rheghead
06-Jan-06, 18:25
So where is it?

If you set off on foot from your house to look for an elephant and you had no idea where they were, but you believe them to exist but you have no proof, how long would it take you to find one? Would you get fed up before you succeed and would the constant bickering of the elephant deniers put you off from looking? You'd like a car but no one will buy you one. Plus, you don't know what they look like or how they communicate, so you could walk past one and be totally unaware of their existence.

These are the problems of the SETI (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/). Until last week I was helping the SETI, I have yet to get the latest software.

rich62_uk
06-Jan-06, 19:15
To accept that there is no other forms of life out there you have to accept two other things. That over the course of billions and billions of years Steven's pop only happened once, and that some-one had more than just the seventh day with his feet up. :)

JAWS
07-Jan-06, 04:45
The question of, "If they are out there then why aren't they here?" is fine.
I only have one problem with it.
If there is a little being out there in a far off galaxy asking the same question, does that mean that we are not here?
After all, if we were here then we must be out there.

Gleber2
07-Jan-06, 04:54
Agreed, Jaws, but are we not debating the existance of UFO's? If UFO's exist then the little green men from Alpha Centauri are on our doorsteps,not way out there. Your last statement confuses me a little.Are you saying that the men out there are the same as us?How frightening.

JAWS
07-Jan-06, 05:36
Good Grief No!!!!!
One Human Race is quite enough for the Universe to cope with however large it is!
Not even I could cope with another me. ;)

UFOs certainly exist and people do see them of thet I have no doubt.
Some are hoaxes, some are eventually explainable but a certain amount fall into neither of those categories.
Many people who say they have seen them, and there are many who say nothing for fear of ridicule, are sensible and reliable people.
They have certainly seen something and a good proportion of those have no known explanation.

Whether what they see is Little Green Men buzzing Earth for a little fun or whether they are a natural phenomenon we have not found yet I do not know.
Indeed, some might even be genuine Aliens from other Worlds, I certainly am not brave enough to deny the possibility absolutely.