PDA

View Full Version : Where To Live?

David B
11-Sep-08, 20:51
I am moving to Caithness shortly. I start working in Wick in November.

Any suggestions of where to live (or where to avoid).

Is Wick better then Thurso? How do the facilities compare? Facilities for kids? Does the cinema and bowling alley give Thurso an advantage?

Are there nice villages in the area?

I am vaguely familiar with the area and have no preconceived ideas at this stage.

I realise that these things are very much a matter of opinion but I am happy to listen to your views.

DeHaviLand
11-Sep-08, 20:56
Oh oh, blue touch paper lit, now stand well back:eek::lol:

northener
11-Sep-08, 20:59
Crikey. Wick or Thurso - which one?

Just sit back and watch the fireworks David.:D

As far as villages go, yes there are some very nice places to live.

Do you want a village with facilities or would you be happy with just a few houses around you and no pub/shop etc?

Give us an idea of your ideal place and I'm sure people on here will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 21:06
Let me be the first to offer up somewhere nice to live

T>>>H>>>R>>>U>>>M>>>S>>>T>>>E>>>R>>>

:cool:

balto
11-Sep-08, 21:10
Let me be the first to offer up somewhere nice to live

T>>>H>>>R>>>U>>>M>>>S>>>T>>>E>>>R>>>

:cool:

agree totally with alice, i live in thurso but originally from thrumster, and you will not find a better place to live than thrumster, the people are so friendly, and you arent to far outside wick, i would say go for it.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 21:13
It truly is down to what you are looking for in where you live.

Do you want to be in the town no travelling for work?

Do you have primary school kids or High School kids ? Lots of villages have a school and one or two a local shop.

I am sure lots of people will be able to give you ideas.

I posted Thrumster as I have lived there for a few years. It has a good school for primary kids. A great pub serving good food. Its four miles south from the town of Wick and has a good bus service, Tennis court ,playing fields and currently a nice wee house for sale. :cool:

And I forgot to mention my dads name is also David.

David B
11-Sep-08, 22:11
Over the years I have lived in built up areas and rural areas. I have no particular preference. Just something that helps me achieve that elusive work/life balance. I don't mind commuting if a place is "nice".

On a practical level, are there any areas prone to flooding, gangs of hoodies or anything else which means they are best avoided. Mind you, I think we are supposed to hug a hoodie these days.

karia
11-Sep-08, 22:18
yer job won't be flexible tho..Dave? A lot will depend on that!

Where will ye be working and what kinda hours? What expectations do any wife/kids have?

Kx

del 123
11-Sep-08, 22:19

Is Wick better then Thurso? How do the facilities compare? Facilities for kids? Does the cinema and bowling alley give Thurso an advantage?

I am vaguely familiar with the area and have no preconceived ideas at this stage.

I realise that these things are very much a matter of opinion but I am happy to listen to your views.

as villages go,keiss is good as there is a shop,pub,school,play parks,a beach& a new hall.not to far from wick,or thurso.nice tidy clean quiet village

Welcomefamily
11-Sep-08, 22:20
Welcome to the org David. Thurso has also got the College and HI University, its quieter than Wick I think. Halkirk is nice so is Reay. My kids enjoy the town and since moving into Thurso it has meant Im no longer a taxi service as they all have busy social lives.

The fishing is better to :lol:

karia
11-Sep-08, 22:21
Blimey.... Slaps forehead!...what is your profession again?:)

bobandag16
11-Sep-08, 22:37

where are coming from. are you scottish by any link how big afamily the wife must decide any where in caithnes will be great the people are great 48 years as an english b i love them all.

teenybash
11-Sep-08, 23:12
A nice big welcome David....sit for a minute and have a wee cuppa and I'll tell you about Watten.
Watten is a warm friendly village with about everything you and your family could possible want. Quiet friendly folks, a local hotel/pub on the corner called The Brown Trout. Post office with village store that carries an excellent stock and not too badly priced...nice friendly folk who work there are always ready for a chat. Primary school for the youngsters complete with lollypop person to see them safely over the road.
Village hall that runs a number of actvities and entertainment throughout the year where you would be made welcome. Local Church for your spiritual self and if you enjoy fishing or just messing about on the water, there is the famous Loch Watten. The village also sports a garden supplier for your paving slabs, lawn mowers, spade and general garden bits and pieces.If you are into horses there is also Sandy the local farrier/blacksmith...if you want something done with iron, he the man that will do it.
At the moment there are a few houses for sale in the village and also a number of plots if you want to build.
Watten also in on the bus route for Wick and Thurso and lies a few miles closer to Wick than Thurso but, roughly midway as the crow flies..... Oh and by the way the only Hoodies you will see are Hoody crows..
There you go....did you enjoy your cuppa?:)

TBH
11-Sep-08, 23:20
I think Thurso would be a very nice Village to live in but you're better opting for Wick if you're looking for somewhere with indoor toilets and modern central heating.

rambo1978
11-Sep-08, 23:21
agree totally with alice, i live in thurso but originally from thrumster, and you will not find a better place to live than thrumster, the people are so friendly, and you arent to far outside wick, i would say go for it.

Lived in thrumster for 12 years, and it's a lovely wee village, pity that the PO is closed down and now the petrol station too :(

over-the-ord
12-Sep-08, 18:25
a round up of halkirk! ( with few houses for sale 2,3 and 4bedrooms at the moment, not sure of rentals!)

primary school with about 130 pupils
nursery & playgroup
mother and toddler
ulbster arms hotel
Commercial hotel
post office
hair dressers
chipshop( not open as for sale)
kitchen shop
spar with a lovely bakery section and butcher meat
army cadets
bbs
football training
brownies
guilds
highland dancing classes
line dancing classes?
keep fit classes
youth club
few play parks
petrol pumps and garage, for sale!
indoor bowling (winter months for junior and senior)
and is on bus route to wick and thurso 17 miles wick 7 miles thurso!
indoor riding school
and a new big sports complex to be build
and thurso river runs through if you are into fishing! permit needed
2 churches

moved here 10 years ago and would move anywhere else its a nice friendly village, brought up in wick and also lived in thurso, but halkirk is home

cant think of anything else but i am sure that there's a few things missed out!

Billy Boy
12-Sep-08, 18:36
Dont you mean you wouldnt move anywhere else lol ;)

joxville
12-Sep-08, 18:55
I think Thurso would be a very nice Village to live in but you're better opting for Wick if you're looking for somewhere with indoor toilets and modern central heating.

WICK? Downside is all the locals look like Quasimodo-even the women! [lol]

silverfox57
12-Sep-08, 20:00
blue touch paper is lit:lol:hear we go wick against thurso,they both have good and bad points,:eek:

purplelady
13-Sep-08, 00:27
I moved to wick 7yrs ago and have found it a good place to live and has got better over the years you have good shops and schools and the locals are ok too lol

wifie
13-Sep-08, 01:27
Ouch! Again! (I seem to remember bein a slapped teainabowla before from yer less than complimentary postin about Thurso! ;))

A nice big welcome David....sit for a minute and have a wee cuppa and I'll tell you about Watten.
Watten also in on the bus route for Wick and Thurso and lies a few miles closer to Wick than Thurso but, roughly midway as the crow flies..... Oh and by the way the only Hoodies you will see are Hoody crows..
There you go....did you enjoy your cuppa?

Teenybash will be openin a tearoom there soon! [lol]
Awful lot of crows mentioned - is there a problem wi lots of poo?

WICK? Downside is all the locals look like Quasimodo-even the women!

Says the handsomest chap on the Org! ;) Or are you sayin TBH is a campanologist?

Seriously David - I was born and raised in Thurso so I canna see past it really but have no experience of the rest of Caithness.
I do wish you well tho and hope you find what you are lookin for in the county! (Commutin should not be a problem tho!)

David B
13-Sep-08, 19:50
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Keep the suggestions coming.

I see a bit of Thurso vs Wick banter developing!

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-08, 19:55
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Keep the suggestions coming.

I see a bit of Thurso vs Wick banter developing!

A bit of banter :lol: :lol: Theyre only warming up.

wifie
13-Sep-08, 19:56
A bit of banter :lol: :lol: Theyre only warming up.
Think David was bein diplomatic - he hasna got here yet! [lol]

joxville
13-Sep-08, 20:04
Says the handsomest chap on the Org! ;) Or are you sayin TBH is a campanologist?

Far be it from me to start spreading rumours however I did hear TBH was a bit camp. [lol]

Riffman
13-Sep-08, 20:34
If you are working in Wick, whats the point is wasting petrol driving 20 miles from thurso everyday?

Thurso has an equal share of drunk neds, so I would advise moving a wee bit out of Wick, try Staxigo or Thrumster.

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 15:45
blue touch paper is lit:lol:hear we go wick against thurso,they both have good and bad points,:eek:

Unusually no-one bit!! (Thats the biggest surprise ;))

Tilter
14-Sep-08, 16:52
David B,
The whole of Caithness is very nice. Would you like to buy my house? :)

dook
14-Sep-08, 22:06

Where did you see those stunners? Sun musta been out.

TBH
14-Sep-08, 22:08
Far be it from me to start spreading rumours however I did hear TBH was a bit camp. [lol]I'm a 'Nice Boy' really.;)

blondscot
15-Sep-08, 20:09
i was born and bred in Wick, moved to Glasgow only to return then years later moved to Thurso and now in halkirk but wick is still where i class as being home!! there are good and bad in all areas be in halkirk, wick , thurso or any smaller place it is what you make of it and what you expect of it!

David B
18-Sep-08, 21:42
I'm coming to the conclusion that Wick is the most likely option.

It was the Quasimodo comment which swung it (and I will be working in Wick and can't be bothered commuting any more - I want a relaxed, quiet life again).

This narrows things down a bit. North or South of the river? Any thoughts or opinions.

As an aside, I always thought the A9 went up to Wick but I've just realised that it cuts off and goes to Thurso. You learn something new every day.

TBH
18-Sep-08, 21:51
I'm coming to the conclusion that Wick is the most likely option.

It was the Quasimodo comment which swung it (and I will be working in Wick and can't be bothered commuting any more - I want a relaxed, quiet life again).

This narrows things down a bit. North or South of the river? Any thoughts or opinions.

As an aside, I always thought the A9 went up to Wick but I've just realised that it cuts off and goes to Thurso. You learn something new every day.Probably the Pulteney side, you don't want to mix with the Wickers.[lol]

northener
18-Sep-08, 22:49
I'm coming to the conclusion that Wick is the most likely option..............

This narrows things down a bit. North or South of the river? Any thoughts or opinions...............

Did you know that Wick (North of River) and Pulteneytown (South of River) used to have seperate police forces?

TBH
18-Sep-08, 22:53
As an aside, I always thought the A9 went up to Wick but I've just realised that it cuts off and goes to Thurso. You learn something new every day.The A9 used to go to Wick but now it goes to Thurso so that the tourists can see what it was like living in the dark ages.:D

wifie
18-Sep-08, 23:13
The A9 used to go to Wick but now it goes to Thurso so that the tourists can see what it was like living in the dark ages.:D
So you admit Thurso has more history! [lol]

TBH
18-Sep-08, 23:42
So you admit Thurso has more history! [lol]Of what exactly? They are living it.[lol]

wifie
19-Sep-08, 00:53
Of what exactly? They are living it.[lol]
Living history - very popular these days! ;)

Fran
19-Sep-08, 01:46

I dont think thurso people would be pleased at you calling their town a village!!!!!!

Fran
19-Sep-08, 01:49
I would say wick, especially if you will be working here. i have lived in thurso too. I was an incomer from england nearly 30 years ago.
Wick has airport, railway, hospital, swim pool etc etc, have a look at pictures on here or another web site to see for yourself.

Metalattakk
19-Sep-08, 02:31
Wick is also the last place in Britain to feature a pitched battle involving the British militia - also known as The Battle Of The Orange (http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_audio.jsp?item_id=39485).

(Click on the link and just listen to the absolutely fantastic account (in 5 parts) told by Ian Sutherland of Wick Heritage Museum, back in 1991 - now there's a guy I'd like to have a pint and a natter with! I raise my glass to you, Mr Sutherland, wherever ye are 'e day!)

northener
19-Sep-08, 08:31
I dont think thurso people would be pleased at you calling their town a village!!!!!!

Thurso isn't a town or a village Fran, it's sleeping quarters for the Dounreay slaves.:lol: