PDA

View Full Version : Domestic appliances a love hate relationship??

Kathy@watten
11-Sep-08, 16:17
OK having admitted to half of Caithness and beyond that I am indeed having an affair with my dyson tho at the moment we are having a few issues, thought I would see what other domestic appliance we all love and on the flip side which ones irk us the most...go on the secret is out!

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 16:41
I just love my dishwasher...................:lol:

Its realiable hard working leaves the dishes sparkling and ready for use another day.

I dont have to nag it to wash the dishes or grump when the plates are still dirty. It never uses too much fairy and best of all never ever tells me its not its turn to do the dishes.

Now if only the kids could load it and empty it without excuses it would be heaven.;)

kriklah
11-Sep-08, 16:45
well ive got to admit, i love my dyson too, so much so that when it caught a cold and couldnt manage even the little crumbs, i carefully dismantled it and gave it a bath, and its feeling much better now.

i cant say the same for the toaster, im sure its being unfaithfull. every time i go to use it, the setting has been moved, being either charcoal or aneamic, i take mine midrange,

i have a close relationship with the washing machine and dryer, probably because im loading/unloading both 3-4 times every day, but i think the dishwasher is scizophrenic, i use the same cycle every time, but sometimes it takes 2 hours, other times 20 mins!

joxville
11-Sep-08, 16:56
What's a domestic appliance?

porshiepoo
11-Sep-08, 16:56
Dyson every time. Love it! Best hoover everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
How many of you know of the aftercare service too? Ring Dyson give em your details, tell em you want a service (£55 mind) and then tell them you live rural so it needs collecting (I hate people coming to the house - anti-social I am) and then stick it in Black bags, address it to Dyson and your posty or a courier will pick it up free of charge and return it free of charge in a brand new box to save till next time.
The good thing about the service though is that they will repair everything and service everything except the motor all included in the price.
I've had broken bottom plates on mine, broken or chewed leads, broken hoses and many others and they all get fixed as long as you drop a note in the dust collector part to let them know what the problem is.
Also, take out the top filter and its plastic holder and even take off the dust collector if you want to before you send it off and they'll replace them and then you've got a spare.
They usually get it back to me within the week and although they ask you to put a cheque in the drum I always wait for an invoice.

As for dishwashers - pah!
My 3rd one (just out of it warranty) broke about a month ago and I refuse to buy another. Bloomin brand new Indesit and I'm now having to wash by hand!!!:(

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 16:59
I have to admit my relationship with my tumble dryer ended a few years ago now.

I showed it the door and have never looked back. ;)

The pulley which replaced it has been a much kinder appliance to the clothes and dries everything overnight so has endeared itself to me.:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 17:03

Something that does as its told in the house as soon as its required with no excuses delays moans and groans. Is loved by many and worth its weight in gold.:cool:

joxville
11-Sep-08, 17:10
Something that does as its told in the house as soon as its required with no excuses delays moans and groans. Is loved by many and worth its weight in gold.:cool:

Oh right, I'm with you now. I used to have one of those-it usually answered to the name of Wife. [lol]

teenybash
11-Sep-08, 17:11
I loved my pulley and much preferred it to the tumble dryer but, my OH hated it and took it down....banning me from ever using it again.:~(

Kevin Milkins
11-Sep-08, 19:36
I am not at all fond of dishwashers. I think they are smelly ,expesive to run ,and unnesacery.
I suppose with a large family that live a busy life perhaps ?

With only 2 of us in the house the wife naged me to death for a new dishwasher and just over a year ago I gave in .
Then the fun started as we had to move everything around in the kitchen to accomidate it.:mad:
I have refused point blank from day one to load it as I think it is less work to wash the dishes by hand as I have a back problem and it is no fun bending down to load the thing.
It only gets used now when we have had Sunday dinner and lots of pots to wash.
Room 101 here we come. :D

balto
11-Sep-08, 19:43
[lol]i have to say my washing machine, it really is a love hate relationship, i really love it, but it hates me for what i put it through everyday.lol[lol]

Kenn
11-Sep-08, 19:44
Not sure if they come into this category but the bane of my life is remote controls, can never sort out which one belongs to which piece of equipment or which buttons to press!

Best piece of domestic equipment I have is my electric carpet cleaner, it's noisy but does a great job on the carpets which saves alot of time spotting and scrubbing.

Dishwashers! Never had one don't intend to get one, there are only two os us so would take, based on the amount of crockery,cutlery and bakeware I use in a week, six days to fill it.

Tilter
11-Sep-08, 20:54
I hate all vacuum cleaners. In the past I've beaten them up and killed them. I'm working on the Dyson, which is no less stupid than its forbears. In fact it's more stupid, and I hate hate hate it.

But couldn't live without a dishwasher. Having a dishwasher means there's less mess about.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 20:59
Oh right, I'm with you now. I used to have one of those-it usually answered to the name of Wife. [lol]

OOOOOH brave, brave person beware that appliance usually named Wife is a little more temperamental and unpredictable than all electrical domestic appliances put together..................:eek::lol:

golach
11-Sep-08, 21:06

I think its one of those things, you have in your bedroom, and it makes the tea in the morning.....what is its name? ........Ah Right a Teasmaid [lol]

joxville
11-Sep-08, 22:02
OOOOOH brave, brave person beware that appliance usually named Wife is a little more temperamental and unpredictable than all electrical domestic appliances put together..................:eek::lol:

Yeah, thats true. At least machines don't go temperamental once a month and demand cuddles. [lol]

karia
11-Sep-08, 22:11
Yeah, thats true. At least machines don't go temperamental once a month and demand cuddles. [lol]

Have ye checked yer hearing aid?

' Cuddles' are the last thing we want!;)

Welcomefamily
11-Sep-08, 22:34
Well since I told my wife about the Pixies they stopped coming for the next two weeks, she must of frighten them off. :lol:

As for electrical equipment it has got to be our computers, over the years I can think of any thing including my OH that has given me more stress.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Sep-08, 22:53

Well I can just imagine it now.............nice warm cosy night cuddled up in bed ready for a spot of TLC with the love of your life...........the washing machine ...........:eek:
Best make sure its set for a gentle spin a boil wash maight be the end of you......:lol:

Lolabelle
12-Sep-08, 00:04
I just love my dishwasher...................:lol:

Its realiable hard working leaves the dishes sparkling and ready for use another day.

I dont have to nag it to wash the dishes or grump when the plates are still dirty. It never uses too much fairy and best of all never ever tells me its not its turn to do the dishes.

Now if only the kids could load it and empty it without excuses it would be heaven.;)

Yep me too, that and my Wizz Stick, Breville hand held blender! I love it!!!!
Ofcourse my new beautiful Dyson is the star of the show at the moment, I have to be off now, must vacuum the ceiling, I think I'm turning into Monk! :eek:

TBH
12-Sep-08, 00:11
I wonder if someone mailed themselves to dyson would they get serviced?[lol]

Kevin Milkins
12-Sep-08, 01:15
I hate all vacuum cleaners. In the past I've beaten them up and killed them. I'm working on the Dyson, which is no less stupid than its forbears. In fact it's more stupid, and I hate hate hate it.

But couldn't live without a dishwasher. Having a dishwasher means there's less mess about.

I have a vision of Basil Faulty beating his Austin 1100 with a stick.:lol:lol

Tilter
12-Sep-08, 13:05
I have a vision of Basil Faulty beating his Austin 1100 with a stick.:lol:lol
You would be about right there. Except this particular hoover I jumped up and down on and pulled its tube out till I broke the lot. I'm a meek peaceful person and I don't know why hoovers make me act like this.

loobyloo
12-Sep-08, 13:44
I am not at all fond of dishwashers. I think they are smelly ,expesive to run ,and unnesacery.
I suppose with a large family that live a busy life perhaps ?

With only 2 of us in the house the wife naged me to death for a new dishwasher and just over a year ago I gave in .
Then the fun started as we had to move everything around in the kitchen to accomidate it.:mad:
I have refused point blank from day one to load it as I think it is less work to wash the dishes by hand as I have a back problem and it is no fun bending down to load the thing.
It only gets used now when we have had Sunday dinner and lots of pots to wash.
Room 101 here we come. :D

I agree with you. I was really excited when I got my dishwasher (how sad am I?) but you have to wash the bliddy plates first before you put them in, it stinks and the stuff is never dry at the end of it. To top it off, if you leave the dishes to drip dry, it doesn't work. They seem to have entered some parallel universe where they retain water. I don't know how often I've taken a mug out of the cupboard to be confronted by cooked Weetabix down the inside of it (sometimes forget to closely examine cups before putting them in cupboard: what a slattern). Total and utter waste of money. Grrrr!

rockchick
12-Sep-08, 14:03
Most hated appliance HAS to be the iron...nasty thing...I'd rather have a root canal than iron anything!

Mm most loved appliance is my coffee-maker on a timer. There's nothing like stumbling into the kitchen on a cold and dreich morning to the smell of fresh-brewed coffee. Mmmmmm...!

Thumper
12-Sep-08, 14:49
I love my washing machine,its one of those american toploading ones that can do two stone of washing in one load!It also only takes just over 20mins for a regular wash,saving time,money and hassle!Dishwashers and me on the other hand have a hate relationship,in 6 years I have had 3 :eek: first one went on fire,second one packed in about a week out of warranty and third one died a death not long after its warranty ran out,so I now have a dishwasher that doesnt work but cant take it out cos its a built in one!Oh and my oven decided to pack in on the 23rd Dec...again a built in one and it was a nightmare trying to get one to replace it in time for christmas!x

joxville
12-Sep-08, 17:30
Well I can just imagine it now.............nice warm cosy night cuddled up in bed ready for a spot of TLC with the love of your life...........the washing machine ...........:eek:
Best make sure its set for a gentle spin a boil wash maight be the end of you......:lol:

Actually, I'd rather take the hoover to bed! [lol]

blowfish
12-Sep-08, 21:59
I had a relationship with my toaster and got browned off.

the next relationship was with my washing machine that sent me in a spin

I had a relationship with an iron that made me feel flat

next up was an oven that left me feeling hot and bothered

I had a relatiosnhip then with a microwave that only lasted a few minutes

I had a relationship at the end with a frying pan that just spat.......that was no use.

dook
12-Sep-08, 22:04

I had a relationship at the end with a frying pan that just spat.......that was no use.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha see yah!!!!!!!!!!!

joxville
13-Sep-08, 16:53

Why not look up an old flame...try a fireplace? :D

Alice in Blunderland
13-Sep-08, 21:20
Actually, I'd rather take the hoover to bed! [lol]

If I were to post the thought that came into my head when I first read this I would definately be sent to the org Jail............ :eek: :lol:

Ricco
14-Sep-08, 10:32
Must confess, my favourite appliance is Mrs Ricco. Does all the housework, washes the car and my bike. Never moans, after I raise my finger, and always has my dinner waiting for me.

Just kidding - those that know me will realise that the above is pure fiction and that I do my fair share. ;)

Sapphire2803
14-Sep-08, 11:45
I think top of the list would be my dishwasher, swiftly followed by my Dyson. Of course there'll always be a place in my heart for the washing machine and tumble dryer.

The only machine I hate at the moment isn't a domestic appliance. It's my flippin car. Everytime I fix something on it, something else goes wrong.

joxville
14-Sep-08, 11:48
The only machine I hate at the moment isn't a domestic appliance. It's my flippin car. Everytime I fix something on it, something else goes wrong.

If you're having car trouble then try asking Walter:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=56772 :D

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 14:46
I've had some great times with my washing machine ;) and have had a very pleasant evening with my George Foreman grill! Had some tittilating conversation with the microwave as well.

Sapphire2803
14-Sep-08, 17:34
If you're having car trouble then try asking Walter:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=56772 :D

Bwahahahaha.... Love it!

I've had some great times with my washing machine ;) and have had a very pleasant evening with my George Foreman grill! Had some tittilating conversation with the microwave as well.

The mind boggles....

More importantly though, You said "Tittilating" *points and sniggers*