PDA

View Full Version : council rent

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 19:32
I was wondering ia any-one could answer me this question?
Why is it that if you pay rent on a council house by cash weekly, that for two weeks at Christmas and two weeks in April that you don't have to pay rent, but if you have a standing order set up you do not qualify for the free weeks. It is the same amount you pay weekly whichever payment method you use so it seems that if you pay by standing order you actually pay four weeks more. Surely this can't be right, can it?

landmarker
04-Jan-06, 19:47
It seems ludicrous. I'm not in your area but did used to rent the house we live in now. We got two free weeks at Christmas and another two later in the year. I think this was a gesture by the council because they assumed we were not that well off. We weren't actually so they got that right.Only after the kids grew up & my missus went to work did we turn the corner of relative prosperity.

I'm sure other responders will know the answer but as you are doing the council a favour by paying by d/d they really cannot penalise you in this way.
Maybe cancel your next two weeks d/d and see what happens? If you dont get any joy contact your M.P.

I'm all for 'free weeks' I was gutted when we bought the house and the West Bromwich Building Society seemed unimpressed by the idea.

All is well that ends well. Rent in '76 £8.80 a week. Rent now £65.00 a week.
Mortgage payment £80 a month. Smug? me? never. Good luck to you because your case is a good one./

regards

Alan

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 19:54
What is even more annoying is that if you pay cash and are more than two days late, you are automatically sent a letter fron Inverness...I hate to think how much that is costing the council !!

summer
04-Jan-06, 20:29
I think I can help. You still get 4 weeks free, just at different times of the year, the last 2 weeks in March and first 2 of April. This is because you cant get banks to cancel payments for 2 weeks and then start up again (I dont think)

I wouldn't reccommend cancelling it for those two weeks, as you'd only have to fill out a new one to get it started up again.

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 20:34
I think I can help. You still get 4 weeks free, just at different times of the year, the last 2 weeks in March and first 2 of April. This is because you cant get banks to cancel payments for 2 weeks and then start up again (I dont think)

I wouldn't reccommend cancelling it for those two weeks, as you'd only have to fill out a new one to get it started up again.Thanks summer, I wish I had been advised of this when I set it up..

shrek_donkey
04-Jan-06, 21:30
My advise would be get a mortgage far cheaper than rent. i was paying the council £60 a week and now only paying £35 to the mortgage .what a saving best thing i ever did .

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 21:33
My advise would be get a mortgage far cheaper than rent. i was paying the council £60 a week and now only paying £35 to the mortgage .what a saving best thing i ever did .I am actually in the process of buying my house. You're right, the rent is ridiculous...

EDDIE
04-Jan-06, 21:37
I think its fair to say that the council in general works in strange ways.

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 21:45
Another thing that really annoys me is when you see a couple of pensioners sitting in a three or four bedroomed house, when people with three or four kids are packed into a two bedroomed house. Surely when peoples kids leave home, if they are in a council house, they should begiven a smaller house and the bigger ones kept for families..

shrek_donkey
04-Jan-06, 21:52
Well said i know of a father an son who live four bedrom house that they rent of the council .And a mate of mine was suck in a two bedroom flat with two kids . there system is all to tosh .

Geo
04-Jan-06, 22:13
I've never heard of getting any weeks off. Is there a reason for it?

connieb19
04-Jan-06, 22:18
I've never heard of getting any weeks off. Is there a reason for it?I don't know what the reason is but its always been the case, as long as I can remember anyway...:)

angela5
04-Jan-06, 22:37
I've never heard of getting any weeks off. Is there a reason for it?

I don't know the reason i'm afraid i never questioned it, but i was a council tenant for 6 years and always got 4 weeks rent free.

Connie, you should make an enquiry with the council i am sure if this is a mistake they will refund you. good luck

Also i agree on your point about couples remaining in large homes after their families have flown the nest, maybe the council should revise their policy's about this one.
Too many young couples with 3/4 children are living in cramp conditions and the problem is only there because the larger homes are taking up by people who no longer need them.

angela5
04-Jan-06, 23:36
What is even more annoying is that if you pay cash and are more than two days late, you are automatically sent a letter fron Inverness...I hate to think how much that is costing the council !!

I once was 4 days late i only missed it because i was ill and off work i got a visit from someone at the council asking when i was paying my arrears :eek: .

JAWS
05-Jan-06, 00:30
pooh pooh, tell them you are a chain-smoker and cannot last more than 30 minutes without a cigarette.
That should stop them pestering over being a few days late! ;)

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 00:33
pooh pooh, tell them you are a chain-smoker and cannot last more than 30 minutes without a cigarette.
That should stop them pestering over being a few days late! ;)Thats a very good answer, I think I might give it a try myself...:)

crashbandicoot1979
05-Jan-06, 10:28
Council tenants don't actually get "rent free" weeks as such - its just that the yearly rent is calculated over 48 weeks instead of 52 so technically rent is still being charged. Not sure why they do this though - I guess the 2 "free" weeks at christmas are due to the office being shut but haven't a clue why they have 2 in April.

ice box
05-Jan-06, 10:43
Council tenants don't actually get "rent free" weeks as such - its just that the yearly rent is calculated over 48 weeks instead of 52 so technically rent is still being charged. Not sure why they do this though - I guess the 2 "free" weeks at christmas are due to the office being shut but haven't a clue why they have 2 in April.
Because it is the start of the new financial year i think.

AR
05-Jan-06, 15:04
A friend of mine never used to get free weeks when he had a council house, he gave it up in june 04. He was in the house for 5 years and at first payed by dd, but after a bank mistake changed to getting his mum to pay it weekly for the last year he stayed there and latterly he found out they owed him a fortnights rent, which took 3 months to refund!

erli
05-Jan-06, 21:51
Another thing that really annoys me is when you see a couple of pensioners sitting in a three or four bedroomed house, when people with three or four kids are packed into a two bedroomed house. Surely when peoples kids leave home, if they are in a council house, they should begiven a smaller house and the bigger ones kept for families..

Why should someone be asked to leave their home, some of these pensioners have been there all their married lives, raised their families and have many happy memories.
They shouldn't have to give up their homes, and go through all the stress of moving and decorating just because they don't have their families there.
It's not just a house, it's their home.

Fran
06-Jan-06, 00:25
Why should someone be asked to leave their home, some of these pensioners have been there all their married lives, raised their families and have many happy memories.
They shouldn't have to give up their homes, and go through all the stress of moving and decorating just because they don't have their families there.
when children leave the nest they do not always get married or their relationship breaks down etc etc, so they still have a home. I would like to think that my children would still class my house as home, eben though they have their own. I was brought up to believe that home is where your mother is.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 00:28
when children leave the nest they do not always get married or their relationship breaks down etc etc, so they still have a home. I would like to think that my children would still class my house as home, eben though they have their own. I was brought up to believe that home is where your mother is.I suppose then, some-one with four young kids will be nice and cosy in a two bedroomed house.

Fran
06-Jan-06, 00:29
Not all children get married when they leave the nest, or their relationships break down etc etc, so at least they still have a home to go to. I would like to think that my children think of my house as home even though they have their own, as it is here if needed. I was always brought up to beleive that home is where your mother is!!!!!

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 00:33
Not all children get married when they leave the nest, or their relationships break down etc etc, so at least they still have a home to go to. I would like to think that my children think of my house as home even though they have their own, as it is here if needed. I was always brought up to beleive that home is where your mother is!!!!!My mother told me when I left home"you've made your bed and you'll lie in it".
Why don't all these kids buy their parents council house for them if they see it as "home"?

ice box
06-Jan-06, 00:42
So tell me erli why should a young familys have to be stuck in a 2 bedroom upstairs flat with 3 year old toddler and a weekold infant and yet you have father and son in a 4 bedroom house to them selfs on sitting on the brew

angela5
06-Jan-06, 00:53

This is why the council have a problem with trying to house families who have several children and living in cramp conditions, pensioners should move to a smaller home they are no longer in need of a large home wether it holds memories or not, i'm not being harse in saying that but imagine the stress on a couple with 3 children in a 2 bedroomed room.
As for decorating and moving there is plenty help out there with this for pensioners.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 01:01
I was one of them that got told you made your bed now lie in it . i moved out when i was just 17 and i wouldnt go back for love nor money

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 01:06
I was one of them that got told you made your bed now lie in it . i moved out when i was just 17 and i wouldnt go back for love nor moneyI moved out at 16 and changed my mind after a few months. I just assumed I could move back only to discover they had moved to a smaller house!!

angela5
06-Jan-06, 01:08
So tell me erli why should a young familys have to be stuck in a 2 bedroom upstairs flat with 3 year old toddler and a weekold infant and yet you have father and son in a 4 bedroom house to them selfs on sitting on the brew

I remember a friend of mine was in a 2 bedroomed flat with 2 kids not much fun pulling a pram upstairs, i feel sorry for your friend ice-box i hope they are giving a home soon.

angela5
06-Jan-06, 01:10
I moved out at 16 and changed my mind after a few months. I just assumed I could move back only to discover they had moved to a smaller house!!

Thats maybe why some are stubborn and stay put.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 01:12
Looks like you had to take the hint then when you tried going back . What a bummer . O sorry did you get back home then ?

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 01:17
Looks like you had to take the hint then when you tried going back . What a bummer . O sorry did you get back home then ?No way...I was allowed visits, that was it. It seemed hard at the time but they helped me out a lot with my house when I got it and im thankful to this day because it made me more independant and I knew where they were if I ever needed them. This idea of pensioners holding on to big houses for their grown up families i ridiculous.... Give them to the young families who need them!!

ice box
06-Jan-06, 01:17
It wasnt a friend it was me and the misses and we did get offered a house it was a week before xmas and we truned down and just went and bought a house in stead far cheaper than paying £60 a week thank for asking

angela5
06-Jan-06, 01:20
It wasnt a friend it was me and the misses and we did get offered a house it was a week before xmas and we truned down and just went and bought a house in stead far cheaper than paying £60 a week thank for asking

:o Sorry ice-box i picked it up wrong glad you are now settled.

connieb19
06-Jan-06, 01:24
It wasnt a friend it was me and the misses and we did get offered a house it was a week before xmas and we truned down and just went and bought a house in stead far cheaper than paying £60 a week thank for askingI pay £60 a week rent too. I wonder if these pensioners had to pay full rent would they be a bit quicker to move then?

ice box
06-Jan-06, 01:26
Should try sticking the council in a two bedroom flat with two young bairns and see what it's like maybe they will do somthing then . instead of saying theres nothing yet when there houses lying emtpy all over the town .

erli
06-Jan-06, 14:00

I myself have 3 children, and I am a single Mum in an upstairs flat, but I'm not complaining. Yes, I would like somewhere bigger, but I don't think anyone should be made to leave their home even if they are claiming benefits.

ice box
06-Jan-06, 14:14
I myself have 3 children, and I am a single Mum in an upstairs flat, but I'm not complaining. Yes, I would like somewhere bigger, but I don't think anyone should be made to leave their home even if they are claiming benefits.
Iam not implying that they should be kick out of there home but should swap to a littler house and give the young family were the space is needed

Alice in Blunderland
06-Jan-06, 15:10
When I lived south the council operated a system of sending out letters to people in houses bigger than they needed offering them a swap into smaller houses.To relieve the fianancial burden they were given help with the costs of moving decorating and carpeting as it was helping the council out by them agreeing to move.I know some people thought it was a waste of tax payers money but it worked,many people just didnt think about downsizing until this option was offered to them.

AR
07-Jan-06, 17:28
I dont think my grandmother would be able to cope with a upstairs flat, nor would a lot, not all, of pensioners. My granny finds it very akward going up to the attic in her bugalow. I think a young family would find trips up and down stairs more bearable than a lot of elderly people but all situations are diffrent.
There are plenty of empty houses in Kennedy Terrace i notice, with lovely boarded up windows, downstairs and upstairs ones.

angela5
07-Jan-06, 17:45
I dont think my grandmother would be able to cope with a upstairs flat, nor would a lot, not all, of pensioners. My granny finds it very akward going up to the attic in her bugalow. I think a young family would find trips up and down stairs more bearable than a lot of elderly people but all situations are diffrent.
There are plenty of empty houses in Kennedy Terrace i notice, with lovely boarded up windows, downstairs and upstairs ones.

young people are fit to go up and down flat stairs more than pensioners?? imagine the struggle trudging home with a pram loaded with shopping and 2 squawling kids hanging off your hips, then you've to face the stairs what goes up first i wonder? try this order, 2 squawling kids and the baby, all the way back down the stairs, all the way back up with loads of shopping bags, all the way back down the stairs, all the way back up with the pram. :eek: the 2 squawling kids in that time have torn open your shopping bags munched a few items and made a mess. bearable i wonder? i certainly would not enjoy this daily struggle.
yes i did notice those lovely boarded up houses in Kennedy terrace.

AR
07-Jan-06, 17:59
As I said all cases are different.Mabey the council should build more sinle storey semis, but that would be sensible and they wont do that.

philupmaboug
07-Jan-06, 17:59
Don't you think that some old folk may struggle with keeping a large house clean and warm? and if they were swapped to smaller homes near like minded and aged people that they may be safer and have more friends to make and talk to?

angela5
07-Jan-06, 18:07
Don't you think that some old folk may struggle with keeping a large house clean and warm? and if they were swapped to smaller homes near like minded and aged people that they may be safer and have more friends to make and talk to?

I agree they would be struggling to keep larger homes warm, whats the point in being in a large house struggling to heat 2/3 bedrooms that they are not using, there is a few areas in wick that have several one bedroomed homes on the one level that are designed for pensioners.

AR
07-Jan-06, 18:08
Pilupmaboug, i would have never thought of putting it that way, it seems a good idea, especially for cities

angela5
07-Jan-06, 18:09
Pilupmaboug, i would have never thought of putting it that way, it seems a good idea, especially for cities

why cities? caithness has a problem with a shortage of larger homes,
Overcrowded homes is the biggest problem.

AR
07-Jan-06, 18:40
I meant from the safety point of view, i wasnt thinking futher than that. I was told that the council were changing a few of the flats in Kennedy to larger homes for larger families, but i suppose its only a start

krieve
07-Jan-06, 18:58
young people are fit to go up and down flat stairs more than pensioners?? imagine the struggle trudging home with a pram loaded with shopping and 2 squawling kids hanging off your hips, then you've to face the stairs what goes up first i wonder? try this order, 2 squawling kids and the baby, all the way back down the stairs, all the way back up with loads of shopping bags, all the way back down the stairs, all the way back up with the pram. :eek: the 2 squawling kids in that time have torn open your shopping bags munched a few items and made a mess. bearable i wonder? i certainly would not enjoy this daily struggle.
yes i did notice those lovely boarded up houses in Kennedy terrace.
I know how that feels it aint very nice trying to get a hardbodied silvercross pram upstairs with a baby and a toddler and loads of shopping. I started hating having to go down the street,
in the end it nackered my pram having to take it up and down the stairs the whole time.It's not good for you either when you have just had a c-section we had enough of waiting for a bigger house so decided to buy one. The best thing we ever did that was nearly 3 years ago would'nt go back to that flat what a nightmare.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Jan-06, 18:59
I also have heard this but the rent is going to be very expensive.I know someone who was offered one of the already converted houses and just couldnt afford the rent so stayed put.

angela5
07-Jan-06, 19:02
I also have heard this but the rent is going to be very expensive.I know someone who was offered one of the already converted houses and just couldnt afford the rent so stayed put.

i heard the rent for one of those converted houses in kennedy is bordering on £85 :eek: , no way would i pay that. Thats ok if you are on social benefits where it is paid for you along with your council tax. By the tax payers as always.

jay
09-Jan-06, 22:54
as I see it this all comes down to choice. I think it would be good idea if the council did offer pensioners an option to move - but only if they want to, especially if they assisted with the costs but I really don't think they should be forced or made to feel bad about staying in a house they've lived in for years, probably modernised, created the gardens etc etc not to mention the fact that they very probably have lived beside the same people for years and are happy there, think how heartless it would be for example, for an elderly lady, kids all grown up and very possibly moved away, recently widowed, to be told she has to move away from her friends, neighbours and memories as well- giving them the choice is fine, - exactly as it is fine that younger people have the choice to have however many kids they want to, whenever they want to no matter their circumstances (and that is not a critisism!)

My mother had her first children when she lived in an army nissan hut before moving to a top floor tenement and eventually a three bedroom house - I think she's earned the right to see out her days in the house she's lived in for 50 years

melted_wellie
09-Jan-06, 23:25
It seems ludicrous. I'm not in your area but did used to rent the house we live in now. We got two free weeks at Christmas and another two later in the year. I think this was a gesture by the council because they assumed we were not that well off. We weren't actually so they got that right.Only after the kids grew up & my missus went to work did we turn the corner of relative prosperity.

I'm sure other responders will know the answer but as you are doing the council a favour by paying by d/d they really cannot penalise you in this way.
Maybe cancel your next two weeks d/d and see what happens? If you dont get any joy contact your M.P.

I'm all for 'free weeks' I was gutted when we bought the house and the West Bromwich Building Society seemed unimpressed by the idea.

All is well that ends well. Rent in '76 £8.80 a week. Rent now £65.00 a week.
Mortgage payment £80 a month. Smug? me? never. Good luck to you because your case is a good one./

regards

Alan£80 quid a month for your mortgage? what you livin in? a shed?

JAWS
09-Jan-06, 23:37
£80 quid a month for your mortgage? what you livin in? a shed?

In 1976 you could buy a decent sized Semi in a nice area for eight grand, and the rest, as they say, is down to inflation.

lassieinfife
09-Jan-06, 23:51

Its just 4 walls, memories are in your heart and mind........... time people downsized when their famlies have left home and give the up and coming famlies a chance. People should try remembering what it was like themselves raising a family in a room and kitchen....sorry if that sounds harsh but how would you like to raise your family that way?

erli
10-Jan-06, 00:01
Its just 4 walls, memories are in your heart and mind........... time people downsized when their famlies have left home and give the up and coming famlies a chance. People should try remembering what it was like themselves raising a family in a room and kitchen....sorry if that sounds harsh but how would you like to raise your family that way?
As I have already said in a previous post, I live in an upstairs flat with 3 children, so I think I understand about lack of space.

angela5
10-Jan-06, 00:08
As I have already said in a previous post, I live in an upstairs flat with 3 children, so I think I understand about lack of space.

Are you not interested in moving to a larger home? what if it was offered to you?

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 00:12
What I can't understand is..if an old person can't manage an upstairs flat, then why would they want a house with 3 or 4 upstairs bedrooms?:confused:

erli
10-Jan-06, 00:22
Are you not interested in moving to a larger home? what if it was offered to you?

yes, I would like somewhere bigger. The point I was making was not about me needing more room. It was about people having the right to stay in their homes as long as they wish.

angela5
10-Jan-06, 00:26
yes, I would like somewhere bigger. The point I was making was not about me needing more room. It was about people having the right to stay in their homes as long as they wish.

Memories are stored in your mind and photo albums i'm afraid.

Most pensioners struggle to cope with the stairs especially if they have a disability, a small home on 1 level is ideal.

Fran
10-Jan-06, 01:46
Maybe council tenants in a big house would like something smaller and would do a council exchange. there are lists in the council offices.
I think offering someone the costs of their expenses etc to move to a smaller house would be a great idea. but disabled and old people who have no one to help them would never manage to pack etc, they would need manual help to move, if that was included i thinka lot of people would move to a smaller place.

angela5
10-Jan-06, 02:04
Maybe council tenants in a big house would like something smaller and would do a council exchange. there are lists in the council offices.
I think offering someone the costs of their expenses etc to move to a smaller house would be a great idea. but disabled and old people who have no one to help them would never manage to pack etc, they would need manual help to move, if that was included i thinka lot of people would move to a smaller place.

Now there's a job for the people on community service.

connieb19
10-Jan-06, 02:06
Now there's a job for the people on community service.Then they definately wouldn't move!!....lol

angela5
10-Jan-06, 02:12
Then they definately wouldn't move!!....lol

hahahahaha. funny connie.

jay
10-Jan-06, 09:37
just a thought - okay we move all these pensioners who are taking up space in family houses, what happens then? families move in, decide the rent is to expensive and they would be better off with a mortgage (as previously stated on this thread) they buy the house thereby removing it from the equation altogether as it is now permanently not available for any other large family. So in reality would it not then be as fair to say that tennants in family sized council houses should not have the right to buy them? takes us back several decades eh?