PDA

View Full Version : So Near Yet So Far - (almost) new book out

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-08, 11:15
Orgers and Organisms,

I might have mentioned this on here before, but, finally, the book I've ghost-written on Jim Watters and his Irish showband, The Viceroys, is set for a Guy Fawkes Night release. It's called So Near Yet So Far and the launch will be held - hopefully - at the Waverly Bar in Edinburgh.

For those who don't know, the book is about Jim's life spent performing, managing and touring with the band during the 60s and 70s. Full of ups and downs, near brushes with fame and fortune, as well as experiencing tragedy along the way, for anyone interested in the showband era, or just a passing interest in music, it's a sweet, easy-to-follow book.

There is a chapter within the book where Thurso and Orkney are the main focus - you should be able to find it over on his website www.freewebs.com/theviceroys. Perhaps someone here remembers the band?

Here is a link to a piece I did with Jim recently:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-...86908-20729682/

Jim is self-publishing the book via Lulu.com (big thumbs up to James McVean there for all his help, by-ra-way!), so once it's officially online I will provide the weblink to the storefront, should anyone be interested in buying the book.

Cheers. Spam over. :)

Torvaig
11-Sep-08, 11:55
I never saw the band but I have heard of them. I was a quiet country teuchter who didn't get out much in those days and certainly never to Thurso! I remember going to the Maurice Lynch shows but that was all. Would have been good to have heard the Viceroys.....

I am presuming that what is available to read has not been proofed yet and if it has, a re-read wouldn't go amiss. I wish Jim and yourself well with the book and I'm sure there are a lot of leftover rockers from the 60's and 70's who will enjoy reminiscing with him.

Well done Pepsi.....:)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-08, 12:38
I never saw the band but I have heard of them. I was a quiet country teuchter who didn't get out much in those days and certainly never to Thurso! I remember going to the Maurice Lynch shows but that was all. Would have been good to have heard the Viceroys.....

I am presuming that what is available to read has not been proofed yet and if it has, a re-read wouldn't go amiss. I wish Jim and yourself well with the book and I'm sure there are a lot of leftover rockers from the 60's and 70's who will enjoy reminiscing with him.

Well done Pepsi.....:)

Thanks, Torvaig. Quite a few people (from Caithness) have told me they remember The Viceroys, though not many actually remember seeing them play live, sadly.

Funnily enough I received my test copy of the book this morning, so now begins the long, tedious proofing process.

Jim's responsible for what goes on his website, but I've noticed in previous Freewebs experience, that, when you upload text to the Blog section, quite often words get sandwiched together: kindof like this ifyou see what I mean. I'll get Jim to sort out the gremlins.

By the way, how are you getting on regards funding at Lyth Arts? Any joy?

Torvaig
11-Sep-08, 13:37
There have been various meetings taking place which hopefully will have a postive outcome for the centre. We cannot give up now after being established for so long as a place of note in and outwith Caithness.

The exhibitions are over for this year but there is plenty going on over the coming months e.g. Sept., The Scottish Opera, Latin dance tuition/ Orkestra Del Sol and Carol Sutherland is again doing courses on the saxophone which are proving very popular indeed.

http://www.lytharts.org.uk/cms/RunScript.asp?page=1&p=ASP\Pg1.asp

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Sep-08, 13:49
I sympathise with your plight. I was hoping to attend the TMSA's protest at the Scottish Parliament last week in view of the cuts, but couldn't get along. Orkestra Del Sol are brilliant by the way, i like them a lot. If you're looking for other acts - and acts who can cajole local kids and adults into attending workshops - why not contact my partner Shona's band, The Shee? Shona won the 2006 BBC Trad Musician of the Year award, and they've collaborated with Bob Dylan and Alison Krauss's producer, Bil VornDik. They sold out their shows at the Sidmouth Folk Festival recently and are supporting their debut album by touring in late October. Am sure they might be persuaded to come up and play for you? They quite often hold workshops, as they play a wide range of instruments: fiddle, electric harp, flute, mandolin, accordian, even clog-dancing. Let me know what you think.

Valerie Campbell
11-Sep-08, 14:20
Congratulations and best of luck with the book!

balto
11-Sep-08, 20:38
congratulations on your book, hope you hve a succesfull lunch.