PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME help!!!!!!!!!!!

porshiepoo
04-Jan-06, 15:18
Got a problem wth my oper5ating system at the mo and need any help desperately. Basically I'm having untold probs with everything. I have pop ups appearing every minute or so even though my spam and pop up blockers on, I have things trying to download themselves at the same rate, I can't get my email even though I can open microsoft outlook, I can't get onto my wanadoo home page as default (I've tried changing the settings but it appears to have disappeared, even though I still log onto the net through wanadoo) and thats just some of the probs with the net.
On every day running - scan disk keeps getting interupted unless I do an improper shut down then it runs ok, but this means I can't run a proper thorough scan check, defrag won't work either (it looks as though it's doing something but doesn't), restart won't work, I keep getting run time error message 429 at start up plus a multitude of other probs.

I have the reinstallation disc and I can get it to start, it then says it's gonna restart and does but then nothing, it's as though the disc isn't in.

Any help pleeeaaase, I'm getting quite cheesed off now.
I've tried Gateway(computer brand) over the net but I'm even having trouble with that now. I've tried all the microsoft networks I can but as I can't recieve email I'm struggling there. Talking on the phone to them would be no good as I'd never get it right when they tell me what to do.

Are there any computer wizzes out there that can help? I just want to completely re-install the os now, I've backed up everything I need so that should be ok and I've checked to make sure the BIOS is booting from the cd first and it is.

Desperate, desperate, desperate now.

Oh, happy new year, how it was a good one!

lassieinfife
04-Jan-06, 16:13
can only help with popups.............. go to control panel open administrive tools then services.... scroll down to messinger then right click on it in general change start uo type to disable then click ok

sounds like u need to format puter ......so save everything u need to disc then reformat ... puts puter back to factory settings

Jeid
04-Jan-06, 16:31
If you really need to install the operating system again, make sure you have drivers for all your hardware. Make sure everything you want to keep is backed up.

Its probably ad-aware of some sort thats messing things up for you. Personally I'd recommend a registry clean(get a program to do this as messing with your registry is not a fun game to play) I have one here if your in desperate need.

Gimme a PM and I might be able to help further

J

EDDIE
04-Jan-06, 18:00
You should try using a spyware software to remove the infected files you will get a shock at how much spyware virus u have on your computer without reliseing.A firewall doesnt give much protection against spyware bugs failing that you will have to re install windows again.

robbain
04-Jan-06, 18:21
Got a problem wth my oper5ating system at the mo and need any help desperately. Basically I'm having untold probs with everything. I have pop ups appearing every minute or so even though my spam and pop up blockers on, I have things trying to download themselves at the same rate, I can't get my email even though I can open microsoft outlook, I can't get onto my wanadoo home page as default (I've tried changing the settings but it appears to have disappeared, even though I still log onto the net through wanadoo) and thats just some of the probs with the net.
On every day running - scan disk keeps getting interupted unless I do an improper shut down then it runs ok, but this means I can't run a proper thorough scan check, defrag won't work either (it looks as though it's doing something but doesn't), restart won't work, I keep getting run time error message 429 at start up plus a multitude of other probs.

I have the reinstallation disc and I can get it to start, it then says it's gonna restart and does but then nothing, it's as though the disc isn't in.

Any help pleeeaaase, I'm getting quite cheesed off now.
I've tried Gateway(computer brand) over the net but I'm even having trouble with that now. I've tried all the microsoft networks I can but as I can't recieve email I'm struggling there. Talking on the phone to them would be no good as I'd never get it right when they tell me what to do.

Are there any computer wizzes out there that can help? I just want to completely re-install the os now, I've backed up everything I need so that should be ok and I've checked to make sure the BIOS is booting from the cd first and it is.

Desperate, desperate, desperate now.

Oh, happy new year, how it was a good one!

What program do you have for virus protection - as for looking on to wanadoo try typing in www.freeserve.co.uk this should take you direct to Wanadoo, I do this sometimes if the wanadoo default doesn't work as for emails for outlook check tools then accounts and go to Mail tab to see if the wanadoo mail appears if not click add type in pop.wanadoo.co.uk it will then ask for name ie your name type it in then go to email address type it in then it will ask for your password. You may have the same problem I had with the backup disc if it is a floppy you may have problems I had to ask the maker of the PC to get a CD version of it, the cure the problem. Defrag is another problem as well I have seen myself leaving the PC on all day. Nothing happens, it possibly depends on how much software is in the PC. Make sure you are not on the internet when you do a scan disk check.

garycs
04-Jan-06, 21:16
I can recommend Avast as a anti-virus and anti-spyware tools, it's a free download for private use at www.avast.com ; sorted out trouble I had despite already running Norton Antivirus

Problem sounds like it could be a virus so I would attack it from that angle before going through the hassle of a reformat and installation.

EDDIE
04-Jan-06, 22:48
Well i used to use norton but i have switched over to mcafee antivirus i think norton takes over to much of the operating system and slows the computer down and i dont think norton is as good as what it used to be.But i must point out that spyware remover software is more important to have than antivirus software nowadays

jjc
04-Jan-06, 23:25
But i must point out that spyware remover software is more important to have than antivirus software nowadays Woah there Eddie, that's not true.

It's true that spyware blockers are important, but you're missing the essential difference between spyware and a virus - a virus is self-replicating. If you don't bother with a virus scanner you are not only going to get yourself infected (eventually), you are also going to infect others. Those could be people from your mail program’s address book, others on your office network or just a random bunch of people online, but you will still infect them. Then there’s the chance that the virus you have (and pass on) has been written to capture personal information (such as login details for banking websites) or is part of an organised denial of service attack that will use your PC to attack a specific IP address. No, you can’t say that AV software is not as important as a spyware blocker – you should have them both.

Anyway, for what it’s worth I use Microsoft’s AntiSpyware software (available free from Microsoft.com) and McAfee VirusScan.

I use Microsoft AntiSpyware because of all the spyware software I’ve tried it (not surprisingly) integrates the best with Windows.

I use McAfee for my AV software because I was a big fan of Dr Solomon’s and McAfee bought them over specifically to get their hands on the Dr Solomon’s engine. It’s still the best I’ve used because it’s the least obtrusive.

Also for what it’s worth… Porshiepoo, it sounds more like adware than a virus – get yourself over to Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en) and download their AntiSpyware software. Run a full scan and see if that doesn’t sort your problem.

Good luck,

JJC

porshiepoo
04-Jan-06, 23:45
Thanks for all the replies, I'm frantically trying different things but I'm even having trouble finding this thread now, and then when I do find it it doesn't show me the latest threads, I've had to go round the houses just to get the replies. I'm not even sure that this answer will appear because I can't actually find the topic that I started, I have to find it through my user cp and then click on names for the replies.

I've tried a downloaded anti virus and it found the trojan horse in bucket loads, it's managed to clear all but three. I then tried the avast download as someone mentioned but it found nothing.
I have the norton professional anti virus but I eventually managed to remove it cos it slowed the system down.
I've tried to restore back but I um didn't create a restore point. oops!
It still won't read the recovery disc from either this computer or one from my other computer on the same OS.
So now I'm gonna try JJC advice and if that doesn't work I'm gonna go to the log shed and bring back my hubbies sledge hammer and fix the damn thing myself. lol.

Anyway thanks for all the advice, keep it coming I'll try anything!

Doolally
04-Jan-06, 23:48
I agree totally with jjc, it's most likely spyware that causing the problems rather than a virus. Viruses generally don't try to open pop-up windows whereas spyware does.

I've seen PCs running many hundreds of small spyware programs at a time without the user realising it until the PC is running so slow they can't do much with it.

I'd recommend http://www.lavasoft.com/

Download Ad-aware SE Personal from there and run it and I'm sure the problems will go away.

If you can't get as far as downloading it, then maybe someone can stick a spyware program on a CD for you to run. Let us know.

If you still get the error message 429, can you give the full error as it could be one or two things.

Doolally
04-Jan-06, 23:50
I must've posted my message at the same time as you, sorry for the confusion.

Sometimes a hammer works best and if you're still running ME, maybe it's time for a change anyway!

royce52
05-Jan-06, 15:11
I must've posted my message at the same time as you, sorry for the confusion.

Sometimes a hammer works best and if you're still running ME, maybe it's time for a change anyway!

I bought a computer several years ago that came with ME,,,poor machine Never ran right. XP-Pro runs rather well,,,had problems with XP-Home. Only way to get rid of ME or XP-Home is to reformat the hard drive....

R

scorrie
05-Jan-06, 16:29
Have you disabled system restore?

Many of the problems will keep coming back if the system restore is enabled. I have run AVG on a windows ME computer, found the viruses but after reboot they were back again. With system restore disabled and the PC rebooted, AVG found no infections.

porshiepoo
05-Jan-06, 20:38
Doolally the 429 error says 'Run time error 429, active x component can't create object.' Any ideas??

Scorrie, System restore was disabled by myself and I tried that hoping things might get better, I've enabled it back again now.

This is the second computer I've had with ME, the first one was terrible but I thought it was fluke. Seems not?
I'm tempted to reinstall it with 98 - is that possible? Having said that I can't even get the computer to reinstall ME so I don't fancy my chances with 98.

I've tried some kind of registry checker and it seems to think I have corrupted? registry files, is this something other than spyware?

Anyone know of any decent people that can fix the bloomin thing and not charge an arm and a leg for it??

Thanks for all your help.

connieb19
05-Jan-06, 20:42
Doolally the 429 error says 'Run time error 429, active x component can't create object.' Any ideas??

Scorrie, System restore was disabled by myself and I tried that hoping things might get better, I've enabled it back again now.

This is the second computer I've had with ME, the first one was terrible but I thought it was fluke. Seems not?
I'm tempted to reinstall it with 98 - is that possible? Having said that I can't even get the computer to reinstall ME so I don't fancy my chances with 98.

I've tried some kind of registry checker and it seems to think I have corrupted? registry files, is this something other than spyware?

Anyone know of any decent people that can fix the bloomin thing and not charge an arm and a leg for it??

Thanks for all your help.Jek-tec - the bloke that has jek-tek is good. He advertises in the Groat and Courier.

royce52
07-Jan-06, 17:07
Doolally the 429 error sayscorrupted? registry files, is this something other than spyware?

Thanks for all your help.

Who ever you take it to, bite the bullet and have them reformat the hard drive and install XP-Pro...life will be at least somewhat more pleasant after that...well until the credit card bill comes in.

You might also ask them about maxing out the RAM,,memory has come way down in price these days.

R

DW
07-Jan-06, 17:18
This is the home of the best and least intrusive anti-virus programme
http://free.grisoft.com/

It is great, unlike Norton etc which just clogs up everything.

Tuppence worth delivered.:lol:

Doolally
07-Jan-06, 19:20
Who ever you take it to, bite the bullet and have them reformat the hard drive and install XP-Pro...life will be at least somewhat more pleasant after that...well until the credit card bill comes in.

You might also ask them about maxing out the RAM,,memory has come way down in price these days.

R

XP is better than ME but there's no point in biting the bullet if the PC is too old to handle it in terms of CPU speed and also the size of hard drive installed which it needs to run on.

You may find you're better off with a newer system.

Doolally
07-Jan-06, 19:21
Porshiepooh,

You may find this page of benefit with the 429 error - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260885

EDDIE
07-Jan-06, 19:27
XP is better than ME but there's no point in biting the bullet if the PC is too old to handle it in terms of CPU speed and also the size of hard drive installed which it needs to run on.

You may find you're better off with a newer system.

Very true and your cheaper to buy another tower system than to buy xp software and upgrade componets to make it run properly and quickly

porshiepoo
07-Jan-06, 22:14
Hi everyone.I've managed to get some of the system restored. I downloaded loads of stuff from microsoft and it seems to have done the trick.The only problem I can't work out is that when I downloaded one of these things it seemed to stop me being able to get any pictures, I just get the red crosses in the boxes. Any ideas? I have made sure that pictures are enabled in the internet options bit so I'm stumped.Thanks for everything.