PDA

View Full Version : woes of my dyson!

Kathy@watten
10-Sep-08, 19:26
OMG I have been having a nightmare few days I have parted company with my dyson as it seems to be having issues with its job....sooking up dirt, I have cleaned it all out, washed all the filters and checked for blockages....alll fine but still no pith, I could sook more dirt up myself on all fours....so what now? where locally could sort this dilema for me I hate not being able to hoover daily, it's about the only domestic chore I like...help please or I may have to revert to dusting and that just wouldn't do!:(

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 19:41
would Graham Beggs not be able to assist...........Oooooh I can feel a duster hovering..:)

mama2
10-Sep-08, 19:47
Try Colin Chessor, 33 High Street, Thurso 01847 891963

Rheghead
10-Sep-08, 19:51
OMG I have been having a nightmare few days I have parted company with my dyson as it seems to be having issues with its job....sooking up dirt, I have cleaned it all out, washed all the filters and checked for blockages....alll fine but still no pith, I could sook more dirt up myself on all fours....so what now? where locally could sort this dilema for me I hate not being able to hoover daily, it's about the only domestic chore I like...help please or I may have to revert to dusting and that just wouldn't do!:(

Dyson have an excellent dispatch and repair service. It applies to all models as far as I know, read your manual for details or go to website. I sent off mine for repair, it was picked up at my house by a courier and I had it back within just a few days via dedicated courier. I think some repairs are free on the lifetime guarantee.

One thing you could try in the meantime is wash out the foam filter as this gets blocked with fine dust, especially coal or peat ash. It may not even look dirty but it could be.

Highland lad
10-Sep-08, 19:55
When our Dyson lost suction Dyson themselves told us to take the cyclone part outside and bang it on the ground, this would get all the dust that was stuck in there out. We thought this seemed a bit drastic but it seemed to work.

Maybe you should phone dyson.

STUDMUFFIN
10-Sep-08, 20:06
inside the cyclone, dust and debris collects so "gently" tap the centre piece on the floor and you will be amazed at what comes out

the charlatans
10-Sep-08, 20:11
I can't get over the bit where you said you hoovered daily.....

okay, my hoover (a Bosch) is working fine and i've just changed the bag this morning so please feel free to come round daily to my house if you have this desperate urge to hoover somewhere.

That's me first on Kathy's list.:lol:

bamboo
10-Sep-08, 20:22
Yes i am like yourself and cant do without my dyson. I hoover more times than you and drive my partner scatty with it ! LOL :lol: Dyson do a brilliant service as someone has already mentioned just get in touch with Dyson and tell them the problem and they will probably arrange for it to be picked up. I just got mine back a week ago. It goes off and sometimes it is back in less than a week. You put it in two bin liners, remove all the tools from it first put a cheque i for £65 and your return address inside the bin of the dyson and dyson will tell you an address to stick on the front of the bags.Mine got picked up by AJG parcels and returned by them. They replace everything that needs replaced on it and it comes back sooking great !! LOL :) Send it off girl !

highlander
10-Sep-08, 20:48
I know what u mean kathy, i got serious withdrawls when my dyson was not working, i found when i put a new belt on the dyson it worked wonders, it was like having a new machine. When my son was little he asked me had i houvered, i asked him why? he said cos if you have i can now take out my lego lol poor lad i never noticed utill then that everytime i pulled out to houver i would say "tidy up that lego"!! lol

scorrie
10-Sep-08, 21:00

Should be called Diesoon. Overpriced rubbish. I have had far better vacuums for a third of the cost since trying Dyson twice before. I have a Panasonic hoover here that nearly takes the carpet off the floor due to its suction power. Even when it is 90% full, it still sucks harder than our Dysons did brand new and empty. Lifetime filters, and no bags, it is maintenance free and has probably worked out £300 cheaper than the Dysons over the past two years.

£65 for a repair?!! I only paid £80 for my vacuum and it has more spunk about it than that sappy Hadron Collider!!

Kathy@watten
10-Sep-08, 21:16
OK dyson winging its way tomorrow to the fixers at dyson.........god speed my dyson I am having a traumatic time and I can see fluff.........

poppett
10-Sep-08, 21:25
Have a friend who swears by the Dyson after sales service.

I am a Panasonic girl myself, have the latest model, but kept the old one as it still worked for use in the shed. OH "must have" a henry for the shed, but it got choked up and the old panasonic came into being again.

Kevin Milkins
10-Sep-08, 23:44
Hi Kathy
Sorry to hear of your Dyson dilema. As many have pointed out the after sales service with Dyson is second to none. Ours went bang about 2 months ago and we considered sending it off for a full repair and servce but it was 7 years old and Lidle had a deal on with a vaccum that looked like a Dysan for about £40-00 pounds ,so we bought one.
It is not a patch on the Dyson and wife has not stoped whinging about it.:mad:
Fortunatly the mother in law came to stay and bought her a new Dyson for her birthday.:Razz
So if anybody wants a new Lidle vaccum cleaner cheap ,Or a busted Dyson free// do pm me.

Lolabelle
11-Sep-08, 00:03
I was actually thinking of getting a dyson. Are they worth the dollars??? Or in your case pounds??

PS, sorry your's is being naughty :eek:

Geo
11-Sep-08, 00:18
Have a friend who swears by the Dyson after sales service

It is excellent but it has to be given how unreliable the machines are. Ours broke down 3 times I think.

Kevin Milkins
11-Sep-08, 00:20
I was actually thinking of getting a dyson. Are they worth the dollars??? Or in your case pounds??

PS, sorry your's is being naughty :eek:

In the UK now Lolabelle they represent the top end of the market with qaulity and price.
In Australia you may have a brand that represents better value ,I don't know.
As I stated in my post above we had our first one for seven years and it worked hard being dog owners and living in the country.
It isn't untill it blows up that you realise how reliant you become on your vaccum cleaner.

Geo
11-Sep-08, 00:30
Check on Google for reviews before buying as they can be very hit and miss when it comes to quaility/reliabity. They are nowhere near as reliable as others such as Miele or Henry.

MadPict
11-Sep-08, 00:50
The roller brush bristles will wear down over time - a replacement roller might cure your problem.

Depending on which model you have there are two flaps, one at the base of the handle mount, the other on the main case but almost next to each other, which act as a trap for large object - they can get clogged with hair or fluff. On my machine DC02 they are like black rubber flaps.

Thumper
11-Sep-08, 08:34
I used to adore my dyson but when it died on me I couldnt afford another one so I bought vax quicklite from price-drop it only cost me £30 and its fantastic!Oh BTW semi-chem have them in for £40 just now if anyone is interested! x

Welcomefamily
11-Sep-08, 09:07
Changed from Dyson to a Henry.

Lolabelle
11-Sep-08, 10:04
I got one, and I am IN LOVE ;)

mama2
11-Sep-08, 17:07
I love my dyson, IMO it's worth every penny. I've tried other hoovers but I don't think they are a patch on the dyson.

skinnydog
16-Sep-08, 08:40
Did you ever get this sorted? Mine went like that once and it was just that the belt had come off! Easy to fix.

Kathy@watten
16-Sep-08, 14:39
dyson home with new engine and new foot plate and new tubing all only cost £65 so I am happy and I can irradicate the fluff balls that cascade like tumble weed across the laminate flooring! let the hoovering commence!

wifie
16-Sep-08, 15:06
LOL Kathy - happy dysoning! I think that service was great and I have to admit to loving my Dyson too! So satisfying seein all that muck in the drum :eek: I also love the fact that it is "fiddling person" friendly - so many bits you can remove yourself and poke about to find out what may be wrong! :)

hotrod4
16-Sep-08, 15:54
Had to double check this thread, people in "love" with a dyson? I hear thats on Channel 4 in a few weeks, I think its a follow up to an episode of Jerry Springer!! ;) lol

router
17-Sep-08, 10:04
would Graham Beggs not be able to assist...........Oooooh I can feel a duster hovering..:)
you could build your own quicker than it takes to get belt for one from there
:confused

Lolabelle
17-Sep-08, 10:27
Had to double check this thread, people in "love" with a dyson? I hear thats on Channel 4 in a few weeks, I think its a follow up to an episode of Jerry Springer!! ;) lol

LOL, if you hated housework as much as I do, and found something that makes it quicker and easier, you too would be "in Love" with the appliance LOL [lol]

"Jerry, Jerry......"

viking
19-Sep-08, 20:26
My Dyson is awful. I'll never buy another one. It's only 6 months old and has already had spare parts fitted. Even when it's working I'm continually taking the thing to bits if it sucks up anything with a diameter greater than a speck of dust. It also slips on the stairs despite being a cylinder model.
When it was broken I borrowed a friend's Henry and it was brilliant - and a fraction of the price. I'll definitely buy one of these next time.

footie chick
19-Sep-08, 21:54
My M-I-Laws Dyson is awful..
When it was broken I borrowed a friend's Henry and it was brilliant - and a fraction of the price. I'll definitely buy one of these next time.

I'm a Henry fan too wouldn't be without my little friend now after seven years and 7-8 hoovers I've had him for a year and a half nearly two years he's been loyal and faithfull cleans up our mess twice a day and he always has a smile on his face when I open the cupboard door. ;)