PDA

View Full Version : Lost relations.

cuddlepop
10-Sep-08, 19:23
Its a really small world we live in and today I found out its just possible i have living relatives through my mums side in Glasgow.
My daughter started her work placement for college last week and today she found out that her supervisor grew up in the same street as me and that her wee sister was probably in my primary class.
Not only that but her supervisor reckons that I could have a distant cousin that is teaching in Kingspark Primary School.She thinks its one of my Grandfathers,brothers/sisters childrens daughter.
Unfortunatly with my mothers death this year i have no way of finding out if she remembers anything.
We lost touch with mums side of the family when we moved and with both her parents dead,close relatives in Canada and Australia and her being an only child saw no point.

My question to you all is,has any distant relation contacted you and how did you feel?
I dont remember much as I was only 8 when we left.:(

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 19:46
Yes Cuddlepop and it was Brilliant........She lives in Glasgow and her and my dad were cousins, so I think we are 2nd cousins. We found each other through Genes Reunited. We have kept in touch but so far haven't managed to meet and we both look forward to that day.
How lovely for you....get in contact, it willl be the best thing you ever do as you will have so much to talk about....we do ours via email.
Happy for you. :Razz

cuddlepop
10-Sep-08, 20:03
Yes Cuddlepop and it was Brilliant........She lives in Glasgow and her and my dad were cousins, so I think we are 2nd cousins. We found each other through Genes Reunited. We have kept in touch but so far haven't managed to meet and we both look forward to that day.
How lovely for you....get in contact, it willl be the best thing you ever do as you will have so much to talk about....we do ours via email.
Happy for you. :Razz

I'm so happy I could burst.Even if we're not related it will be nice to catch up with the supervisors wee sister.

I'm so sad because mum cant share this possible reunion with me.:~(

So happy for you too Teenybash,the internet is a wonderful invention.:D

Solus
10-Sep-08, 20:05
My old man found out he had a brother few years ago, knocked him side ways when he got a letter from a lawyer saying some one was needing to talk to him regards possibly being related. He said when he meet him it was like looking at his own father. Sadly he died a few months later, which made it even sadder.

Angela
10-Sep-08, 20:19
I've discovered quite a few second cousins as well as more distant ones (all on my Mum's side) via genes reunited. I've not actually met any of them yet and maybe I never will, but it's been great getting in touch, filling in the gaps, exchanging family photos and so on.

I do often feel I wish I could tell my granny about it all -she'd be so interested to know what everyone was up to! In fact I DO tell her about it in my head!;)

There's something really special about discovering you have family out there that you didn't know about....especially after a bereavement, I've found. It can feel quite comforting.

All the best if you do meet up, cuddlepop.:)

cuddlepop
10-Sep-08, 20:27
I've discovered quite a few second cousins as well as more distant ones (all on my Mum's side) via genes reunited. I've not actually met any of them yet and maybe I never will, but it's been great getting in touch, filling in the gaps, exchanging family photos and so on.

I do often feel I wish I could tell my granny about it all -she'd be so interested to know what everyone was up to! In fact I DO tell her about it in my head!;)

There's something really special about discovering you have family out there that you didn't know about....especially after a bereavement, I've found. It can feel quite comforting.

All the best if you do meet up, cuddlepop.:)

Thanks Angela I'm nervous excited at the possibility that i'm not really on my own.
I cant remember Grannys maiden name or much about her.My Grandad died before I was born and my granny when i was four.
There are plenty photo's of mums 21st and loads of people in them but no names.
Fingers crossed Liz can put names to faces.:D