PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon Northern Lights Festival - October Concert in Durness

Flyermonkey
10-Sep-08, 13:19
Press Release from Mike Merritt, Northern Lights Festival

The most north westerly village in Britain is to celebrate its links with John
Lennon again.

Top Canadian singer Allison Crowe is to headline a concert in Durness,
Sutherland, on October 11 - two days after what would have been the ex-Beatle's 68th birthday.

Allison was one of the stars of last year's John Lennon Northern Lights
Festival held in Durness - and promoted by Prince Charles' North Highland
Tourism - which went on to win the Best New Festival at the UK Festival Awards 2007.

Next month's concert will be in aid of the John Lennon Memorial Garden in
Durness - the only permanent memorial to Lennon in Scotland.

Lennon holidayed every summer between the ages of 9 and 15 in Durness - on his cousins' croft.

He also returned with Yoko Ono - and their respective children Julian and Kyoko - in 1969 before suffering a car accident which hospitalised them at Golspie.

Durness, in particular, played a huge part in young Lennon's life - the song In My Life is said to be partly inspired by the village - and the singer even
tried to buy the area's estate shortly before his death in 1980. Earlier this
year Yoko Ono also praised villagers for their respect to Lennon's memory.

For next month's concert Allison will break off from her European tour and fly from Prague where she will be performing two days earlier.

"John Lennon was an amazing, artistic, peaceful, spirit. He made a huge impact on society. Durness made a huge impact on him and on me too and I am glad to return," said Allison, 27.

"I remember being terrified of the roads, but the beauty of the place managed to take over! The oft summer stomping ground for John Lennon is one of the most gorgeous places I have seen in all my travels.

"The black rocks and the turquoise waters... The wonderful people that live
there in the Highlands... And the people I got to meet during the John Lennon Northern Lights fest from all over the world.

"There were performers everywhere and there was such a sense of community throughout the fest. I thought the entire time this is definitely a place I could live without much difficulty! The music and the laughter and the amazing new friends. truly, it's an experience that can't be matched. This year I plan on doing my best to create something new while I am in Durness, in homage to the Northern Lights Festival and to carry on in that spirit!!!

"I am honoured to be able to help raise monies to upkeep the John Lennon
Memorial Garden. It's an important part of the community, to be kept
alive and growing along with the memory of John Lennon and the times he
had in Durness. I hope we're able to recreate a bit of that magic."

There are hopes that the Northern Lights Festival will be staged next year.

"I'm excited we're able in a way to carry the torch for the fest that's not
happening this year, because it's such an amazing experience that I hope it keeps happening for years to come, really," said Allison.

"I think the fact that people come together to celebrate the life of someone who was so devoted to peace and love, is, in a sense, achieving exactly what John set out to do. Keeping his spirit alive through the garden and through the festival is that sense of his presence and purpose living on in all of us. We all shine on."

Mary Mackay, chair of Durness Community Council, said she was delighted that Lennon's links with Durness were again be celebrated.

"I could not think of anybody more fitting to celebrate John's links with
Durness than Allison. She was a knockout last year and put hairs on the back of everybody that heard her," she said.

"We are hoping it will be a great day - and it keeps John's flame alive in a
place that he loved very much."

Allison has toured across Canada and in the northeastern United States as
headliner. Two one-hour television specials have been broadcast across Canada, and her version of Leonard Cohen's Halleujah is one of the most popular versions of the classic.

"Whether I'm Wrong", an original song of social conscience penned in early
2003, has been featured by the UNESCO-endorsed New Songs for Peace initiative.

Allison will be supported by fellow Canadian vocalist and classical guitarist
Billie Woods. Other events are also in the pipeline including a photographic
exhibition of the area by Shona McMillan. Billie's songs are inspired by life
in Canada's Pacific northwestern coastal forest, and infused with the warmth and vitality of the sambas, bossa novas and other cultural rhythms of Brazil.

Tickets are £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s and are available from Loch
Croispol Bookshop 01971511777 (where a small fee for credit card bookings will apply) and Mrs Mary Mackay 01971511255.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Sep-08, 13:49
Received the press release for this a couple of weeks ago. Hardly what I'd call a festival.

davem
10-Sep-08, 13:52
It says Northern Lights festival Concert - that would be a concert then, so you don't need to call it a festival.

Flyermonkey
10-Sep-08, 14:12
Erm, yes, its a one off gig that has strong links with last years festival. We are not claiming it is a festival in its own right!

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Sep-08, 14:15
If it was a festival, then, people might feel more inclinced to go. To journey such a long way for one concert? Well, I reckon there will be more than a few empty seats.

Torvaig
10-Sep-08, 14:19
Well done Durness; have a great concert! Anything that promotes good music, good friends and a tremendous sense of wellbeing is to be applauded......:)

Adrian22
11-Sep-08, 04:18
"Love is the flower... you gotta let it grow". That John Lennon lyric comes to mind in all the excitement of another happening in Durness.

I serve as manager to Allison Crowe, who joins with fellow Canadian Billie Woods for the Northern Lights Benefit Show. In a touring season in which Allison performs in Toronto, New York City, Paris, Vienna, Frankfurt, Prague and other cultural centres, there's nothing to match the magic of the Highlands and this events group.

Mike Merritt and his team, which includes all the people of Durness and beyond, coming together, created one of the most fabulous, and real, music festivals in the world. It's an honour, and a delight, to be part of maintaining that bridge to the community of artists and audience alike. And to help things grow in the John Lennon Memorial Garden. The word IS Love.

And, indeed, along with the concert night, there's an exhibition of photographs by Shona McMillan, poetry readings at Loch Croispol Bookshop, and more afoot.

I hope to have a poster soon, and, when that's in hand, I'll plant it here ( :

Sláinte mhaith! Adrian

Adrian22
17-Sep-08, 23:46
Here be the concert poster (resized for posting) for this year's Northern Lights Benefit Show in Durness:

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/DurnessNorthernLightsBenefitShowAllisonCroweposter blog.jpg

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-08, 10:00
A benefit show? To fund another festival? If so, how much of the proceeds from Alison's show will go toward it?

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 10:03
"All Proceeds in Aid of the John Lennon Memorial Garden".

Don't think it can be more clear than that!

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-08, 12:17
Alison's playing for free, then? Strange, that, is it not?

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 12:23
Nothing strange about community benefits! It's a wonderful thing to be part of such an effort.

What is it about such things that you don't appreciate?

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-08, 12:51
Nothing; I just find it hard to believe a Canadian artist would come all the way to Durness to play for free.

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 12:57
Ah, ok, I could not see what was the confusion. The billing is all clear and true.

You can believe it! Allison loves Durness, and, the folks there. It's a pleasure to be able to contribute. There's magic to the place and people. They've got a garden there that needs tending. It's going to be a very special time, and a weekend very much in keeping with the spirit of last year's festival, and those to come.

John Lennon's an artist and man of the highest integrity. We all miss his physical presence on this earth. If that spirit can be honoured, it's a joy.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-08, 13:03
Fair enough. But I'll say it again - and I beg your indulgence - but I doubt Alison will be coming all this way, and performing, for nothing. Your PR skills are pretty good incidentally.

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 13:07
Well, I'm happy to be able to tell you - this is not a matter of conjecture, or belief. It's a fact, and it's really happening.

Perhaps you need get yourself up to the Highlands to find out what can make people do such things as are extraordinary in your books :D

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 14:37
p.s. while I certainly would not dissuade you from making the journey to Durness - I can appreciate that, as you're Edinburgh-based, (if that's right), maybe I can introduce you to our crazy Canuck ways still. Should we line-up a show in your home burgh - how'd you like to be our guest?

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Sep-08, 14:50
I know Canuck quite well. Lovely woman, feel so sorry for her just now.

I no longer live in Edinburgh - time to change the profile methinks - as I have moved to the small, rural town of Hawick in the Scottish Borders. There's a venue here called the Heart of Hawick that may suit Alison. A lot of folk fans round here, and I think she'd go down well.

I saw her peform in Durness last year, but, while she's a good performer, am not a fan.

Adrian22
18-Sep-08, 15:00
Ah, ok, well, thanks muchly for the Heart of Hawick tip. I shall surely explore that. Our only special requirement is an acoustic piano. "Have piano will travel" should be our motto. That is sometimes a simple quest, other times not so simple.

Should we make it to Hawick, any time, and you're about - I'll let you know.

For now, at least, I can assure you that Durness is happening for all the right reasons, and artist and community are contributing individual talents and energies - for no fees in any quarter. One doesn't know going in what will be raised. Whatever it be, every pence and pound will be planted in the upkeep of the John Lennon Memorial Garden.

Adrian22
03-Oct-08, 17:33
I've been plagued by computer/email problems for the past week, and I'm happy to be now able to post this update from Northern Lights fest wizard Mike Merritt on happenings in Durness:

"Dear all,

just to let you know that Face The West are to play a gig at Sango Sands Oasis on Friday, Oct 10 (approx 1030) to the early hours and again on Saturday lunchtime. This has been kindly sponsored by James and Carol
Keith. In addition there is a poetry and music night starting at 7.30pm on the Friday at Loch Croispol Bookshop organised by Simon and Kevin.

On Saturday Graham Bruce will lead us on a ghost/folklore talk/walk starting at Balnakiel on at 2pm. Shona McMillan will also have a display of her photographs in the tourist office over the period too. So together with Allison Crowe and Billie Woods' concert on Saturday evening we are making a good weekend of things."

Have a wonderful weekend - this and next!

cheers, Ad

ciderally
03-Oct-08, 18:40
well done to all ...and have a whale of a weekend in durness...xx

Adrian22
08-Oct-08, 08:17
thanks, ciderally! there's excitement in the air, and, more activities have come together for this weekend in Durness - I've got to catch-up post mail melt-down; right now, here's word on some musical fun that's accessible to us all:

Allison Crowe joins Judy Collins, Katie Melua and more in MOJO Tribute to Leonard Cohen

Canada's bicoastal musical marvel Allison Crowe is among those invited by MOJO magazine to celebrate Leonard Cohen, master of song, on a soon-to-be-released tribute CD. Crowe contributes her cover of "Joan of Arc" - a favourite first heard on the 1971 Cohen album "Songs of Love and Hate".

It's been a wonderful year for appreciation of poet and songwriter+ Leonard Cohen - highlighted by all the live performances, and, the love that's flowed famously at the Glastonbury Festival and more concerts across North America and Europe.

MOJO magazine, one of the world's great music publications, has put together a delightful tribute - one well-designed and timed to raise the banner high over a year that's been very special for lovers of Cohen, just turned 74. As they explain it: "The November 1 issue of MOJO (cover dated December) is celebrating deep and moving music, the kind of stuff we need in the run up to the holiday period. The accompanying MOJO cover mounted CD will be made up of 15 tired and emotional masterpieces from the pen of veteran songwriter Leonard Cohen."

Here be the final running order of the tracks on the upcoming tribute album:

1 Suzanne 3:42 - Ian McCulloch
2 In My Secret Life 4:23 - Katie Melua
3 Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye 3:02 - Claudine Longet
4 Sisters Of Mercy 3:34 - Dion
5 Story Of Isaac 4:09 - Linda Thompson
6 Priests 4:01 - Eyeless In Gaza
7 Joan of Arc 4:55 - Allison Crowe
8 Hallelujah 5:46 - Susanna And The Magical Orchestra
9 Avalanche 5:13 - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
10 Chelsea Hotel No.2 4:19 - Josh Ritter
11 Take This Longing 6:16 - Phil Campbell
12 Tower Of Song 3:46 - Martha Wainwright
13 Song For Bernadette 4:21 - Judy Collins
14 Famous Blue Raincoat 5:08 - The Handsome Family
15 Tonight Will Be Fine 2:45 - Mr David Viner

Alongside the MOJO cover-mount CD, there's expected to be plenty of love for Leonard Cohen reigning o'er the magazine's print and online editions, in Q magazine, and on MOJO Radio next month.

Allison Crowe is currently at the mid-point in her third European tour of 2008. It's a visit that's seen her perform to passionate audiences in Frankfurt, Paris, Siegen, Vienna, and now Prague, Czech Republic - after which she flies to the Highlands of Scotland for a concert in Durness, a fundraiser for the John Lennon Memorial Garden. Following this weekend in the Highlands, she performs in Edinburgh, before returning to North America where she’ll ready her annual Tidings holiday concert series in support of a host of charities from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts.

Adrian22
08-Oct-08, 08:30
HIGHLAND HOLIDAYS REMEMBERED - IMAGINE THIS - A FREE EVENT, PRODUCED & FUNDED BY SHONA MCMILLAN

Building on the success of her Highland Holidays Remembered exhibition, last month in Kinlochbervie, Shona McMillan returns to the area this week to stage her new exhibition as part of this year's Northern Lights, John Lennon Festival in Durness. Over a long weekend of activities, held to raise funds for the John Lennon memorial garden in Durness, Shona's exhibition will be held as a free event staged at the Tourist Information Centre in Durness. In 2007, this new Northern Lights Festival proved to be a tremendous success and brought many visitors to the area from both Scotland and abroad. Afterwards, recognised for its achievements, the event went on to win the best new festival in the United Kingdom.

Celebrating Beatle John Lennon's connections to the area, visitors flocked to Durness to enjoy activities organised to commemorate John's special relationship with his Highland holiday family home. As a boy, John spent many holidays with his relations who lived in Durness and later, John returned to visit the area with his wife Yoko Ono and his children. Indeed, it is considered that the inspiration he found from his memories of Durness were used by him in the creation of song lyrics he later wrote with the Beatles. For visitors to see, words from these songs are carved into stones erected amongst a vibrant abundance of flowers planted in the John Lennon memorial garden next to the Community Centre in Durness. Funds raised from this year’s activities will help to contribute towards future maintenance of the garden.

From childhood, Shona McMillan from Edinburgh has been a regular visitor to the north and thinks of Durness and Kinlochbervie as her Highland homes. Shona said: "Last year I was delighted to be invited to play the fiddle with the Fergie MacDonald ceilidh band at the opening of the festival. I actually purchased my camera to take photos over that weekend, just to have a record of it all. Now this year, it's great to be invited to return as a photographer and stage this exhibition which I hope both locals and visitors will enjoy. At events last year I met John Lennon's sister Julia Baird and had the opportunity to interview her. I was fascinated to hear her many stories of John's time in Durness. Julia described John's fascinaton with Smoo Cave, how he would swim in the icy waters there which come out of the hills and she also talked about his love for the beaches, Sango Sands and Balnakeil. Julia wrote the book ˜Imagine this, my brother John Lennon" and as the areas John enjoyed are also favourites of my own I hope that, through my photos, visitors will ˜Imagine This" -John's time and a childhood spent in this beautiful part of Scotland.

Durness was first visited by Shona's family 50 years ago, when cars were not a common sight on Northern roads. Shona's family pulled a caravan from the 270 miles Edinburgh to Durness and would stay at the park, next to the beach and the big house at Balnakeil farm. Shona explains “I grew up knowing the farm manager as my Uncle John and his wife as my Aunty Mary. Yet, there was always such a strong connection to the place and people that it did feel as if I came from the place. Later, holidaying more from a Kinlochbervie base, roots were established in both villages so that one year, at the Durness Highland Games tug of war, Shona actually pulled first for Durness and then changed sides to pull for KLB!. In her exhibition, in addition to scenic pictures which reflect John Lennon's favourite places, there will also be pictures of Durness locals photograhed by Shona and her family over their many Highland holidays.

Said Shona “It was very entertaining at my Kinlochbervie event to see peoples expressions as they viewed my old photos and indeed, there were many laughs shared as people recalled the old times. In addition, pictures of the Forth Road bridge being built, the Kessock and Kylesku ferries, even I was surprised myself to consider how many changes have taken place in the years I’ve been coming north. Accordingly, if any one has any old photos they wish to share with me and others, I would be delighted to include them in future exhibitions up here. For example, for the Year of Homecoming 2009, I am producing a Highland Homecoming exhibition and anyone who can contribute old photos to this should contact me at shonaMmcmillan@aol.com (shonaMmcmillan@aol.com). In addition, photos I take over this forthcoming festival weekend will also contribute to next year's events so expect to see me out and about with my camera at as many events as I can get to. And with what is planned, I'll be taking my fiddle along with me and looking forward to a really great weekend in Durness with something on offer to everyone's taste.

This year's events start on Friday 10th October at 1pm with Shona McMillan's exhibition at the Durness Tourist Information Centre. Later at 7.30pm there will be an evening of poetry reading at the Loch Croispol book shop. From around 10.30 pm, to the wee small hours, Face The West from Stornoway play a gig at Sango Sands Oasis and again on Saturday lunchtime. From Balnakeil at 2pm on Saturday 11th, Graham Bruce will lead a folklore talk/walk and in the evening Allison Crowe and Billie Woods will perform at the Durness Community Centre Hall. Over the weekend, Shona's exhibition will be on view from 10-5 on Saturday, 2-5 on Sunday and will finish on Monday 13th at 1pm. For more information on Shona's exhibition and events see http://www.myspace.com/shona_M_mcmillan (http://www.shona_m_mcmillan/)

Flyermonkey
13-Oct-08, 11:07
Anyone else make it out to Durness?

Fantastic weekend, and Allison was great as always... really lovely in every way.

The Observer had a great piece about the Durness / Lennon connection yesterday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oct/12/johnlennon-scotland

Adrian22
13-Oct-08, 12:28
That's a lovely article, thanks for the link.

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all - once again - in Durness!

I'm happy to hear your report, as I've not had opportunity to catch up with Allison. I know that "The Long and Winding Road" is a Paul, rather than a John, Beatle song - still it seems to fit the stretch from Durness to Thurso. I have learned that Allison plans to travel via Yellow Submarine next time, as the car-trip left her a bit queasy. Still, she relished the not-to-be-missed Sunday Carvery at the St Clair Arms in Castletown, so, clearly, the ride "did not kill them and they weren't banned from the Olympic Games."

And the John Lennon Memorial Garden shall have more nurturing.

I didn't know, until after the weekend's celebrations in Durness were already organized and about to happen, that Elton John has a song about his good friend, John, which contains such lines as:

"He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And we are so amazed.
We're crippled and we're dazed.
A gardener like that one, no one can replace."

Och, aye.

It's a national holiday here in Canada to day. Happy Thanksgiving to all!