PDA

View Full Version : Local Income tax purported by the SNP

mccaugm
10-Sep-08, 12:31
The SNP government have published plans to abolish the unfair Council Tax and replace it with a local income tax system based on the ability to pay. The local tax will be set at a rate of 3p on income excluding savings income. The reform will represent a major progressive change to taxation in Scotland and the biggest tax cut for Scots in a generation.

I am not a supporter of the SNP but I do like this idea. It will at least mean that people who don't normally pay will be taxed at source negating the need for loads of administrators chasing the non-payers. The administrators may lose their jobs but this would also reduce costs to the councils. I admit that the more you earn the more you pay but I still think it would be a better system.:D

TBH
10-Sep-08, 13:43
Salmond is a smooth operator right enough.

AfternoonDelight
10-Sep-08, 13:45
What happens to the richies that live off savings or stocks and shares? Will there be a way to tax them - I'm not too sure how this works?:confused

Valerie Campbell
10-Sep-08, 14:11
I think in principle it's a good idea but as they say, the devil's in the detail.

loobyloo
10-Sep-08, 14:19
It is going to hit middle-income families and have very little effect on those in the high earnings bracket. They'll never get it through the parliament anyway. I don't think they have a clue what they're doing from an economic standpoint.

tonkatojo
10-Sep-08, 15:38
I think the word LOCAL will be the downfall of it. IF LOCAL means Caithness raises its own tax were in the sh-t as there is not the population to cover services.

Rheghead
10-Sep-08, 17:28
I think the word LOCAL will be the downfall of it. IF LOCAL means Caithness raises its own tax were in the sh-t as there is not the population to cover services.

I never thought of that one, Highland is a big chunk of Scotland with only 60,000 to support it.

TBH
10-Sep-08, 17:59
Which is why it will be controlled from Edinboro.

Rheghead
10-Sep-08, 18:08
Which is why it will be controlled from Edinboro.

Ah right thanks for that. So we have a scheme which supports an area that is proportionally larger and is funded even more centrally by a tenth of the previous set of tax payers. Sounds good financially.:roll:

TBH
10-Sep-08, 18:19
Ah right thanks for that. So we have a scheme which supports an area that is proportionally larger and is funded even more centrally by a tenth of the previous set of tax payers. Sounds good financially.:roll:So you think Caithness will suffer financially, more than they would if they were taxed locally?

Rheghead
10-Sep-08, 18:27
So you think Caithness will suffer financially, more than they would if they were taxed locally?

That isn't on the cards so I can't say. Was it a strawman?

Anyway, should the thread read instead of purported it should be proposed?

Melancholy Man
10-Sep-08, 18:29
The council tax is a bit of a dog's dinner but, gads, this will be worse.

Ah right thanks for that. So we have a scheme which supports an area that is proportionally larger and is funded even more centrally by a tenth of the previous set of tax payers. Sounds good financially.:roll:

And people are still clinging to the belief that Salmond ain't an ardent Blairite (with jacobite jihadis tagging along).

I never thought of that one, Highland is a big chunk of Scotland with only 60,000 to support it

Are there 160,000 children?

Alice in Blunderland
10-Sep-08, 19:15
I am starting to think that shortly anyone on a half decent salary may as well hand it over to the government ;)

I dont think this is the answer to the council tax :roll:

Melancholy Man
10-Sep-08, 19:35
You do not deserve to call yourself a Scot, Alice.

TBH
10-Sep-08, 22:43
That isn't on the cards so I can't say. Was it a strawman?

Anyway, should the thread read instead of purported it should be proposed?No and I would have said proposed but you would have to ask Mccaugm about that.