PDA

View Full Version : Talk To Me About Soup

starry
09-Sep-08, 23:10
I am a can't cook/won't cook but am trying my hardest to learn, it is a slow and sometimes unappitising process.

I am thinking of making soups I can freeze and use for work lunchs.

Does anyone have any fool proof recipes I can try out ?

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 00:47
An easy tasty soup to make is leek and lentil.
You can adjust quantities to your needs.
Put a 1/2 cup of lentils into 2pints water, wash and slice one leek ,add 1 or 2 stock cubes, depending on how flavoursome you want it and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx 30 minutes until lentils are cooked...they will turn from orange to more yellow.simple and tasty especially if you cook it day before.
If you want it thicker add extra lentils and you can also add other veggies to this basic soup...diced carrot and/or turnip, potao, pasta, whatever you fancy.
Years ago my mother used to add a tin of meatball and it was a cheap tasty dinner.

If you are freezing it let it cool and put single portions into freezer container or bag and it will keep no problem. ;)

wifie
10-Sep-08, 01:05
Click on "search" at the top and type "soup" in the box - loads of inspiration! ;)
Happy soup makin!

starry
10-Sep-08, 11:32

floyed
10-Sep-08, 15:46
I would'nt use potato in the soup if you are going to freeze it, personally i don't like the taste when its reheated.

Solus
10-Sep-08, 20:35
Lentil soup freezes ok , mind you it never seems to get as far as the freezer in my house

golach
10-Sep-08, 21:15
I freeze Tattie soup regularly, and export it to Castletown, with no complaints so far :lol:

dirdyweeker
13-Sep-08, 00:25
I would'nt use potato in the soup if you are going to freeze it, personally i don't like the taste when its reheated.

I am with you there. Find the tatties go all "gloopy" when taken out the freezer.

Jimbo
14-Sep-08, 11:03
I've just made some lovely Tomato Soup with freshly picked tomatoes from my greenhouse early this morning -
Tomato Soup,
Tomato and Tarragon Soup, and
Tomato and Ginger Soup
Not that I'm boasting, but this is the first year we've grown our own tomatoes!!
Just waiting for it to cool down cos its going in the freezer.