PDA

View Full Version : Can't Afford

starry
09-Sep-08, 22:48
I am a single parent, my wage is not huge but is above the cut off point for most benefits.
I do get a small amount of child tax credit but pay full council tax, full dentist etc

I am honestly at the stage now where my weekly food costs, rise in petrol and oil mean I can no longer make ends meet.

I am not in a position to take another job, I can't cut back on anything else, we are back as far as we can go.

I have checked and am getting all the benefits I am entitled to, although the woman did agree that the cut off point is too low and should be revised.
But there are not plans to do this.

At the moment I would be better off giving up work and signing on, surely this is wrong.
What on earth is wrong with this country (God I sound like the people I used to roll my eyes at) where I am working full time, I do earn a good wage but I can't live on it.

I can't be the only person in this situation and I am at a complete loss as to what to do to ride it out.

How badly is the rise in prices affecting you and they way you live ?

Btw I am not talking cutting back as in holidays, days out etc I am talking cutting back on food, heating etc.

Kevin Milkins
09-Sep-08, 23:01
Hi Starry.No easy answear from me , but I would think the fact that you are talking about it in a constructive way is a step in the right direction .I would imagine there are many people in the same boat that would hide away from the reality of these situations and it dont help.Good luck

Julia
09-Sep-08, 23:51
I gave up my job to look after my baby, at my 'back to work' interview it was worked out that I would only be £30 per week better off if I went back to work, it's not much of an incentive is it? :(

Bobinovich
10-Sep-08, 00:00
Is it feasible to cut back your working hours to a level where you would be eligible for (substantially more) benefits, and if so would the drop in wages be countered by said benefits? Just a thought...

starry
10-Sep-08, 00:07
I could do but that just seems so wrong doesn't it ?

It is something I will definitely have to look at though.

Bobinovich
10-Sep-08, 00:13
No it isn't wrong - if the government reviewed the levels and set a more realistic cut off point then you wouldn't be worrying as you'd be eligible for more benefits anyway.

With prices rising as fast as they are there is going to be a lot more people in fuel poverty, and with winter just around the corner the government will, almost certainly, have blood on their hands if they don't do something soon.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be nice to swap places with those in power to see how long they can manage on the poverty line?

starry
10-Sep-08, 00:16
By government figures, I think it is 10% of income ?

how many people are already in fuel poverty ?

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 00:18
I think most people are beginning to feel the effects of the price rises and hate to say it....it's gonna get worse. I know I have started buying store brands and using less meat in dishes, bulking out with a bit more tattie or pasta and I do a lot more home baking.............:eek:

Tugmistress
10-Sep-08, 06:52
you say you pay full council tax, are you the only adult in the house? if so get in touch with the council as you can get a single occupier benefit, even with a child in the house. i didn't know about this and struggled myself for over a year until someone told me about it. i think it's something like a £20 a month saving for me. not a lot but every little helps.

_Ju_
10-Sep-08, 07:12
Starry, get the kids enroled into Lochshell dentist! It's NHS. That might save you some money.

Thumper
10-Sep-08, 08:22
Starry you are in the catch 22 situation that lots of people are and its sad to say that there doesnt seem to be much help out there at all!I would try to see if you can work less hours and claim more in benefits,that way your council tax,dentist etc will be paid for you,or at least some of it will.I am planning going back to work,and I will be exactly £30 a week better off,but like you i will have to pay for prescriptions,dental treatment etc so in the end I would probably be better off not working!This is something that needs to be addressed,no wonder so many dont intend on ever working when they are actually better off than those who do!:roll: x

binbob
10-Sep-08, 10:21
this is not directed at the first poster...but i find ,in general tha people are silly ..have not a clue how to budget...people i know on benefits ..can spend money on fags,booze,parties,designer clothes.decent cars,mobile phones ,more than 1 computer,etc.then moan about struggling to pay bills and buy food!!!!

i think people need to get their priorities right.just look at what happened to the foster family down to money,or lack of it.an extreme case,i know...
it is important to sort out the needs ,before desires.

arana negra
10-Sep-08, 10:48
Sorry to read about your plight, I hope you can find a way through it.

The governments never have been very clued up on what most people actually earn. It was never ANYWHERE near the national average for anybody I knew/know. Gees I would have been in heaven to have had that much coming in when my kids were wee. My then husband worked on the roads we lived in the country and a car was a necessity NOT a luxury, no bus could take him to work depot, most of the time there were NO buses for about an 5 miles radius.

Folks used to tell me to cut down on things like sweets juice and biscuits.... man they were all real luxuries then we only had them if somebody brought them when visiting. We grew our veg and thank the lord even know for our local butcher who did food pack for 5 meals. My parents used to buy us them too and we would eek it out for 7 by adding loads of veg etc. Some main meals had no meat and lordy did I struggle to put it on the table for growing boys. Felt guilty they had no meat, some times they would have and we would not.

As to heating allowance I remember being told we were entitled to it whoop de doo 42 pence a week when a bag of coal was about 6 times the price.

My kids had no so called 'luxuries' and often wore charity shop clothes, If I remember my mother for just one good thing it was buying GOOD quality second hand clothes for my kids.

Child poverty is alive and (they are) surviving JUST in Scotland and is a disgrace to the govering bodies. Time to sort out OUR kids first then the rest of the world.

starry
10-Sep-08, 11:27
Tugmistress - I get the single person reduction thanks though x

Ju - I am not up your way, the kids of course get free dentist treatment but I have a mouth full of fillings from my own childhood. Even with the best care in the world they only last so long and I seem to be constantly having to have them replaced.
Right now I have a filling out but can't afford to have it treated, surely this is completely wrong for someone working full time.

Thumper - that is it exactly, the extra you earn will just go on what you used to get help with.

I know there are some folk like that binbob, but there are also people on benefits who are really struggling despite doing their very best to live within the budgets set.
But I do know what you mean, I lot of the families I work with are on long term benefits and many seem to a better lifestyle than me.

Thanks everyone, I am not really so much having a moan, I am just amazed that is 2008 I can work full time, have no debt, no expensive lifestyle choices and be this poor.

SunsetSong
10-Sep-08, 11:41
Starry

I'm in the same position as yourself. Single parent to two and cannot claim any more benefits as currently earning too much. I'm in the process of making lots of cutbacks, shop brand food where possible and like someone else mentioned bulking food out with lots of veg etc. It's not easy particularly when one of the children is a 6ft 14 year old in a man's body. Size 11 shoes and trainers don't come cheap!!

I guess until things change or I win the lottery its a matter of riding it out for a while. Fuel costs are already weighing heavily but we are getting into a strict routine of cutting back, not leaving lights on, have gone and bought extra duvets for beds, starting using washing machine and tumble dryer late at night or very early in the morning so electric is cheaper etc etc. All little things but things that will hopefully make a difference.

SS

alistair harper
10-Sep-08, 12:07
Caithness Energy Advice my be able to help with heating your home they give free advice on insulation and may be able to reduce your tarrif for electricity if you are spendin 10% of your income coming into the home on heating.It does not matter if its coal,gas,electric or oil.what have you got to lose

There number is 896524

silverfox57
10-Sep-08, 12:20
starry have you tryed caithness citizen advice bureau as they could help and are free, the might find some benefits,you have missed,

starry
10-Sep-08, 12:33
Honest part of my job is advising families on benefits, there is nothing I am entitled to that I am not getting.
The house is as insulated as it can be and I am at the stage where I am threatening to chop the hands off anyone who leaves a light on lol !!

The only way I am going to get out of this is if the cut off point for extra help is raised or if I get a big payrise.
Neither of which are likely to happen :roll:

That or 5 numbers and the bonus come my way, actually there is probably more chance of that happening than the above two !!

And my car needs MOT next month :~(

loobyloo
10-Sep-08, 14:17
Honest part of my job is advising families on benefits, there is nothing I am entitled to that I am not getting.
The house is as insulated as it can be and I am at the stage where I am threatening to chop the hands off anyone who leaves a light on lol !!

The only way I am going to get out of this is if the cut off point for extra help is raised or if I get a big payrise.
Neither of which are likely to happen :roll:

That or 5 numbers and the bonus come my way, actually there is probably more chance of that happening than the above two !!

And my car needs MOT next month :~(

I can totally sympathise with you. You are not alone. There are lots of us one-income families struggling. I haven't any advice to give you, as you sound like you know what you're doing. It's just a case of grin and bear it.
At least when you've got very little, you don't complain about the unimportant stuff and tend to value non-monetary things much more.
Not much of a silver-lining but it's something. Chin up ;)

Valerie Campbell
10-Sep-08, 14:18
I agree with Bobinovich. I think perhaps you should maybe think about cutting back your hours and getting the benefit. I know it's no ideal but neither is getting a wage packet that you feel you've worked hard for but doesn't give you any extra for the fun things in life. It's all used in living costs alone. It's obviously taking it's toll on you and it will be on your kids as well. At least consider it, for your own well being. Hope you get it sorted out and things improve for you.

Thumper
10-Sep-08, 14:30
Whilst I agree with you binbob to a point,there are those on "benefit" that can afford all those luxuries and then there are those on benefits that cant,what I mean is there are plenty out there who seem to get everything thrown at them when it comes to claiming and then there are the "real ones" who get by on a pittance!But thats a totally different argument that I wouldnt want to take over this thread x

balto
10-Sep-08, 14:39
Whilst I agree with you binbob to a point,there are those on "benefit" that can afford all those luxuries and then there are those on benefits that cant,what I mean is there are plenty out there who seem to get everything thrown at them when it comes to claiming and then there are the "real ones" who get by on a pittance!But thats a totally different argument that I wouldnt want to take over this thread x
doesnt it depend wht your last name is, not going to go into details for fear of getting pounced apon, but i am sure most of you know what i mean. I know both my partner and i work and even them like most we are finding it harder to manage ech month, so i really do feel sorry for those that have to strugle on beniifits.

binbob
10-Sep-08, 15:08
Tugmistress - I get the single person reduction thanks though x

Ju - I am not up your way, the kids of course get free dentist treatment but I have a mouth full of fillings from my own childhood. Even with the best care in the world they only last so long and I seem to be constantly having to have them replaced.
Right now I have a filling out but can't afford to have it treated, surely this is completely wrong for someone working full time.

Thumper - that is it exactly, the extra you earn will just go on what you used to get help with.

I know there are some folk like that binbob, but there are also people on benefits who are really struggling despite doing their very best to live within the budgets set.
But I do know what you mean, I lot of the families I work with are on long term benefits and many seem to a better lifestyle than me.

Thanks everyone, I am not really so much having a moan, I am just amazed that is 2008 I can work full time, have no debt, no expensive lifestyle choices and be this poor.
starry..i was certainly not directing my opinion at u.you are certainly trying to do ur very best and i really hope things do get better for u in the future.if i win the lottery[haha] i will remeber u..best wishes.

AfternoonDelight
10-Sep-08, 16:54
doesnt it depend wht your last name is, not going to go into details for fear of getting pounced apon, but i am sure most of you know what i mean. I know both my partner and i work and even them like most we are finding it harder to manage ech month, so i really do feel sorry for those that have to strugle on beniifits.

Some people have no qualms about sitting on benefits their whole lives - other people hate to rely on the littlest handout. It's not a pleasant situation by any means but I think food and heat have to come before principles in this case, especially if kids are invloved.

EDDIE
10-Sep-08, 17:00
you say you pay full council tax, are you the only adult in the house? if so get in touch with the council as you can get a single occupier benefit, even with a child in the house. i didn't know about this and struggled myself for over a year until someone told me about it. i think it's something like a £20 a month saving for me. not a lot but every little helps.

i think its 25% of your council tax bill if u are the only adult in the house

Tilter
10-Sep-08, 20:16
Starry,
I feel very sorry for you. I was in the same position as you in the early 80's, with 2 young children and no help, and everything getting dearer by the week and my wages staying the same, and no benefits available in the country where I was living. All I can say of that time is that it does get better eventually. Nothing lasts for ever.

In the meantime, cut down your hours and take whatever benefits you can. You've earned them. No point wearing yourself out for someone else when you could be de-stressing and spending more time with the kids or on yourself. If anyone offers you any kind of help, don't be proud - take it. You'll help someone else one day. If you have skills - try bartering them for something you need - I think that's legal (not sure). Good luck.

mums angels
10-Sep-08, 22:06
I could do but that just seems so wrong doesn't it ?

It is something I will definitely have to look at though.

Its a shame that so many mid earners suffer so much under the current system but at least you are doing your best with what you have got , sounds like you are budgeting and living within your means all be it tight and at least you can say you are doing so by not fiddling the system unlike others i could mention [evil] Hope things get better soon