PDA

View Full Version : On a lighter note :)

Sapphire2803
09-Sep-08, 11:28
Someone mentioned light hearted threads (or lack thereof) the other day, so I'll have a go...

How many times have you climbed Whaligoe steps? I must admit that after I climbed them the first time, I swore I would never do it again. To be fair to me, it was a hot day and the steps had more than their fair share of midgies that day.
Well, despite swearing I'd never do it again I've now been roped into it 6 times. [lol] Although I must admit I wouldn't have missed the last time for the world, it was a beautiful day and we all sat around down there for hours.

So, come on. Have you climbed them? If so, how many times?

wifie
09-Sep-08, 11:33
I have never climed them Sapphire but they are on my to do list! :)

TBH
09-Sep-08, 11:35
Just spare a thought for all the wifies that had to carry baskets of fish up and down the steps.:D

wifie
09-Sep-08, 11:38
Just spare a thought for all the wifies that had to carry baskets of fish up and down the steps.:D
I'm no goin if I have to carry a basket of fish up or a fisherman down! ;)

TBH
09-Sep-08, 11:40
I'm no goin if I have to carry a basket of fish up or a fisherman down! ;)That would be strangely funny if they had to carry the Fishermen up and down aswell.

Sporran
09-Sep-08, 11:40

I did once, and it was a very long Whaligoe! ;)

wifie
09-Sep-08, 11:41
That would be strangely funny if they had to carry the Fishermen up and down aswell.

Did they not have to carry fishermen out to boats so that they would not get wet - sure I have read this somewhere? Suppose would not be needed at Whaligoe - good job! ;)

justine
09-Sep-08, 11:57
Just the once. Oh decided we should go visit the steps, and i was 7 mths pregnant with my 3 yr old, What a hell of a job i had coming back up.

If you visit the steps, and the guy comes out tellling you the history of them, dont believe alll he says, we did some checking on the story he told us and it turned out to be a tourists story, for non natives of caithness.

Venture
09-Sep-08, 12:06
I can remember running up and down them when I was young. I went there a couple of years ago with friends on holiday and couldn't even look down them...let alone climb them. I know, I'm just a "feardy caffie". It must be my age.:lol:

telfordstar
09-Sep-08, 12:12
I did it just the once as well going down was a doddle but going up oh my heavens my legs ached for days.

Tighsonas4
09-Sep-08, 12:42
I'm no goin if I have to carry a basket of fish up or a fisherman down! ;)
just get a fish supper wifie and eat it at the bottom it will carry itself back up lol tony

jings00
09-Sep-08, 12:48
done it one and a half times. i'm no likin heights and the half time it was wet and slippy.

hotrod4
09-Sep-08, 13:55
done it one and a half times. i'm no likin heights and the half time it was wet and slippy.

Did wonder that, because if you go down ONCE-youre at the bottom, so if you have done it one and a half times then your still there ;) The org reaches places other beers cant!! ;)

Julia
09-Sep-08, 14:49
Having lived here all my life I've no doubt been up and down them countless times or at least double figures, I'm so unfit now I'd need an ambulance waiting with a supply of oxygen at the top [lol]

I have great admiration for the women who trekked up and down them all day carrying heavy boxes of fish, they must have had legs like tree trunks and lungs the size of giant balloons!

wifie
09-Sep-08, 14:56
just get a fish supper wifie and eat it at the bottom it will carry itself back up lol tony

Har har Tigh - you are a cheeky person! Methinks if I ate a fish supper at the bottom I would have to hing around for a bit before the climb back up!

joxville
09-Sep-08, 15:29
Having lived here all my life I've no doubt been up and down them countless times or at least double figures, I'm so unfit now I'd need an ambulance waiting with a supply of oxygen at the top [lol]

I have great admiration for the women who trekked up and down them all day carrying heavy boxes of fish, they must have had legs like tree trunks and lungs the size of giant balloons!

How fit they must have been plus there was no such thing as Health & Safety and some of them probably smoked too.

bobandag16
09-Sep-08, 15:35
Someone mentioned light hearted threads (or lack thereof) the other day, so I'll have a go...

How many times have you climbed Whaligoe steps? I must admit that after I climbed them the first time, I swore I would never do it again. To be fair to me, it was a hot day and the steps had more than their fair share of midgies that day.
Well, despite swearing I'd never do it again I've now been roped into it 6 times. [lol] Although I must admit I wouldn't have missed the last time for the world, it was a beautiful day and we all sat around down there for hours.

iwas taken to them in 1960 as an english b. ewll watered . what te native drink . spelling is to give the right impression.i quote i saw i did not con quer ibottle out. need ed more water then i was able to stand .

hotrod4
09-Sep-08, 16:27
Have been there once when I was but a small staff. It was a bit of a challenge to a smoker as my lungs would testify. Still remember the "Lifeboat steppies" in Wick,every time I climbed them the number of steps changed!!!! :)

Tilter
09-Sep-08, 16:30
I've been meaning to climb the steps for almost 20 years now . . . . at this rate, maybe I'll be first person to conquer them with a zimmer frame.

William
09-Sep-08, 16:38
I've done it once but it was really dark by the time we found them so i think i should go back in the day time to see it properly as the light on my phone was not so good

Kevin Milkins
09-Sep-08, 17:15
The wife and I had a few to many to drink one Saturday night and felt rotten most of Sunday morning.
In an attempt to shake off a rotten hang over we decided to go for a ride on the motorbike.
We ended up at the steps and going down was not to bad, but coming back up in full leathers was not fun at all:confused.
Cleared the hang over though.:D

hotrod4
09-Sep-08, 17:21
The wife and I had a few to many to drink one Saturday night and felt rotten most of Sunday morning.
In an attempt to shake off a rotten hang over we decided to go for a ride on the motorbike.
We ended up at the steps and going down was not to bad, but coming back up in full leathers was not fun at all:confused.
Cleared the hang over though.:D

Have a picture in my head now of two people climbing whaligoe "chaffing" and panting away,not quite the picture I originally had of you kevin.

A good few years ago I was down your original way for a couple of weeks running around the Brecons,wasnt my most pleasant time but was very beautiful, Pen y fan was especially spectacular when the mist/fog rose and the sun came through, never quite forgot that image.

ett23
09-Sep-08, 17:32
I think i must have been up and down them at least 5 or 6 times. Mostly to show them to other people. I remember feeling ok on the way down, just a bit weak and wobbly but after the first 50 steps on the way back up I was just wrecked and vowed I'd never do it again! :lol:

Last time I went I took my mother with me and on the way back up (she's asthmatic by the way) she had her first ever asthma attack!!:eek: I felt so sorry for her and really bad for being stupid enought to suggest we visit the steps knowing how physically demanding it is! That'll be the last time she ever goes to Whaligoe!

TBH
09-Sep-08, 20:52
Just the once. Oh decided we should go visit the steps, and i was 7 mths pregnant with my 3 yr old, What a hell of a job i had coming back up.

If you visit the steps, and the guy comes out tellling you the history of them, dont believe alll he says, we did some checking on the story he told us and it turned out to be a tourists story, for non natives of caithness.Could you tell me what he said that was in error? If it is the guy I am thinking of, he has a great knowledge of the steps and their history. Why would he need to embellish the truth when the steps are free to view?

wifie
09-Sep-08, 22:49
How fit they must have been plus there was no such thing as Health & Safety and some of them probably smoked too.
Aye clay pipes!