PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel, could it be?

teenybash
08-Sep-08, 14:15
The thought of time travel is something that has always fascinated me and throws up the questions...could it be possible, or could it already have been achieved......... Is it a topic worth talking about or should it be left in the realms of fiction and dreams. :roll:

Rheghead
08-Sep-08, 14:55
If it was possible, there must be people from the future living with us today? And someone would have bumped off hitler by now?:confused

Flyermonkey
08-Sep-08, 15:09
Travelling forward in time (I mean at a greater rate than anyone round you) is straightforward and perfectly possible within our current understanding of physics. Look up Einstien's Twin Paradox on how that happens...

The problem with travelling backwards in time is that you would have to go faster than the speed of light (time and the speed of light are closely connected) which simply isn't possible under the current rules of physics... however if you were able to find a 'worm hole' or a 'singularity' (where the rules of physics breakdown and therefore no longer apply) then it may be possible to travel across great tracts of space and time...

router
08-Sep-08, 18:40
their are scientists working on creating wormholes and they have managed to create them though they only lasted a couple of milli secconds and were about a few atoms wide by a meter long.the only down side is as soon as they open they start to close,so you have a good chance of being crushed,somewhere in time unless they find a way of stabilising it and keeping it open.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 21:19
their are scientists working on creating wormholes and they have managed to create them though they only lasted a couple of milli secconds and were about a few atoms wide by a meter long.the only down side is as soon as they open they start to close,so you have a good chance of being crushed,somewhere in time unless they find a way of stabilising it and keeping it open.Would you really be crushed or would it just mean that your travel would be halted in another part of the galaxy?

Angel
08-Sep-08, 22:04
It all depends on your interpretation of time travel... For instance when I moved to Caithness from Cheshire it was like travelling back in time and when I visited Osaka it was like being in the future...

Seriously though... Time travel has been proven when 2 atomic clocks, one on the ground and one flown around the world showed a measurable time difference.

Asuming time actually exists and we are actually moving forward then, are we already doing time travel.

Prior to time measuring instrumentation, the Aborigines did not have time... it was introduced to them...

Time is said to be there so as everything does not happen at once!

Angel

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:10
It all depends on your interpretation of time travel... For instance when I moved to Caithness from Cheshire it was like travelling back in time and when I visited Osaka it was like being in the future...

Seriously though... Time travel has been proven when 2 atomic clocks, one on the ground and one flown around the world showed a measurable time difference.

Asuming time actually exists and we are actually moving forward then, are we already doing time travel.

Prior to time measuring instrumentation, the Aborigines did not have time... it was introduced to them...

Time is said to be there so as everything does not happen at once!

AngelWhy did the aborigines have dream time then?

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 22:36
Why did the aborigines have dream time then?

I think the dream time is a western term, the aboriginals call it the dreaming.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:38
I think the dream time is a western term, the aboriginals call it the dreaming.Thank you Lolabelle but did the Aborigines really have no concept of time before being invaded by the west?

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 22:43
Thank you Lolabelle but did the Aborigines really have no concept of time before being invaded by the west?

I don't know, I shall investigate and let you know!
But they didn't have clocks, and they didn't grow crops, but it stands to reason they they would have noticed seasons. They were hunter gatherers.

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:46
I don't know, I shall investiget and let you know!
But they didn't have clocks, and they didn't grow crops, but it stands to reason they they would have noticed seasons. They were hunter gatherers.I am afraid my only knowledge of aborigines was the movie, 'The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith'.:lol:

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 22:56
well I've just done a bit of reading, and in the couple of articles I looked at, it seems the aboriginals were more organised than we've been led to believe. They did do some agricultural type things, they lived in villages and planted yams and grasses in hard times. They also built incredibly intricate fish and eel traps, in particular at a certain time of year hundreds if not thousands gathered where they harvested eels at a particular time each year. They burned off scrub every 2 years, and they had rituals and ceremonies. It's impossible to believe that a culture so entwined with the land could not mark the passing of seasons etc.. so that in itself says to me that they used time in some form, no one had clocks as such originally. So there you go, my opinion!

wifie
08-Sep-08, 23:01
It seems they did not need "time" they existed with nature - felt when things were right. We use time to go against nature in the western world!

TBH
08-Sep-08, 23:02
well I've just done a bit of reading, and in the couple of articles I looked at, it seems the aboriginals were more organised than we've been led to believe. They did do some agricultural type things, they lived in villages and planted yams and grasses in hard times. They also built incredibly intricate fish and eel traps, in particular at a certain time of year hundreds if not thousands gathered where they harvested eels at a particular time each year. They burned off scrub every 2 years, and they had rituals and ceremonies. It's impossible to believe that a culture so entwined with the land could not mark the passing of seasons etc.. so that in itself says to me that they used time in some form, no one had clocks as such originally. So there you go, my opinion!Again, thank you. A personal opinion but an informed one.
I watched a prog about Casuarina and it seems to me that these people have no life now under a repressive western regime.

teenybash
08-Sep-08, 23:06
It seems they did not need "time" they existed with nature - felt when things were right. We use time to go against nature in the western world!

Wise, wise words Wifie..............we in the western world put emphasis on linear time, which relates to mundane activities, conscious actions based on material gain.....................

TBH
08-Sep-08, 23:11
It seems they did not need "time" they existed with nature - felt when things were right. We use time to go against nature in the western world!How so Wifie, perhaps you could elaborate on the west's misuse, understanding of time?

wifie
08-Sep-08, 23:29
How so Wifie, perhaps you could elaborate on the west's misuse, understanding of time?

Well we manipulate time for our own ends! Extending the growing time of crops to add to food mountains we already have. Racin against the clock to do our jobs! Jugglin time to spend "quality time" with our children! Nothin happens naturally any more!
A simple example for me was that durin the summer hols I was lucky enough to be off with my children and it was wonderful not to watch the clock and just do what we wanted - it was so free! I know not everyone could have this "luxury" but it is only ourselves that make this so!

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-08, 23:54
Travelling forward in time (I mean at a greater rate than anyone round you) is straightforward and perfectly possible within our current understanding of physics. Look up Einstien's Twin Paradox on how that happens...

The problem with travelling backwards in time is that you would have to go faster than the speed of light (time and the speed of light are closely connected) which simply isn't possible under the current rules of physics... however if you were able to find a 'worm hole' or a 'singularity' (where the rules of physics breakdown and therefore no longer apply) then it may be possible to travel across great tracts of space and time...

Right!/,? I think I get it now.:confused:roll::lol:
Why do I feel as if I have lived a sheltered life.:D?

tigger2u
09-Sep-08, 00:09
I think we should ban time and then we would never be late again ![lol]

Lolabelle
09-Sep-08, 01:26
I think we should ban time and then we would never be late again ![lol]

Sounds like a plan, I like it!
I hate being ruled by the clock, but in today's western, and most likely every other society it does rule.
My life is not too bad now, as I work for myself, but I do have my nephew Jesse come every morning before school and then I take him to school, so I have that time restraint. And I love having Jesse, but it is a pain, because sometimes I just want to stay in my pj's, or go for a longer walk, but I can't. Having said that I wouldn't miss out on the "time" I get with my nephew for all the walks under the sun.

TBH, the Australian Aboriginals have been treated dreadfully, and as their culture is so different to ours it leaves them in a really bad state. Some live in slums in cities and are avoided by the mass population, some live still in village style communities in the outback, they aren't much better off. Some do live, work and operate the same as the whites, but its really hard when there is a lot of bad blood between the two. I have aboriginal friends, and I have met aboriginals that I find very intimidating. Unfortunately our governments in recent times have gone overboard in silly, futile ways to appease them for what has been done to the aboriginals since the white invasion and Captain Cook. But I really think that the aboriginals themselves don't know what will really help the situation. There is no easy answer. My cousin is married to an aboriginal and one of my best friends is aboriginal.

_Ju_
09-Sep-08, 06:35
their are scientists working on creating wormholes and they have managed to create them though they only lasted a couple of milli secconds and were about a few atoms wide by a meter long.the only down side is as soon as they open they start to close,so you have a good chance of being crushed,somewhere in time unless they find a way of stabilising it and keeping it open.

No one has "yet" created wormholes. Theoretically they are possible. Theoretically they also require antimatter to be created, something which we haven't found yet. Scientists hope that the new hadron collider will help understand worm and black holes better.

Sapphire2803
09-Sep-08, 09:10
No one has "yet" created wormholes. Theoretically they are possible. Theoretically they also require antimatter to be created, something which we haven't found yet. Scientists hope that the new hadron collider will help understand worm and black holes better.

If anyone does happen to get this time travel thing sorted today, could they please let me know? I need to scoot back over to last night and see if i can do a better job of getting a night's sleep.
I actually read that as - No one has "yet" created wombles! :eek:

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 10:17
Yes it would be handy to have the next years worth of lottery numbers and we could build a machine to create an even bigger black hole.

Rheghead
09-Sep-08, 17:20
Theoretically they also require antimatter to be created, something which we haven't found yet.

From wikipedia

In 1995 CERN announced that it had successfully created nine antihydrogen atoms by implementing the SLAC/Fermilab concept during the PS210 experiment. The experiment was performed using the Low Energy Antiproton Ring (LEAR), and was led by Walter Oelert and Mario Macri. Fermilab soon confirmed the CERN findings by producing approximately 100 antihydrogen atoms at their facilities.

Rheghead
09-Sep-08, 17:32
Yes it would be handy to have the next years worth of lottery numbers and we could build a machine to create an even bigger black hole.

Is that called a financial black hole? I wondered what it was.

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 19:17
Is that called a financial black hole? I wondered what it was.

A financially sound black hole, I could be the best risk analysis in the business. :lol:

Angel
09-Sep-08, 21:48
In 2008 Angel announced that she had successfully created ten varnished fingernail by implementing the Maybelyne Fast Dry (MFD) method concept during the 12:30 lunchbreak experiment. The experiment was performed using the Do Everything Else First idea (DEEF), and was led by Myself and a cup of cofee. Angel soon confirmed the DEEF results, producing approximately 100% high gloss atoms at their facilities, proving organisation and logical progression created time and an excelent finish.

Angel

teenybash
09-Sep-08, 22:10
In 2008 Angel announced that she had successfully created ten varnished fingernail by implementing the Maybelyne Fast Dry (MFD) method concept during the 12:30 lunchbreak experiment. The experiment was performed using the Do Everything Else First idea (DEEF), and was led by Myself and a cup of cofee. Angel soon confirmed the DEEF results, producing approximately 100% high gloss atoms at their facilities, proving organisation and logical progression created time and an excelent finish.

Angel
And it all happened in Caithness where some of the most astute minds of the MFD and DEEF Scientific Institute work tirelessly to prove the theory of The Importance of the Polished Fingernail to those of the female gender.
To date experiments in the High Gloss area have been a total success and Angels team are soon to embark on the new project of The Perfect Eyelash Length with the use of Over the Counter Mascaras These experiments will be of particular importance in enhancing the the journey through time, which should be kept to a minimum in connection to linear time......:p

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 22:12
I am rather concerned at your post Angel regarding your completion of the MFD using the DEEF method as you have not mentioned RA (Risk Assessment) or the use of PPE (Personal Protective equipment). Looking at the WRULD (work related upper limb disorders) and on recommendation of the HHSE (Health and Safety Executive), an RA should have been carried out to RA RSI(Repetitive Strain Injuries) and PPE prior to commencing the procedure. Then if all of that was done you could use the evidence for CPD(Continued Professional development.

So in future please RA RSI & PPE in accordance with HSE recommendation as published in WRULD in order to complete MFD using the DEEF method for CPD. ;)

Kenn
09-Sep-08, 22:12
But I thought it was all a question of which pigeon hole one went into or according so some more modern theorists which trouser of time.
What's with the worm holes do we have to be up really early to catch one and what about the Lunar Blackbirds would we not be depriving them of their dinner?
Now quarks I understand they are the mating calls of the interstellar ducks
I gather too that there are some strange particles that exist in principle, where ever that might be, but other than theorising they have never been actually sighted.
Besides how can one travel on a chronometer, do you sit side saddle and what about filing a flight plan?
I shall just continue to watch this thread.

Whitewater
09-Sep-08, 22:27
With all this discussion about time travel, you are not really trying to tell me that Dr Who is not true. I'm gutted, really gutted. I'll just have to turn my allegiance to Star Wars now and prey that the force will be with me.

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 22:40
With all this discussion about time travel, you are not really trying to tell me that Dr Who is not true. I'm gutted, really gutted. I'll just have to turn my allegiance to Star Wars now and prey that the force will be with me.

You are totally out of touch with reality, look at the other posts. May the bin be with you.

joxville
09-Sep-08, 22:53
I am rather concerned at your post Angel regarding your completion of the MFD using the DEEF method as you have not mentioned RA (Risk Assessment) or the use of PPE (Personal Protective equipment). Looking at the WRULD (work related upper limb disorders) and on recommendation of the HHSE (Health and Safety Executive), an RA should have been carried out to RA RSI(Repetitive Strain Injuries) and PPE prior to commencing the procedure. Then if all of that was done you could use the evidence for CPD(Continued Professional development.

So in future please RA RSI & PPE in accordance with HSE recommendation as published in WRULD in order to complete MFD using the DEEF method for CPD. ;)

Perhaps Angel had previously carried out a Task Specific Risk Assessment which would then become a Generic Task, negating the need for any further T.S.R.A's. :)

Welcomefamily
09-Sep-08, 23:53
Perhaps Angel had previously carried out a Task Specific Risk Assessment which would then become a Generic Task, negating the need for any further T.S.R.A's. :)

Correct me if I am wrong but for it to be a generic task it would not have an assigned time or date where as Angel has specified a time ie 12.30
Likewise in recording the task implementation reference would be made to the RA or TSRA.

joxville
10-Sep-08, 17:12
Correct me if I am wrong but for it to be a generic task it would not have an assigned time or date where as Angel has specified a time ie 12.30
Likewise in recording the task implementation reference would be made to the RA or TSRA.

I stand corrected. Angel specified it as an experiment and it appears to have been successful so in the future she shouldn't need to carry out a R.A.

However, should she wish to decorate the digits on the lower extremities of said body then a further Risk Assessment will be needed. Dangers involved in the process are:

1. The 'locking-up' of lower back if attempted whilst seated

2. The 'buckling' of knees if attempted with one leg propped on edge of a bath

The second also carries the danger of the body toppling over and spillage of the gloss.