PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Edinburgh Folkies.

Blondie
08-Sep-08, 12:28
I'm coming to Edinburgh shortly and wondered if you could recommend a good Indian restaurant and also an Italian restaurant.

Thanks.

Angela
08-Sep-08, 12:38
You'll be spoilt for choice Blondie -whereabouts will you be staying?

Weegies would say they have much better Indian and Italian restaurants than we have, and in fact I do think that's true, but some of ours are very good indeed.

I don't eat out a lot these days, so my recommendations might be a bit out of date! I'm sure other folk will be able to suggest good places though.:)

Yum, yum!!:D

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Sep-08, 12:49
Indian? There can be only place to go - Khushis. An amazing experience, both on the taste buds and on the eyes. Enjoy. www.khushis.com/1024/index.html

Italian? Vittoria - no question. You can find them halfway down Leith Walk and on George IV Bridge. You'll thank me.

AfternoonDelight
08-Sep-08, 12:58
I lived in Edinburgh for a number of years and can honestly say the best Indian I have been to is the Indian Cavalry Club in Coates Crescent, West End...

I agree witht the Vittoria's shout - he makes great pasta!! :Razz

KCI
08-Sep-08, 13:11
I don't know about Indian restaurants, but I would also agree with Vittoria's near Leith Walk.
A large group of us went there a couple of years ago, when I was visiting friends. The food was lovely - would go back there any time I am back in Edinburgh! :D

Bad Manners
08-Sep-08, 13:40
If it's italian you want there is Jollys at the top of Leith walk (good food and great banter) of you have Julliano's on the shore at leith harbour it cnat be beaten in my opinion.

Hibeechick
08-Sep-08, 13:48
Love the Indian in Mussleburgh, can't remember the name of it though doh!

loobyloo
08-Sep-08, 19:14
I lived in Edinburgh for a number of years and can honestly say the best Indian I have been to is the Indian Cavalry Club in Coates Crescent, West End...

Agree, with both. Cavalry Club in absolutely fantastic: best curry I've ever had. Except for the International in Bradford but I digress :)

Blondie
08-Sep-08, 19:58
Indian? There can be only place to go - Khushis. An amazing experience, both on the taste buds and on the eyes. Enjoy. www.khushis.com/1024/index.html

Italian? Vittoria - no question. You can find them halfway down Leith Walk and on George IV Bridge. You'll thank me.

Thanks for your reply. Tell me, is it awkward having to bring your own wine with you? Thats putting me off a little.

golach
08-Sep-08, 20:43
These are the most popular Indian Restaurants amongst my pals

http://passagetoindiaedinburgh.com/index.html

http://www.rajontheshore.com/welcome.htm

http://www.britanniaspice.co.uk/

And yes Vittoria's is one of the best Italians

http://www.vittoriarestaurant.com/onthewalk/onthewalk-menus.htm

Melancholy Man
08-Sep-08, 20:51
I second all of the above, and add that for a cheap and cheerful dinner to try the kitchen at the Saudi mosque.

Tristan
08-Sep-08, 21:02
Kalpna (or something like that) is a vegetarian version that is very good (at least it was 4 years ago) and often gets very good reviews.

George Brims
09-Sep-08, 01:24
There is a really nice Italian place on South Bridge opposite Old College. I forget the name, but we've eaten there a couple of time when visiting Auld Reekie.

Duncansby
09-Sep-08, 16:43
I would also strongly recommend Khushi's but another favourite of mine is Voujon on Newington Road on the South side of the city. It's more intimate and the food is delicious and the service great. There's also a nice Italian - Restorante Sambuca - just around the corner on Causewayside, the food and service is excellent but the decor is a little uninspiring and sterile.

poppett
09-Sep-08, 17:11
Mama Roma opposite the Playhouse theatre at the top of Leith Walk was a favourite when we lived in Edinburgh. Britannia Spice our Indian favourite and the bonus being it was practically on the doorstep.

Hope you enjoy, wherever you go.

hotrod4
09-Sep-08, 17:13
I second all of the above, and add that for a cheap and cheerful dinner to try the kitchen at the Saudi mosque.

Wasnt that the place that was on the telly? The woman who ate scptland or something?

golach
09-Sep-08, 19:42
Mama Roma opposite the Playhouse theatre at the top of Leith Walk was a favourite when we lived in Edinburgh. Britannia Spice our Indian favourite and the bonus being it was practically on the doorstep.

Hope you enjoy, wherever you go.
Britannia Spice is where Wee Fat Eck Salmond gets his Cerry oots , does that make it a good place [lol]

Blondie
17-Nov-08, 20:50

Bringing this back up. This is the indian that we eventually went to. It was wonderful. Would def go back.

Didn't get around to an italian but maybe next time.

Thanks for all the recommendations :D