PDA

View Full Version : New camera - what should I do?

cazmanian_minx
07-Sep-08, 21:34
I currently have a Canon EOS 300D, used with the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens, a 70-300mm Sigma and two kit lenses from my old film EOS 300. It's been a great camera, but it's starting to show its age.

I should, hopefully, be completing on my flat sale in the next few weeks and I want to treat myself to an upgrade out of the proceeds.

My dilemma is whether I should buy a 5D now (Ffordes has a nearly new one for £899 at the moment) and splash out on an L lens to go with it (Ffordes also has a nearly new 300mm F2.8 L and a 2x convertor...) or wait for a couple more months to see if Canon announces the 5D's successor.

I've read that the accepted wisdom is that money is better invested in good lenses than a good body, but I'm not sure if this is just my need for instant gratification kicking in! What do you guys think?

North Light
07-Sep-08, 21:50
I think I would wait, the 5D replacement is very likely to be announced prior to Photokina at the end of this month, i.e. in the next two weeks.
Wait and see what the new camera has to offer, Ffordes regularly have second hand 5D'd for sale, the 300 F2,8 is different, these are not that common secondhand, if it's in good condition, and a good price I would expect it to sell quickly.

cazmanian_minx
07-Sep-08, 21:50
Oh rats - have just found out about the new 50D. That *really* hasn't helped me!

grumpyhippo
07-Sep-08, 21:51
You could always see the error of your ways and change to Nikon ........http://www.nikon.com/:lol::lol:

North Light
07-Sep-08, 21:51
I would still wait, and see what each camera has to offer.

cazmanian_minx
08-Sep-08, 06:43
I think I would wait, the 5D replacement is very likely to be announced prior to Photokina at the end of this month, i.e. in the next two weeks.
Wait and see what the new camera has to offer, Ffordes regularly have second hand 5D'd for sale, the 300 F2,8 is different, these are not that common secondhand, if it's in good condition, and a good price I would expect it to sell quickly.

Hmm, if the flat completes soon then, I might nab the lens and wait on the body!

Raven
08-Sep-08, 08:08
I would certainly get a good lens first, as your 18-55 is not the best piece of glas you can put infront of a cam. I can recommend each of my L lenses and I would hate to not have one now.
Although I am covered from 17 to 400 mm in L lenses I am planning to get the 70-200L IS USM in (hopefullly) the very near future :-)
Having the 5d myself I can only recommend it as a full frame cam is a totally different experience. You see what you get in the viewfinder and I also love that the cam has no "lazy user modes" such as sports, macro, landscape etc, this way you will have to work out everything yourself to make it work.
If you want to go for a full frame camera, go for it, if you rather want to wait for the
50d you will end up with another crop factor cam.
Decisions, decisions, decisions....

North Light
08-Sep-08, 08:35
Raven,
I certainly agree with you about the full frame, I used a 5D for over two years and was always more than pleased with the quality, which was a real step change from a Canon 20D, but I would still wait for two reasons.

1. The 5D sensor is now relatively old technology, it is very likely that the 5D replacement will have a better dynamic range (ability to cope with highlights and shadows), and better high ISO performance.

2. When the 5D replacement is available there will be a quite a few 5D's coming on the market with an inevitable reduction in it's secondhand value.

The 5D is a great camera, and is already a real bargain secondhand, but I would wait a few weeks yet.

Raven
08-Sep-08, 08:56
Raven,
I certainly agree with you about the full frame, I used a 5D for over two years and was always more than pleased with the quality, which was a real step change from a Canon 20D, but I would still wait for two reasons.

1. The 5D sensor is now relatively old technology, it is very likely that the 5D replacement will have a better dynamic range (ability to cope with highlights and shadows), and better high ISO performance.

2. When the 5D replacement is available there will be a quite a few 5D'd coming on the market with an inevitable reduction in it's secondhand value.

The 5D is a great camera, and is already a real bargain secondhand, but I would wait a few weeks yet.

Funny though, I had a 20d before too and I loved it, but I agree, quite a step up.
In an ideal world I am waiting for a 6d, which must come sooner or later:lol:

Deemac
08-Sep-08, 11:12
Although I am covered from 17 to 400 mm in L lenses I am planning to get the 70-200L IS USM in (hopefullly) the very near future :-) Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Funny enough Raven this is top of my shoping list just now as well. I assume your looking at the f2.8 version? Via Hong Kong for less than £700 including delivery!!!

I to would also recommend waiting until the replacement 5D is announced. I would also wait at least a year after that for the price to come down to a sensible level. (unless of course your very talented and get to win one in a competition:-))

nirofo
08-Sep-08, 13:02
Canon is sure to update the 3 year old 5D very soon in order to compete with the Nikon D700 which is receiving rave reviews at the moment! I would go for the lens now and upgrade the new 5D replacement body later when all the price wars have steadied down. Go the Hong Kong route, you'll save hundreds of pounds, you can buy an international 3 year warranty for the camera for not much more than £30. I have bought several items from there recently with no problems whatsoever, the latest was a Benro carbon fibre tripod and a ball head, (both unashamed copies of Gitzo and Arca which cost about 4 times the price). I can reccommend the tripod / ball head combination to anybody looking to upgrade to excellent kit.

nirofo.

cazmanian_minx
08-Sep-08, 17:05
Thanks everyone, I'll sit on my hands for a few weeks longer!

Now working my way through the 200 photos I took last week acting as tour guide for my Mum's first visit up here...

Raven
17-Sep-08, 11:37
Here you go, just announced... thats the one to splash out to :-)

NICE piece of kit!!!

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/index.html

Deemac
17-Sep-08, 12:03
Yup, this is now on my shopping list (though probably in 6 months to a year from now) Still very happy with my 40D.

A 21 megapixel full frame sensor sounds wonderful (along with the 1080i HD movie feature etc)

Still bemused by the price comparing the US RRP to the UK RRP (someone in Japan has a strange exchange rate!!)

North Light
17-Sep-08, 13:25
It certainly looks interesting, if you look at the history of the 5D the price will drop next year, from my memory the 5D was down to about £1500 to £1600 at one year old, at this price it will be a very good buy.

To me, as an ex 5D user the significant improvements will be:-

Weather Sealing
Significantly improved dynamic range.
Improved low light performance.

I am not as convinced about the increase in mp, unless you print to A2 regularly the difference between 12-15 and 21 is not significant.

All in all it looks as though Canon will have another winner.

An interesting aside is that by December/January I would expect there to be a significant number of used 5D's available, a "Mint" condition one could be got for around £800-£900 from a reputable dealer. The 5D is still a very good camera.

If you are interested in the development of the combined Video/Still camera have a look at this article.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml
The cameras from RED look particularly interesting.

cazmanian_minx
18-Sep-08, 08:39
Here you go, just announced... thats the one to splash out to :-)

NICE piece of kit!!!

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos5dm2/index.html

Oh wow!

OK, I know you should never buy a new camera the moment it's launched and I know that the price will drop in 6 months' time, but damn it - this is a piece of kit that's going to last me at least 5 years and will give me an awful lot of pleasure. The moment my flat sale completes, I'm getting my name down for one!!

Raven
18-Sep-08, 09:28
Oh wow!

OK, I know you should never buy a new camera the moment it's launched and I know that the price will drop in 6 months' time, but damn it - this is a piece of kit that's going to last me at least 5 years and will give me an awful lot of pleasure. The moment my flat sale completes, I'm getting my name down for one!!

I think it`s available from December or so, so plenty of time to dream about;)

When telling my oh the price of the 5dmk2 he said that I have got a good body and that I do not need a new one[lol]