PDA

View Full Version : LPG/Electric central heating

stekar
02-Jan-06, 22:49
Was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding changing LPG central heating to electric.

Know electric is an expensive form of heating, but filling up our gas tank is astronomical!!! Not mentioning the supplier, but they aren't good on deliveries. Have to ring them up to chase the delivery everytime. They were supposed to deliver the week before Christmas, and we are still waiting.

So want to swap to an electric boiler, just wondered if anyone else had swapped?
Thanks

genisis
02-Jan-06, 23:55
Hi we changed from oil to solid fuel (wood predominately) and haven't looked back since. We have had both lpg and electric in the past but far prefer solid fuel now. We put in a Rayburn that does the central heating and hot water and it really has paid for itself time over.

tillygirl
03-Jan-06, 11:17
I think it's a good idea to change to either electric- although watch out for power cuts if everything runs on it- or solid fuel. LPG is a very expensive way of heating your house although I do like it for cooking. Still, food for thought for me too about changing...

captain chaos
03-Jan-06, 23:22
These are typical heating costs

Fuel Heating System Type Cost*

£ Per Annum

Mains Gas Condensing Boiler 400
Mains Gas Conventional Boiler 474
Oil Condensing Boiler 401
Oil Conventional Boiler 482
LPG Condensing Boiler 891
LPG Conventional Boiler 1070
Solid Fuel Gravity-fed solid fuel boiler using anthracite grains 661
Solid Fuel Open fire with back boiler using House coal 717
Solid Fuel Solid fuel room heater using anthracite 699
Electricity Economy 7 - storage heaters in living rooms and panel heaters in bedrooms with an immersion heater for hot water 622
Electricity Off-peak electricity for electric heaters and immersion heater 1117

Source - Comparative Domestic Heating Costs for South East region SALKENT October 2003.

*Costs include room and hot water heating, standing charges, maintenance costs and pump running costs.

stekar
04-Jan-06, 23:30
LPG Condensing Boiler 891
LPG Conventional Boiler 1070

Blimey! Knew it was costing us a fortune, but....

Been looking into getting an electric boiler to run the central heating, not sure if it's a good idea.
Rayburns are brilliant, but the kitchen would have to be redone and it's a new kitchen.
Btw, still waiting for our gas delivery which was due before Christmas. Don't have the heating on much, but it cost us £440 to fill the tank up two and half months ago and there's not much left in there again.
When we were on mains gas in our previous house we paid £420 for whole year!

carasmam
05-Jan-06, 17:59
Electricity Economy 7 - storage heaters in living rooms and panel heaters in bedrooms with an immersion heater for hot water 622
I reckon you can double that amount :rolleyes: