PDA

View Full Version : smoking

Tom Cornwall
07-Sep-08, 18:58
I have been doing some,albeit unscientific, observations, ie sitting watching the world go by, down town, and I have noticed that the number of girls, young ladies and women and older women smokers (in public) far out number the number of males. I wonder if women don't believe what's being told to them by the medical profession, or are they trying to catch up with men (who used to smoke, but have managed to stop). Or perhaps they don't have the will-power or perhaps they are just being silly. Anyway, why do they do it, after all the bad publicity smoking has had??

changilass
07-Sep-08, 19:23
Maybe the do it just because that is their choice - luckily we still have freedom of choice in some things in this country.

Smokers seem to get worse press these days than bliddy murderers[evil]

teenybash
07-Sep-08, 20:15
I think they do it because they 'Want' to................:roll:

brandy
07-Sep-08, 20:30
well im female and ive never smoked a cigarette in my life, have no inclination to and very seriously doubt i ever will. so its not all us girls out there smoking,

Welcomefamily
07-Sep-08, 22:56
They are making a statement, a deep desire to do man things. :lol:

justine
08-Sep-08, 09:30
its to keep their left hand busy whilst they hold their pint in the other.!:eek:

Just wondering, do you watch young men and boys as intensely.

telfordstar
08-Sep-08, 10:58
well im female and ive never smoked a cigarette in my life, have no inclination to and very seriously doubt i ever will. so its not all us girls out there smoking,

Im with you brandy ive never smoked in my like and have no intention of starting either im fair proud of myself as all my mates were scrimping and saving there dinner money at school just to buy a 10 pack they were starving and i was full :D

pat
08-Sep-08, 11:28
have also noticed more women smoking than men - all ages and employment status.

It does not seem to be an economy thing - not poorer households smoking more as it used to be, just generally more females smoking than males, irrespective of earning capacity.

It may be to look more macho - anyone any other ideas?

TC will be sitting watching folk generally - he is a people watcher, likes to see the odd idiosyncracies people have and comment on them. He will be noticing these things as he goes about his employment - dealing with the public, mainly outside, noticing the smokers are mainly female as they have a last few puffs before extinguishing their cigarettes as they prepare to enter into non smoking areas.

TC - the weather is great up here today!

golach
08-Sep-08, 11:48
Maybe the do it just because that is their choice - luckily we still have freedom of choice in some things in this country.

Smokers seem to get worse press these days than bliddy murderers[evil]
So I take it your tablets have not worked Changi [lol]

changilass
08-Sep-08, 12:04
You would take it wrong golach, I aint somked in over 6 months now, just get annoyed at folks having a go all the time

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 12:29
When I smoked it was just because I actually liked it, I could easily go back to it, but I choose not to. So just maybe they like it more than they are worried about it. And believe it or not, it is a really hard addiction to give up. :D

TBH
08-Sep-08, 13:59
Maybe they think they'll be alright if they don't inhale.

Nibbler
08-Sep-08, 14:05
One reason why it seems to be more females smoking than males may be (rightly or wrongly) a weight issue.

It is often thought that smoking helps keep you slimmer as, instead of eating, they choose to have a cigarette. To stop smoking, well, that may lead to putting on weight and in today's society, especially with the younger females, putting on weight is a big no no.

I myself smoke. Do so now for the addiction but still enjoy a couple of the ones I have daily. I need to stop though and will be (hopefully) shortly :eek:.

If I do put on weight (which more than likely I will) it will be a battle of wills not to go back on the cigarettes to prevent any more weight gain. Not that I am vain or anything. I just dont want to put on weight.

Ash
08-Sep-08, 14:10
im female and i dont smoke in fact i hate it, alot of my family smoke, id never date someone who smokes.....

hotrod4
08-Sep-08, 15:11
I have been doing some,albeit unscientific, observations, ie sitting watching the world go by, down town, and I have noticed that the number of girls, young ladies and women and older women smokers (in public) far out number the number of males. I wonder if women don't believe what's being told to them by the medical profession, or are they trying to catch up with men (who used to smoke, but have managed to stop). Or perhaps they don't have the will-power or perhaps they are just being silly. Anyway, why do they do it, after all the bad publicity smoking has had??

As a man I find this a bit "sexist" so heaven knows how all the weemen feel!!!
I think women have more will power than men(try winning an argument with the wife!).
I havent noticed an ever increasing amount of female smokers in Wick so maybe its a geographical thing as opposed to a gender thing??? ;)

wifie
08-Sep-08, 15:40
Well recently I attended a wedding dance and was amazed at the number of young people there who smoked - male and female. Just shows that the money the government puts into trying to stop smoking is wasted! I don't like smoking but do feel it is a matter of choice and choice is the thing that is slowly being taken away from all of us!

Lolabelle
08-Sep-08, 22:41
A lot of people do put on weight when they give up smoking, but I thinks it is a bit of swapping addictions, I certainly did. I started eating lollies to counteract the need for nicotine (sp?)

Just a thought ...:eek:

TBH
08-Sep-08, 22:50
You would take it wrong golach, I aint somked in over 6 months now, just get annoyed at folks having a go all the timeThank the heavens. An ex-smoker that hasn't taken the holier than thou attitude that most do having given up smoking.

A lot of people do put on weight when they give up smoking, but I thinks it is a bit of swapping addictions, I certainly did. I started eating lollies to counteract the need for nicotine (sp?)

Just a thought ...:eek:I thought you would have called yourself, 'Lollybelle' in that case?

northener
09-Sep-08, 00:09
I've got to agree with TC on this.

If you observe any mixed group of teenage people - it will be mainly the girls who are smoking, not the boys. That's not 'sexist' thats an observation on my part.

Kevin Milkins
09-Sep-08, 09:52
I've got to agree with TC on this.

If you observe any mixed group of teenage people - it will be mainly the girls who are smoking, not the boys. That's not 'sexist' thats an observation on my part.

It came to mind with me as well .
It does seem more girls than boys smoke nowadays.
I have put on over 2 stone since giving up just over a year ago.
I feel now that I have cracked the smoking habit so now is the time to look at loosing some wieght.:confused
As for having the choice, its down to the individual if they want to smoke or not and it is hard to give up .

katarina
09-Sep-08, 10:14
Well i'm female amd I've never smoked and neither does my youngest daughter. My eldest daughter gave up after her dad died from lung cancer. Smokers know the risks and are still prepared to take them. It's a case of 'it can't happen to me' but believe me, it can - and in many cases it will.
I would say t o all smokers - the risks to our health are all out there - for God's sake - why increase them? give up before it's too late. I'm not being holier than thou - just someone who has had to suffer the aftermath.