PDA

View Full Version : Tracking a container on a boat.

Welcomefamily
07-Sep-08, 11:43
On the BBC news this morning they said they had put a tracking device in a large container on a container ship and they were going to follow its journey around the globe.

What a brillant idea I said, I will have to make a note of the web site :).

At which point my youngest child accused me of being sad which was then down graded to an old sado by another child and my wife. :~(

I feel quite enthusatic about the whole notion but nobody else does. Have I finally flip or do other people think this is an interesting concept.

Kevin Milkins
07-Sep-08, 12:19
I find the concept interesting , but the reality.??
I think I am with your wife and kids on this one.lol A boat will no doubt have a route to follow and a timtable to match so I would not find that very stimulating.:confused
If the concept of tracking somthing appeals to you then Deshar and Nethy are the 2 Ospreys that were succesfully fledged from Loch Garten ,Abernethy and were fitted with satalite do-da things.
They have now flown the nest and are migrating south for the winter. They are currently on the south coast and about ready to cross the channel for there next leg of there eppic journey. I hope you find this link interesting.
Regards KM
www.rspb.org.uk/ospreytracking (http://www.rspb.org.uk/ospreytracking)

poppett
07-Sep-08, 14:31
Had a car part sent up to Thurso on Monday by "overnight courier" although the bloke doesn`t know which one. It still isn`t here and knowing my luck it`s in that container on the ship being tracked. Either that or lying in a depot in Glasgow or Edinburgh until there are enough parcels to come to Thurso.

If it wasn`t so maddening I would be laughing.

Nibbler
07-Sep-08, 14:35
On the BBC news this morning they said they had put a tracking device in a large container on a container ship and they were going to follow its journey around the globe.

At which point my youngest child accused me of being sad which was then down graded to an old sado by another child and my wife. :~(

I feel quite enthusatic about the whole notion but nobody else does. Have I finally flip or do other people think this is an interesting concept.

Welcomefamily, its each to their own. As I say, whatever floats your boat (pardon the pun) :lol:

I myself, would not find this interesting but Kevin's suggestion would appeal more to me (if I had the time).

Tugmistress
07-Sep-08, 14:38
Knowing a little about shipping i must admit i find it interesting.
the container will only stay on the ship until it's destination port and then it can either be emptied/loaded at port and go somewhere else in the world on another ship or it can be loaded onto a lorry and taken somewhere for unloading/loading and a while later be picked up by another lorry and head off to whoever knows where.
yeah ok i know, i'm sad and got no social life so the neep keeps telling me lol

teenybash
07-Sep-08, 14:57
WF you have well and truly flipped....sorry you have done it...gone round the bend, me fears...........of course you could always watch paint dry as an interesting alternative ....LOL [lol]

Mik.M.
07-Sep-08, 19:57
Knowing a little about shipping i must admit i find it interesting.
the container will only stay on the ship until it's destination port and then it can either be emptied/loaded at port and go somewhere else in the world on another ship or it can be loaded onto a lorry and taken somewhere for unloading/loading and a while later be picked up by another lorry and head off to whoever knows where.
yeah ok i know, i'm sad and got no social life so the neep keeps telling me lol
You will have a social life soon,once you become a biker chic!

2little2late
08-Sep-08, 00:39

Have you got a link to the website?

tigger2u
08-Sep-08, 00:52
its www.bbc.co.uk/thebox (http://www.bbc.co.uk/thebox)

wifie
08-Sep-08, 01:00
Had a car part sent up to Thurso on Monday by "overnight courier" although the bloke doesn`t know which one. It still isn`t here and knowing my luck it`s in that container on the ship being tracked. Either that or lying in a depot in Glasgow or Edinburgh until there are enough parcels to come to Thurso.

If it wasn`t so maddening I would be laughing.

Maybe you should have got the birds to bring the part! ;)

wifie
08-Sep-08, 01:01
"satalite do-da things" - Is this a technical term Kevin? ;)

router
08-Sep-08, 02:21
i worked on a job building tracking devices for tracking the movement of donkeys that were being introduced to another herd,same things were used for other animals also cars and any other vehicles and constuction plant.
you could send it a text message it would send one back with its location in latitude and longitude,depth height above and below sea level and speed.
all based on a nokia phone,although animal ones were a different build.
also built devices that let you when your horse was going to give birth,radio or satetlite!

Kevin Milkins
08-Sep-08, 02:33
"satalite do-da things" - Is this a technical term Kevin? ;)
No just a senior + org moment thing.lol:D

wifie
08-Sep-08, 02:35
Oooooh Senior + ! Are you more special than just a senior? ;)

Welcomefamily
08-Sep-08, 09:36
What interesting as tuggs said, where it goes next is based upon how soon it gets emptied and then its used for the next cargo to any where. Again its based on how soon its emptied. Its nice to have some thing with so many margins of error.