PDA

View Full Version : Changing gas fires - advice please

Sandra
02-Jan-06, 19:03
I would like to change my gas fire and need advice.

I live in an ex-council house, which is on mains gas, and has an rather out-dated looking outset gas fire, which is connected to a back boiler.

The back boiler provides heating and hot water etc. I have no when the back boiler/gas fire were installed.

I would like to change the gas fire to something more modern looking, and want to know if this is possible without having the change the back boiler.

Can anyone advise on this, or can you provide details of someone who can.

Many thanks.

tenabowla
02-Jan-06, 20:38
Hi generally the fire is independant from the boiler, but it would need to fit phsically into the space available in front of the boiler.

Jim

Sandra
02-Jan-06, 21:01
Ok thanks.

The current outset fire covers a space where I'm assuming the old coal fire once was, and I'm assuming the back boiler is in that space.

Does anyone know any gas engineers where I can find out about getting a new gas fire?

Fran
03-Jan-06, 00:36
The gas fire is not usually connected to the boiler. If for instance you have a baxi boiler as used in most council houses, then you can only have a baxi fire fitted. I found highland Heating in Lousburgh street,wick very helpful. i got my baxi coal and flame effect fire from them and they fitted it in very proficiently.