PDA

View Full Version : Live Music In Caithness

David B
06-Sep-08, 22:43
I will shortly be relocating from Aberdeenshire to Caithness.

What is the local music scene like and where are the live music venues.

I am mainly in to classic rock and metal but any live music is better than the usual disco/karaoke rubbish.

Any advice, views or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

moncur
07-Sep-08, 12:16
First names of pubs that come to mind are Newmarket & Y-Not in Thurso, Popeyes in Scrabster and the Blackstairs in Wick. They're probably the most regular haunts for live music (covers and originals). Every once in a while there'll be some bands playing in Skinandis early on before the Disco kicks in. They're getting good for bands from down south coming to play.

mostlyharmless
11-Sep-08, 19:25
Theres a regular open mic..monthly I think at the Y Not in Thurso .
The next date is the 18th September various sounds rock,jazz,soul, blues etc . Worth a visit!

David B
11-Sep-08, 20:41
Thanks for the comments.

I start work in Wick in November. Just got confirmation of the date today. I'll check out these places in due course.

My next musical dilemma - I have been drumming in a rock/punk covers band for 7 years. Do I retire from music gracefully (my mid life crisis has come and gone) or should I keep on drumming once I have settled in at Caithness?

My band, the Red Cortinas, only gigged a few times each year but it was a blast.

Decisions, decisions.

Are the local bands full of youngsters or are there "mature" band doing the local circuit?

hotrod4
12-Sep-08, 06:55
Thanks for the comments.

I start work in Wick in November. Just got confirmation of the date today. I'll check out these places in due course.

My next musical dilemma - I have been drumming in a rock/punk covers band for 7 years. Do I retire from music gracefully (my mid life crisis has come and gone) or should I keep on drumming once I have settled in at Caithness?

My band, the Red Cortinas, only gigged a few times each year but it was a blast.

Decisions, decisions.

Are the local bands full of youngsters or are there "mature" band doing the local circuit?

Bands in CAithness range in ages and style. It is a very varied scene up here. You will get cover bands and bands that do their own material. I am 38 and was singer in a band up here and the bassist and drummer were older than me!.
I would certainly advise getting back into music up here as its a very friendly music community that supports one another,you'd have no problems getting in a band in Caithness.