PDA

View Full Version : Eco friendly or not.

Kevin Milkins
06-Sep-08, 18:05
With much to do about binmen and the enviroment on the org at the moment I would like to pose a question.:roll:
I have already mentioned on another post about bins over flowing ,and the hole in the ozone is somthing of great concern to many.:(
I have coal central heating and in an attempt to lessen what goes in my bin and then on to landfill, I have took to burning anything that will burn on the fire.
Now my latest Dai-Lemma is "does the burning of waste IE milk cartons etc out weigh the cost and ongoing effect of sending it to landfill?:confused

pat
06-Sep-08, 19:35
here in Western Isles plastic is recycled so all my plastic is put for recycling every two weeks.

Tins, bottles, paper, organic waste, plastics, general waste which does not come into any other category, are all collected every two weeks, most of my organic waste goes into compost bins.

One thing I have difficulty understanding here on Western Isles - new houses have to have usually a wood burning stove? This appears completely illogical as there are so few trees - peat does not count as that will multifuel stove and that is not acceptable, it has to be a woodburning one.

Sure someone on here will advise which is the most eco friendly for you Kevin.

teenybash
06-Sep-08, 19:55
I burn everything that can be burnt and reduced to a handful of ash.......I think it's better than going to landfill here..or being transported all the way to India!!!!!!![disgust]

golach
06-Sep-08, 20:02
I am sure, you recycle milk bottles, we have discussed this on the Org before

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52620&highlight=recycle+plastic

Welcomefamily
06-Sep-08, 20:10
We take all plastic cartons to Thurso recycling.