PDA

View Full Version : your Hogmanay

Fran
02-Jan-06, 03:02
How was your hogmanay this year? was it too quiet, did you have first footers, did you go to the street party? did you feel lonely?
i had no first footers, saw none around my area and very quiet today, so drank the champagne myself today. i was at the wick street party helping out and it was a great success.
I miss the hogmanays of a few years ago when all the neighbours came in and people first footed and were still calling around on the 1st. this seems to have died down, i havent seen people wondering about with their carrier bags and bottles clinking in my area like they used to.

Sporran
02-Jan-06, 05:49
Our Hogmanay was very quiet. I got home from work around 10pm, expecting to be seeing the New Year in with our young grown-up kids, who still live at home. Hubby announced that they'd been invited to a friend's house, and were going to be staying overnight there. It seemed really strange bringing in the New Year on our own, I can tell you, lol! We watched the countdown to midnight in Times Square, New York on TV, and after flipping through channels, we decided to watch 'Ace Ventura:Pet Detective', which we'd seen years before. Much as I like Jim Carrey, I started falling asleep on the couch by 12.30, and decided to go to bed. Hubby couldn't keep his eyes open either, and came upstairs shortly after me. Ma and Pa Sporran were in the land of nod in no time at all. So much for an exciting Hogmanay, lol! :rolleyes:

PS
Fran, like you I miss the Hogmanays of old, when there were plenty of first-footers about. It's not done over here in the USA, as you probably know. Sad to hear it seems to be dying out in Caithness, though I think the Hogmanay street parties in Thurso and Wick are a great idea!

katarina
02-Jan-06, 09:52
not had a first footer yet unless you count members of my own family! The steet party was great as usual. Hogmanies are nothing like they used to be, with first footers trying to see how many houses they could get round in one night - now it seems to be organised parties. I suppose with the increase in crime, there is a safety aspect to having 'open house' as we used to.