PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again-council strike

balto
05-Sep-08, 18:23
just read on the text that the next strike date is going to be wednesday the 24th of september, why do they keep insisting on a wednesday, after all we pay the council tax the same as everyone else, yet we seem to be the only ones to suffer like this(the people their rubbish picked on a wednesday), we have just got rid of all the extra bags that we were left with last time, surely we should be due some money back for this after all isnt this part of why we pay council tax.

bobandag16
05-Sep-08, 19:13
just read on the text that the next strike date is going to be wednesday the 24th of september, why do they keep insisting on a wednesday, after all we pay the council tax the same as everyone else, yet we seem to be the only ones to suffer like this(the people their rubbish picked on a wednesday), we have just got rid of all the extra bags that we were left with last time, surely we should be due some money back for this after all isnt this part of why we pay council tax.
for no rep try sunday. god knows butb is not telling.

Welcomefamily
05-Sep-08, 19:50
It a good day to have it on, breaks up the week.

golach
05-Sep-08, 20:09
It a good day to have it on, breaks up the week.
Got to agree with you about breaking up the week, but I much prefered a Friday Strike, that gave you a nice long weekend. [lol]

silverfox57
05-Sep-08, 20:28
it could be that bin men having read last thread on org,about the number of people upset about Wednesdays strike think it would upset householders to complain more,

TBH
05-Sep-08, 20:36
Fantastic stuff, if it helps these workers attain a living wage then all power to them.

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 20:38
These strikes are getting worse and I sympathise with you Balto. It does look like they are out to get you!. Why cant people get a rebate on their council tax if the council fail to provide a service? That is what its for isnt it.If you dont turn up for work you dont get paid so the powers that be should at least arrange an extra pick up, or we may end up like the streets of Glasgow many years ago!!:(

TBH
05-Sep-08, 20:42
They are well within their rights to go on strike. Obviously it will cause disruption, otherwise what would be the point in striking?

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 20:49
Why cant they do a "pretend" strike?
With everything being so PC nowadays at least if they "pretend" to strike no-one will get hurt:)

wifie
05-Sep-08, 20:50
I am with TBH on this one - the whole point of striking is disruption! Have you asked the council for a reply re gettin yer bins emptied?

Billy Boy
05-Sep-08, 20:51
These strikes are getting worse and I sympathise with you Balto. It does look like they are out to get you!. Why cant people get a rebate on their council tax if the council fail to provide a service? That is what its for isnt it.If you dont turn up for work you dont get paid so the powers that be should at least arrange an extra pick up, or we may end up like the streets of Glasgow many years ago!!:(

If they arranged an extra pick up then that would defeat the purpose of striking in the first place lol

hotrod4
05-Sep-08, 20:56
If they arranged an extra pick up then that would defeat the purpose of striking in the first place lol

I know but it sounded good when I typed it, but once i read it I thought Numpie!!!!! ;)

Bad Manners
05-Sep-08, 21:22
A strike is just one of the tools the unions use to acheive their goal
ie a Living wage for its members. they use all the other tools in their box before using the last resort(strike) only through this action can they bring their case to the public. By causing us disturbance and problems are our actions with the council to put pressure on the to achive a suitable agreement. Remember if you were doing a underpaid job you would want to do all you could to get more money or better conditions.
so whilst it is a pain We have to support these people no one else is.

TBH
05-Sep-08, 21:42
A strike is just one of the tools the unions use to acheive their goal
ie a Living wage for its members. they use all the other tools in their box before using the last resort(strike) only through this action can they bring their case to the public. By causing us disturbance and problems are our actions with the council to put pressure on the to achive a suitable agreement. Remember if you were doing a underpaid job you would want to do all you could to get more money or better conditions.
so whilst it is a pain We have to support these people no one else is.Excellent point made there, these people need a living wage the same as anyone else, let's hope they get it.

Billy Boy
05-Sep-08, 21:48
What some should remember is that no one wants to strike, after all its costs them a days pay each day the strike is on and they are already on a low enough wage as it is, Some of them even live in the area's affected by the strike so they dont get their rubbish lifted either, so why dont all you folk who moan about your bins not being emptied stop and think of them aswell, they only work for the council they dont make the rules more's the pity.

TBH
05-Sep-08, 21:51
There will be plenty shouting to get the migrants in to do the job at a lower rate, I am sure the council would love to implement this but, would those people be willing to give up their own jobs to let a migrant do it at a lower rate?

golach
05-Sep-08, 23:32
What some should remember is that no one wants to strike, after all its costs them a days pay each day the strike is on and they are already on a low enough wage as it is, Some of them even live in the area's affected by the strike so they dont get their rubbish lifted either, so why dont all you folk who moan about your bins not being emptied stop and think of them aswell, they only work for the council they dont make the rules more's the pity.
Good on you Billy boy, for highlighting that the strikers lose wages and they pay council tax also , just like Balto, and that they also cannot get their bins emptied.

tigger2u
06-Sep-08, 00:40
I find it amazing that people will complain about the common worker striking for a decent wage yet they seem quiet when the higher managers get big pay raises most of which are higher than the cost of living.

gollach
06-Sep-08, 01:16
I'm with Balto. If the unions lose public support then they are unlikely to prgrress their claim for better wages.

Far better to spread the effect by having the strikes on different days of the week.

TBH
06-Sep-08, 01:33
I'm with Balto. If the unions lose public support then they are unlikely to prgrress their claim for better wages.

Far better to spread the effect by having the strikes on different days of the week.All members of the public should be supporting these worker.

EDDIE
06-Sep-08, 08:40
I just hope the council stays strong and does not give in to these demands and i hope the loss of a days wages for the workers that are striking affects them finicially just as much as it affects me when i dont get my bin emptyied.And the other positive side to the strike at least the council can save some money in not paying them wages for that day.
It makes you think sometimes with the one day strike if people can manage to go 2 weeks before getting there bins empty if everyone was willing to recycle more of there rubbish the council could start collecting the bins on afortnightly basis and then we wouldnt need so much bin men so we could pay some off them off and that would be a saving for the council.

Venture
06-Sep-08, 09:22
I just hope the council stays strong and does not give in to these demands and i hope the loss of a days wages for the workers that are striking affects them finicially just as much as it affects me when i dont get my bin emptyied.And the other positive side to the strike at least the council can save some money in not paying them wages for that day.
It makes you think sometimes with the one day strike if people can manage to go 2 weeks before getting there bins empty if everyone was willing to recycle more of there rubbish the council could start collecting the bins on afortnightly basis and then we wouldnt need so much bin men so we could pay some off them off and that would be a saving for the council.

You're all heart Eddie.

I too have my bin emptied on a Wednesday. I agree totally with what the council workers are doing. Their wages are a disgrace for what they do and I'm not only talking about bin men.

I did have extra rubbish to be uplifted after the strike but that was nobody's fault but my own as I could have been better organised. Not thinking that the strike would go ahead I didn't prepare for it. This time the workers are giving plenty of notice so everyone can at least "organise" their rubbish better. Two weeks is enough time to make sure you try and recycle as much as possible beforehand so as your bin can accomodate two week's of anything not able to be recycled.

This strike has certainly made me more aware of how much recycling I don't do, through laziness more than anything. Maybe more people should follow suit instead of moaning about it being the bin men's fault that their bin is overflowing. After all we are the one's who fill the bin in the first place.

Maybe if the fat cats on the council had a job swap week with the bin men and the other low paid workers, it might make them appreciate them more and pay them accordingly. Cutbacks are needed further up the ladder not at the bottom.

I for one appreciate the work being done by those going on strike and wish them every success with their pay claim.

Welcomefamily
06-Sep-08, 10:02
The problem with any pay rise is the ones at the top also get it so they get more as well. They should limit to staff under say 20K because they are the one who really needs it and give them a decent rise.

footie chick
06-Sep-08, 10:11
Maybe if the fat cats on the council had a job swap week with the bin men and the other low paid workers, it might make them appreciate them more and pay them accordingly. Cutbacks are needed further up the ladder not at the bottom.

I for one appreciate the work being done by those going on strike and wish them every success with their pay claim.

I totally agree with you but would the fat cats know what a days work is?? :roll:

Kevin Milkins
06-Sep-08, 10:16
They are certainly on a work to rule.
There are loads of bins that have not been emptied as the lid was not closed properly and any bags left out remain left out.
My grandaughter put a peice of cardboared in or paper recycle box ,and that got a sticker and remained unemptied.
If the council workers feel that this is the way to a means ,them good luck them, however if my bin was not emptied every Wednesday I would be seeking out that pie chart to see what my weekly cost of refuse collection amounted to and deduct it from my council tax.
Would you pay the coalman if he didnt deliver your coal?:confused

Sapphire2803
06-Sep-08, 10:21
I think the thing that a lot of people seem to have forgotten is that it's not just the bin men striking. If it were just the bin men, then I would agree that they should have picked a different day this time. In reality, I doubt the bin collection was given much though when they were choosing the day. The union leaders would have had to take into account much more critical services which will also be affected. Wednesday is probably the best day for these.
As for a council tax rebate for bin collection.... How much do you really think you would get back for one day? When you work out all the things your council tax pays for, if you were to estimate how much is for refuse collection and then work out one weeks payment, you probably wouldn't bother.

Kevin Milkins
06-Sep-08, 11:40
I think the thing that a lot of people seem to have forgotten is that it's not just the bin men striking. If it were just the bin men, then I would agree that they should have picked a different day this time. In reality, I doubt the bin collection was given much though when they were choosing the day. The union leaders would have had to take into account much more critical services which will also be affected. Wednesday is probably the best day for these.
As for a council tax rebate for bin collection.... How much do you really think you would get back for one day? When you work out all the things your council tax pays for, if you were to estimate how much is for refuse collection and then work out one weeks payment, you probably wouldn't bother.

I aggree with you Sapphiere that if it was just one day then you would not bother.
The point that Balto was making is that it is every Wednesday that just happen to be her or his collection day.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Sep-08, 12:02
They are certainly on a work to rule.
There are loads of bins that have not been emptied as the lid was not closed properly and any bags left out remain left out.
My grandaughter put a peice of cardboared in or paper recycle box ,and that got a sticker and remained unemptied.
If the council workers feel that this is the way to a means ,them good luck them, however if my bin was not emptied every Wednesday I would be seeking out that pie chart to see what my weekly cost of refuse collection amounted to and deduct it from my council tax.
Would you pay the coalman if he didnt deliver your coal?:confused

The binmen are not allowed to lift it if its not right. They have been told no extra bags. Their orders are from above. They are not being awkward just obeying the rules which they have been told to enforce.

Its a carpeting offence for them to disobey .:roll:

Its not a case of them being awkward its a case of not wanting a warning at work. I had a long chat with the binmen one day and it beggars belief the lengths the council are going to to make them comply with the rules.

So folks they are only the monkeys, not the organ grinders ( pardon the phrase )

Also would we hand on heart be happy to not have a decent pay rise and in effect take a pay cut for doing the exact same job except for with a little more agro from Jo Public because they are not getting quite the same service they were used to through no fault of the binmen but the bosses at the top.

Melancholy Man
06-Sep-08, 12:15
it could be that bin men having read last thread on org,about the number of people upset about Wednesdays strike think it would upset householders to complain more,

If they're reading now, perhaps they will consider, on those occassions they do uplift rubbish, to put a bit more effort into it. You know, if at first it doesn't empty, if there are items lodged in and not overflowing, to try again. Maybe even try just twice.

loobyloo
06-Sep-08, 12:30
If they're reading now, perhaps they will consider, on those occassions they do uplift rubbish, to put a bit more effort into it. You know, if at first it doesn't empty, if there are items lodged in and not overflowing, to try again. Maybe even try just twice.

My bin men are great. I have absolutely no complaints about them. They are polite, helpful, hard-working and deserve a decent living wage.

All power to them. :)

Sapphire2803
06-Sep-08, 12:33
My bin men are great. I have absolutely no complaints about them. They are polite, helpful, hard-working and deserve a decent living wage.

I second that :D

Amy-Winehouse
06-Sep-08, 12:48

As are mine, I used to have about 3-4 black bags picked up by them every week but since the new rules have been implemented , I have a bit of a problem.

The solution, & luckilly there is one , is to get my bin emptied on a Thursday , then throw in the 3-4 bags left over with any cardboard boxes-theres usually 1 at least & wheel the bin round the corner into the next street as they get their bins emptied on a friday.

I appreciate that this is not an option for most of you, We dont have a car so its very handy for us.

As for recycling some places also have a bin/box for glass- a few of these skips around Wick would be handier for those without cars- anyone else agree?

As for the strike, I see nothing wrong with it-give them the money they should be getting

Melancholy Man
06-Sep-08, 12:53
I like bin-men in their donkey jackets and Lonnie Denegan impressions, but also like empty bins! And, yes, mine is emptied on Wednesday.

Out of interest, how much are they paid?

Amy-Winehouse
06-Sep-08, 12:54
Not enough ,matey, not enough;)

Kevin Milkins
06-Sep-08, 12:58
The binmen are not allowed to lift it if its not right. They have been told no extra bags. Their orders are from above. They are not being awkward just obeying the rules which they have been told to enforce.

Its a carpeting offence for them to disobey .:roll:

Its not a case of them being awkward its a case of not wanting a warning at work. I had a long chat with the binmen one day and it beggars belief the lengths the council are going to to make them comply with the rules.

So folks they are only the monkeys, not the organ grinders ( pardon the phrase )

Also would we hand on heart be happy to not have a decent pay rise and in effect take a pay cut for doing the exact same job except for with a little more agro from Jo Public because they are not getting quite the same service they were used to through no fault of the binmen but the bosses at the top.

I didnt say they were being awkward , I stated the facts and I understand that they have rules to work to and they a working to them .
The rules and guidlines are there for a reason and I try always to stay within them.
The point I was making is that many people do leave there bins overflowing and put out extra bags.
As a result of this dispute it is obvious now that the binmen are working to the rules set down by managment as there is a lot of uncollected rubbish about.
I also wish the binmen a favorable outcome to this dispute.

Venture
06-Sep-08, 13:43
I like bin-men in their donkey jackets and Lonnie Denegan impressions, but also like empty bins! And, yes, mine is emptied on Wednesday.

Out of interest, how much are they paid?

I'm not sure about the bin men but there is a job advertised in the Groat this week and its £5.81 as a cleaning operative and £6,01 as a cleaning supervisor per hour in one of the schools. Pretty pathetic I'd say.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Sep-08, 13:51
I didnt say they were being awkward

As a result of this dispute it is obvious now that the binmen are working to the rules set down by managment as there is a lot of uncollected rubbish about.
I also wish the binmen a favorable outcome to this dispute.

I wasnt implying that you said they were being awkward :)

However it is not, as I was led to believe because of this dispute that they are now working to the rules. The binmen themselves apologised to us and siad if it were left to them they would lift a little extra but management reminded them they are not allowed to lift bags the policy changed recently.

Any of us who left out binbags or extra rubbish had a polite note stuck to our bin with the date of the change in policy which was within the last few months and an apology, they lifted the bags and wrote that they wouldnt be able to any more.

The lengths the council are willing to go to are beyond a joke to catch the binmen lifting what they are allowed :eek: .....the binmens words not mine.

I wish them all the best in their cause as I do all the others fighting for a decent pay rise.

Bad Manners
06-Sep-08, 15:26
My views on the bin men getting better paid have already been stated but there is another thread on the org refering to Katie Price AKA Jordan.
this woman gets paid a massive amount of money to talk trash should the bin men not get a little more for clearing it away mind you I would probably pay it out of my own pocket it they took her away and dumped her. But then again the council will have a rule about that too. probably too heavy to lift.

sjj278
06-Sep-08, 15:36

I completely agree, i also get my bins collected on wednesday, and also had to trek out to janetstown, it just seems to be the same people that have to suffer, i do agree they should strike if no other means if available and they do deserve better wages however why cant they choose another day of the week to strike rather than just upset the same people over an over. surely if they choose different days it would cause MORE people to complain as it disrupts more householders that way and it could help thier cause.

golach
06-Sep-08, 16:24
I completely agree, i also get my bins collected on wednesday, and also had to trek out to janetstown, it just seems to be the same people that have to suffer, i do agree they should strike if no other means if available and they do deserve better wages however why cant they choose another day of the week to strike rather than just upset the same people over an over. surely if they choose different days it would cause MORE people to complain as it disrupts more householders that way and it could help thier cause.
Its the Union that decides when the workers will withdraw their labour NOT the Caithness Council Dustmen, its just tough that your bin day falls on the day of the strike, but once again, the binmen are not picking on you deliberately

Solus
06-Sep-08, 16:29
we can all moan about not having our bins emptied for that day, but these folk are losing a days wages fighting for something they deserve. Specially in the present economic climate where every penny counts but they are willing to lose a days pay.

wifie
06-Sep-08, 16:32
Yep seems to me the folks wi the overflowing bins have to get their priorities sorted. Try puttin yersels in the shoes of those fighting.

Torvaig
06-Sep-08, 16:51
I second that :D

I'll third that! ;)

Maybe it is time we all started thinking (when buying) about the amount of packaging we go through in a week. I see many a bin overflowing when it goes out and on a windy day there are empty boxes, paper wrappings etc., after all manner of things, blowing about the street.

Why doesn't everyone make sure that their rubbish is packed into bin bags and tied securely. The least we can do, to help the binmen, is to be tidy in putting our rubbish out for collection.

Those who allow their rubbish to blow about the neighbourhood are no better than those who drop their sweetie papers or their take-away containers etc., with no thought of having responsibility for the place in which they live. Just because we have binmen doesn't mean that it is their responsibility for keeping our surroundings clean and tidy; that responsibility belongs to all of us.

Like many a social problem nowadays, there are those who continually take responsible actions but are thwarted at every corner by those who are selfish and uncaring. It's time that "citizenship" or similar social responsibility was taught again in schools (maybe it is?) to catch the younger population in time to teach them simple thoughtfullness.

Then maybe they will go home and teach their elders!

Billy Boy
06-Sep-08, 18:23
What really amuses me is that there is heavy rain and floods down south and folk are really suffering through severe damage to their property, some folk have even suffered the lose of their homes altogether yet here in good on Caithness are some who complain about not getting their bins emptied, Its good to know some have their priorities right eh! :confused

telfordstar
06-Sep-08, 19:26
we can all moan about not having our bins emptied for that day, but these folk are losing a days wages fighting for something they deserve. Specially in the present economic climate where every penny counts but they are willing to lose a days pay.

Well said :D

ocd
06-Sep-08, 21:09

OHMYGOD!!!! ... no stop now his post doesn't warrant a response!!!

balto
06-Sep-08, 21:14
i understand, why they are striking but this aint hurting the ones that pay their wages is it, just the ones that have to fork out for the council tax.

karia
06-Sep-08, 21:18
i understand, why they are striking but this aint hurting the ones that pay their wages is it, just the ones that have to fork out for the council tax.

Everyone pays the Council tax!:confused

balto
06-Sep-08, 21:19
Everyone pays the Council tax!:confused
exactly, so why should we have to suffer, when the rest dont!!

TBH
06-Sep-08, 21:21
i understand, why they are striking but this aint hurting the ones that pay their wages is it, just the ones that have to fork out for the council tax.So how would you suggest that these council workers go about getting a decent wage rise without going on strike?

balto
06-Sep-08, 21:23
So how would you suggest that these council workers go about getting a decent wage rise without going on strike?
i havent got a clue to be honest.

karia
06-Sep-08, 21:26
exactly, so why should we have to suffer, when the rest dont!!

Who are 'the rest' balto..the ones not suffering?:confused

golach
06-Sep-08, 21:26
Why complain on here about your bins not getting emptied? Why not complain to your Councillor and your MP and MSP, are they not in a better position to see that this dispute is resolved?

balto
06-Sep-08, 21:29
[quote=karia;428244]Who are 'the rest' balto..the ones not suffering?:confused[/quote

all i am saying it isnt fair, that aswell as the rest of the country we also pay our council tax, to get a service like everyone else, but yet we dont get our bins done.

golach
06-Sep-08, 21:35
Correct me if I am wrong Balto, but the strike is not just in Thurso, or just Caithness, but the whole of Scotland, we will all be affected in one way or another all over Scotland.

karia
06-Sep-08, 21:38
Right! So who are the ones not suffering....you didn't say!

It's not a Regional strike, it's a national one.

Billy Boy
06-Sep-08, 21:47
[quote=karia;428244]Who are 'the rest' balto..the ones not suffering?:confused[/quote

all i am saying it isnt fair, that aswell as the rest of the country we also pay our council tax, to get a service like everyone else, but yet we dont get our bins done.

Lol there are binmen who pay council tax and have to put up with not getting their bins emptied, If you squash cans and cartons and flatten cardboard you will be surprised how much more you will get into your bin.

There are a hell of a lot worse things going on in the world than not getting your bin emptied, there are people losing their lives in the floods down south, now to me that is something to complain about, Sorry but it makes your problem pale into insignificance in my eyes

karia
06-Sep-08, 21:53
[quote=balto;428247]

Lol there are binmen who pay council tax and have to put up with not getting their bins emptied, If you squash cans and cartons and flatten cardboard you will be surprised how much more you will get into your bin.

There are a hell of a lot worse things going on in the world than not getting your bin emptied, there are people losing their lives in the floods down south, now to me that is something to complain about, Sorry but it makes your problem pale into insignificance in my eyes

Well said!

highlander
06-Sep-08, 22:06
Ok some people are not getting thier bins emptyed, it is time people took a long look at what they are buying as too many manafactors put too much packaging on things, we bought a lamp shade from homebase last week, once we unwound it there was 30, yes i did say 30feet of celofane wrapped around it, i once read that someone suggested going back to the shop with the excessive packaging, what a good idea then they might stop and think about the cost extra costs they are putting on us, let them deal with the waste, going back to the bin men, rock on, have your strikes and i hope you win, cos at the end of the day you are only trying to look after your familys.

balto
06-Sep-08, 22:22
okay let them continue to strike,let all the rubbish be dumped somewhere else and the rats will be the next problem, i for one cant be bothered arguing you have your point i have mine end of.

wifie
06-Sep-08, 22:25

We all pay the council tax - including the fat cats! But we should all be askin where it is spent - including decent increments for the people doin the jobs that keep council services ticking over!

tootler
06-Sep-08, 22:29
Right! So who are the ones not suffering....you didn't say!

It's not a Regional strike, it's a national one.

I think Balto's point is that folk who get their bins emptied on Wednesdays are being more inconvenienced than us lucky folks who get our bins emptied on other days.;)

She does have a point. I'm all for workers' rights and I'm fully supportive of the council workers' strike, but it would make more sense to me if they were not always disrupting the same people (i.e. "Wednesday" folk!)

This doesn't just apply to bins - it applies to folk whose kids have a nursery slot on a Wednesday or who would routinely visit the library or swimming pool on a Wednesday.

Varying the strike days would cause disruption to a wider variety of people & surely that would be more effective?

highlander
06-Sep-08, 22:36
I do agree it is unfair that its the same day of the week is picked, the more strikes they do have and changing the days would maybe make the fat-cats sit up and notice, a few times we have missed the bin lorry, it made me more aware of the rubbish we have to bin, can anyone tell me why it does have to be wednesdays to have the strike days?

balto
06-Sep-08, 22:37
I think Balto's point is that folk who get their bins emptied on Wednesdays are being more inconvenienced than us lucky folks who get our bins emptied on other days.;)

She does have a point. I'm all for workers' rights and I'm fully supportive of the council workers' strike, but it would make more sense to me if they were not always disrupting the same people (i.e. "Wednesday" folk!)

This doesn't just apply to bins - it applies to folk whose kids have a nursery slot on a Wednesday or who would routinely visit the library or swimming pool on a Wednesday.

Varying the strike days would cause disruption to a wider variety of people & surely that would be more effective?
aye the swimming pool being closed is a pain aswell, as my daughter is in the squads at swim club and one of her training nights is a wed. i know there are plenty of folk that are being made to suffer not only my family, just wish they would think about it, and choose a different day each time.

Billy Boy
06-Sep-08, 22:44
aye the swimming pool being closed is a pain aswell, as my daughter is in the squads at swim club and one of her training nights is a wed. i know there are plenty of folk that are being made to suffer not only my family, just wish they would think about it, and choose a different day each time.

Just out of curiosity would you still have started this thread if the strikes were always happening on say a Tuesday or any other day, if it didnt directly affect you?

balto
06-Sep-08, 22:48
Just out of curiosity would you still have started this thread if the strikes were always happening on say a Tuesday or any other day, if it didnt directly affect you?
to be honest i doubt it, but it isnt the case . i would have thrown in my 2 pence worth though, at the end of the day it isnt fair that any of us suffer.

Billy Boy
06-Sep-08, 22:51
to be honest i doubt it, but it isnt the case . i would have thrown in my 2 pence worth though, at the end of the day it isnt fair that any of us suffer.

I just dont get it, How are you suffering? Or maybe your definition of suffering and mine are very very different.

balto
06-Sep-08, 23:04
I just dont get it, How are you suffering? Or maybe your definition of suffering and mine are very very different.
well mayby suffering is a bit strong, but the fact we have to keep black bags of rubbish sitting outside the house for a few weeks unto we can get rid of them, is a bit wrong if you ask me, its ok if you have a car or nice neighbours who will take you rubbish to the dump for you, but hey we arent all that lucky.

unicorn
06-Sep-08, 23:24
Have a bonfire :lol:

stiggy
07-Sep-08, 00:11
Does anyone know if the strike includes shcool auxiliary staff as well

balto
07-Sep-08, 00:12
Does anyone know if the strike includes shcool auxiliary staff as well
aye it is the same as last time, i know my 2 girls will be of school that day, oh wht a joy lol.

Billy Boy
07-Sep-08, 00:13
well mayby suffering is a bit strong, but the fact we have to keep black bags of rubbish sitting outside the house for a few weeks unto we can get rid of them, is a bit wrong if you ask me, its ok if you have a car or nice neighbours who will take you rubbish to the dump for you, but hey we arent all that lucky.

Lol what are you going to do when they go to fortnightly collections as is rumoured for the start of next year, This is already in action down south.
They maintain if you recycle properly you should only need them emptied once a fortnight.

balto
07-Sep-08, 00:14
Have a bonfire :lol:
aye and the council will come down on us like ton of bricks:lol::lol:

balto
07-Sep-08, 00:15
Lol what are you going to do when they go to fortnightly collections as is rumoured for the start of next year, This is already in action down south.
They maintain if you recycle properly you should only need them emptied once a fortnight.
as our baby is due at the start of december we will quilify for an extra bin, so no worrys there lol

Billy Boy
07-Sep-08, 00:21
I know that down in Glasgow where my mother in law lives they have stopped lifting second bins due to recycling and that just happened recently when were down visiting, ( they got leaflets through the door advising only one bin per household regardless of how many in the house ) so it will be the same up here eventually.
Like i said in my last post they say if you recycle properly one bin will be all you need and it will be lifted fortnightly.

Skerries
07-Sep-08, 08:20
I don't think the public realise just what it is the Highland Council is trying to force on its staff.

A member of my family works for the council (not as a bin man!) and they are proposing to change his normal working hours from 8am to 4.30pm, to 6am to 10pm!!!! :eek:

This is to avoid paying overtime rates. A paltry rise of a few pence is being offered in return for having to work from 6am to 10pm, when the council decides it needs something done. And of course if its normal working hours to that time, there is no option to say that you can't do it.

Venture
07-Sep-08, 09:37
I wasnt implying that you said they were being awkward :)

However it is not, as I was led to believe because of this dispute that they are now working to the rules. The binmen themselves apologised to us and siad if it were left to them they would lift a little extra but management reminded them they are not allowed to lift bags the policy changed recently.

Any of us who left out binbags or extra rubbish had a polite note stuck to our bin with the date of the change in policy which was within the last few months and an apology, they lifted the bags and wrote that they wouldnt be able to any more.

The lengths the council are willing to go to are beyond a joke to catch the binmen lifting what they are allowed :eek: .....the binmens words not mine.

I wish them all the best in their cause as I do all the others fighting for a decent pay rise.

Here is an example of how far one council went to spy on its bin men.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1053039/Council-use-anti-terror-laws-spy-binmen-accused-accepting-strawberry-pop-bribe-away-trade-waste.html

Welcomefamily
07-Sep-08, 09:51
I don't think the public realise just what it is the Highland Council is trying to force on its staff.
A member of my family works for the council (not as a bin man!) and they are proposing to change his normal working hours from 8am to 4.30pm, to 6am to 10pm!!!! :eek:

This is to avoid paying overtime rates. A paltry rise of a few pence is being offered in return for having to work from 6am to 10pm, when the council decides it needs something done. And of course if its normal working hours to that time, there is no option to say that you can't do it.

But dont most of the council staff have those conditions any way? they will still pay overtime if you go over your working hours. Some staff do need to get real, the strike is a question of pay, the councils conditions of service are excellent well beyond the private sector where generally the work is much harder and the conditions poorer without sick pay except statutory. Does your relative get full sick pay.

TRUCKER
07-Sep-08, 10:00
As far as i know it is on unison that r on strike the other unions have not decided what they are going to do.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Sep-08, 14:03
Here is an example of how far one council went to spy on its bin men.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1053039/Council-use-anti-terror-laws-spy-binmen-accused-accepting-strawberry-pop-bribe-away-trade-waste.html

The binmen I spoke to mentioned that they were never sure as to when someone form the council might see them lifting something they shouldnt and report back on them.........Hence no going out of there way for anyone. I accept this. I for one wouldnt like any of them carpeted for doing me a favour which they used to do regularly by lifting my extra rubbish and yes I am lazy at recycling ;) but getting better and I have two bins now as we have more than six in the family.